Partners in Crime

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
I was just making an example and I know those Mons are unviable. Anyway I think that a way to deal with Hidden Power is treating each different one as a separate move so that we can use two hidden powers with confusion.

Someone has to make an Anything Goes version of this.
Yeah i know i was just joking

but yeah i dont know how that would be possible to treat them as different moves because all of the moves use the same ID and number on PS which would make it pretty hard

tehy

Banned deucer.
TBH, core from the last page but updated:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Amnesia / Protect

Just boost everything, while unleashing that yellow color on everything too. Any team without boosting moves is quickly going to find itself failing to overwhelm you and those that are are still getting paralysed and battered. Kinda imperfect since the other team can fit an SD or NP somewhere but then again, once you get going you're gone.

Maleovex

Lt. Col. of The Kyergrzstan Killer Beez
I've been collecting all my cores in 1 post but this deserves a special mention

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Imprison
- Transform
- Protect
- Follow Me

Wobbuffet @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Safeguard
- Destiny Bond
- Mirror Coat

Yeah. Basically send this in on something that beats your team, setup, and those mons are dead, click Follow me if you only want to beat 1 mon

I'm not sure why Hidden power is difficult to understand, the logical thing to do would be to allow multiple hidden types as you have two pokemon with seperate IVs

DoW

formally Death on Wings
I'm not sure why Hidden power is difficult to understand, the logical thing to do would be to allow multiple hidden types as you have two pokemon with seperate IVs
From the perspective of in-game mechanics, where the move is just treated as Hidden Power, I'd say the opposite is true - when a pokemon uses hidden power, the typing matches its IVs and if one pokemon has hidden power in this meta then both have hidden power. From the perspective of how GF seem to view it, that would appear to be the logical conclusion.

Please keep in mind this is a Doubles meta, and Singles assumptions often do not hold. Most of the hypothetical cores people are listing are "This combination of traits would be amazing in Singles" but are so bad from a Doubles perspective that a Partners in Crime team using these cores somehow faced with a competent Doubles team not using Partners in Crime rules would lose horribly.

• Contrary Serperior getting +4 Leaf Storms after 1 Leaf Storm.
Serperior isn't that great in Doubles, and Doubles doesn't need nightmarish wallbreakers of that sort. (Hence part of why Serperior isn't that great in Doubles) Plus, your best Simple abuser/donater -Swoobat- resents having Contrary turn its Calm Minds into -2/-2.

Besides, Serperior is a much better partner with Draco Meteor abusers like Latias.
I'll give you this one because Cresselia is a staple Doubles choice, and does indeed run Physically Defensive Calm Mind in Doubles.
  • DD Gyarados (which gives the partner Intimidate at the start too just to be even more annoying)
... and? Gyarados is acceptable in Doubles, but I already said setup just isn't as important in Doubles.
  • SD Tyranitar (since it gets a Sand Rush partner most likely it will not need speed boosts, but those are cool too I guess)
Doubles largely trends away from Pokemon bulky enough to justify instant +4 being good. Even considering that you'd then spray Rock Slides at the enemy at +4... well, for one thing, for this to be viable you'd be best off trying to use Swoobat/whoever as a suicide partner, and ensuring they're alive in time for the Swords Dance, so that you can then, yes, suicide-switch in Excadrill or something. Since Swoobat doesn't have access to Endure, this is problematic to actually set up. (If it had Endure, you could count on Sand Stream finishing it at the end of the turn, with nothing KOing it prior to Tyranitar Swords Dancing)
Better, since it turns Intimidate into +2 instead of +1. (-2 from Simple Intimidate, +4 from Simple Defiant) Still, Swoobat is Specially inclined, Numel is used more for defensive gimmicks, and Bibarel is garbage, so the partner gets little benefit out of the combination.
No Competitive Pokemon is particularly viable in Doubles. Partners in Crime might change this, but even if it does I will be surprised if it has anything to do with Simple.
Speed Boost Blaziken only needs +1 for 90% of the meta, is kind of meh in Doubles, and is likely to be even worse in Partners in Crime, since now powerful priority is going to be widely available. (Aerilate Extreme Speed Dragonite+Mega Pinsir laugh at you, especially since they both have Multiscale too) The ally getting a +2 to Speed helps, but, again, priority, and Simple 'mons aren't great.
Great job OHKOing your Swoobat. Numel probably survives, but it struggles to heal itself in the best of times, and Mega Diancie doesn't help. Bibarel is garbage. Worse, depending on the timing, OHKOing Swoobat may well mean you only get the normal +1.
Again, the Physically inclined Simple Pokemon are bad, and setup just isn't that good in Doubles. (Dragon Dance and Quiver Dance are the main boosting that remain relevant, as Speed control is huge in Doubles) If you're going to go for Simple, it really ought to be Swoobat supporting a Specially inclined booster, like turning Volcarona's Quiver Dance into Geomancy.

EDIT: SIMPLE BEAM THOUGH GETTING THOSE -4 EERIE IMPULSES
Simple Beam+Intimidate spam has some potential. Icy Wind is also popular Speed control in Doubles, and Simple Beam followed by Icy Wind could be good stuff.

Edit 2: I also forgot Download
Why on earth would I want to waste supporting Scarf Porygon-Z with Simple Download and hope for an instant +2 when I can donate Boomburst via Telepathy-capable Noivern? (Among other vastly superior combos) I guess there's Genesect, but it would really rather see other supporters, too.

