Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Something can actually be perceived from 'Solgaleo'. 'Sol' obviously being 'solar' for the sun, and 'leo' obviously being 'lion'. It's not much at all, but it does give a vague idea as to the aesthetics of the sun legendary.
"Galeo" might also be a shortened variant of "Galileo", after the Italian scientist who publicly spoke of his findings that the Earth went around the Sun. I guess "Copernicus" was a little too long-winded, and Copernicus himself was a little too humble, to be made into a Pokémon name.

Anyway, a sun lion design seems... well, I could believe it, and I'm not going to speculate on details or give counter-proposals, but giving us that just one generation after Pyroar? I mean, we have got legendaries related to/resembling previous generation Pokémon before, but then the two were usually both legendaries, and related to each other in some way (Moltres and Ho-Oh, Regis and Regigigas, etc.). It'd be strange for Game Freak to just repeat a previous design concept for an ordinary Pokémon a mere generation after its debut.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Serebii says the trademarks were registered back in February. They probably went undetected because they weren't filed by GF/Nintendo/Creatures, but instead what appears to be a legal proxy.

I'm just gonna say that this feels like it leans toward my Pokespain theory, or at the very least this game will be based in Europe.

"Lunaala" will probably become "Lunara." It doesn't take much to infer where "Solgaleo" comes from.

The first Michael Bay Transformers movie is at least a decent guilty pleasure.

At this point, all I can hope for is that the hypothetical movie is enjoyable to watch, whether it's good or not. That's all I ask for.
Dunno, I found the Hoopa movie enjoyable.

Reactions: JES
The first Michael Bay Transformers movie is at least a decent guilty pleasure.

At this point, all I can hope for is that the hypothetical movie is enjoyable to watch, whether it's good or not. That's all I ask for.
Well, I liked the Diancie movie...

Reactions: JES

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So... from the link Karxrida posted, we have four more names: Mokuroh, Ashimari, Nyabby and Marshadow.

While it isn't 100 % confirmed that these are Pokémon, it's close enough to be mentioned in this thread. Interestingly, one of the names even makes sense in English. Typically, that's a trait of Legendaries, made for their names to be used across language barriers.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Nyabby might be a fire type feline starter. Bi often means fire, and Nya means Meow in Japanese.
Only Marshadow sounds English, all others sound Japanese.

Mokuroh should be the grass type starter, as moku means wood.
It could be a conjunction between Moku and Claw, or kuro which means black.

I have no idea about Ashimari though. It doesn't sound like anything I know.

Koumashiki

n o   h o m o
is an Artist Alumnus
Looking at the name "Nyabby", I immediately thought "hmmm fire cat???"

Wonder what "gigareki" is really supposed to mean, something like "giga history" (reki means history) doesn't really make sense. Also, "gareki" means debri, wreckage, and there are plenty of possibile meanings for "gi". But I might just be overthinking anyway.

Huh. I'm famous now. (Lolnotreallyjk)

I suppose if these are true then you can add more fuel to the "Storyline significant Eclipse" theory, huh? (Cue Pokemon Eclipse speculation in 8 months) After all, an eclipse is the shadow of either the moon on the sun or the earth on the moon. So it does check out there too.

And if we get a Fire Cat starter, i am totally naming it after the best made-up animal of all time: Puma. (Older people on the internet may get the joke.)

And on the off chance this is some kinda hoax (maybe it's me being overly cautious, maybe it's the fact that part of my name is in one of the pokemon's name, but i'm willing to wait and see) then kudos to the person who came up with it. Pretty clever names.

Edit: Also if the names are correct... Odds are i will want Moon. If it essentially has the word Wing in it, it's highly likely a bird or The Giant Space Butterfly. And I would totally want either one.

Edit 2: Incidentally: Mar means "Sea" in Spanish, which is derived from the latin word for sea: Mare. Which happens to be the name given to the dark spots on the moon.

Last edited:
Still crossing my fingers for the cutesy mythical to be a dog.

But a fire cat starter would be cool, as long as it doesn't evolve into a Pyroar ripoff (I'd love a Fire/Dark panther starter personally). Chances are, I'll be picking the fire cat, unless its evolution is a lion or there's a better starter.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Still crossing my fingers for the cutesy mythical to be a dog.

But a fire cat starter would be cool, as long as it doesn't evolve into a Pyroar ripoff (I'd love a Fire/Dark panther starter personally). Chances are, I'll be picking the fire cat, unless its evolution is a lion or there's a better starter.
They haven't really had a traditional Tiger Pokemon yet. Closest we have is Luxray and Raikou.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Arcanine?
Arcanine is based on a Shisa, Komainu, or any like creature (there's a batch of them throughout Asian countries, specifically Japan, China, and Korea). They're all essentially the same thing, guardian beasts which are described as a hybrid between dog and lion. Some are even able to breathe fire like the Haetae. The stripes were probably inspired from tigers, but that's a small design feature compare to Arcanine's more canine features (even the lion part is downplayed with it just being more furry).

jugol on reddit pointed something out that strongly indicates that Solgaleon, Lunaala, and Marshadow are a trio:
The three god siblings of Shinto mitology:

• Tsukuyomi: God of Moon (luna in Latin and Spanish)
  • Amaterasu: Goddess of Sun (sol in Spanish, solis in Latin)
  • Susanoo: God of Sea (mar in Spanish, mare in Latin) and Storms.
So there we go... I now believe the names are legit. :P

That sounds stupid. It's probably a warthog.
Didn't I tell you to stop making up animals?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)