Lower Tiers LC Viability Rankings 2.0

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Rufflet to A

Apart from Honedge, every other pokemon will have a hard time standing up to 'The Superior Bird', Rock and Steel types are of the few traditional Flying checks/counters and this beast waves them off effortlessly with Superpower and Electric types such as Chinchou wouldn't like to be switched into a Return or Superpower boosted by a Bulk Up, not to mention the obvious Hustle boost it gets. Rufflet can also be an effective Flying check due to its access to Rock Slide/Rock Tomb but i personally believe it doesnt needs either of the Rock types moves to check Flying types such as Fletchling.
This beast has great coverage which allows multiple amazing and effective options for sets, the Bulk Up set being the most famous however an LO Rufflet with powerful STABS like Brave Bird and Return can be more threatening. Rufflets access to Shadow Claw lets it deal with its best check/Switchin- Honedge.
If Archen is ranked 'A' then i believe Rufflet should also be up and be recognized as one of the best in this tier.

Rufflet has to use Aerial Ace because it's unable to get Brave Bird.

I mean AA is cool on the BU set because Hustle makes it more powerful and you're not hit by the missing detriment at all. But on sets where you're not getting Attack boosts, this move is very very underwhelming when Return and Superpower are doing much more damage. That being said I dont agree with this rising to A. I'd say that Rufflet is more C+ / B- material if it got more usage and was able to distinguish itself as a larger threat in the metagame. I feel that other birds are better equipped to ruin teams where Ruff has to sacrifice moveslots to check other things. It's fantastic that it has coverage to handle other threats BUT that means it has to give up things in order to hit them.

Personally I cant compare Rufflet to Archen. Archen hits much harder and has a much stronger and reliable STAB in Acrobatics. Archen also has the ability to run multiple sets and well... Rufflet can either spam Bulk Up and pretend to be a winged Timburr without Knock Off or priority, or it can run a Scarf where it's outspeeding a few things but nothing notable.

tl;dr rufflet is cute and has cute tools (not brave bird) but it's not on the level of fletch and archen rn.

edit archen doest get brave bird ignore that

Last edited:

Rufflet to A

Apart from Honedge, every other pokemon will have a hard time standing up to 'The Superior Bird', Rock and Steel types are of the few traditional Flying checks/counters and this beast waves them off effortlessly with Superpower and Electric types such as Chinchou wouldn't like to be switched into a Return or Superpower boosted by a Bulk Up, not to mention the obvious Hustle boost it gets. Rufflet can also be an effective Flying check due to its access to Rock Slide/Rock Tomb but i personally believe it doesnt needs either of the Rock types moves to check Flying types such as Fletchling.
This beast has great coverage which allows multiple amazing and effective options for sets, the Bulk Up set being the most famous however an LO Rufflet with powerful STABS like Brave Bird and Return can be more threatening. Rufflets access to Shadow Claw lets it deal with its best check/Switchin- Honedge.
If Archen is ranked 'A' then i believe Rufflet should also be up and be recognized as one of the best in this tier.
I disagree with this post. You're really underrating Rufflet which I think should be S+ Rank

Now this might sound crazy but consider the following: what gives Rufflet trouble? The bulk up set has trouble with special attackers, which is where this beautiful move comes in. Confide allows Rufflet to lower the special attack of magnemite by one stage, safely allowing it to take 0 damage from any of its attacks. "buh... bu krubby!! the sturdy!!" you may say and yes, sturdy and sash might give problems which is why you have Fury Attack. Being able to hit at least two times for a 30 bp normal move will make sturdyjuice Aron quiver in fear as it's swiftly killed. "But what about Rufflet's fat sister vullaby?" yes. It can tank attacks from Rufflet sure. But here's where you pull out your nastiest trick. Your final moveslot can be set to Attract, causing Vullaby to fall into an incestous lust, guaranteeing your opponent be so disgusted they can not play properly. Bulk up / fury attack / confide / attract is such a flawless set and I'm so fucking tired of you novices sleeping on this. Thank you and good day.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