Also I agree Scarf Delcatty will become incredibly stupid on Perish+Trap types of teams.
.... I had not even considered that you can Scarf it.

Ugh.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Dragon Claw
- Protect
- Fusion Bolt

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
Kyurem-Black's Speed tier is bad, Intimidate is everywhere in Doubles (Scarfed Landorus-Therian was, last I heard, the single most common Pokemon on the ladder), and boosting+Mold Breaker just isn't that relevant to Doubles because Unaware isn't that relevant to Doubles. (Even with Partners in Crime making Unaware more viable, I have my doubts the core will be good)

This looks nifty on paper, but I don't think it will be that good in practice.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Low Kick

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Protect
No Aqua Jet for dual priority? No Dragon Dance for Speed advantage? (Much more important than going from +1 to +2, and you can replace Swords Dance on Bisharp with Knock Off while Knock Off on Crawdaunt becomes Dragon Dance)

Still, better. A core potentially able to sweep entire teams on its own, if they're too reliant on Scarves, particularly Landorus-Therian.

Shaymin-Sky @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Protect
- Rest

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
Shaymin-Sky is going to die to all the priority spam, setup isn't that good in Doubles, 100/100/100 bulk is not enough to survive being focus-fired, even with a good typing like Manaphy's. Serene Grace Scalds have a bit more potential, but are not in line with trying to set up and vaporize everything. The core is also highly susceptible to weather-based Speed boosters, and weather is highly viable in Doubles.

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Helping Hand

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
That should not be labeled Kangaskhan-Mega.

Nifty, but Sableye will still Burn Mega Lucario before it can hit it with Close Combat, setup is still weak in Doubles, and Kangaskhan is questionable. Yeah, boosted +2 Scrappy Extreme Speed is cool, but then you get hit with Intimidate spam (Which will be stronger here), Burns are very popular in Doubles... I'm skeptical.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick
Still boost-obsessed, but this is definitely liable to be a viable core, or something very similar to it at least.

Jirachi @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Doom Desire
- Protect
- Flash Cannon
- Follow Me

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
Doom Desire is too slow in Doubles, boosting Doom Desire is too slow in Doubles, Jirachi's Speed tier is inadequate, Follow Me spam won't last long, especially since Jirachi is Life Orb and has no durability EVs... this is a bad core.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Earthquake

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Protect
Doubles is too offensively inclined for Roost/Multiscale abuse to be all that viable, but this pair is definitely going to be a nightmare. A note: Dragonite is very often Weakness Policy in Doubles, and with good reason.

Gyarados @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Protect
Repeat after me: set up is not that good in Doubles. An Intimidate/Poison Heal Substitute abusing set up sweeper would be amazing in Singles. In Doubles it dies before it gets going. The core is also hard-stopped by Clefable paired with Mega Sableye -they ignore your boosts and bounce back Taunt and Toxic, and use you as setup fodder.

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Encore

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Swift
- Giga Drain
- Fake Out
- Protect
I ca't imagine why Ludicolo has Swift, and Choice Specs Politoed is bad in Doubles, but the pair is definitely going to be a vicious core.

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick
- Gunk Shot
- Dark Pulse

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 236 Atk / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Protect
I'd seriously consider having Water Shuriken on Greninja, actually. The core has potential, though I suspect they'll be overshadowed by stuff like Mega Pinsir+Dragonite.

Landorus-Therian @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Superpower

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt
- Flare Blitz
Better, though still too defensively inclined/boost-obsessed. U-Turn is your friend, and Taunt is more limited in utility in Doubles than in Singles, if you're going to be boosting anyway. (Taunt is more for stopping hazards than it is for shutting down stall, in Doubles)

Chatot @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Keen Eye
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Boomburst
- Sing
- Chatter

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
Honestly? Probably actively bad in Partners in Crime. Chatot is too much of a blow to your quality, auto-Sleep is merely good in Doubles, rather than amazing, and Mega Pidgeot doesn't actually get a big boost out of Boomburst (Hurricane is often going to be superior), especially since using Boomburst is going to kill your Boomburst donater. Noivern is a better donater, with Telepathy to make Boomburst non-suicidal, still has Nasty Plot, an actually good Speed tier letting it skip the Scarf, etc.

Volcarona @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hurricane

Swoobat @ Leftovers
Ability: Simple
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ground]
Hurricane isn't worth it. Volcarona should be carrying Hidden Power Ground. Swoobat should bring a utility move instead. If you're going to go for Simple Quiver Dance, Stored Power is worth grabbing as +6 Stored Power is 140 BP, making it comparably powerful to your STAB moves. Roost probably isn't worth the bother, as surviving is hard in Doubles if you're not a dedicated stallmon. Putting Speed EVs onto Volcarona and Swoobat is also questionable, since at +2 they'll outspeed pretty much everything even without EVs, and what they really need is to do something about their fragility.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Close Combat
Inferior to Terracott.

No, seriously.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Genesect @ Life Orb
Ability: Download
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Extreme Speed
Again, at +2 actually giving them Speed EVs is questionable. Still, this core has potential.

TBH, core from the last page but updated:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Amnesia / Protect

Just boost everything, while unleashing that yellow color on everything too. Any team without boosting moves is quickly going to find itself failing to overwhelm you and those that are are still getting paralysed and battered. Kinda imperfect since the other team can fit an SD or NP somewhere but then again, once you get going you're gone.
Taunt bait. Taunt is everywhere in Doubles. A Magic Bounce partner for Slowbro would probably be better, in all honesty. (Which is problematic, since Mega Sableye is the only one with actual bulk) Magic Guard isn't as important if they can't Toxic you in the first place.

