Media Videogame thread

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thinking about buying a Pheonix Wright game. I was hoping for some input on which one I should try first, or if I should just go for Ace Attorney. It seems like a fun game, but I want to know if the newer titles are any better than the first.
Ace Attorney is my favorite series! I feel like you should play them in order, because later games do build off of/reference events from earlier games, and it'll make more sense that way. If you want to skip ahead to later games (which are a lot more visually pleasing in my opinion), it should be okay to start with Dual Destinies. But I would recommend going in order. So that'd be the trilogy--Ace Attorney, Justice for All, and Trials and Tribulations--and then Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies.
There's also a spinoff series, but it's pretty different in terms of gameplay. Oh, and the crossover with Professor Layton, if you're interested in that.

I'm also pretty sure there's some special pack that includes the first three games, so you might want to look into that?

Ace Attorney is my favorite series! I feel like you should play them in order, because later games do build off of/reference events from earlier games, and it'll make more sense that way. If you want to skip ahead to later games (which are a lot more visually pleasing in my opinion), it should be okay to start with Dual Destinies. But I would recommend going in order. So that'd be the trilogy--Ace Attorney, Justice for All, and Trials and Tribulations--and then Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies.
There's also a spinoff series, but it's pretty different in terms of gameplay. Oh, and the crossover with Professor Layton, if you're interested in that.

I'm also pretty sure there's some special pack that includes the first three games, so you might want to look into that?
Thanks for the info! I have heard of the collection of the first three, and if I can find it i'll definitely buy it. It's probably best for me to start with the first though, to make sure I like it. :)

If you've got a PS3 then just off the top of my head I'd suggest any of Flow/Flower/Journey. They're generally pretty chilled out, though Journey in particular can be a bit emotional at some points, idk if that's something to note

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you've got a PS3 then just off the top of my head I'd suggest any of Flow/Flower/Journey. They're generally pretty chilled out, though Journey in particular can be a bit emotional at some points, idk if that's something to note
journey certainly has some stressful moments, but i have to echo this recommendation!!

i think flow is a little light, and flower would certainly do the job w/ its super chilled aesthetic and gameplay, but fuck, journey shot into my Best Favourite Games of All Time list and i replayed it over and over form then on

do it!!

hey guys, what are some ultra-relaxing games to check out? don't care about platform, just lookin' for titles
what type of games do you like to play? relaxing comes in all kinds of forms!! are you looking for like ambient and peaceful rpgs/platformers or just good things to zone out to? i'll post some of the things i like as an example

to relax I play:
- animal crossing (not for everyone, but very ambient and relaxed game you're SUPPOSED to play in small regular doses and enjoy life in, can be slow for some people, i play it like an addict so idk). other simulator games that arent focused on real time strategy can be similarly relaxing
- some procedurally-based rhythm games on pc with slower songs (titles i'd recommend for relaxation: audiosurf playing mono mode, melody's escape)
- puzzle games (brainpower games but still... literally anything can be found really it just depends what type of puzzles you like u_u sorry for the vagueness... i like brain teasers so i like the professor layton games a lot, and theyre very chill and soothing to explore and you can stop whenever.. picross? hell i do a lot of sudoku on my phone.. if you like more reflex-based games like tetris then something like meteos maybe? there are also really pretty artsy puzzle games on the pc you can pick up cheap because theyre indie, i found eufloria [concept is basically 'soothing ambient vaguely floral rts'] to be really boring personally for example but theres gems out there.)
- really pretty RPGs (child of light, it's not very hard and it's heavily focused into a gorgeous and stylised environment with great music. bastion or transistor but they can be a bit grindy and bastion imo can be really tense, but i dont die very often and its incredibly soothing and just you really need to listen to the music to either of these games ok, the atmosphere is so gentle for such hectic combat. you can play bastion and transistor as buttonmashers or incredibly intelligently depending on your combat preferences, i love playing hack and slash games so ya i found that peaceful)
- other narrative-based games (life is strange? to the moon will prolly make you cry and it's a one-time play for 2-5 hours)
- open-world RPGs, just install a shitload of mods and wander around doing literally nothing, good mindless timesink

some ppl like sandbox games for this, i dont play any but i used to play a lot of scribblenauts

honestly im not sure because some people find difficulty frustrating or would find the kinds of games i posted boring, i personally love playing srpgs and hard jrpgs and puzzle games to relax but sometimes they can be frustrating so idk??? what kinds of things do you find relaxing. cant go wrong with audiosurf though honestly i promise you.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
oh thomas was alone has a super nice mellow vibe too, with a great soundtrack to boot

eta i also rly like cities skylines. city builders that aren't stressfests are a good call for chilling out imho. at least for me building roads and stuff is a nice break from clickfest league of legends

RODAN

Banned deucer.
hey guys, what are some ultra-relaxing games to check out? don't care about platform, just lookin' for titles
for me the most relaxing games are the dynasty warriors series, but more in a stress relief sense. all the games in the series are the same mindnumbing gameplay but its just so fulfilling to mow through a horde of chinese soldiers y'know

thanks guys, i'll check those games out. we're going to have a relaxing game/free coffee event at our library during finals to promote our local video game club, which is why i was asking!! i've heard about flower and jouney but not so much stuff like the thomas one.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
\o/

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/bat...r-wars-battlefront-beta-is-coming-october-8th

