Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

That said, Landorus-T is still a very potent mon in OU, and you should definitely focus on its sets even if both were here because a SR-able Landorus can't have Sheer Force (HA), meaning it's better suited to Lando-T.

Stealth Rock + Sheer Force is a legal combination through BW2 move tutors, it is almost certainly legal

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Are there any good stallbreakers for HO?
DD / SD Outrage Zard-X, Mixed DD Mega Altaria, BD Azu, Hoopa-U, SubCM Keldeo, SD Soft Sand Lando-T, Magma Storm Taunt Heatran, LO Taunt Torn-T, Taunt MGardevoir, Taunt Gengar, Taunt Serperior, TauntDD MGyarados, SD Diggersby, SD Toxic Orb Breloom, SD Mega Heracross, Crawdaunt, Mega Garchomp and some other more gimmicky stuff such as Pangoro, DD Zard-Y and Chandelure

Last edited:
I was starting to wonder when people would realize things like Volcarona, MCharX, Keldeo, and Raikou are great Stallbreakers with appropriate sets. Not just things with Taunt.

SD Glisor and SD TOrb Breloom deserve special mention as they can't be statused, and the item unfavorable for Goth

Lol Volcarona doesnt give a shit about any stall mons bar Chansey.

A question: what are tank fable advantages over other offensive fairies?

Lol Volcarona doesnt give a shit about any stall mons bar Chansey.

A question: what are tank fable advantages over other offensive fairies?
It hits decently hard with Magic Guard+Life Orb, while having actual coverage and reliable recovery (unlike, say, Sylveon or Azu), and the lack of Calm Mind is somewhat compensated for by the max HP investment. Not running CM, for its part, gives you an open slot to run some pretty neat surprise coverage.

p2

Banned deucer.
What does 192 speed on a timid manaphy beat? That's the spread I run, but I can't for the life of me remember why lol.
192 w/ Timid reaches 312, which outspeeds max speed base 92s by 1 point, no idea why you'd speed creep krookodile of all things though

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I personally prefer max on Mana to tie with 100s, but customising it to the needs of the team is a very valid approach. I don't really see the merit of your current speed tier on beamless variants tbh.

If you want to creep Lando-T you can go with 184, and if you wanna go for Exca you can drop it to 160. I wouldn't go much lower than that personally
192 w/ Timid reaches 312, which outspeeds max speed base 92s by 1 point, no idea why you'd speed creep krookodile of all things though
It also creeps MegaChomp, but yea it is a kinda random speed tier.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
You're probably running it for Zard X and Volc with 184 Timid / Jolly because they hit 310. The extra speed point is nice to speedcreep some mons like MChomp and Kyurem-B

Reactions: Kav
This might sound like a stupid question and very situational, but let's say the opponent has a Mega Heracross and then a regular Gyarados for whatever reason and I have a Ditto with a Gyaradosite, would I be able to mega evolve into the Gyarados? (obviously If I haven't mega evolved yet)

This might sound like a stupid question and very situational, but let's say the opponent has a Mega Heracross and then a regular Gyarados for whatever reason and I have a Ditto with a Gyaradosite, would I be able to mega evolve into the Gyarados? (obviously If I haven't mega evolved yet)
Don't believe so since the base pokemon is still ditto.

192 mana is to speed creep the things that are speed creeping the things that speed creep lando t.

Really though sketchups right. Zardx and volc like to hit 310 speed so that they beat scarf lando after a boost. And manaphy wants to outspeed those. The extra point is probably just because people odd numbered HPs.

192 mana is to speed creep the things that are speed creeping the things that speed creep lando t.

Really though sketchups right. Zardx and volc like to hit 310 speed so that they beat scarf lando after a boost. And manaphy wants to outspeed those. The extra point is probably just because people odd numbered HPs.
Yeah that sounds more like the reason why I did it. Thanks for helping me remember lol.

