DP Research Thread #5 (Newest yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
To address something from the above post:
as it appears that Imprison fails in a Double Battle.
Imprison fails if no enemy knows one of the user's moves; it works fine in a double battle.

Thanks to macle (and Diana earlier), we have the full order of vetoing effects now. I repeat it here for posterity:

Freeze / Sleep
Truant
Disable
Imprison
Heal Block
Confuse
Flinch
Taunt
Gravity
Attract
Paralysis

If a pokemon has two or more of the effects in this list then the effect that prevents the move from being used is the effect highest in the list; later effects do not activate at all. For example, if a Confused pokemon is about to use a Disabled move then Disable prevents the move from being used without the pokemon having a chance to attack itself in confusion.

What happens if a flying type Arceus roosts?
Does it become typeless?

Edit: My bad it doesn't learn it but if anyone can hack it into him and see what happens it would be great

What happens if a flying type Arceus roosts?
Does it become typeless?

Edit: My bad it doesn't learn it but if anyone can hack it into him and see what happens it would be great
I once did a test with Skill Swapping Color Change to a Pokemon (forgot which) to become a pure flying type, and I roosted and tested attacks on it multiple times, and all attacks are neutral against it.

I don't know if this is the right place but here goes.

I was just battling on wifi(platinum) and I found that if a switching pokemon gets knocked out by the move pursuit you are forced to send in the pokemon you chose during the switch.

On shoddy this is different. If your (switching) pokemon gets killed by pursuit you get to choose any member of your team to send in. This would be a perfect opportunity for something like Lucario or Infernape to "set up" knowing that the opponent is locked into a NVE move. However, this contradicts the game.

Example:

Wifi.
Latias swithces out(I've chosen Magnezone)
Scizor used Pursuit
Latias fainted
Magnezone is sent in

Shoddy
Latias swithces out(I've chosen Magnezone)
Scizor used Pursuit
Latias fainted
You can choose some other pokemon to send in(Lucario for example)

Apparently if you Skill Swap Frisk onto something, that target of Skill Swap actually finds the item of the Frisker. This happened to me in Battle Tower, but it isn't noted on the site (it implies it's for switching in only). If anyone could confirm this also works for link battles...

A highly situational trick I discovered today:

In the route by palpark, there's a berry soil patch with grass in front of it. Say, in the event that you find yourself stuck against the berry soil and some unwanted pokéradar patches (long shot I know), you can plant a berry, water it, and sidestep while watering in order to avoid any unwanted pokéradar patches. You can stop watering a berry and turn in any direction to encounter the pokémon. Similar effect to if the repel runs out on the exact step you enter a pokéradar patch.

In short: sidestepping while watering a berry allows you to walk through a pokéradar patch without encountering anything.

Something I just discovered (and lost in the Battle Factory because of it) : Sucker Punch will hit someone recharging from Hyper Beam and the like.

HSA

INTellectual gamer
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
I wonder how double team would affect the move accuracy boosts from gravity.

In gravity 60% is 100% so would 100% still be perfect after a DT?

I have a strange discovery:

A pokemon that on an rampage (Outrage, etc), can still become confused when frozen.

Turn one:
Garchomp used Outrage!
Cresselia used Ice Beam!
Its super effective!
Garchomp was frozen solid!

Turn two
Garchomp is frozen solid!
Cresselia used Ice Beam!
Its super effective!
Garchomp became confused due to fatigue!

Something else I found while in the battle tower:

OHKO moves are still treated like they have an offensive type: when my sashed Scizor got hit by sheer cold, the game gave a not very effective message instead of "It's a one-hit KO!". I guess that was half-known anyway with how horn drill and fissure can't hit the types immune to them, but I don't recall anyone else posting of this through any of the research threads (having read them all naturally) so yeah. Was news to me when it happened, anyway.

Something else I found while in the battle tower:

OHKO moves are still treated like they have an offensive type: when my sashed Scizor got hit by sheer cold, the game gave a not very effective message instead of "It's a one-hit KO!". I guess that was half-known anyway with how horn drill and fissure can't hit the types immune to them, but I don't recall anyone else posting of this through any of the research threads (having read them all naturally) so yeah. Was news to me when it happened, anyway.
This is already known; Fissure can't hit Flying/Levitators, Horn Drill/Guillotine can't hit Ghost types, and Sheer Cold appears as SE/NVE as if it was an Ice move. This is also the reason why OHKO moves don't hit Shedinja, as they're not 'super effective'.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure about the Psycho Shift Rest thing, but I think the likelihood is that it will just proc a separate sleep onto the target. However, it would be interesting to see how it actually does work.