I agree with the Tyrunt to B- nomination. I've been using a DD Tyrunt + HazardStack team over the past week, and I've fallen in love with Tyrunt. It's an amazing Bird check that can set up on them easily, and it also has a nifty 4x Fire resistance which lets it wall Flare Blitzes and Fire Blasts, although a lot of Fire-types use Will-O-Wisp, so you gotta watch out for that. While it isn't as immediately threatening as the Shell Smashers, it's still a great late-game sweeper with the right support. It's also a cool lure to things, like hitting Fairy-types with Iron Tail if your team is weak to them, or Zen Headbutt to hit Fighters hard if your team is weak to them. The Stealth Rock set is also cute, and STAB Dragon Tail is pretty cool to rack up damage, although it is a bit passive at times. Overall, while Tyrunt's faults, like not being as imeddiately powerful as other set-up sweepers and being walled by some threats without the right coverage move (like Steel-types if it doesn't run Earthquake), it's still a really cool mon right now and should definetely rise for the many positives it has.

Whilst I don't normally care about Viability Rankings, and especially not ones as low as C-, I agree with user Jazz-Meister (page eight, post 189.)

I nominate Deerling from C- --> B-

This pokemon is criminally underused. Like Jazz-Meister said, it's coverage can not be underestimated. With return, Wild Charge, Jump Kick, and Seed Bomb, Deerling can potentially score kills on waaay too many common pokemon. I personally favour the Sap Sipper spread, which lets it beat Snivy and potentially Ferroseed if it comes in on a bullet seed.

Overall, Deerling is just a great Pokemon that kills a lot of threats in this tier.

Last edited:

Melon

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Noibat: Unranked --> D

Noibat is Jesus. The fact this incredible, majestic Pokemon is unranked is complete blasphemy. Since most of you uncultured idiots have no idea what this overpowered, glorious, broken shit-sack of a Pokemon does I'ma post the best set here:

Noibat @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
Level: 5
EVs: 236 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
IVs: 19 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind/Substitute

Using this mon is extremely straight forward, click moves and kill everything in your path. Dragon/Flying is actually really solid coverage, and Heat Wave fills in the gaps by roasting steels who think that they're safe alive, which actually happens a shit load because no one has any idea what it does. Literally everyone switches Ferroseed into Noibat thinking nothing will happen and have their heart savagely ripped from their chest when Noibat ruthlessly OHKOs them. Hurricane and Draco do surprising damage, Hurricane 2HKOing Download Pory after rocks, and Draco OHKOing support Archen. Noibat also can abuse switches with Sub, or support the rest of the team by setting up a Tailwind. Noibat is good I swear, just put it in D please.

Also OP is only kinda fat and wants Squirtle in D

Last edited:

Chinchou A -> A-

Chinchou is not as good as it once was, and definitely needs to at least drop to A-. It is outclassed on VoltTurn teams and as a Fletch check by Magnemite. It does have its good points, but it is still outclassed in what are its best aspects. There is not much more that I can say, I just think that Chinchou has been overlooked for a while.

Snivy A -> A+
Snivy should definitely go to A+, as it is one of the best and most consistent wall-breakers in the tier. Its access to Contrary and a nice speed stat allow it to effectively check most Sticky Web teams. Also it has access to a plethora of useful moves, such as Leaf Storm, Knock Off, Glare, and Substitute. Snivy's only downfall is that it has to rely on Hidden Power for coverage, but all Snivy really needs to do is look smug and spam Leaf Storm.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Chinchou A -> A-

Chinchou is not as good as it once was, and definitely needs to at least drop to A-. It is outclassed on VoltTurn teams and as a Fletch check by Magnemite. It does have its good points, but it is still outclassed in what are its best aspects. There is not much more that I can say, I just think that Chinchou has been overlooked for a while.

