Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
motor skills relates to logic though.
I cannot continue to argue with you about something which you are seemingly unable to see. I'd like to discuss other stuff about the trailer, and fighting with you about something which makes no sense to argue over is pointless.
Then we will just agree to disagree :P. And for other subjects...how about how Magearna's Soul Heart suggests that it absorbs souls? I personally found that the most interesting out of the recent info.

Darn, I had my counter arguement all set to go.
Giving the AI free turns while you struggle to figure out what the type of an unknown pokemon is fake difficulty, plain and simple. It doesn't challenge the player's mind and it isn't fun just frustrating. It also adds nothing to the replaybility of a game since once you memorize pokemon types congratulations all the difficulty is gone.

And don't tell me you can "think" your way through guessing a pokemon's type at first glance. Raise your hands, how many actually guessed Solgaleo's type before we were told? Now put those hands down because you are all liar liar you thought it would be fire. Some pokemon have no type indicators at all, so you really just guess and check, giving free turns to the AI so they can hit you while you pray to the elemental roulette. Gamefreak knows this, which is why the trainer AI is so dumb: to waste the free turns created when you are figuring out a monster's type and weaknesses. If they gave players a hand in overcoming this hurdle, then they can add actual strategy to the trainer A.I.

Sure the guess and check method wasn't so bad 3 or 4 generations ago, especially when we were just dealing with 150 monsters. But now we've got 700+ and each new generation causes a fence crawling higher and higher for newbies to jump over. We had to compromise and frankly, nothing of value has been lost.

So they decided to add the Persona/SMT style weakness recording. Nobody ever calls those games easy despite it. Nobody calls those games easy PERIOD.

Bottom line: the new HUD is good for both the casual and the hardcore

Soul heart sounds more like reacting to suffering than soul absorbtion, but I wouldn't put it past them.

It would add the Laputa: Castle in the Sky reference Magearna has (the ancient war machine that hands out flowers), and it's not like all fairies are the Tinkerbelle type. Dullahan is a fairy, and he's the headless horseman.

wishful thinking is banned by the mods

Yeah, Soul Heart is pretty dark for a happy fairy type
Fairies are no joke, original fairies would rape men or gorge the eyes out of travelers for fun. Several only feed from bones of children or straight up targeted pregnant women...

Don't go Disney on the real fairies XD.

Then we got the japanese man eater ones like Mawile.

Darn, I had my counter arguement all set to go.
Giving the AI free turns while you struggle to figure out what the type of an unknown pokemon is fake difficulty, plain and simple. It doesn't challenge the player's mind and it isn't fun just frustrating. It also adds nothing to the replaybility of a game since once you memorize pokemon types congratulations all the difficulty is gone.

And don't tell me you can "think" your way through guessing a pokemon's type at first glance. Raise your hands, how many actually guessed Solgaleo's type before we were told? Now put those hands down because you are all liar liar you thought it would be fire. Some pokemon have no type indicators at all, so you really just guess and check, giving free turns to the AI so they can hit you while you pray to the elemental roulette. Gamefreak knows this, which is why the trainer AI is so dumb: to waste the free turns created when you are figuring out a monster's type and weaknesses. If they gave players a hand in overcoming this hurdle, then they can add actual strategy to the trainer A.I.

Sure the guess and check method wasn't so bad 3 or 4 generations ago, especially when we were just dealing with 150 monsters. But now we've got 700+ and each new generation causes a fence crawling higher and higher for newbies to jump over. We had to compromise and frankly, nothing of value has been lost.

So they decided to add the Persona/SMT style weakness recording. Nobody ever calls those games easy despite it. Nobody calls those games easy PERIOD.

Bottom line: the new HUD is good for both the casual and the hardcore

Soul heart sounds more like reacting to suffering than soul absorbtion, but I wouldn't put it past them.

It would add the Laputa: Castle in the Sky reference Magearna has (the ancient war machine that hands out flowers), and it's not like all fairies are the Tinkerbelle type. Dullahan is a fairy, and he's the headless horseman.
Hey, if you actually want to continue the debate, feel free to pm me the post. It is clear that it is getting on some people's nerves and with the amount of game design talk that has been going on it is getting a little off topic. If you don't then, I am fine with settling with a agree to disagree with you as well ^^. And yes, the reacting to suffering did come across my mind, however, it is for every mon, it is a little off to be for other creatures you don't know. Even if it has a gentle enough heart to care for these randoms, I would think that just the suffering of getting hurt would be enough, no? I mean it is not impossible. But god dam am I a sucker for dark pokemon, double so for dark fairy types. Why I like Mawile so dam much.

