The Everything some hero (NFL) Thread - 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's always interesting when scoring a TD is the "wrong" move. The Seahawks had one game a season or two ago, I think against the Saints?, where Lynch went into the endzone for a TD. But... that left the other team plenty of time to make a miracle drive for a TD. If he had slid right before the endzone and we wasted 3 downs to eat up the clock that would've been the "smarter" play. On the other hand our red zone offense has been Dubious in the past so the claim could also be made to NOT get the TD is the worse move, let your defense take the field and make the stop. We won the game so in that instance, even though it left plenty of time for a counter-TD, it was the best move.

Still, the circumstances where it's smarter to put off scoring a TD are intriguing to see.

Man that game was hood tho. When it's low scoring not cause either defense is good but cause the offenses are rat poison.

We won the game so in that instance, even though it left plenty of time for a counter-TD, it was the best move.
That's not how it works ???

On first and goal with under two minutes if the other team has limited timeouts, it is almost always better to take three kneel downs and go for the game winning kick with 99% accuracy. Even if the odds the other team scores a TD with <2m and no timeouts is only 5-10% (I would guess it is higher) you give yourself the bet chance to win this way. The failure rate on extra points last season was 0.6%, so the 99% chance of making a field goal within the five yard line is probably true or close enough.

This is why a smart coach like BB let the Giants score the winning touchdown in the Super Bowl a few years ago. He knew, like all coaches should know but don't, that it gave them the only realistic chance at victory. Even though they won, the Giants would have had far better odds taking a knee there and kicking with <10 seconds.

The problem is that not all coaches can take knees because of the backlash if they fail. There are only a few coaches in the league(sb winners + lewis) that could live through that mistake.

Also, i don't think there's been an undefeated team this late in the season that is as likable as the Panthers. Cam is just a fun guy and the Panthers being garbo until recently prevents the us from feeling jealousy from their success. Since i'm a fan of the most successful franchise since 2007 i don't really dislike teams that start winning like the hawks or packers. Cam may not be dropping 350 yards a game, but they're a very fun team to watch.

And no, i don't believe that they'll go undefeated. People look at the schedule of atl,nyg, atl and bucs as a schedule of softies but that schedule is BRUTAL. Divisional games are always tough, and playing a divisional opponent twice in 3 weeks is tough and i doubt that they win both games. Plus they're going against the Giants, so there's also that.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Anyway, I remember back in September y'all jag fans being all cocky about your team. Now look at you guys, out of the playoff race while the giants are still in the mix in week 14. Heh
When did we say we were going to be better than the giants? If I were you, I would be ashamed that my team is one win better than the Jags when they're in a worse division and play a weaker schedule. Oh and if the Texans lose this week and the Jags win against the beaten and battered colts at home, the Jags are STILL a game out of 1st place. At least we aren't 5-7 and tied for the division lead, lol.
The problem is that not all coaches can take knees because of the backlash if they fail. There are only a few coaches in the league(sb winners + lewis) that could live through that mistake.

Also, i don't think there's been an undefeated team this late in the season that is as likable as the Panthers. Cam is just a fun guy and the Panthers being garbo until recently prevents the us from feeling jealousy from their success. Since i'm a fan of the most successful franchise since 2007 i don't really dislike teams that start winning like the hawks or packers. Cam may not be dropping 350 yards a game, but they're a very fun team to watch.

And no, i don't believe that they'll go undefeated. People look at the schedule of atl,nyg, atl and bucs as a schedule of softies but that schedule is BRUTAL. Divisional games are always tough, and playing a divisional opponent twice in 3 weeks is tough and i doubt that they win both games. Plus they're going against the Giants, so there's also that.
Panthers may not finish a perfect season because they are likely to rest starters. If they played through it all they probably could finish 16-0 but I don't expect them to keep the foot on the gas. Although, history shows it may be smarter to keep your starters on the field; breaking the habit of playing a game each week can be costly for a team.