Snivy A -> A+
Snivy should definitely go to A+, as it is one of the best and most consistent wall-breakers in the tier. Its access to Contrary and a nice speed stat allow it to effectively check most Sticky Web teams. Also it has access to a plethora of useful moves, such as Leaf Storm, Knock Off, Glare, and Substitute. Snivy's only downfall is that it has to rely on Hidden Power for coverage, but all Snivy really needs to do is look smug and spam Leaf Storm.
Chinchou is perhaps the most effective form of Volt Switch dissuasion in the entire meta, as it resists the alternate STABs of the best Switchers, I.e. Mag and other Chou. It has an excellent set of resistances and a generally good typing that makes its average bulk extend farther than maybe it should. It's also perhaps one of the best Choice Scarf users in the whole metagame, as it has pivoting moves and can beat out FletchDig with Modest Hydro Pumps. I disagree with this drop entirely.

I also disagree with raising Snivy, but only just barely. In my opinion, Snivy is just too one-dimensional to warrant an A+. Contrary Leaf Storm is still fucking insane, but Snivy's issues are still prevalent and problematic. Just about any non-Kingmidas team is gonna have a faster Pokemon that can threaten Snivy consistently, be it Fletchling, Gastly, etc. Snivy has pretty poor bulk and only just-barely-good-enough Speed to function. Eviolite sets find using Synthesis to be tedious and turn draining, and Berry Juice sets miss the ability to take advantage of Ground-types and Chou as effectively as Snivy wants to. Its checks are good and its coverage is slim, and I don't think it's quite good enough for A+.

Chinchou is perhaps the most effective form of Volt Switch dissuasion in the entire meta, as it resists the alternate STABs of the best Switchers, I.e. Mag and other Chou. It has an excellent set of resistances and a generally good typing that makes its average bulk extend farther than maybe it should. It's also perhaps one of the best Choice Scarf users in the whole metagame, as it has pivoting moves and can beat out FletchDig with Modest Hydro Pumps. I disagree with this drop entirely.

I also disagree with raising Snivy, but only just barely. In my opinion, Snivy is just too one-dimensional to warrant an A+. Contrary Leaf Storm is still fucking insane, but Snivy's issues are still prevalent and problematic. Just about any non-Kingmidas team is gonna have a faster Pokemon that can threaten Snivy consistently, be it Fletchling, Gastly, etc. Snivy has pretty poor bulk and only just-barely-good-enough Speed to function. Eviolite sets find using Synthesis to be tedious and turn draining, and Berry Juice sets miss the ability to take advantage of Ground-types and Chou as effectively as Snivy wants to. Its checks are good and its coverage is slim, and I don't think it's quite good enough for A+.
Modest Chinchou beats FletchDig as well as Choice Scarf Analytic Magnemite.

Modest Scarf Chou
232+ SpA Chinchou Hydro Pump vs. 156 HP / 52 SpD Fletchling: 16-21 (69.5 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO and 93.8 to OHKO with Stealth Rock up.
Diglett is an obvious OHKO. Also, this would rely on hitting both Hydro Pumps.

Modest Analytic Magnemite
240+ SpA Magnemite Flash Cannon vs. 156 HP / 52 SpD Fletchling: 16-19 (69.5 - 82.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
240+ SpA Magnemite Flash Cannon vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Diglett: 16-19 (88.8 - 105.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
If either switched in on a Flash Cannon they would be knocked out without any accuracy issues.

Diglett is just as good as at Volt Switch dissuasion, as it punishes insanely hard whereas Chinchou does not have the power to. Risk and reward argument, though.

I am on the fence about Snivy, I'm just more so leaning towards the A+. I have just found that Snivy is always a threat when I use it and always a threat when used against me unless Vullaby is on either side.

Sken

feet of clay
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
It doesn't need Hydro Pump since Ice Beam already KOs both, so you'll basically be clicking ice beam against a fletchdig team. I disagree on both changes too, because chinchou is still as awesome as it used to be, there are less digletts nowadays and it beats raising mon: wow floon. And about Snivy, although it has a huge offensive presence, it's really much slower than it would like to be due to hidden power, because flying is decent but it's not as awesome as other ones might be, and slow snivy loses 17 speed which is crucial to threat bulky offense and some other archetypes. Both should stay there.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Modest Chinchou beats FletchDig as well as Choice Scarf Analytic Magnemite.