Protect is mandatory - run it in every core.
Quoting for truth. Protect is the move in Doubles, and with 8 moves 4MSS is no longer a good enough justification for not running it.

My own cores

+

Spam Lava Plume all day every day. Both enemy Pokemon are hit for two 60% chances to Burn, and both of your Pokemon are immune in general and boosted after the first turn. Jirachi is no longer weak to Fire, too. Physical attacker teams will hate you, though you should keep a Levitator in the back so you can switch it in if Earthquake is looming. Note that this core resists all forms of Extreme Speed, too.

Note that there is really no reason for Heatran to not run Lava Plume in general, as its partner will always be safe. (Unless its partner is a Mold Breaker)

+

Pixilated Boomburst+Telepathy. Delicious murderous spam. Noivern can use Trick to disable walls, if you Choice it, too. A bit slow from a Doubles standpoint, but definitely a workable wallbreaker core if stall rises in prominence.

If you want your Mega slot for some other purpose, Scarfed Sylveon can take over Mega Gardevoir's role reasonably well, though it lacks tools like Ally Switch and Will O Wisp.

+

Get Rain set up, and then spam self-boosting Surfs at doubled Speed. Ludicolo can be replaced with a number of other Swift Swimmers, such as Omastar, and Cradily would arguably be better off as Lumineon.

Note that Lumineon really has no reason to not run Surf if you run it as Storm Drain, for similar reasons as Heatran with lava Plume. (Problem being Lumineon is bad)

For a bulky rain team, Dry Skin could be good instead of Storm Drain.

+
(wait, why is it still hard to get 3D sprites of the ORAS additions?)

Unaware+Magic Bounce. A stall core! One that laughs at boosters and laughs at the idea that boosters can Taunt/Toxic/etc to get past you. Since Sableye provides Recover, Clefable isn't even hampered by the usual limition of being forced to run Moonlight, which incidentally frees up tools like Follow Me. (Which either of them can use, letting you tailor your Follow Me to the opposition)

Note that in general Unaware and Mega Sableye are more Doubles viable, as the usual Doubles dynamic of "Ignore the problem and focus on the partner until it's down to 2 vs 1 in your favor" doesn't work. Not only will Mega Sableye bounce all hazards, its presence ensures that all your bounceable moves are bad plans, even if you didn't aim it at them, and similar your booster can't simply ignore Clefable or Quagsire in favor of killing the partner, because the partner is Unaware too!

+

Multiscale compensates for Mega Pinsir's fragility. You can even leave it un-Megaed for one turn to protect from Intimidate with Hyper Cutter, if you intend to set up with Swords Dance before commencing a priority sweep. Consider carrying Feint on Mega Pinsir so you can bypass Quick Guard and Protect in general. Aerilated Extreme Speed twice over is really hard to deal with, and will bypass a lot of things like Prankster priority.

+

The main reason Mega Altaria tends to run Physical is that it has Dragon Dance and no equivalent Special boosting move. Say hello to Quiver Dance, and replace Fire Blast with Fiery Dance. Quiver Dance Pixilated Hyper Voice is actually a pretty decent thing to sweep with. Carry Flame Body on Volcarona, obviously. The core struggles with Heatran, if you restrict yourself to Special moves, while Earthquake will hit your ally, so there's flaws here. Still, an opponent assuming Mega Altaria is meant to pair with an Extreme Speeder is in for a surprise.

+

Undodgeable priority Hurricanes! Also note that Pidgeot gets Mirror Move, which also becomes priority thanks to Gale Wings. Talonflame can also donate Fire Blast to replace the somewhat mediocre Heat Wave as Special coverage. The core has flaws, but it can threaten a lot of offensive teams very reliably.
+

Double Discharge to heal your guys and Paralyze both enemies pretty much every time, and then Air Slash them. Nobody ever gets to move again without priority.

Note that Thundurus-Therian has almost no reason to not carry Discharge, as it's the best tool for spreading Paralysis in Doubles and will consistently heal its ally. (Barring Mold Breaker)

+

What, you thought you'd get to move? Naw, welcome to double Scarfed Serene Grace Rock Slide Hell.

That's two pairs of 90% chances of a 60% chance to not move, all while taking damage.

+???

Depends on how Illusion actually ends up actually working. Might end up being an epic mind screw, might end up being completely useless.

+

Scarf them and watch everything die. Beware priority, though. Latias can be replaced with any number of other Dragons, of course, but it can also be reasonably replaced with a number of Overheaters, Superpower abusers... Victini... try to select options that can make up for Serperior's bad coverage, such as how Hydreigon has access to Earth Power.

+

Welp, two of the best offensive Abilities in the entire game. Murder everything. (Except Extreme Speed will win the day against you...)

Note that Greninja's Mat Block can be combined with Pranksters to get it out as a priority move. Mat Block is quite good in Doubles. Combine with U-Turn and you can have Prankster Mat Block for 2 out of three turns -Mat Block with Greninja while its ally U-Turns out, and then have the next Prankster ally Mat Block while Greninja U-Turns out. Turn 3 something U-Turns Greninja back in, and you've reset the cycle. Silly, maybe, but Mat Block is astonishingly general.

