Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this possible third legendary does have mare somewhere in its meaning, and is related to shadows (Pokemon Eclipse 3rd version, calling it now.) I think there's a good chance we'll have some sort of new horse Pokemon. Maybe headless horseman?

MAMP

MAMP!
So apparently Ashimari could possibly be derived from the japanese word ashika (海驢), meaning sea lion, and possibly from mari (鞠) meaning ball (this could also be short for marine). If this is the case, and other peoples speculation on the names is correct, then Nyabby, Ashimari, and Mokuroh are probably our starters for Sun and Moon.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
See, this is the kind of speculation I enjoy, and the kind I think Game Freak/TPCi should encourage. Not baseless along the lines of "it would be really cool if...", but more like "this thing we're getting... what is it?". Something concrete to discuss, we know (or at least, have a pretty good feeling about) that it is coming, but we have no ideas what it will be like... at first. Then the details are being analyzed, clues unraveled, and we're left with what seems like a pretty solid guess. From there on, we can imagine the details, building actual expectations rather than pure wishes.

It's like being told by your parents that "something will happen this summer". At first, you have no idea what to expect, and you're not paying too much attention to it. It could be that the house will be repainted, or you'll go on a holiday, or aunt Susan will come over to visit and bring all her cats. No reason to think it will be a big or exciting deal.

Then, you find out it will involve a family trip. That's when you start dreaming about places to go. It could be that trip to Disney World you've always wanted, or you're going to stay with aunt Susan in the middle of nowhere for six weeks, to help repair her roof and weed her garden. Still, you're dreaming, and you can't wait to hear more.

But when you know how good it's going to be, that's when you're jumping with joy. When your mom lets it slip that it involves going to Orlando, and gives you a camera for your birthday. That's when the joy really kicks in. At worst, you'll only go to Sea World, but that's still pretty awesome. You're still really excited, and can hardly wait for the weeks to pass.

Currently, the officials are keeping us in the first phase, but through discoveries we're entering the second, and we're getting more excited. TPCi seems to think baseless speculation is the most fun thing ever, but we speculate baselessly all the time, we have since the minute after ORAS hit the shelves, and knowing there's a game on the horizon doesn't change things much. But when there is a good base for the speculation, that's when discussions are blooming. Eveybody can make a wish list, but discussing somebody else's wishes is... less than fun. "User X wants a marsupial legendary and for the region to be based on Uruguay. User Y thinks we're due for a Tucson-based region and wants the starter types to be Bug, Ice and Rock. Neither is likely, because I want my archipelago region and Electric starter." When we have common grounds for speculation, however, and actual hints to interpret together, we can start hyping each other up. Had KenoDbored above started talking about a moon eagle legendary a week ago, I'd have issued warning points. Now, however, I'm all ears, since he found a clue and gave it a pretty solid interpretation. "Well observed!" I say, rather than "Sure, could happen."

Now only to wait for the officials to drop more hints. Maybe artwork. Will it be a sun lion or a sun shark? Is the moon eagle, Lunarla, theory correct? I'm intrigued. We're reading the first chapter of the great mystery novel, and the details of the mystery are being presented. Now, that's more interesting than just knowing there's a book to read.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It is kind of sad GF/TPC haven't done anything but tease us while its the patent office which has given us the most news we can sink our teeth into (heck, we discovered the trademark for Sun & Moon plus their logos from them a day before GF/TPC announced them) and that's unintentionally.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Come to think of it, the only thing we've truly gotten from TPC's announcements regarding Sun/Moon is the approximate release date. Magearna was revealed through a CoroCoro leak, the Sun/Moon logos and trademarks were discovered at the patent office, and now the Pokémon names were found buried in publications from an IP lawyer.

Seems like somebody need to address their public relations strategy...

Speaking of, was Magearna ever actually confirmed to be a SM mon? Or did we all assume it is? It's in the movie for Pokemon XY&Z, while if it was a SM mon it would be in one of the SM movies, the movie comes out before the games meaning that we'll probably learn a great deal about its move pool and ability which I don't think they'd let happen if it wasn't being released until SM, every other generation has had a 'pixie' legendary with all base 100 stats (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, Shaymin, and Victini) except gen 6 and being a legendary with a fairy typing it fits the bill perfectly, and the movie's release would be the perfect opportunity to release it to the games. What evidence do we have that it won't be released until Sun and Moon come out?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
What evidence do we have that it won't be released until Sun and Moon come out?
Because it is not in any of the current games' code, and if Game Freak had added the ability to patch in Pokémon completely from scratch, they wouldn't have held it off until now.

Because it is not in any of the current games' code, and if Game Freak had added the ability to patch in Pokémon completely from scratch, they wouldn't have held it off until now.
Plus we wouldnt have found out about Diance, Hoopa, and Volcanion via hackers if they had the ability to add in pokemon after a generation release.

Plus the fact that usually the movie before a generation release features at least one pokemon from the new generation. This one is Magearna.

I think the point they're getting at is that while it's pretty obvious it is a SM mon, it's still not something Game Freak/TPCi (I swear Karx has me on edge about which one to reference >_>) have actually gone out and clarified as an SM mon - they're advertising it as movie news, and not SM news.