Modest Scarf Chou
232+ SpA Chinchou Hydro Pump vs. 156 HP / 52 SpD Fletchling: 16-21 (69.5 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO and 93.8 to OHKO with Stealth Rock up.
Diglett is an obvious OHKO. Also, this would rely on hitting both Hydro Pumps.

Modest Analytic Magnemite
240+ SpA Magnemite Flash Cannon vs. 156 HP / 52 SpD Fletchling: 16-19 (69.5 - 82.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
240+ SpA Magnemite Flash Cannon vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Diglett: 16-19 (88.8 - 105.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
If either switched in on a Flash Cannon they would be knocked out without any accuracy issues.

Diglett is just as good as at Volt Switch dissuasion, as it punishes insanely hard whereas Chinchou does not have the power to. Risk and reward argument, though.

I am on the fence about Snivy, I'm just more so leaning towards the A+. I have just found that Snivy is always a threat when I use it and always a threat when used against me unless Vullaby is on either side.
Diglett is nowhere near as good at dissuading Volt Switch as Chou is, as it is, as you have shown, very afraid of Volt Switchers' other attacks, be they Hydro Pump or Flash Cannon. Magnemite is less effective as a Volt Switching Choice Scarf user because its secondary STAB lacks both the power and coverage of Hydro Pump, which is just really really good. Also, two 80% hits are more likely than two 50% rolls, jsyk. Keep Chou where it is, its the best Choice Scarfer and a Fletch check to boot

Diglett is nowhere near as good at dissuading Volt Switch as Chou is, as it is, as you have shown, very afraid of Volt Switchers' other attacks, be they Hydro Pump or Flash Cannon. Magnemite is less effective as a Volt Switching Choice Scarf user because its secondary STAB lacks both the power and coverage of Hydro Pump, which is just really really good. Also, two 80% hits are more likely than two 50% rolls, jsyk. Keep Chou where it is, its the best Choice Scarfer and a Fletch check to boot
Clearly you did not read my post, Diglett almost always takes the opposing Volt Switcher out (if they do indeed Volt Switch), whereas Chinchou absorbs the hit and sometimes takes the Volt Switcher out or forces a switch or forces a 50/50 against other Chinchou. So Chinchou is safer yet fails to always take the opponent out, and Diglett is riskier, but almost always succeeds. That is what I mean by a 'risk and reward argument', as sometimes Diglett will get a free knockout and Chinchou will always stop the Volt Switch, and this is assuming that the Volt Switcher is not running Hidden Power Ground. Which I almost always run on Magnemite and sometimes run on Chinchou.

Also saying Chinchou is the best Choice Scarf is a little bit of an exaggeration. I personally prefer Magnemite or Mienfoo over it as scarfers, although it really depends on the team.

Also, Flash Cannon kills with Analytic, so if either attack first with Priority or switch in, they are knocked out. Therefore, not two 50% rolls. I forgot Ice Beam, but that is what Chinchou should be doing.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I mean something to consider with using Magnemite as a Fletchling check as opposed to Chinchou is that overheat is pretty popular, being on 30% of Fletchling on high ladder in the past month as well as being more popular off ladder from what I've seen. And Overheat, well, roasts Magnemite.

0 SpA Fletchling Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite: 16-20 (84.2 - 105.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0- SpA Fletchling Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite: 14-18 (73.6 - 94.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(I mean you can actually just slap overheat on your normal fletchling and then if you make the right prediction once bam mag's a non-issue)

Chinchou doesn't have this issue, even if it does suffer from taking a bit more from acrobatics.

Overall Chinchou's still an incredibly solid A rank mon, not even the worst one there.

Last edited:
Aipom needs to go to B+ or A-

Used correctly, aipom is a menace to any team, and can carve out spots on balance and offensive teams alike. Despite its reputation, it sees use by many top players. If this isn't enough I'll elaborate more, but I think the move to B+ at least is pretty obvious.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion

wy budew not ranked? C-Rank seems good for this mon. think about what u get: spikes, sleep, a water switchin, a mienfoo switchin, something that sets up in the face of spritzee. it has decent spa, good defensive stats (23/14/14), and a cool typing. u cant expect it to be a full-stop long-term check to fights and such but the way it covers them early and gets up hazards allows ur backup check a lot more breathing room. im not suggesting much but this is a good pokemon

Just about any non-Kingmidas team is gonna have a faster Pokemon that can threaten Snivy consistently, be it Fletchling, Gastly, etc
What is the point of that comment and when do I run teams like that ?_? Like these bad jokes inserted into posts are done way too often and its sad.