Last edited:
Nice cores Ghoul King, but the OP said that M-Khan is banned.
Thank god that Big Momma isn't here.

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed some talk about Swoobat and Simple. Is that really going to be a thing? It might give support to one mon, but what about the others of the team? Swoobat will (might?) be dead weight outside of supporting set-up sweepers.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Something which isn't all that good in standard dubs but could see a little use here is Kecleon. Unlike Greninja, who doesn't have a whole lot of value due to its low bulk, Kecleon has a few tricks up its sleeve which could prove valuable here. Firstly, it has access to Fake Out, which anyone who's ever played doubles knows is hugely useful support. Secondly, it passes Protean to its partner just like Greninja does, which is cool in the sense that every attack that is used gets STAB and that it can be used to manipulate defensive typing through smartly switching Kecleon in and out (which Greninja lacks the bulk to have the luxury of doing even somewhat consistently). Thirdly, it is capable of passing on other priority options in addition to Fake Out in the form of Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak and Feint - the latter of which is useful due to this being doubles and everyone and their mother using Protect. Finally, its movepool as a whole is insane, packing Recover, Rock Slide, Fire Blast, Aqua Tail, KOff, Blizzard, Ice Beam/Punch, Icy Wind, Low Kick, Shadow Ball/Claw, Skill Swap, Thunder, T-Bolt, Trick Room and T-Wave as viable options for passing to its partner. All in all, it is a really cool choice given the unique mechanic of the metagame, and I would use it as my Protean donor over Greninja any day.

Just realized that NOBODY has mentioned Friend Guard Clefairy being a huge dick to the universe

I'll post more on it when I get home.

Nice cores Ghoul King, but the OP said that M-Khan is banned.
Thank god that Big Momma isn't here.
... huh. Weird. It's not banned from regular Doubles, and honestly it's going to really struggle to justify itself here, I suspect, for all that Parental Bond is amazing.

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed some talk about Swoobat and Simple. Is that really going to be a thing? It might give support to one mon, but what about the others of the team? Swoobat will (might?) be dead weight outside of supporting set-up sweepers.
That's my general opinion. (It being dead weight, I mean) It's not common in Doubles, and with good reason.

Theoretically you could do some amazing stuff with it, but it's not particularly practical from an OU Doubles standpoint. Geomancy is only on Smeargle, which is the big win. I suppose one could also support Shell Smash White Herb Cloyster? Most boosting moves are either not all that amazing to get the boost on or are on Pokemon problematic to boost-sweep like that with, like how Volcarona hates Gale Wings and Aerilated Extreme Speed. Spreading Calm Mind as +2/+2 might help some specific fastmons, I guess? There'll probably be something that combos well enough with Swoobat to be worth the effort, but I suspect Swoobat will be niche, and tricky to pull off anyway.

Just realized that NOBODY has mentioned Friend Guard Clefairy being a huge dick to the universe

I'll post more on it when I get home.
Friend Guard doesn't stack. Spreading Follow Me to buddies helps, but... that's about it? Maybe your later post will sell me on this idea, but I'm not feeling it.

Besides, Clefairy is more of a Triples thing than a Doubles thing.

... huh. Weird. It's not banned from regular Doubles, and honestly it's going to really struggle to justify itself here, I suspect, for all that Parental Bond is amazing.
It's spreading Parental Bond what do you expect :I
Friend Guard doesn't stack. Spreading Follow Me to buddies helps, but... that's about it? Maybe your later post will sell me on this idea, but I'm not feeling it.

Besides, Clefairy is more of a Triples thing than a Doubles thing.
Friend Guard only affects allies, so the boosts it didn't originally get while redirecting and protecting its ally are now available to Clefairy as well. There was no stacking I was making an implication about. There's also a major difference in how powerful things like a banded dnite are against a Friend Guard boosted Eviolite mon instead of against something like a Togekiss.
252+ Atk Choice Band Aerilate Dragonite Frustration vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Eviolite Clefairy with an ally's Friend Guard: 218-257 (63.3 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Aerilate Dragonite Frustration vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Togekiss: 288-339 (77 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
The ranges don't even overlap.
Not to mention things like Togekiss that can still provide redirection support don't protect their allies from spread moves
252+ Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Staraptor: 276-326 (88.4 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Staraptor with an ally's Friend Guard: 207-244 (66.3 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

While each of the redirectors hold their own uniqueness, Clefairy is going to be a pain in the ass to get rid of.

Also, this isn't singles, doubles, or triples, it's an OM; due to how this OM works, there will be notable similarities in how the Doubles meta game is played/what's used but there will be very, very big differences. Just because something isn't used often in the Doubles meta game right now doesn't mean it can't be that useful here.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a quick question. Why do abilities like Intimidate only activate upon switch-in if they are native to their users? The reason I as is because Intimidate activates for a second time when the ability is gained through Skill Swap or Entrainment On a pokemon who does not currently have the ability, so surely shouldn't gaining the ability through a partner also activate the ability due to it not strictly activating upon switch-in, but rather when the ability is gained? This provably sounds like a strange question, but it kina confuses me as to why that element of said abilities' mechanics would be ommited from links.

