Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

This may be a dumb question but does the ability to get older moves from RBY with pokebank change the metagame at all? Ik a lot of pokes get fissure but that won't affect OU. Is there any poke that gets moves that could benefit it more in OU?

p2

Banned deucer.
bubblebeam clefable is the only noteworthy one for its ability to hit talonflame for se damage regardless of whether it roosts or not. other than that i really don't think there is much.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
So I've been wanting to use Curse Gastrodon for a while, as it seems like a really cool bulky sweeper that can even threaten offense with enough boosts. I don't wanna use stall though, so I wanna ask: Does Curse Gastrodon fit on balance?

n.n rattata

Banned deucer.
So I've been wanting to use Curse Gastrodon for a while, as it seems like a really cool bulky sweeper that can even threaten offense with enough boosts. I don't wanna use stall though, so I wanna ask: Does Curse Gastrodon fit on balance?
It does, yeah. All bulky waters fit on balance.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is there a suspect test to reintroduce/ ban something in plan? The metagame has been rather stale lately. It'll be fun to get/ lose something
There is nothing being discussed atm. The policy review subforum has been pretty dead in the past few weeks and the meta is pretty balanced atm, so I don't expect we'll see one anytime soon.

which pokemon in OU has the best 2-move or STAB coverage in the meta? e.g. Megagross with zen headbutt+MMash, something with boltbeam, etc. I suppose coverage isn't quite the word for it, because I think power should be taken into account as well.

which pokemon in OU has the best 2-move or STAB coverage in the meta? e.g. Megagross with zen headbutt+MMash, something with boltbeam, etc. I suppose coverage isn't quite the word for it, because I think power should be taken into account as well.
Azu or zard x.

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well nothing resists Mega Lopunny's STABs (High Jump Kick + Return), so I'd say that, although azu/charx also have good 2-move coverage.

What is the viability of specs heatran? It seems like it can put a dent into a lot of things with max spattack fire blast. I'm curious if it considered a useful set on balance.

What is the viability of specs heatran? It seems like it can put a dent into a lot of things with max spattack fire blast. I'm curious if it considered a useful set on balance.
Personally I do not think it would be of very much use to you. Since things like rotom, defensive starmies, and keldeos like to switch in and honestly dont take much damage from your attacks and some of those mons being able to restore their hp. And things you wanna hit like landos and diancie can outspeed and ohko right back. This is why scarf seems better, since it can outspeed and ko threats like diancie. Specs heatran just doesnt seem good considering its typing and speed.

Good Core with LO Conkeldurr? Coverage is Drain Punch, Ice Punch, Poison Jab, and Thunder Punch
working on a core right now for it as well. I currently have scarf tar + colbur latias. Scarf tar lets you outspeed and pursuit trap threats like starmie and lati twins. While lati lets you take on things like keldeo which LO conk does not appreciate.

Personally I do not think it would be of very much use to you. Since things like rotom, defensive starmies, and keldeos like to switch in and honestly dont take much damage from your attacks and some of those mons being able to restore their hp. And things you wanna hit like landos and diancie can outspeed and ohko right back. This is why scarf seems better, since it can outspeed and ko threats like diancie. Specs heatran just doesnt seem good considering its typing and speed.
Thats why I run it with HP Electric. (And Overheat) It's not very popular so people won't just assume it and it puts in so much work most games. It gets outsped by stuff yeah, but I generally use it as a wallbreaker and not to outspeed stuff. If I remember my calcs, a Modest Heatran with Specs Overheat does like 70% to Keldeo, so with little damage done to it, it's not a switchin.

What's the point of Latias running Psyshock over Psychic? It's not like you are going to be able to get past blobs and Clefable by using it over Psychic which OHKOes Chesnaught, Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur (Psyshock can't do this). The only merit I can see is beating Sub CM Keldeo easier but it's not like the set is super common atm and Psychic hits Keldeo very hard anyway.

I used to play competitive pokemon back in dpp and early early bw, but I stopped. I've started playing and I'm extremely new to ORAS. I'm wondering how exactly stall is viable with stuff like defog. Is stall TOTALLY unviable, when you can't spinblock hazards at all? It just seems it would just autolose against defoggers. Am i Wrong?

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
I used to play competitive pokemon back in dpp and early early bw, but I stopped. I've started playing and I'm extremely new to ORAS. I'm wondering how exactly stall is viable with stuff like defog. Is stall TOTALLY unviable, when you can't spinblock hazards at all? It just seems it would just autolose against defoggers. Am i Wrong?
Stall is viable but has been decreasing in viability over the past few months due to the ban of Shadow Tag and the rise in usage of huge offensive threats. I doubt Defog is one of the reasons for the decrease in viability, because stall has multiple ways of pressuring common Defoggers (Skarmory and Lati@s, by far the most common ones, are pressured by pokemon such as MSableye, SpD Skarmory and Tyranitar.)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
What's the point of Latias running Psyshock over Psychic? It's not like you are going to be able to get past blobs and Clefable by using it over Psychic which OHKOes Chesnaught, Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur (Psyshock can't do this). The only merit I can see is beating Sub CM Keldeo easier but it's not like the set is super common atm and Psychic hits Keldeo very hard anyway.
You net more damage on AV Azumarill and AV Torn-T.

Why are landorus therian and garchomp OU? To me they have huge targets on them (one shot me with an ice move) and you never know which pokemon on their team has that one ice move no matter how rare that will one shot you easily, constantly living in fear of that ice move that will one shot and lose you the game, keldeo with icy wind, jolteon with hidden power ice, Victini with glaciate the fear is always there lol.

Ice in general seems really overpowered if i have 3 punches (fire, ice and thunder) and i predict you will switch out i will go with ice every time why? strongest status in the game, one freeze and the game is won very often, the variety of pokemon that ice either one shots (4x weakness, dragonite, gliscor, altariai) the popularity of dragons and the diversity of pokemon that are weak to ice all flying, dragon, ground and grass the types mentioned are some of the most common types in the game, ice is often the best move to use as a neutral hit aswell in hopes of that freeze. Am i wrong in thinking ice is just the best coverage move going?.

My last observation is that physical attackers are at a huge disadvantage in general so why would you bother even using them? for example Iron barbs, rough skin, rocky helmet, Burn, Intimidate, Spiky shield. All things only applying to physical attackers there is no such equivalent for special unless i'm mistaken so really what's the point in physical attackers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)