The thing is...how many people actually play these games for plot? I know that I sure don't. If you want plot in pokemon go play the cube games.
A bit of a late reply but I wanted to add something here.

I do personally not play Pokemon for the plot/story, but it can be a factor of enjoyment for me. The story in a Pokemon game is not a deciding factor for me as there is so much else that can lift the game, (for example, I wasn't very fond of the story in X/Y but I still like the games on the whole as they have many other positive things that lift them). Though, if the story is bad and the games as a whole are bad and have nothing that lifts them, I'm a bit more negative to the story than I usually am (this is mainly regarding HG/SS). But if a game has a good story, that is always a plus in my eyes. I think the best stories were those in B/W, Platinum, OR/AS and B2/W2, so I would like to see Sun/Moon follow up on the same level as those. Or even higher, for that matter. For me, the story is one of the motivations to play through the main game, I feel that if the story is good, the main game is more fun and motivating to play though. Though there are of course other factors involed as well.

Then, regarding the evil teams. Unlike most others it seems, I'm not a very big fan of Team Rocket, I find them lame and boring, I think all the other teams were better than them. Then I don't really mind there being an evil team in every game, it would probably feel very strange without one. And I'm sure many fans would be very angry and upset if there were no evil team in Sun/Moon.

Edit: Forgot to say, I think Colosseum & XD had pretty good stories too.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I think the point they're getting at is that while it's pretty obvious it is a SM mon, it's still not something Game Freak/TPCi (I swear Karx has me on edge about which one to reference >_>) have actually gone out and clarified as an SM mon - they're advertising it as movie news, and not SM news.
Why would they specifically reveal its typing if magearna only ever appeared in a movie?

Why would they specifically reveal its typing if magearna only ever appeared in a movie?
Because it's still something new about the Pokémon?
Still, I'm not saying that Game Freak are specifically advertising it as a movie-only Pokémon or whatever - it's the fact that for whatever reason, they've gone out of their way to not say "Hey, look at this new Sun and Moon Pokémon!"

A bit of a late reply but I wanted to add something here.

I do personally not play Pokemon for the plot/story, but it can be a factor of enjoyment for me. The story in a Pokemon game is not a deciding factor for me as there is so much else that can lift the game, (for example, I wasn't very fond of the story in X/Y but I still like the games on the whole as they have many other positive things that lift them). Though, if the story is bad and the games as a whole are bad and have nothing that lifts them, I'm a bit more negative to the story than I usually am (this is mainly regarding HG/SS). But if a game has a good story, that is always a plus in my eyes. I think the best stories were those in B/W, Platinum, OR/AS and B2/W2, so I would like to see Sun/Moon follow up on the same level as those. Or even higher, for that matter. For me, the story is one of the motivations to play through the main game, I feel that if the story is good, the main game is more fun and motivating to play though. Though there are of course other factors involed as well.

Then, regarding the evil teams. Unlike most others it seems, I'm not a very big fan of Team Rocket, I find them lame and boring, I think all the other teams were better than them. Then I don't really mind there being an evil team in every game, it would probably feel very strange without one. And I'm sure many fans would be very angry and upset if there were no evil team in Sun/Moon.

Edit: Forgot to say, I think Colosseum & XD had pretty good stories too.
My point was is that they don't need to try with the story because people will buy it anyway. However, that being said, B/W imo had the worse story and R/S/E/OR/AS were pretty terrible too, as was B2/W2. Hell, outside the Cube games, the only stories that remotely did anything for me was gen 1's, the general story plot model at that time was new so it didn't bore me, and PL because you actually felt a threat to the world from Cyrus. Even with PL I'd only give it a 7 out of 10 with story and only a 8 out of ten for gen 1. This is compared to 2-3's I'd give all the other handheld games. Basically, why spend a bunch of effort in an area that they have historical not needed anything in to make loads of cash?

Edit: Also, just want to toss in how much effort it would take to actually make the story for the handheld games really good. The games have the avatar character being you, so in order to keep that part of the games they would have to make large amounts of personal choice in the story that actually do something. This is also why the cube games do the story part a bit better, as the "player" character's already have a little bit more personality to them, so it is easier to make a more compelling story.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
My point was is that they don't need to try with the story because people will buy it anyway. However, that being said, B/W imo had the worse story and R/S/E/OR/AS were pretty terrible too, as was B2/W2. Hell, outside the Cube games, the only stories that remotely did anything for me was gen 1's, the general story plot model at that time was new so it didn't bore me, and PL because you actually felt a threat to the world from Cyrus. Even with PL I'd only give it a 7 out of 10 with story and only a 8 out of ten for gen 1. This is compared to 2-3's I'd give all the other handheld games. Basically, why spend a bunch of effort in an area that they have historical not needed anything in to make loads of cash?
Are you kidding?
BW had the best story and it was exactly why many Japanese men who were Pokemon fans during Gen 1 returned to playing Pokemon!
Gen 6 was a let down for everyone!

I mean statistically. The above is NOT my opinion.