+
+

Kyu-B + Feraligatr + Clefable
DDance Sheer Force Kyurem-Black

Kyurem-Black @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost
- Iron Head

Feraligatr @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Aqua Jet / Waterfall
- Ice Punch / Waterfall
- Protect

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Protect / Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast / Fire Blast / Thunder Wave / Toxic

My explanation for this is as follows:

One of the major flaws with Kyu-B is it's inability to boost, and thus is exclusively a wallbreaker or a scarfer. However, it now has various access to Dragon Dance. I chose Feraligatr because it doesn't share too many check/counters as other Dragon Dancers, but also has the amazing Sheer Force ability that adds even further power onto Kyu's colossal 170 base attack. A boost and sheer force provides amazing power. Feral naturally has access to DDance and Sheer Force, along with STAB priority, meaning it is no slouch by itself.

Kyu-B with boosted speed can outspeed every non-boosted dragon, making light work of Lati@s, Dragonite, MAltaria (offensive and defensive alike) and opposing Kyu. Actually, Ice Punch does can potentially do 200% damage to some offensive MAltaria variants. Feral gets something out of it too, in the form of reliable recovery in roost to heal of chip and LO damage. With Teravolt, both can break through Unaware users with ease (SE Iron heads to clefable and Kyu-B Ice Punch having a chance to OHKO Quagsire (a low chance but still a chance)). Protect allows Feral Pokemon to stay safe while their partner switches in/out or sets up. Lum Berry is preferred on Kyu-B to ward of scald burns and the probable threat of Prankster Burn/Sleep, though LO can be used to better your chances of OHKOing Quagmire and Fur Coat boosted walls like Slowbro. LO is more suited to Feral because of it's lower attack stat requiring more help to deal major damage, but Lum is for those of you who are paranoid about those pranksters again. The full physical set not only allows Kyu to fully capitalise on it's superior attacking stat, but also not be forced to run a negative bulk nature.

Clefable is important and useful support. Follow Me is for Lati@s and faster dragon types who threaten Kyu with their STAB dragon attacks. Priority means it'll always lure in those dragon moves while Kyu straight destroys them. Protect is so that Kyu-B can protect without Feral. TWave is a viable option for speed control, though with boosting moves it may not be as necessary. Softboil is so that both it and feral can heal reliably without Kyu-B. Moonblast is for it's own STAB, while Fire Blast is for Scizor and Ferro who like to capitalize on Kyu's and Clef's shared Steel weakness. If you decide to run a mixed Kyu-B Fire Blast has a good chance to outright OHKO these, and do good damage to most other steels on a switch. Though I recommend the physical set for Ice Punch and Iron Head. Unaware is preferred as it allows Follow Me to work on boosted mons as well as giving Feral/Kyu better chances to survive boosted hits as well. Though Magic Guard is perfectly viable, as it nullifies walls that like to burn or toxic to limit longevity to both it and it's sweepers, and allows the sweepers to use LO without recoil.

Dragonite can replace Feral as a DDance sharer because of it's natural power and bulk, and Multiscale is useful to almost all team members besides Kyu, ensuring anything at full health can last at least one hit. But it shares the dragon and fairy weakness, and lacks Sheer Force, meaning Kyu will do less damage than with Feral. Landorus has good offensive synergy and doesn't share weakness and counters, and has access to Sheer Force. However it must choose to run either Agility or Swords Dance on Kyu's behalf. SD means Kyu won't be able to outspeed other dragon sweepers with Agility reduces the wallbreaking potential. Landorus also doesn't appreciate the decrease to it's coverage it gets by running one of these moves. While Clefable's Follow Me and Fairy typing is very powerful for this core, any Unaware or generally useful wall with a good ability is usable, such as Slowbro, Ferrothorn, SpDef Heatran or Skarmory.

Scizor with it's Priority Bullet Punch can seriously hurt this core. Prankster Wisp or burns in general provide huge problems as well, although Lum Berries does slightly alleviate that. A mon with recycle to share wouldn't be the worst idea. Fairies don't provide as much as problem as in other metas due to the power or boosted iron Heads and Ice Punches, though it's still an issue. While Kyu-B has respectable 125/90/80 bulk, Feral's 85/100/83 leaves a little to be desired, and both are weak specially, so special walls wouldn't hurt. If Kyu is no longer around to pass Teravolt, Unaware and Fur Coat users wall Feral to oblivion.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Helping Hand
- Assist
- Follow Me

Thundurus @ Zap Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Protect
- Sky Drop
- Thief
- Sleep Talk

Infernape @ Flame Plate
Ability: Blaze
Modest Nature
- Assist
- Helping Hand
- Follow Me
- Quick Guard

Liepard @ Dread Plate
Modest Nature
- Assist
- Protect
- Copycat
- Snatch

Tornadus (M) @ Sky Plate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Protect
- Sky Drop
- Thief
- Sleep Talk

Meowstic (M) @ Mind Plate
Modest Nature
- Assist
- Helping Hand
- Protect
- Quick Guard
/s
(wait, why is it still hard to get 3D sprites of the ORAS additions?)
Do a google image search for
mon name site:smogon.com/dex/xy/

The image URL template, if you wanna skip the google search, is http://www.smogon.com/dex/media/sprites/xy/MON-NAME-GOES-HERE.gif

canno

formerly The Reptile
ITS TIME FOR SUNNY D

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam / Dragon Pulse
- Overheat
- Dragon Pulse / Tailwind / Will-O-Wisp

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain / Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

This combo is pretty nice for many reasons. The obvious reasoning is that you get access to the amazing Drought + Chlorophyll combo on both of those Pokemon. This means that Zard Y will also be incredibly fast alongside Venusaur. Sharing a movepool also helps them a lot - for one, it makes it much harder to stop Sleep Powder as both of them can have it. It also frees up the option of running Dragon Pulse on Zard, allowing us to bop Dragon-types that resist the Grass + Fire combo. You also have the option of running Giga Drain for recovery and Grass STAB outside of the sun. Another interesting thing about weather in general is that you can switch out your partner to re-activate your weather, as it would have the weather summoning ability when switching in.