Anyway I really disagree with the snivy rise, the meta rn is just not kind to it, ponyta is getting somewhat of a resurgence and the hype of drifloon really limits snivy's damage output, it has to be really careful to not waste turns using glare vs the defensive pokes the team may carry after its already done so or lose momentum vs fast pokes that resist leaf storm. + the BJ sub set is bad and its hidden power is really the only somewhat unpredictable move it has.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
What is the point of that comment and when do I run teams like that ?_? Like these bad jokes inserted into posts are done way too often and its sad.

Anyway I really disagree with the snivy rise, the meta rn is just not kind to it, ponyta is getting somewhat of a resurgence and the hype of drifloon really limits snivy's damage output, it has to be really careful to not waste turns using glare vs the defensive pokes the team may carry after its already done so or lose momentum vs fast pokes that resist leaf storm. + the BJ sub set is bad and its hidden power is really the only somewhat unpredictable move it has.
I cteamed you with a life orb bunnelby once, you run slow teams

#nobeef

After some research, I'd like to pitch taking another Pokemon out of the depths of Smog Frog and into D rank, but probably not any higher.
Glameow: Unranked -> D rank

Glameow @ Life Orb
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Frustration
- Play Rough / Sucker Punch

Glameow is an underrated Pokemon with pretty bad, but optimistic, potential. It reaches 19 speed, which is crucial for metagame viability even in the upper ranks. It has a STAB Fake Out that can hit just as hard as Aipom's, disrupting Sashes and Sturdy while doing solid damage. With a unique ability in Limber (because its other abilities are bad), it can disrupt Thunder Wave or Stun Spore users, as well. U-turn provides Glameow with a fast getaway from bad matchups (it has many) and can even offer momentum if your opponent doesn't stay in against Glameow for some reason, as it can be KO'd by any move ever. STAB Frustration can easily chunk anything that doesn't resist it, especially when boosted by Life Orb. Glameow also has access to Play Rough as a coverage move (neither Aipom nor Meowth can get it, so this is probably Glameow's main niche) to check Fighting-types that switch in, or to finish off Dark and Fighting types that don't have priority (because you'll be very sorry if they do). With Sucker Punch in tandem with Fake Out, Glameow can act as a kind-of decent revenge killer against threats like Abra and Snivy. Don't worry, Knock Off fans, Glameow can get it, too, and with 19 speed, it's basically guaranteed on the unboosted metagame. I just don't use it on this set because two other Pokemon on the team have it.

Notable cons include: being frail, losing to priority without Sucker Punch, limited coverage, being frail, forcing fast U-turning, losing to chip damage, and being frail.

It should be ranked at least higher than Weedle and co., though, right?

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
After some research, I'd like to pitch taking another Pokemon out of the depths of Smog Frog and into D rank, but probably not any higher.
Glameow: Unranked -> D rank

Glameow @ Life Orb
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Frustration
- Play Rough / Sucker Punch

Glameow is an underrated Pokemon with pretty bad, but optimistic, potential. It reaches 19 speed, which is crucial for metagame viability even in the upper ranks. It has a STAB Fake Out that can hit just as hard as Aipom's, disrupting Sashes and Sturdy while doing solid damage. With a unique ability in Limber (because its other abilities are bad), it can disrupt Thunder Wave or Stun Spore users, as well. U-turn provides Glameow with a fast getaway from bad matchups (it has many) and can even offer momentum if your opponent doesn't stay in against Glameow for some reason, as it can be KO'd by any move ever. STAB Frustration can easily chunk anything that doesn't resist it, especially when boosted by Life Orb. Glameow also has access to Play Rough as a coverage move to check Fighting-types that switch in, or to finish off Dark and Fighting types that don't have priority (because you'll be very sorry if they do). With Sucker Punch in tandem with Fake Out, Glameow can act as a decent revenge killer against threats like Abra and Snivy. Don't worry, Knock Off fans, Glameow can get it, too, and with 19 speed, it's basically guaranteed on the unboosted metagame. I just don't use it on this set because two other Pokemon on the team have it.