Battlefront Open Beta from tomorrow onwards... I think it's preloadable from today as well. Shame my graphics card broke on Monday and I am awaiting a replacement card :(
Played the beta a lot last night, graphics are superb and the gameplay is pretty fun. Some of the maps have pretty shitty spawns, but I like the overall feel of the game at this point. Here's hoping to a much bigger variety of weapons in the final release though.

so i'm finally getting around to dark souls for the first time, it's really fucking hard

any tips for a new player? so far what i've been told is to prioritize weapon upgrades over leveling up stats, but i die a LOT so would it be better for me to liberally spend souls every time i get to a bonfire?

also i'm unclear as to exactly what the benefits of humanity are and when to use it apart from an emergency heal

so far i just beat the metal boar thing, i've probably died 70ish times so far

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
so i'm finally getting around to dark souls for the first time, it's really fucking hard

any tips for a new player? so far what i've been told is to prioritize weapon upgrades over leveling up stats, but i die a LOT so would it be better for me to liberally spend souls every time i get to a bonfire?

also i'm unclear as to exactly what the benefits of humanity are and when to use it apart from an emergency heal

so far i just beat the metal boar thing, i've probably died 70ish times so far
There's absolutely no reason not to spend all your souls leveling up early game. You can't even upgrade weapons unless you have the materials, so level those up if you have them and otherwise stat up.

Humanity does a few things. It turns you human, which is required to take advantage of a variety of the multiplayer features (this is worth doing). Once you are human, you can use humanity to kindle bonfires to get more estus out of them. Finally, humanity (the number in the top left corner) is actually a stat in and of itself. This actually levels you up while you have it, giving you more damage resistance and other things that you get from every level up. This is pretty noticeable if you can ever sit at 10 humanity (the maximum). Humanity as a stat gives you curse resistance and increases item drops (good for farming slugs in blight town).

Don't be discouraged by dying, it's not a progression blocker. Just spend those souls when you got em.

Biggest tip I can give to a new player? Two-hand when hitting things, esp bosses, and learn to switch between shield and two-hand super quick.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Shield and backstab, don't mess up your build.

There are two types of melee weapons, ones that focus on dex and ones that focus on str, with a few that focus on both. find out which ones u like better and level up the skill accordingly. Each weapon has a bonus for dex/str/int/faith in the form of letters, S being the best bonus, then A, B, C, D, and I think F ?

If you're using melee then level up vit, end, str/dex, and that skill that increases your weight load. distribute it equally among vit/end/(str/dex) and level up the weight load skill from time to time.

I don't recommend two handing at all unless you know what you're doing, and you're not supposed to know what you're doing when you literally just picked up dark souls.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I don't recommend two handing at all unless you know what you're doing, and you're not supposed to know what you're doing when you literally just picked up dark souls.
Maybe you're expecting him to play it 5 times and then move on to the rest of the series? It's a mostly single player game, there are no advanced strats for people who are "already good" and it's not even as hard a series as it's made out to be anyway.

A whole face button is dedicated to switching between one and two hand. 2-h gives damage that makes a wide variety of bosses in the first half MUCH more manageable while some normal enemies are made easier when you're able to stagger them better. Damage is king, which is why most people play as ghosts in Demon's.

Plus it's wasteful not to play this way. Attack with 2-h, switch to shield when spacing/regaining stamina. Why just throw away extra damage by not using the quick switch?

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since this is the video game thread I guess I'll post this here:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snlj3r

John "Totalbiscuit" Bain had his cancer spread to his liver and it's in a non-operable state. Sad to see this happen to one of the most influential (indie) game critics. I've very much enjoyed his content and hope he is an outlier than can pull through.

az

toddmoding
Jebus McAzn

play around with different weapons until you find a weapon you like the moveset on in dark souls, and upgrade it

don't listen to vonfiedler and pump all your souls into your character early; figure out how you want to play the game first

some people say that leveling your defenses is never wrong, but frankly "leveling up" your gameplay is infinitely more important. there's nothing wrong with tanking hits if you want to, but you'll never need to level up vit in souls if you learn to roll and read your surroundings

humanity on your character increases item drop rates, slightly increases your defenses, and has ~other uses~ you'll likely discover

but yes, also an emergency heal

hf! souls are the best

az

toddmoding
ps there absolutely is a reason to not spend your souls leveling up early; some stats you'll find you just don't have a need for when you know what kind of character you like, and leveling up gets more and more expensive as you go

by contrast, every starting weapon (should you like it) can carry you through the game fully upgraded

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
You are basically saying "get good noob" instead of actually being helpful. He's not even at bell gargoyles yet; he's not going to live a life of regret because he put a few unneeded points into str or vit (just don't ever ever put points into resistance).

Dark Souls is the only game in the series that doesn't force you to go a period of time without leveling up at all. Why encourage new players to waste that? They'll figure out how they want to play on their own, everyone keeps calling that the strength of the game don't they?

az

toddmoding
how is that at all what i'm saying?

i've been very explicitly helpful by describing things to work on that would have the best return -- being mindful of surroundings, and working on evasion

Dark Souls is the only game in the series that doesn't force you to go a period of time without leveling up at all. Why encourage new players to waste that?
literally no idea what you're trying to say here, bc it sure as hell sounds like you're contradicting your own earlier post and agreeing with mine

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
literally no idea what you're trying to say here, bc it sure as hell sounds like you're contradicting your own earlier post and agreeing with mine
You say not to level up. I say to level up. Why make the game artificially difficult?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)