Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

I'm just realizing something; under the current ESRB rules are GF legally allowed to put these on the eshop exactly as they were considering they haven't been allowed to do the Game Corner since Platinum onwards?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
They might get it in unaltered via grandfathering it or whatever it's called. Alternatively, the rating will change like what happened to EarthBound.

Not sure if they will fix the battle mechanics though - remember Psychics being immune to Ghost-type moves despite the NPC saying otherwise? And how Bug and Ghost attacks are underpowered or have bad distribution. No breeding also means it's hard to get starters. RBY also had some pretty weird TM selection which opens. Wonder how that interacts with the newer games. (are they keeping the Physical / Special split or having all the Special stats count under "Special"?)

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I'm just realizing something; under the current ESRB rules are GF legally allowed to put these on the eshop exactly as they were considering they haven't been allowed to do the Game Corner since Platinum onwards?
Seems pretty likely the game corner will remain in via grandfathering. Removing the game corner in the newer games may have not have been a big deal, but let's not forget it serves as a plot point in these games; I imagine Game Freak will do what they can to leave it unaltered.

We can always abuse the save states as well. It isn't gambling if we're all cheating the slots. o3o

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Or shall we also guess what Jynx's face color will be?
They changed her in the TCG gameboy game, but it seems that RBY are monochrome.

Yeah, if I recall correctly in the Direct they said that the games were going to be as unchanged as possible, meaning we should expect direct ports that simply have had wireless functionality added. That being said, ports have been known to have slightly different glitches and such in other games before, so it's possible not all the glitches will work exactly the same way.

Either way, I'm looking forward to replacing the Yellow version I lost years ago through this. It'd be wild if battles work over wireless too, it'll be the first time I've had a 1st gen battle with someone off a simulator in well over a decade.

Yeah, if I recall correctly in the Direct they said that the games were going to be as unchanged as possible, meaning we should expect direct ports that simply have had wireless functionality added. That being said, ports have been known to have slightly different glitches and such in other games before, so it's possible not all the glitches will work exactly the same way.

Either way, I'm looking forward to replacing the Yellow version I lost years ago through this. It'd be wild if battles work over wireless too, it'll be the first time I've had a 1st gen battle with someone off a simulator in well over a decade.
Battles do work wirelessly :) Just... not online as far as we know.

Huh, interesting. This definitely brings about a few possibilities. It'd definitely be cool if they give it online features, like GTS trading or Wonder-Trading, and online battling. It'd definitely be a reason to get the game for sure.

I wonder if they'll do any special edits to the game, like colour scheme, or adding special events, etc. Probably not, but it'd be cool if they added in Mew somewhere to get.

Reactions: JES
Yeah, the VC games will most probably be censored. I thought to myself: How they heck will they even censor it? You have to go into the Game Corner to go to the Rocket Hideout and progress the story. Will they just block using the slots will some bullshit like "You're too young to use the slots!" because that would be stupid.

Probably something like that, yes. They have to do it since PEGI changed their own classification standards. It's illegal to push gambling onto kids in many European countries. Yes, even for minor minigames, it's retarded I know. So they have to remove it if they want to sell it there.

Yeah, the VC games will most probably be censored. I thought to myself: How they heck will they even censor it? You have to go into the Game Corner to go to the Rocket Hideout and progress the story. Will they just block using the slots will some bullshit like "You're too young to use the slots!" because that would be stupid.

Probably something like that, yes. They have to do it since PEGI changed their own classification standards. It's illegal to push gambling onto kids in many European countries. Yes, even for minor minigames, it's retarded I know. So they have to remove it if they want to sell it there.
The thing is, this is an anniversary re-release, not a remake. I would find it far more likely that they would simply raise the ESRB rating before they would make any kind of impactful alteration, even for the game corner. I feel that the only reason that they've added wireless capabilities is out of pure necessity; even if the 3DS did have a cable port, it would be somewhat detrimental to require it's use when it already has wireless capabilities. I very much doubt there will be any major changes to the overworld, the story, or the mechanics, because these games are being released, first and foremost for the sake of nostalgia.

That said, I think that both the glitches and whatever wireless capabilities these games will have are solid grey areas concerning what alterations they will make. While the glitches are a part of the original game's history, it's important to note that they were flaws in the programming, and were not originally intended to be a part of the game play experience. It would be very easy, and fair even, for them to justify fixing these glitches for this reason. Disappointing, perhaps, but fair.

I don't think they'll go overboard with the wireless capabilities, but given the emphasis they've been putting into communications and connections between players in the more recent, I can't see them not implementing some form of online communications; at the very least, I would expect to see online trading and battling. What they do beyond that, if anything, depends on how they handle the former Cable Club. I can't quite see a GTS, let alone Wonder Trading, being included, but i can't deny that it's not a possibility; Mystery Gifts might be included, because I just don't see them being done with the game after they release it, but what I do see as a very realistic possibility is that an official Gen I VGC will be sponsored as something of a side league.