>fan of most successful franchise since 2007
>teams that start winning like the PACKERS (they literally had one losing season in between the farve and rodgers era, they didn't "start" winning.

it's almost like people don't know the Eagles scored 3 defensive/special teams touchdowns.

even without Gronk and Edelman the Patriots outgained them almost 2:1 on yardage and 34:26 time of possession. the difference in the game was literally a 10 point swing on a tipped pass at the goal line that was run the other way for a touchdown.

the Eagles may have beaten the Patriots, but they sure as hell didn't outplay them. that's fine, it happens to everyone a couple of times a season usually.

it's almost like people don't know the Eagles scored 3 defensive/special teams touchdowns.

even without Gronk and Edelman the Patriots outgained them almost 2:1 on yardage and 34:26 time of possession. the difference in the game was literally a 10 point swing on a tipped pass at the goal line that was run the other way for a touchdown.

the Eagles may have beaten the Patriots, but they sure as hell didn't outplay them. that's fine, it happens to everyone a couple of times a season usually.
Football is a game won on all three phases. If you consider the offenses only, then yeah, the patriots were better. But then you are ignoring the other two phases, and that's so not cool.

With the exception of the beginning and the end, the meat of the game was a pathetic effort by the patriots.

And even if they had played better, what ultimately matters is the final result. The Broncos were dismantled by the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. The Seahawks were one run away from winning last year. Both ended the game with an L, and that's what goes to the history books. The patriots lost to the eagles, that's the fact of matter.

outgaining a team 450-250 means you punked them on both offense and defense, as does winning time of possession. thus, the Patriots won two/three phases of the game, so they should have won by your logic.

obviously the end result is the only thing that matters, but if you think that means the team that wins is always better then I have some nice real estate to sell you.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Say the Patriots played that game against the Eagles 10 more times. If anyone here thinks the Eagles win more than 1 of those 10, that person is an idiot.

1 in 10 is like the bare minimum chance that any team has to win any game. Honestly, I could point to almost any good team in the league, and find a game they should have only had a 1 in 10 chance of losing, yet still lost. Shit I'll do it right now for all the other 8-10 win teams.
  • Bengals losing to Texans
  • Cardinals losing to Big Ben's backups and the Rams at home
  • Packers losing to Lions/Bears
  • Vikings losing to 49ers
  • Broncos losing to Chiefs (it's not super surprising that they lost, but it's how they got crushed in Denver)
I don't think the Patriots losing to the Eagles is more surprising than any of those.

In general, I feel like special teams don't get enough credit simply because special teams isn't winning at the end of games. They're winning by consistently getting a few yards better field position every drive, with a chance to break out big plays. Over a full game it adds up but special teams almost never has the opportunity to be "clutch" so people don't care as much. But the Eagles special teams are actually good, and they clearly looked like it last week.

Total yards doesn't really mean shit, how many yards did the Patriots waste driving before their pick-six? Who cares, it was still returned for a TD. Besides, the fact that the Eagles got three special teams/defensive TDs means they were robbed of three offensive drives, of course they're going to have less yards then.

i don't get why people get salty about stuff like this

yeah obviously the special teams played well, the eagles made some great plays etc etc

but the reason people are saying the victory was fluky is because D/ST TOUCHDOWNS ARE FLUKY AS FUCK

AS IN THAT SHIT DON'T HAPPEN EVERY GAME

AND THEY GOT 3 OF THEM IN ONE GAME

3!!!

it's incredibly unlikely to replicate that kind of success week in and week out, and when you do it against probably the best team in the league and only win by a touchdown

it looks fluky as fuck. no one is discrediting how great those plays were, though.

Idk about you guys but I feel like Pittsburgh has a pretty good shot 2 make the SB or win it all IF every1else stays healthy on that roster

pls don't trigger me mentioning 49. only 48 exists.

in fact sb48 is the only sb that needs to exist, at all, ever. alllll the others can just fade away into the void bing bong vanished to.

especially 40. literally can go die.
Nah. The only Super Bowls to exist are 5 and 40. 3 and 44 can GTFO.
In all seriousness, the Seahawks are back and everyone is scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)