Are you kidding?
BW had the best story and it was exactly why many Japanese men who were Pokemon fans during Gen 1 returned to playing Pokemon!
Gen 6 was a let down for everyone!
Odd, gen 6's story killed pokemon where I lived at the time, MN. (Serious I had a club I went too of 60ish pokemon players and almost all of us quit for the time because of how bad those 5th gen games were) N was a terrible character IMO, Gnetis was a cliche already used in the series, the gym leaders were terrible with the only two that are really all the popular are because of "they are sexy". The region looked like trash, ect ect. I good write a paper on how those games were terrible and as an fyi, I quit pokemon for a bit because of that gen. Gen 6' story may have been trash but at least the characters and pokemon were loads better. The region while not being great as also loads better.

Edit: For the record, I like every gen but 5th. Sooo yeah.

While I too don't like N, I understand the basis of his character - To his perspective, humans are really awful to Pokemon. He sees Pokemon as humans' slaves, that they don't have their own free will. Hence why N uses the term "friend" when it comes to Pokemon, and he uses Pokemon from the nearby routes to battle you.

On top of this, we have Ghetsis acting as a good advisor, wanting people to renounce their Pokemon. ... So that way he's the only one who has power. While he isn't as interesting as Cyrus (And believe me, I know Cyrus is pretty fucked up), Ghetsis has a clear goal and he's fighting for that - He would abuse his own adopted son for this goal.

Also the Gym Leaders having more to do in-game besides you battling them is legit really cool. While only a few GLs do things in Sinnoh, everyone in the BW games has a job, and a thing they do for the world of Unova.

This isn't to say the BW games are flawless, but they have done some good in my eyes, even if those things I might not like too much.

One thing I've noticed is that Solgaleo sounds is a more masculine name, while Lunaala is more feminine. In particular, I'd like to draw a parallel here to the Greek gods Apollo and Artemis; in particular, their bows. Apollo's is described as being sharp and searing, like the sun, while Artemis's is soft like moonlight; things it shoots die painlessly.

What does this mean for the potential cover legends? At first glance, it leads me to believe that Solgaleo will be a very offensive Pokemon, while Lunaala will be more defense/support. However, there are a few things that make me doubt this. The first of which being Meowstic. Back when it was first announced, we all thought Meowstic-M would be the damage dealer, but they made it a supporter and gave the female one the offensive role. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something similar with Solgaleo and Lunaala.

However, an even more compelling argument against it is that I just can't see Game Freak making Lunaala a defensive support Pokemon. Why?

Because it already exists. We already have a defense-oriented legendary Pokemon based on the moon in Cresselia. Sure, GF has duplicated Pokemon before (See: Poliwag/Tympole, Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan/Throh and Sawk, Machop/Timburr), but I still trust them enough to not repeat the exact same design and battle role of a legendary.

So where does this leave their potential roles? At the risk of entering the realm of speculation, I think it would be interesting to see Solgaleo be a slow, bulky attacker, and Lunaala be a fast supporter with a wide utility movepool.

Also, the name "Lunaala" will never not sound ridiculous to me.

My point was is that they don't need to try with the story because people will buy it anyway.
And I think that is a pretty good point. The Pokemon games are popular and the story is generally not the main thing regarding them so they will surely sell well even without a good story. I still appreciate it when they have good stories but they can surely still be good even without one.
Edit: Also, just want to toss in how much effort it would take to actually make the story for the handheld games really good. The games have the avatar character being you, so in order to keep that part of the games they would have to make large amounts of personal choice in the story that actually do something. This is also why the cube games do the story part a bit better, as the "player" character's already have a little bit more personality to them, so it is easier to make a more compelling story.
This is actually one thing I like with the games because that gives you (as a player) the option to set a personailty of your own to your character (or just imagine them to be yourself) as opposed to giving them a set personality. That's not to say I like games which has a set personality for the main character (mainly games other than Pokemon), it all depends on what I am looking for at the moment.

It is also interesting to see how we are at complete different ends regarding Gen 5. It is my favorite in almost every aspect, I really liked the story and characters, the region, the new Pokemon and almost everything about it. Even more interesting, it is the generation that got me back into Pokemon after a severe burnout, while it made you lose most of your interest. If there is something positive to get out of this, I suppose it is the diversity of opinions and experiences that exist in the fandom.

Back on track... I can't think of anything to say about Sun/Moon more than that I am looking forward to them and awating more information about anything regarding them.

It would be worth it as it would elevate the games. And now I am imagining a wonderful hybrid between Pokémon and Knights of the Old Republic. We wants the precious...

It would be worth it as it would elevate the games. And now I am imagining a wonderful hybrid between Pokémon and Knights of the Old Republic. We wants the precious...
I'd be okay with it, just doesn't seem cost effective from the Game Freak point of view. I mean, why put in more effort when you are already making bank? Trust me, I adore Gale of Darkness to the point I have played through it at least 50 times, but yeah, just don't see it happening nor do I need it to purchase the next gen. Just keep the collecting part good and the competitive battles enjoyable and I am happy. And just a thought as well, the second half isn't even on Game Freak's part, it lands more on Smogon as I hate VCG lol. So, thinking about it...that isn't even something they have to do. Maybe I am just an addict lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)