Anyway, if Mystery Gifts actually are included, I would love to see an event for Mew that involves Vermillion's truck in some way.

I don't think they'll go overboard with the wireless capabilities, but given the emphasis they've been putting into communications and connections between players in the more recent, I can't see them not implementing some form of online communications; at the very least, I would expect to see online trading and battling. What they do beyond that, if anything, depends on how they handle the former Cable Club. I can't quite see a GTS, let alone Wonder Trading, being included, but i can't deny that it's not a possibility; Mystery Gifts might be included, because I just don't see them being done with the game after they release it, but what I do see as a very realistic possibility is that an official Gen I VGC will be sponsored as something of a side league.
Online battling and trading on Pokémon Yellow, my first ever Pokémon game, damn.. I just got a really warm feeling in my heart thinking about that.

Please, make this happen.

Online battling and trading on Pokémon Yellow, my first ever Pokémon game, damn.. I just got a really warm feeling in my heart thinking about that.

Please, make this happen.
I think it'd come down to WHERE they could add it. I mean, would they just change up the pokemon center so that when you go to the right of the center you have the option of battling wirelessly or online? Or would they just have it like in X and Y with an extra option being added at the bottom screen?

I have a good feeling that it might be like using the IR to initiate the trading and battling. Maybe an outside prompt to tell you what to do. With IR, you get a super quick setup for regular wireless like we had back in BW era. It'll finally give the IR port a use besides Amiibos and Skylanders.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the IR feature built into the cartridges of the Gen V games and not the DS? They always felt a bit heavier compared to the carts of other games.

Now, one thing about bugs and glitches and whatnot. I know a lot of you guys want to have the Missingno. glitch and stuff like that, and that'll probably be kept in. But what about stuff like Focus Energy quartering crit ratio, Psychic being immune to Ghost, and crits ignoring stat changes beneficial to the attacker? The first two, at least, are contrary to how the games were supposed to work, and I'm certainly hoping they'll fix those.

Now, one thing about bugs and glitches and whatnot. I know a lot of you guys want to have the Missingno. glitch and stuff like that, and that'll probably be kept in. But what about stuff like Focus Energy quartering crit ratio, Psychic being immune to Ghost, and crits ignoring stat changes beneficial to the attacker? The first two, at least, are contrary to how the games were supposed to work, and I'm certainly hoping they'll fix those.
I think it's either all or nothing. I honestly think there will be no bugs and glitches, because that's not how the games were intended to work. So probably no Missingo glitch, and also no Toxic + Leech Seed or useless Focus Energy bugs.

The thing about this is that it's really just red and blue being played on an emulator with a different method used for trading and battling. There's really no reason to assume any changes will be made; from adding a GTS to removing the Focus Energy glitch.

The thing about this is that it's really just red and blue being played on an emulator with a different method used for trading and battling. There's really no reason to assume any changes will be made; from adding a GTS to removing the Focus Energy glitch.
We will see. Like Kiga said.

I strongly doubt they'll implement online capabilities, as that would require actually adding features that were never in the original games.

What people don't seem to be grasping here is that this is a PORT, like all VC games. I strongly doubt they're going to edit ANYTHING in the game itself; I suspect the wireless thing is actually them just tricking the game into thinking that the wireless connection is a link cable. The features needed to set up the wireless connection will be in the VC interface on the bottom screen, not in the game itself, similar to the save states already present in 3DS VC games. Any changes in the game itself, if there are any at all, will be due to the fact that it's a port and therefore not running on the original hardware.

If the gambling becomes a problem for ratings, they'll just increase the rating like they did with Earthbound. After all, the target audience for these games is going to be mostly adults, since kids that didn't grow up with the 1st gen games won't have the nostalgia that is going to be the driving force for the sale of these ports. They aren't going to go into the game and try to change it almost 20 years later.

I strongly doubt they'll implement online capabilities, as that would require actually adding features that were never in the original games.

What people don't seem to be grasping here is that this is a PORT, like all VC games. I strongly doubt they're going to edit ANYTHING in the game itself; I suspect the wireless thing is actually them just tricking the game into thinking that the wireless connection is a link cable. The features needed to set up the wireless connection will be in the VC interface on the bottom screen, not in the game itself, similar to the save states already present in 3DS VC games. Any changes in the game itself, if there are any at all, will be due to the fact that it's a port and therefore not running on the original hardware.

If the gambling becomes a problem for ratings, they'll just increase the rating like they did with Earthbound. After all, the target audience for these games is going to be mostly adults, since kids that didn't grow up with the 1st gen games won't have the nostalgia that is going to be the driving force for the sale of these ports. They aren't going to go into the game and try to change it almost 20 years later.
The thing is, if I recall correctly some releases had the bugs fixed. So I don't see why they wouldn't try to keep all them the same in that regard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)