Slight update: While I still think Diancie Diamond Storming alongside Simple isn't really worth it, I was mis-remembering Diamond Storm's targeting. It doesn't hit allies.

On the other hand, the fact that Simple Beam can be tossed onto an ally to benefit yourself seems a lot more relevant to me.

It's spreading Parental Bond what do you expect :I
Parental Bond is good and general, but it's questionable how big of an impact it's going to have when

-It's attached to a Mega, of which various other Megas provide highly prized Abilities. (You can't get Aerilate at all without using a Mega slot, for instance)

-It doesn't apply to spread moves, which are huge in Doubles.

-Some of its key abusabilities are considerably more effective in a Singles format than a Doubles format. (eg Power Up Punching and sweeping)

-It has few particularly strong synergies with other Abilities, and these synergies are often problematic to actually implement. (eg Simple Parental Bond Power Up Punch for instant +4 is cool, but Simple-capable Pokemon are uniformly fragile/not very good overall)

Parental Bond didn't end up banned from Ability Shift, for instance. It's not intrinsically a ban-worth Ability.

Friend Guard only affects allies, so the boosts it didn't originally get while redirecting and protecting its ally are now available to Clefairy as well. There was no stacking I was making an implication about. There's also a major difference in how powerful things like a banded dnite are against a Friend Guard boosted Eviolite mon instead of against something like a Togekiss.
252+ Atk Choice Band Aerilate Dragonite Frustration vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Eviolite Clefairy with an ally's Friend Guard: 218-257 (63.3 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Aerilate Dragonite Frustration vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Togekiss: 288-339 (77 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
The ranges don't even overlap.
Not to mention things like Togekiss that can still provide redirection support don't protect their allies from spread moves
252+ Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Staraptor: 276-326 (88.4 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Staraptor with an ally's Friend Guard: 207-244 (66.3 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

While each of the redirectors hold their own uniqueness, Clefairy is going to be a pain in the ass to get rid of.
Ah. I'd been under the impression Friend Guard was protection for everyone. That would also explain why it's more of a Triples thing than a Doubles thing. Carry on.

Also, this isn't singles, doubles, or triples, it's an OM; due to how this OM works, there will be notable similarities in how the Doubles meta game is played/what's used but there will be very, very big differences. Just because something isn't used often in the Doubles meta game right now doesn't mean it can't be that useful here.
I agree, but Doubles is the closest reference point, not Singles, and a lot of the factors that make, for instance, Swoobat fairly undesirable in Doubles remain relevant or are exaggerated by Partners in Crime's dynamics. (eg now Swoobat has to fear -ated Extreme Speed, priority Brave Birds/Hurricanes backed by actually competent offensive statlines, etc) Meanwhile a lot of ideas that would be amazing in Singles are pretty meh in Doubles, and if they're meh in Doubles they're probably worse in Partners in Crime, since the competition is fiercer.

ITS TIME FOR SUNNY D

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam / Dragon Pulse
- Overheat
- Dragon Pulse / Tailwind / Will-O-Wisp

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain / Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

This combo is pretty nice for many reasons. The obvious reasoning is that you get access to the amazing Drought + Chlorophyll combo on both of those Pokemon. This means that Zard Y will also be incredibly fast alongside Venusaur. Sharing a movepool also helps them a lot - for one, it makes it much harder to stop Sleep Powder as both of them can have it. It also frees up the option of running Dragon Pulse on Zard, allowing us to bop Dragon-types that resist the Grass + Fire combo. You also have the option of running Giga Drain for recovery and Grass STAB outside of the sun. Another interesting thing about weather in general is that you can switch out your partner to re-activate your weather, as it would have the weather summoning ability when switching in.
Realistically, this should probably be a core of three Pokemon, with Ninetales as your default lead (So you can immediately take advantage of Chlorophyll) and Charizard as your follow-up/weather war lead.

I'd also consider running Victreebel instead of Venusaur for this core, as its access to Weather Ball (Alongside Chlorophyll, I mean) provides a stable 100 BP/100 Accuracy Fire move for Charizard/other partners to abuse in Sun, which can be quite useful if a different weather is being set by the enemy.

Also worth noting that the core can become a pretty impressive wallbreaker: Growth on either of Venusaur or Victreebel can give Charizard an instant +2 to kill walls with, thanks to Sun.

---

More cores!

+

Why this pair? Because Genesect is the overall best intersection of Speed and bulk out of Pokemon that have Simple Beam. Better yet, it has Shift Gear. So: Simple Beam Regigigas while it uses Shift Gear, laugh maniacally. Regigigas doesn't need to bother to invest anything into Speed either, with +4 Speed. Plus Genesect can donate Extreme Speed, if you're concerned about enemy priority. Genesect, if you want it to stick around after that first, can in turn use its own Simple Shift Gear. If you're lucky, Regigigas and Genesect will be at +3/+4 Attack/Speed, thanks to Download, which is scary.