Notable cons include: being frail, losing to priority without Sucker Punch, limited coverage, being frail, forcing fast U-turning, losing to chip damage, and being frail.

It should be ranked at least higher than Weedle and co., though, right?
Aipom is better in so many ways that it's so incredibly hard to ever justify using Glameow. As you say in your analysis, its niche is getting Play Rough and Sucker Punch alongside Limber, and unfortunately Glameow just isn't a good enough user of these to justify using it over Aipom. It needs Life Orb in order to have enough power to KO anything (55 base attack is really bad), and so it ends up being so incredibly frail that a slight breeze knocks it over. Its defenses are just barely better than Diglett's.

I'll grant you that Play Rough is cool and all, but the biggest thing you'll end up hitting that Aipom can't is Vullaby. Brick Break is enough for Pawniard and most other dark types. Sucker Punch is nice to have (fast priority is always a plus) but Glameow is pretty weak, so it's not doing much except in the case the opponent is weak to dark. Even Fletchling is barely 2HKOed without rocks. The lack of the huge number of coverage options Aipom has that Glameow lacks is a big swing factor for me to even out the relatively few advantages it has.

It has basically three things over Aipom. Limber, Sucker Punch, and being able to hit 19 HP. While Limber is neat and all, you have to be damn confident whenever you switch Glameow in due to how incredibly frail it is. It doesn't help that most users of Thunder Wave or Stun Spore really aren't threatened by Glameow much. Sucker Punch I already covered and I will grant you that it is a nice benefit, but it again suffers from how weak Glameow actually is. The 19 HP is actually kind of nice for being able to spam Fake Out and U-turn like you seem to advise, but it just helps contribute further to Glameow's frailty. (As an aside, yes I would absolutely suggest running 19 HP on Glameow, the loss of 2 HP is made up by lower recoil.)

While I know I sound like a broken record at this point, try swapping out Glameow for Aipom and a large portion of the time it will be worth the exchange.

Incidentally towards your small print point, not all unranked mons are equal. Something being unranked does not mean that it is unusable, just that it doesn't have a strong enough unique niche to be put into D. There's over 230 mons in Little Cup, and I'd be surprised if more than 50 were completely irredeemable trash. There is a cut off, and I feel that Glameow falls below it, even if it is a usable if inferior mon.

E: Something to note about how the MU vs fighting types changes with the addition of Play Rough. Long story short, it doesn't except against Scraggy.
236 Atk Life Orb Glameow Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 13-18 (61.9 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196 Atk Aipom Fury Swipes (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 15-20 (71.4 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196 Atk Life Orb Aipom Fury Swipes (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 20-25 (95.2 - 119%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO {guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock}

236 Atk Life Orb Glameow Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Timburr: 13-18 (54.1 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196 Atk Aipom Fury Swipes (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Timburr: 15-20 (62.5 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196 Atk Life Orb Aipom Fury Swipes (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Timburr: 20-25 (83.3 - 104.1%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

Noibat: Unranked --> D

Noibat is Jesus. The fact this incredible, majestic Pokemon is unranked is complete blasphemy. Since most of you uncultured idiots have no idea what this overpowered, glorious, broken shit-sack of a Pokemon does I'ma post the best set here:

Noibat @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 236 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
IVs: 19 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind/Substitute

Using this mon is extremely straight forward, click moves and kill everything in your path. Dragon/Flying is actually really solid coverage, and Heat Wave fills in the gaps by roasting steels who think that they're safe alive, which actually happens a shit load because no one has any idea what it does. Literally everyone switches Ferroseed into Noibat thinking nothing will happen and have their heart savagely ripped from their chest when Noibat ruthlessly OHKOs them. Hurricane and Draco do surprising damage, Hurricane 2HKOing Download Pory after rocks, and Draco OHKOing support Archen. Noibat also can abuse switches with Sub, or support the rest of the team by setting up a Tailwind. Noibat is good I swear, just put it in D please.