Magearna in itself is a really interesting Pokemon to me since it seems to have some relation to the Ultimate weapon in X/Y, which Soul Heart and Fleur Cannon really drive it home since SH powers up Magearna from ANY Pokemon fainting and FC has the visual appearance of a flower cannon that the Ultimate weapon's look was based around (well kinda anyway). The Ultimate Weapon is one of the more darker elements introduced into the series since Pokemon's lives were used to power it up, and to see a physical living interpretation of that weapon is pretty disturbing if you really think about it.

At least the mad people who made Magearna made it look cutsie. Who could hate such a lovable looking weapon?

Is it strange that they are reusing some move animations? I would have thought that they would have changed the move animations.
They need to make the bigger moves more cinematic in my opinion because they're trying to make it more cinematic and seing a kingdom hearts looking character all the time just makes it look cringe.

It's a good concept thouh they need to make it more cinematic.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yungoos is going to Make Alola Great Again!

In all seriousness, a lot of great news coming from these releases. The first thing I'd like to note is that Route 1 Pokemon have been mostly decent for a while now. Staraptor, Stoutland, and Talonflame are all credible in-game Pokemon and do have some use competitively, especially in the generations they were introduced. Skill Link gives Pikipek instantly credible STAB once it learns Fury Attack, and it might learn Bullet Seed naturally as well, and maybe even Drill Run. Basically multi-hit bird is going to be in your party for a while.

I also think we've seen a lot more early game type diversity than before. I think the only Gen that even compares is Gen 2 when you could head north and capture a Geodude, and head into Sprout Tower at night to try and get your hands on a Gastly, so by the time you hit the first gym you could have Fire or Water + Normal, Grass, Bug, Flying, Poison, Rock, Ground, and Ghost. You could even pick up a Dunsparce if you were lucky.

One last note on the phases, there's a couple things that might be going on the the Phases for Solgaleo and Lunala. The most straightforward explanation is their signature moves are like Meloetta's Relic Song and change them into and out of their Phase forms. If I had to hazard a guess, given their secondary typing is Psychic it might drop that type and change it mid-battle to Steel/Fire and Ghost/Fairy respectively, which would be very, very epic and pretty powerful considering the relatively few downsides (I guess don't use Sunsteel Strike when you expect the opponent to EQ, Close Combat, or throw a random Scald?) I don't know what other effect the Phases might have, but it doesn't seem like it's just cosmetic, or that these are primals/megas.

No hate towards Kingdom Hearts, but the characters in this game just look really off. I don't know if it's their faces, but they look like they belong more in a Kingdom Hearts game than Pokemon. It's really different than how they did in XY and it just is really REALLY off-putting to me. They just do not look nearly as good and like they belong in this game as XY/Colloseum/PBR. XY models were absolutely perfect and were both really fitting and rather cool (for in-game and for battle), I'd want to see some sort of change imho but I doubt it. If we're seeing them for 99% of the game and you have opinions like I do it does kind of kill the mood.

Last edited:
Coming Soon: Pokemon: Kingdom Hearts Version. Comes w/ Lilo and Stitch DLC. I'd buy that.

They look perfectly fine to me. I'll admit that the chibi style they had for X/Y/ORAS was adorable, but the models were static as all hell. I'm happy that they're improving the models a lot more and actually giving them more movement (from what we've seen so far anyway.)

*There's something off about the walking animation. I think it's the arm movement? It doesn't look natural and feels sort of robotic.

*Glad to finally have clothing customization confirmed since I'm not really feeling the main protagonists. I have the same sort of feelings I have toward them as I did with Lucas. They're just kind of meh.

*I'm not really feeling Battle Royals. Just like triple and rotation battles, I only plan to play the required battles in-game. So I hope they keep that to a minimum.

Seems we may have more Sun and Moon stuff coming soon. From serebii:

"It has been confirmed that Pokémon will have a booth at the World Hobby Fair '16 Summer on June 25th & June 26th. At this event, there will be five things.
First, Abarerukun and Rinka from Pokénchi will be there and take the main stage. There will be a quiz rally and an exclusive sneak-peak at the movie, Volcanion & The Ingenious Magearna. Finally, Pokémon Sun & Moon will be there and game producer & series director, Junichi Masuda will be on stage with a playthrough of part of the game. We'll bring more on that as it comes"

It's really cool that they've decided to integrate the Battle Royal feature. Not because it's something that I intend to use, but that the 'free for all' idea that Battle Royal is based on was popularized by youtuber duncankneedeep, and received great reception from the fans, as well as being popularized by shofu, making it a commonly known and commonly wished for feature among a whole host of players. I just think it's interesting that fan's opinions and ideas like this are seen and noticed by Gamefreak, and that they are willing to consider them for actual use. That's quite cool of them.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I really really dislike yungoos' mouth. It looks like it's just painted on and not something that should be able to open. It's too flat with the rest of its face.

