Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
With RBY -> Sun & Moon transfers confirmed, would it be worth it to figure out how to RNG on Red / Blue / Yellow? Or would it face the same issues as RNGing in XYORAS? (being based on the 3DS).

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
With RBY -> Sun & Moon transfers confirmed, would it be worth it to figure out how to RNG on Red / Blue / Yellow? Or would it face the same issues as RNGing in XYORAS? (being based on the 3DS).
Nope, but it would face several issues for RNGing.

There's 2 RNGs (kind'a...) running alongside each other (that's not unreasonable), but they both advance every frame (think Emerald RNG, mixed with the multiple RNGs of later generations); and advance differently based on the buttons you're pressing, etc. [I.e. both RNGs might be completely different if you held A for 2 frames longer when selecting your save file.

This would also affect things when starting the encounter, since the DVs get set shortly after the encounter. So if you pressed A after the encounter was set, but before the DVs, you'd likely get completely different DVs.

[Mix that with the fact that I believe it was shown that flawless DV wild Pokémon cannot possibly be caught, I'd say unless there's discovered to be some incredible exclusive, it's really not worth the hassle.]

Last edited:
In addition to what .com said about the issues with RNGing RGBY, we know nothing about how this "transfer" will work, it's a completely different format that could be as simple as turning DVs into IVs (RIP 1st gen mons with decent IVs) to ignoring everything about the 1st gen game format and just generating a completely new Pokemon with the same nickname+lvl.

We don't even know if they'll be able to keep 1st gen exclusive moves, doing it through Bank means they can compare mons against the same legality checker they already use, all they would have to do is not add 1st gen exclusive moves to a mons valid movepool and suddenly you can't transfer Payday Mewtwo or Fissure Machamp.

[Mix that with the fact that I believe it was shown that flawless DV wild Pokémon cannot possibly be caught, I'd say unless there's discovered to be some incredible exclusive, it's really not worth the hassle.]
If it's not too much trouble, can you find the source for this? I tried searching if it's impossible to find a flawless DV mon in the wild in RBY, but I didn't see anything saying so.

Thanks.

So I'm experiencing some trouble with Emerald breeding RNG:
I'm aiming for a fairly specific shiny, which occurs on frame 12912 with 1 redraw. I hit the frame, but didn't get it shiny, so I checked and the PID is from a different calibration number (19 instead of my usual 20). Alright, I say, I'll just look for shinies on 19 calibration. Find one at 14504 with 0 redraws. Load my state, hit the frame, didn't get it again. Now I hit a frame from the 20 frame calibration list.

Is it normal for calibration to flip-flop like that?

Nope, but it would face several issues for RNGing.

There's 2 RNGs (kind'a...) running alongside each other (that's not unreasonable), but they both advance every frame (think Emerald RNG, mixed with the multiple RNGs of later generations); and advance differently based on the buttons you're pressing, etc. [I.e. both RNGs might be completely different if you held A for 2 frames longer when selecting your save file.

This would also affect things when starting the encounter, since the DVs get set shortly after the encounter. So if you pressed A after the encounter was set, but before the DVs, you'd likely get completely different DVs.

I believe I recall reading that RNG abuse was impossible on a cart in R/B/Y/G/S/C. Here is some technical info about it though.

So if it is indeed true that wild Pokémon cannot have flawless DVs, then a Pokémon that is given perfect DVs by the Arbitrary Code Glitch may be flagged as a hack by Bank. Still, like Dark Ray said, we know nothing about the transfer at this point, so this remains to be seen.

So I'm experiencing some trouble with Emerald breeding RNG:
I'm aiming for a fairly specific shiny, which occurs on frame 12912 with 1 redraw. I hit the frame, but didn't get it shiny, so I checked and the PID is from a different calibration number (19 instead of my usual 20). Alright, I say, I'll just look for shinies on 19 calibration. Find one at 14504 with 0 redraws. Load my state, hit the frame, didn't get it again. Now I hit a frame from the 20 frame calibration list.

Is it normal for calibration to flip-flop like that?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be easier to just get an egg, then RNG a new save file to hatch it in? (or do it like me and have 8000 save files ready, then just see if the egg hatches shiny in one of those lel...but nobody is as crazy as I am I guess)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be easier to just get an egg, then RNG a new save file to hatch it in? (or do it like me and have 8000 save files ready, then just see if the egg hatches shiny in one of those lel...but nobody is as crazy as I am I guess)
I don't think you can trade eggs before the E4 in Gen III?
Doubt that's easier.

Anyway, I removed the mother's Everstone and that stopped my frame from jumping around, so I guess it's resolved?

I don't think you can trade eggs before the E4 in Gen III?
Doubt that's easier.

Anyway, I removed the mother's Everstone and that stopped my frame from jumping around, so I guess it's resolved?
You're right. Not until you get the National Dex. Regardless, that's really a non-issue as long as you're RNGing on the emulator, because you can use A-Save to get the egg in and out of your games with ease. Unless of course you're not RNGing on emulator. :P

Trying to RNG a No Guard Machop in Rock Tunnel in HG. My target is frame 315 (seed B60804FE). I have all 3 roamers out. My lead is a female Cleffa with Cute Charm. I listened to Chatot's cry 309 times. That should give me the Machop, right?

1 (initial frame) + 3 (roamers) + 309 (Chatot) + 2 (Sweet Scent) = 315

...but I got a Geodude. Did I do something wrong? It says "Cute Charm (Female)" - is that referring to the gender of the Cute Charm Pokémon, or the gender of my target Pokémon?

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Trying to RNG a No Guard Machop in Rock Tunnel in HG. My target is frame 315 (seed B60804FE). I have all 3 roamers out. My lead is a female Cleffa with Cute Charm. I listened to Chatot's cry 309 times. That should give me the Machop, right?