+

Did you know Gothitelle gets Skill Swap?

Yeah, Slaking Skill Swaps Truant onto the enemy while Gothitelle traps them. Fun times. Have one of them carrying Protect, and any force lacking the ability to switch in the face of Shadow Tag is utterly screwed.

+

Scrappy Extreme Speed! Scrappy Close Combat! Immunity to Fake Out on Mega Lopunny via Inner Focus on Lucario! Lopunny, meanwhile, can donate a fairly obnoxious set of utility moves, including Encore, Heal Bell, Healing Wish, Switcheroo... oh, and Fake Out, of course.
+

Who needs Aroma Veil when you've got Oblivious? Barring Scrappy Fake Out or overwhelming firepower aimed at your Trick Room setter (And they have to guess correctly there!) this is a near-perfect Trick Room setting pair, and their ability to use each other's moves just makes it all the more delicious.

Oh, and double Pressure, of course.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
More cores!

+

Why this pair? Because Genesect is the overall best intersection of Speed and bulk out of Pokemon that have Simple Beam. Better yet, it has Shift Gear. So: Simple Beam Regigigas while it uses Shift Gear, laugh maniacally. Regigigas doesn't need to bother to invest anything into Speed either, with +4 Speed. Plus Genesect can donate Extreme Speed, if you're concerned about enemy priority. Genesect, if you want it to stick around after that first, can in turn use its own Simple Shift Gear. If you're lucky, Regigigas and Genesect will be at +3/+4 Attack/Speed, thanks to Download, which is scary.

+

Did you know Gothitelle gets Skill Swap?

Yeah, Slaking Skill Swaps Truant onto the enemy while Gothitelle traps them. Fun times. Have one of them carrying Protect, and any force lacking the ability to switch in the face of Shadow Tag is utterly screwed.

+

Scrappy Extreme Speed! Scrappy Close Combat! Immunity to Fake Out on Mega Lopunny via Inner Focus on Lucario! Lopunny, meanwhile, can donate a fairly obnoxious set of utility moves, including Encore, Heal Bell, Healing Wish, Switcheroo... oh, and Fake Out, of course.
+

Who needs Aroma Veil when you've got Oblivious? Barring Scrappy Fake Out or overwhelming firepower aimed at your Trick Room setter (And they have to guess correctly there!) this is a near-perfect Trick Room setting pair, and their ability to use each other's moves just makes it all the more delicious.

Oh, and double Pressure, of course.
yeah, because putting truant on your gothitelle or slow start on your genesect is great. you'd say its decent in theory but in reality its garbage because protect just wins, priority just wins, etc
also slaking isn't even that good to begin with, its not like people haven't tried slaking + skill swap + shadow tag in regular doubles. it hasn't worked.

yeah, because putting truant on your gothitelle or slow start on your genesect is great. you'd say its decent in theory but in reality its garbage because protect just wins, priority just wins, etc
also slaking isn't even that good to begin with, its not like people haven't tried slaking + skill swap + shadow tag in regular doubles. it hasn't worked.
The shared Ability goes away when the originator goes away. Truant doesn't kick in until the second turn, either, so Gothitelle doesn't suffer any from it unless the opponent blocks the Skill Swap.

Slow Start spreading to Genesect does mean you have to give some Speed investment on Genesect to have Simple Beam hit Regigigas before it uses Shift Gear, but if your first turn is being spent setting up anyway, the only reason the loss of Speed matters is because it leaves the strategy susceptible to Taunt. (The halved Attack has no impact at all, since it only lasts for one turn) This isn't even a big change, because most Taunters that are good in Doubles are either already 100+ Speed and/or are Pranksters, so usually anything that would want to Taunt you would outspeed Genesect and Regigigas anyway.

You're also pretending that the shenanigans you have to get up to in Doubles to arrange Skill Swap/Shadow Tag/Truant -which takes two turns to implement and only Truants one enemy Pokemon- is equivalent to, in one move, Truanting both enemies while freeing up Slaking, all while Gothitelle can do whatever you want it to on that first turn. (Protect is the obvious choice) It's not. It's faster, more efficient, more effective all around in Partners in Crime.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The shared Ability goes away when the originator goes away. Truant doesn't kick in until the second turn, either, so Gothitelle doesn't suffer any from it unless the opponent blocks the Skill Swap.

Slow Start spreading to Genesect does mean you have to give some Speed investment on Genesect to have Simple Beam hit Regigigas before it uses Shift Gear, but if your first turn is being spent setting up anyway, the only reason the loss of Speed matters is because it leaves the strategy susceptible to Taunt. (The halved Attack has no impact at all, since it only lasts for one turn) This isn't even a big change, because most Taunters that are good in Doubles are either already 100+ Speed and/or are Pranksters, so usually anything that would want to Taunt you would outspeed Genesect and Regigigas anyway.

You're also pretending that the shenanigans you have to get up to in Doubles to arrange Skill Swap/Shadow Tag/Truant -which takes two turns to implement and only Truants one enemy Pokemon- is equivalent to, in one move, Truanting both enemies while freeing up Slaking, all while Gothitelle can do whatever you want it to on that first turn. (Protect is the obvious choice) It's not. It's faster, more efficient, more effective all around in Partners in Crime.
i think having more experience in the doubles metagame would help. this metagame is already offensive as it is and you really do not appreciate having to set up turns in order for something as gimmicky as shift gear slow start, its often quite difficult to find a proper window for genesect to set up shift gear and you REQUIRE it to set up turn 1, which makes you very predictable and easy to beat

truant is hot garbage, they can literally just double protect and win the game???