Why did noone say the next before? Battle Royal now with moar Wailord!! Got to see how smoth will the game run with that.
I believe the stream also said that pokemon will now be properly proportioned or something? It would make sense, given that your trainer is right there. Can't wait for the wailord vs joltik battles.

Core Enforcer might work similarly to how Ice Burn and Freeze Shock worked and how they replaced Glaciate when you changed Kyurem to its respective forms. I don't know how they'd do it since 10% has used both Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves, but it'd be a more logical way to handle it.
It's worth nothing that Core Enforcer is most likely dragon type (it was SE on garchomp) while all of zygarde's other moves are ground type. At least with the kyurem formes, everything stayed ice type.

Stupid theory: they said each island is watched over by a "god" (which is practically just a legendary Pokemon by all means). They also said that that middle island there is a manmade island (ok, fair enough). What if that island has a "god" watching over it and its Magearna?
How things stand now it makes more sense than you think it does. There's always a trio of legendaries right? and there 4 are islands and 1 artificial island right? For the moment we have the next legendary trio(Lunala, Solgaleo and (¿?) or any other trio) then Zygarde Complete and Magearna.

We got one for each island.

Edit: I remind it would not be the first time a legendary is in 2 legendary groups Arceus is the trio master of 2 trios of pokemon, Creation and Lake guardians Master. Also a Master can be in a trio like Rayquaza.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So... I've been thinking a little about the gameplay we saw featured in the E3 stream yesterday. And I found something odd about it.

The gameplay apparently starts after the initial battle with Hau. The player is in his room, with a level 6 starter. The player then leaves his house, and walks up Route 1, through two unskippable patches of tall grass, and past two skippable ones. Two trainers are battled on the way. Then he enters the village for the second battle with Hau. To me, this raises a question: If the starter is received in the village, how can the player be in his house, without having passed through Route 1? Every Pokémon game starts with the player in his/her house (apart from RSE and ORAS, where you start right outside it instead). You then receive your starter Pokémon before you can get to any tall grass. But evidently, there is grass between the player's house and the village where the starter is received.

OK, so it could be that the game starts by you being "teleported" to the village as soon as you leave the house. But how, then, did the player get back to the house without passing Route 1? There appears to be a mandatory trainer battle just south of the village, which should have been over with if you're free to leave the village after receiving the starter. Looking at the map, it's possible that Route 1 splits, giving you one path with unskippable grass and one without. This can be seen even better in the starter reveal trailer. Still, the trainer is positioned so that he clearly is standing between the village and the fork in the road. He should have been battled as you leave the village with your starter, before you reach the "safe" path back to the house.

There seems to be three ways to solve this dilemma, and how the early-game plays out:

1. You travel up the safe road to the village, receive the starter Pokémon, and take the safe road back as well. The trainer won't battle you without a Pokémon, and he either overlooks you on your way back too, or you can sneak past him. You then have to climb the hill again, visiting the village twice before you can go anywhere else.

2. You are "teleported" both up and down the hill. Gameplay starts, you go outside, you are dragged to the village, receive your starter, and are dragged back to the house before you can go explore.

3. The starters aren't received in the village after all, but rather at the professor's beach house. This would leave Route 1 "virgin" until the time when you have to climb the hill to partake in the festival.

I listed them in order of declining likelihood. It may be that you're intended to explore Route 1 as you go down from the village after receiving the starter, but that it's possible to leave it "untouched" until you have to go back up for the festival. It'll be interesting to see whether you actually have to go the grassy path at all.

Also, since the festival is to honour the guardian Pokémon of the island, I guess it has bearing on the plot immediately afterwards. You win the battle, and get to enter the woods to visit the guardian Pokémon. You arrive to get a glimpse of it, but can't encounter it yet. Maybe even the evil team steals it/scares it away, which kick-starts the plot. This either happens immediately, introducing the legendaries very early in the story, or you have to walk around the entire island and see the guardian just before you return to the village.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
still not sure whether guardian pokemon or just actual metaphysical deity, its possible considering how much real world stuff game freak has integrated already (and its what i want ;o;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)