Also OP is only kinda fat and wants Squirtle in D
I agree with this statement. I personally use noibat on my team, and it can basically counter most of its weaknesses. The Tailwind + 3 attacks is amazing, and Noibat deserves to be ranked along with better mons. It deserves to not be categorized with Magikarp

Merritt

no comment
Head TD
I agree with this statement. I personally use noibat on my team, and it can basically counter most of its weaknesses. The Tailwind + 3 attacks is amazing, and Noibat deserves to be ranked along with better mons. It deserves to not be categorized with Magikarp
I have nothing against Noibat rising (although Melon still owes me a match where it doesn't just die) but the last part you put there should not be an argument for things to rise. Ever. The stuff below D is not ranked, that is not ordered according to how good it is. LC viability rankings are most comparable to OU's in that sense, obviously something like Darmanitan is more viable than Castform but that doesn't mean either should be ranked in OU.

So that this isn't just complaining about an argument fallacy, Shroomish should drop from D rank to unranked. While technically having marginally better bulk than Foongus, it only gains it at the cost of regenerator and a lack of a fighting resistance. While it has Drain Punch, the lack of easy passive recovery from regenerator is painful and requires that Shroomish lose turns healing. While Shroomish might be able to deter Steel types somewhat due to Drain Punch, Foongus can do the same with Hidden Power.

The Poison Heal set, on the other hand, just isn't particularly effective, again due to the lack of a Poison typing and being very weak overall. Giving virtually free switches to Fletchling is not the sign of a good or even decent defensive mon. If you want examples of metagame shifts, the rise in use of Vullaby and Drifloon, two Pokemon who give Shroomish no end of trouble without being even moderately threatened should be a decent one. It's just not an effective mon and almost never has been since the beginning of Gen 6.

mad0ka

華々しい
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I have two noms. First, Drifloon -> S. Drifloon is able to win 1v1 vs most of the entire tier with its both fast & bulky subwisp+recycle set, and it's incredibly difficult to prepare for because its best checks are hard to use in a trapping meta. Not only is it able to sweep (if you can even call just wearing everything down "sweeping"), but because it doesn't 100% require substitute, it can also support its team with Knock Off to lure things like Porygon/Spritzee, who may try and outstall Drifloon, or with Defog, as it has no issue switching into Drilbur, one of the most common setters of stealth rock. It can also 1v1 other stealth rock setters like Dwebble, and Archen if you win a tie/have an unburden boost. Additional sets like CM can be used to lure and beat conventional checks like Ponyta, or sub+3 attacks as a compliment to bird spam, but its wisp recycle sets are really what make it S rank, as no other set is able to break past as many different mons. It's wisp recycle set is even able to outstall roost archen, an outstanding feat.

The second nomination is, once again, Diglett -> S. I'm nomming Diglett to S rank for its supporting ability. The reasons that kept Diglett at A+ were that it was too weak, but that really doesn't matter much. Just the threat of Diglett keeps down the usage of otherwise very good mons like Ponyta and Skrelp, but not only that, Diglett is able to form extremely threatening cores. We all know the infamous Fletchdig core, but something kinda slept on is Floondig. Drifloon's subwisp+recycle set has two good counters: resttalk chinchou and Ponyta. Berry juice chinchou also works as a check, but it's mediocre due to getting worn down and it's also lured by Knock Off Drifloon. Anyways, Diglett just traps and kills these two, paving the way for a Drifloon 6-0. This is a core that many others and I have expressed concern over, as not every team should be required to run Flame Charge Ponyta, something that's easy enough to abuse anyways because it sacrifices its ability to deal with its other checks/counters besides Diglett. Diglett is not only deserving of S rank for its ability to form amazing cores with Fletchling and Drifloon, but also many other things like Shellder, Vullaby, Fighter spam, Carvanha, Zigzagoon, and GastBra. I'll just reiterate that it is not Diglett's offensive capabilities that warrant S rank, but rather its supporting facilities in forming cores and lowering usage of ground-weak mons as defensive checks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)