What happens with abilities that work upon switching in?
They'll only take effect on a partner if a Pokemon with one of these abilities (Intimidate, Sand Stream, etc.) in on the field and a new partner switches in.
Whoa, that means that as long as your weather setter is out, you can refresh the weather by switching to any Pokemon.

I'm pretty sure rain stall is going to be very good, with everyone getting Drizzle, Rain Dish, Hydration, and Aqua Ring, and there being good Regenerator mons everywhere

Here is the start of a rain team, if you ever want to figure out a Politoed:

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Aqua Ring
- Protect
- Pain Split
- Substitute

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Protect

Tentacruel starts with Politoed and lets you lay down 2 layers of toxic spites and set rain on turn 1. Afterwards, you switch Politoed and maybe Tentacruel to Alomomola or Chansey, and heal forever while the enemy is being poisoned to death. Rest is on Chansey because Natural Cure basically turns it into a full heal with no downside. Aqua Ring should actually be good enough to justify the fact that it's not an attack, especially since Chansey and Alomomola are going to be sticking around for awhile.

Last edited:
i think having more experience in the doubles metagame would help. this metagame is already offensive as it is and you really do not appreciate having to set up turns in order for something as gimmicky as shift gear slow start, its often quite difficult to find a proper window for genesect to set up shift gear and you REQUIRE it to set up turn 1, which makes you very predictable and easy to beat

truant is hot garbage, they can literally just double protect and win the game???
I played Doubles exclusively for six months before I became aware of OMs. I'm aware it's an offensive OM.

Yes, they're gimmicks. A lot of good, viable strategies in Doubles are gimmicks. (By some definitions, most of the good Doubles strategies are gimmicks) And?

Nor is double Protecting "winning the game". It's a big blow to the strategy, but that doesn't mean you're out of the game -it's not like the rest of your team is necessarily dependent on this going off right from the start.

And you know what? You can use Kecleon or Gallade to provide Feint and Skill Swap simultaneously. Kecleon or Gallade Feints, Skill Swap goes through. You won't trap them (yet) of course, but you can definitely get the Skill Swap through consistently. Protean Slaking is nothing to scoff at, either -160 Attack off 100 Speed, with access to Kecleon's priority moves as Protean, plus whatever you stole from the enemy. Nice.

We all know how invigoratingly fun PP stalling is amirite, well why not crank up the fun-meter to full blast with these funtastic cores;
or

Slowbro @ Leftovers/Slowbronite
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Iron Defense
- Amnesia
- Slack Off
- Scald/Skill Swap

Dusclops @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spite
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Night Shade/Seismic Toss/Toxic

Sableye @ Sablenite
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spite
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Metal Burst

Suicune @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Protect

Below you will find multiple paragraphs explaining stuff. pls note these cores are a WIP that i made in like 15 min, so improvements would be fabulous.
If you haven't already guessed these cores are here to milk every last drop of PP from your opposition until they eventually struggle to death. Since both of your Pokemon share pressure courtesy of this metagame, your opponent will lose 3 pp each time it uses a move (correct me if i'm wrong, i haven't tested these lel). Add spite to the mix and you can drain 7 pp per turn for each opponent, which means that low pp moves such as blizzard, draco meteor and hydro pump are completely drained in just one turn. Even the popular spread moves like heat wave, rock slide and earthquake can only be used twice if spite is used on the same turns. Even the mighty follow me/rage powder with 32 PP can only be used 3 times before it all dries up.
Of course you don't have to use spite every turn, you can also protect-stall if you wish.
Onto the cores themselves. The first core is very good and I believe can be used on regular teams if you wish. Iron defense and amnesia are pretty great and allow them wall many threats after setting up, and having access to multiple forms of recovery in slack off and rest allows them to heal in the best way possible depending on their situation. Spite is the star of the show, I don't need to go over it twice so moving on. ShadeToss/Scald/Toxic is your means of reliable damage, because otherwise the opponent can just switch back and forth until you lose all your pp (the irony). Skill Swap because fuck you Mega Sableye. Restalk has a whole bunch of purposes, whether it be completely restoring HP and status or taking advantage of sleep inducers, but the main reason (one many pp stallers are familiar with) your moves only have so much pp themselves, spite especially only has 16 pp so you can't throw it around willy nilly. Restalk along with spite are your best options when it comes to draining PP (well protect is pretty useful as well tbh).
Core number 2 isn't as good but it has it's merits, and if you are planning to make a full on PP stall team then it's a good addition to the original core. While Suicune lacks the intense stat boosting options of Slowbro, Suicune is bulkier than Slowbro on both sides and has pressure, which means his teammate can have something else, such as, oh i dunno, maybe magic bounce? To top it off this core has a MUUUUUUCH better type synergy compared to the other one, so it isn't as immediately threatened. What's more, Sableye has metal burst. Huh? An attack? lel 2 ez m8 i r8 8/8 while i finger my prost8.
I dunno what good teammates it would have. Clefable and Zapdos look promising (Zapdos punishes aerilate/gale wings and has pressure, while Clefable is Clefable), Cofagrigus and Doublade might be good backup spite users, and Pressure Kyurem could be useful. Thundy-T for discharge and EQ immunity + self healing maybe?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)