1 (initial frame) + 3 (roamers) + 309 (Chatot) + 2 (Sweet Scent) = 315

...but I got a Geodude. Did I do something wrong? It says "Cute Charm (Female)" - is that referring to the gender of the Cute Charm Pokémon, or the gender of my target Pokémon?
Cute Charm (Female) - the gender of your lead Pokemon.

Anyway I wouldn't do it like you did, especially on frames that high. Aim for about 10 frames before your target and then use Elm calls to verify your frame (or if the phone doesn't work in tunnels which I can't remember if it does or not, follow the Chatot sounds on RNG Reporter).

Otherwise it's just the same as any other RNG, check what frame the Geodude was on and then calibrate to hit your Machop.

XY:
I'm trying to SR a starter. Because this is a horrid process, I've rubberbanded my 3DSXL to hold down the L-R buttons. I'm now at >4000 resets. Having these buttons pressed or held down wouldn't prevent me from getting a shiny, right?

This Q is regarding the frame mechanism, I know pressing buttons advance/change the frame, but there's no such thing as being locked out of all shiny frames because of buttons being held down, is there?

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
XY:
I'm trying to SR a starter. Because this is a horrid process, I've rubberbanded my 3DSXL to hold down the L-R buttons. I'm now at >4000 resets. Having these buttons pressed or held down wouldn't prevent me from getting a shiny, right?

This Q is regarding the frame mechanism, I know pressing buttons advance/change the frame, but there's no such thing as being locked out of all shiny frames because of buttons being held down, is there?
Nope, should be fine.

Is there a way for consistent seed generation in FR/LG?
I'm doing this on emulator so timing isn't much of an issue, I know it's generated on 32bit 0x04000104 and put in 0x02020000 so I know how to read my starting frame, I'm just wondering how I can aim for a specific starting seed (if at all possible).

I'm doing this on emulator so timing isn't much of an issue, I know it's generated on 32bit 0x04000104 and put in 0x02020000 so I know how to read my starting frame, I'm just wondering how I can aim for a specific starting seed (if at all possible).
I'm sure there's some way of getting it decently consistent, but honestly, I wouldn't bother. Even on emulator. What I like to do, is to savestate at the startmenu and load the game on different frames and then check what frame I'm at (use Method 1 Pokés to find your frame), then go from there.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Load the game, get to the first point where you can press A (around 300 frames) and pause. Make sure you hit A on EXACTLY 300 frames. Then the second place where you can press A (at the Venusaur / Charizard screen) without having to press A twice is at around 700 frames. This is when the seed is decided. It is important that you only press A twice because apparently the seed jumps around if you press buttons too much. If you constantly press A at ONLY 300 frames and 700 frames, the seeds will be very close to each other (e.g., 0x0CEX, where X changes). With this you can find some seeds that you will hit consistently but not every time. The clock that generates it runs at 27,000 cycles per frame so tiny differences in the frame advancement will mean that it is impossible to ALWAYS hit the same seed. But you will get a group of seeds that you can hit on a regular basis, and if they all suck, just change your frame slightly (e.g. use 701 instead of 700) and try again.

So here's something...interesting that I've encountered.

In SoulSilver, I just RNG'd my ID for a shiny nature (with Adamant/Careful, and the seed A20204B7). Using the delay of 4707, and the year 2016, I obtained the ID 56672 with the PID 31702. In other words, a successful ID/PID abuse. However, when I pull up RNGReporter to verify that the ID/SID has the correct shiny (by looking for the "!!!"), I don't see it. I've been going in circles trying to see what I did wrong. Here's a screenie to help elaborate.

What puzzles me is that when I input the ID/SID for a certain spread in my other SoulSilver cart, which has Modest/Timid, I do see the "!!!". So I'm thinking RNGReporter either gave me an ID/PID with a false shiny combo or it's just missing the "!!!" data.

I also input the ID/PID of 09247/33452 (the one just above mine in the screenshot), and I'm still not seeing the "!!!". Is it possible the shiny indicator has not been updated for this particular combo?

Last edited:

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
So here's something...interesting that I've encountered.

In SoulSilver, I just RNG'd my ID for a shiny nature (with Adamant/Careful, and the seed A20204B7). Using the delay of 4707, and the year 2016, I obtained the ID 56672 with the PID 31702. In other words, a successful ID/PID abuse. However, when I pull up RNGReporter to verify that the ID/SID has the correct shiny (by looking for the "!!!"), I don't see it. I've been going in circles trying to see what I did wrong. Here's a screenie to help elaborate.

What puzzles me is that when I input the ID/SID for a certain spread in my other SoulSilver cart, which has Modest/Timid, I do see the "!!!". So I'm thinking RNGReporter either gave me an ID/PID with a false shiny combo or it's just missing the "!!!" data.

I also input the ID/PID of 09247/33452 (the one just above mine in the screenshot), and I'm still not seeing the "!!!". Is it possible the shiny indicator has not been updated for this particular combo?
Cause you RNGed to make the "seed" value shiny xD not the PID of the Pokemon

Also RNG Reporter doesn't need to update for the "combos" of TID / SID / PID, it does a simple calculation. So it would take a very strange bug to make only a few of the values to not show up.

Cause you RNGed to make the "seed" value shiny xD not the PID of the Pokemon

Also RNG Reporter doesn't need to update for the "combos" of TID / SID / PID, it does a simple calculation. So it would take a very strange bug to make only a few of the values to not show up.
That's my point though - using the inputted ID/SID combo, it's not showing that seed value as shiny, even though Pandora's Box says it will be.

Edit: Ack, it's been so long since I've done this, did I really make a mistake there? Darn. :/

Edit 2: Found the mistake,. thanks for the heads up! Now to fix it. :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)