For Earth Plate Lando what's the recommended nature? I see a lot more use of Adamant than Jolly because the extra power makes a huge difference.
Adamant is better because Lando will hit extremely hard with earthquake. Added to this, it almost guarantees certain 2HKOs like the annoying 252hp/252 def bold clefable
252+ Atk Earth Plate Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 205-243 (52 - 61.6%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also Earth Plate sets usually run Rock Polish which after one can outspeed almost any poke in the game. So really no need for Jolly

Last edited:
Yeah that's the general idea however the options are vast. Depending on you're team, if you need to outspeed timid tran you're gonna need 244 EVs speed minimum. Also If you have a stealth rocker, Stealth Rock can be replaced by Swords Dance or Rock Polish to make an extremely threatening Double Dance set. And if you're like me and get haxed mercilessly, Knock Off can possibly replace stone edge. However stone edge is much better since the Knock Off set gets walled by toge, gyarados etc.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
IMO the best Lando spread atm if u wanna beat timid tran is just max/max because 244 is kinda pointless considering those extra 8 evs aren't gonna do anything aside from make u lose the tie with opposing lando lol

At the end of the day, like babash said, it is very team-dependent what spread you go for, as sometimes the bulk is necessary and sometimes the speed is. The least speed it should run is for hasty hoopa-u (I wouldn't go anywhere below this benchmark), and just make sure that your benchmark is faster than that.

How are people so good at creating supremely efficient EV spreads? Is there a guide to that anywhere here, is it intuitive, or do people sit at the damage calculator and tinker for half an hour?

How are people so good at creating supremely efficient EV spreads? Is there a guide to that anywhere here, is it intuitive, or do people sit at the damage calculator and tinker for half an hour?
Since +natures add 10% after everything else is added up, the highest stat should always be the one with the +nature (excluding HP). Case in point this post by SketchUp just now: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...landorus-therian.3548442/page-17#post-6527559
Looking at the previous spread, the +nature was in SpA, but Victini's speed was higher, so you can straight away see that there can be a more efficient spread.

After that you can look for jump points, which only apply to the +natured stat, this article explains it better than I can: http://www.smogon.com/xy/articles/stats (about 1/3 of the way down)

Martin

Spreads are simple once you get the hang of it. Usually, I do spreads last because I can see what my team is weak to. When on an archetype like HO, most spreads will be 252/252 spreads. However, balance and bulky offense are much more complicated, as you need to strike a balance (no pun intended) between attacking power and taking the hits you need to take. When I'm doing this, I look at all three of benchmarks, jump points and overall bulk calculations. With something like Wobbuffet which has its bulkiest spread be maxing both defenses, it is easy because I can just put enough HP to hit a benchmark, lower the defensive stat as much as I need to minimise the EV consumption when hitting the benchmark (e.g. for wobb to take an ada LO bish's KOff from full, you need to move 12 SpD EVs into HP and then shift 4 of the EVs from defense to special defense to minimise consumption). Then, I go for speed benchmarks. Using the wobb example from before, I need to retain my benchmark - so i move the 20 EVs needed to outpace neutral Quag out of SpD, and I have my spread sorted.

For other Pokemon, such as Amoonguss, getting an optimal spread is much harder due to maximum overall bulk not being a simple 252/252 spread. A nice tool I commonly use for pokemon like these is http://pokestudio.altervista.org/defevs.php because it gives you the most optimal spread with a number of multipliers (barring shit like Fur Coat, most of these modifiers can be substituted by +1 or whatever if the item isn't visible on the side bar). Plug its gen 6 base stats into the calculate, enter the number of remaining EVs (i.e. after power+speed benchmarks are accounted for) and click calculate to get a starting point. Then you can tailor it to live a hit from there. The balance bar at the bottom can also be used to get a rough idea as to what more catagory-oriented spreads should look like, making it easier to tailor the right EVs to, say, live 2 HP Ices from Thundurus (no particular pokemon, just plucking something out of thin air here lol). From there, just follow the steps in the paragraph above this one.

Offensively, EVing to KO something and/or outpace something can be important - especially for mixed attackers like Hoopa-U, Thundurus or Kyurem-B. Some pokemon have incredibly important speed benchmarks, such as Thundurus sitting at 111/tying with opposing Thundurus - making max speed important and leaving you with 256 EVs to work with - while others have weird stats which are between 2 more important benchmarks, such as Landorus-T being between base 100s and Heatran/Bisharp/whatever - making speed less important and, as a result, allowing you to invest more into your other attacking stat/bulk. Contrary to defensive, a general rule of thumb is to get your speed benchmark right before going for your power benchmarks, as it lets you gauge the maximum investment that is worth aiming for, and make good use of the damage calculator and speed tier resource to do these.

When you EV to KO something/live a hit with a positive nature and are 1-2 stat points below the jump point, it is often a good idea to invest a little more than you need so as to hit a jump point (a point where you get 2 points for 4 evs instead of 1), making your spread more efficient by giving you an extra stat point (or an effective 512 EVs). However, much more than 1-2 stat points below isn't often worth it because it can potentially compromise too many points from your other stats to the point of going for the jump point being pointless.

I hope I've been helpful :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)