Anyway, the way Early Bird (and Sleep) works can determine how it functions with Psycho Shift. Basically, when Sleep is inflicted, it has a hidden counter from 1 to 4 tied to it. Every turn, it checks if the counter is at zero, and if not, de-increments it (reduces it by 1). The way Early Bird works is that it runs this check twice and de-increments the counter twice, thus effectively cutting sleep time in half and potentially causing something to sleep for 0 turns. Since it only runs this check if the mon with sleep on it has Early Bird, and the ability is not tied to the sleep effect, passing sleep from an Early Bird Pokemon to a non-Early Bird Pokemon means that the one without Early Bird will sleep the normal time instead of half.

As for the last one, it depends on how Rest is handled (I know that it simply inflicts Sleep on the user with a predetermined counter on it, but I don't know if Psycho Shift passes the counter or just wakes up the sleeping mon and inflicts a new sleep on the opponent), but since Early Bird does not affect the initial counter, it definitely would not cause the sleep time to be halved twice.

Well, I just discovered something interesting and of no real significance whatsoever.

So I'm using a Togekiss I got off Wi-Fi in a double battle to let Smeargle Sketch a Yawn; fighting the double Jubilife reporters (Gardevoir & Magnezone.) Yawn puts Magnezone to sleep from Togekiss, and then I proceed to just use Metronome for the hell of it - Metronome selected SmellingSalt and targeted Magnezone. Magnezone was NOT cured of sleep, which is supposed to be an effect of the move. (Gardevoir was KO'd by this point, so Magnezone was the only target for Smellingsalt.)

Tricking a Lum Berry onto a statused target cures that status immediately. Shoddy doesn't do this. This can be useful, BTW. eg, tricking a lum berry onto a toxic orb breloom or swellow would instantly lower the potency of that pokemon.

Is there a Platinum glitch where when you send out a something with Intimidate through using U-turn, Intimidate doesn't activate? Because I just had a battle where I used U-turn with my Scizor and sent in a Salamence and Intimidate didn't activate. O.o

Oh, this was in a Wifi battle, not Shoddy.

What exactly did you send Salamence out against? If it was something with Clear Body / Hyper Cutter then Intimidate shouldn't activate, though I think you get a message saying "clear body supressed the f*ck out of that stat-lowering sh*t" or something along those lines.

What exactly did you send Salamence out against? If it was something with Clear Body / Hyper Cutter then Intimidate shouldn't activate, though I think you get a message saying "clear body supressed the f*ck out of that stat-lowering sh*t" or something along those lines.
It was against a Kingdra. It used Substitute and I broke the Sub with U-turn, and went into Salamence and Intimidate did not activate.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Is there a Platinum glitch where when you send out a something with Intimidate through using U-turn, Intimidate doesn't activate? Because I just had a battle where I used U-turn with my Scizor and sent in a Salamence and Intimidate didn't activate. O.o

Oh, this was in a Wifi battle, not Shoddy.
The mechanic here is that a Substitute keeps protecting you against statuses and stat changes until the end of the move execution that broke it; it doesn't stop protecting you against these things as soon it breaks. So, if you break a Substitute with U-turn, and then send in an Intimidate pokemon, the enemy is still protected from Intimidate by his Substitute, since U-turn hasn't finished being used yet.

Another example is Twineedle. If the first hit breaks a Substitute, the second hit will still never poison, even though the Substitute has faded.

These mechanics are correctly implemented in Shoddy Battle 2 (but not Shoddy Battle 1).

The mechanic here is that a Substitute keeps protecting you against statuses and stat changes until the end of the move execution that broke it; it doesn't stop protecting you against these things as soon it breaks. So, if you break a Substitute with U-turn, and then send in an Intimidate pokemon, the enemy is still protected from Intimidate by his Substitute, since U-turn hasn't finished being used yet.

Another example is Twineedle. If the first hit breaks a Substitute, the second hit will still never poison, even though the Substitute has faded.

These mechanics are correctly implemented in Shoddy Battle 2 (but not Shoddy Battle 1).
Oh ok, thanks Colin.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...

Regarding the Emerald RNG.

The game is still seeded as soon as you reset, correct? So... for a certain spread, I'd still have to hit continue at a certain point?

But I don't quite understand the frames that you have listed on the legendaries afterwards. These are delays caused by animations? How exactly do they impact the target time?

Is it possible for me to find a time when an all 31 spread would be generated, and use a Sychronizer to get the right nature instead of waiting half an hour? Or is the Nature generated right alongside the target time the spread is generated and cannot be changed?

Furthermore, I think this next question I'm about to ask may have been moved to a research thread before, but I left Smogon for some time so I don't know if it purged or not and I didn't get to read any answer, unfortunately.

For D/P/Pt I can use the RNG calculator to generate a spread and Nature I want to get, correct? But I'm inputting the IVs and Nature, and well... I'm not getting anything generated. Not the spread I'm looking for, anyway. Maybe I'm using it wrong? I need some clarification.

In the Excel Document, with the list of spreads, how do I find out the frame? Because I found the spread I wanted to use, but no frame to go along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)