DP Research Thread #5 (Newest yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I can confirm this happened in a battle I had against a Breloom as well. Scizor U-Turned out, broke the sub, Salamence came in, no Intimidate activation.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this has been explored yet, but what exactly happens if a Ground immune pokemon uses Dig, with the opponent using Earthquake?

For example, if my Ninjask is using Dig, but the opponent decides to use Earthquake, what happens? Is Ninjask hit with Earthquake mid-dig, or does it keep the immunity for him while he's using Dig?

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this has been explored yet, but what exactly happens if a Ground immune pokemon uses Dig, with the opponent using Earthquake?

For example, if my Ninjask is using Dig, but the opponent decides to use Earthquake, what happens? Is Ninjask hit with Earthquake mid-dig, or does it keep the immunity for him while he's using Dig?
It keeps the immunity. That is why I hate DP Tower Flygon. Although it could make an interesting Toxi-staller.....

Flygon used dig!
Dugtrio used EQ!
Levitate makes ground attacks miss!
It's attack missed.

Just posting this that my friend IMed me this morning

Friend said:
It's nothing big, but I used leech seed while battling gliscor in the elite four. I switched out to Giratina and used shadow force. When Giratina vanishes, he gains Hp from leech seed, but Gliscor doesn't lose anything
Not sure how that works with fly, dig, bounce, or Dive yet, but will look into those.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just tested that with fly, dig, and having giratina use shadow force and each time the opponent lost hp.

Maybe your friend was mistaken?

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was testing sucker punch behaviour in doubles because something confused me in a few tower double battles but whatever (I thought you could "activate" sucker punch, even if it was just the partner of your target, who uses a damaging move)...well, your sucker punch target has to use a damaging move, it doesn´t matter what your target´s target is (even if he attacks his partner)

yeah and don´t laugh at this (if this was known for ages) because I don´t play wireless linked / wi-fi battles but I accidentally found out that pushing start during a battle changes your HP bar(s) into the actual HP stat(s) (like 234/337 HP) and you can switch back and forth between them...I think the actual HP stat is more convienent for knowing the accurate damage you took (helfpul in the VGC for example)

yeah and don´t laugh at this (if this was known for ages) because I don´t play wireless linked / wi-fi battles but I accidentally found out that pushing start during a battle changes your HP bar(s) into the actual HP stat(s) (like 234/337 HP) and you can switch back and forth between them...I think the actual HP stat is more convienent for knowing the accurate damage you took (helfpul in the VGC for example)
Woah! I didn't know that either. That's more helpful for gauging actual damage. Nice discovery.

For what it's worth, this started in R/S, the same time double battles were introduced. Works in-game as well.

I'm not sure if this has been covered already.
But if a cacturne /w sand veil is up against anything /w mold breaker, in a sandstorm. Does cacturne lose his sandstorm immunity??

i just noticed something interesting while playing in the battle factory in Emerald:

i had a gloom out against a sableye. saybleye used confuse ray while i was using petal dance. i attacked successfully, and then when petal dance ends...i get a message saying that gloom is confused due to fatigue, despite already being confused.

does anybody know if something similar happens with moves like thrash and outrage, and if this carries on to 4th gen?

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Hello everybody. I realised that there's one part of pokemon mechanics that doesn't seem to have been explored very thoroughly, and that's the precedence of the various effects that can veto the execution of the move.

Her
e is what I believe is an exhaustive list of the effects in question: Disable (only when you were Disabled earlier in the same turn), Taunt (only when you were Taunted earlier in the same turn), Imprison (only when Imprison went into effect earlier in the same turn), Heal Block (only when Heal Block went into effect earlier in the same turn), Gravity (only when Gravity went into effect earlier in the same turn), Truant, Paralysis, Freeze, Confuse, Attract, Sleep, Finch, losing focus for Focus Punch.

The goal is to come up with a strict weak ordering of these effects, as they attempt to veto your move's execution. Note that this will not be a total ordering because some of the effects are mutually exclusive, and also because it will not be possible to get a value for some pairwise comparisons. Also note that Torment and Encore are not effects that veto move executions, and have been intentionally left off this list.

To carry out a test, first start by picking an effect in the list whose placement we know, and an unknown effect. Then post which one vetoes the move, for example "Truant before Confuse". Also post the vetoing message for later reference. If it's impossible to distinguish, post that it is impossible to distinguish.

Incomplete ordering of vetoing effects:

Freeze / Sleep
Truant
Disable
Imprison
Heal Block
Confuse
Flinch
Taunt
Gravity
Attract
Paralysis

Let's see if we can fill in the rest of it. Note that you should test only on the DS game. Also note that you will have to use doubles to find out the ordering between stuff like Taunt and Disable.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yay, an actual chance for me to research something.

Anyway, I'm working on Truant first, I found only two things so far but I'll update as I go.

Truant and Confuse: Truant goes first. "Slaking is loafing around!"
Truant and Sleep: Sleep goes first. "Slaking is fast asleep."
Truant and Paralysis: Truant goes first. "Slaking is loafing around!" (I can't be 100% sure on this one, but the chances of not being fully paralyzed with the number of turns on truant is about 8%)

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Your tests confirm Truant's position which I gave above, so there's really no need to do any further tests involving Truant. I'd focus on the stuff below Confusion. (You may not have noticed the incomplete list I gave in the above post.)

Diana

Your tests confirm Truant's position which I gave above, so there's really no need to do any further tests involving Truant. I'd focus on the stuff below Confusion. (You may not have noticed the incomplete list I gave in the above post.)
lol I just read it wrong really.. I'll head onto those things.

Edit: I'll try fitting Gravity in with what we have now.

Very high chance for Gravity before Paralysis, but like I said, it's extremely hard to tell for sure because if something comes before Paralysis, it'll just act like full paralysis never happened.

Flinch before Gravity. Gravity goes between Paralysis and Flinch on the list.

Might do more later, sadly I really don't have many Pokemon available that I can test with, so it'll be a while to train some up for this.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Thanks for that result. What is the message when Gravity prevents the execution of a move by the way? I am pretty sure it is just something generic (and wrong) in Shoddy Battle 1.

Diana

Thanks for that result. What is the message when Gravity prevents the execution of a move by the way? I am pretty sure it is just something generic (and wrong) in Shoddy Battle 1.
Togetic can't use Fly because of Gravity!

Okay, confirmed the message, slightly different than I thought.

Also, Gravity before Attract, which surprised me a bit.

Attract is before Paralysis, however, so Attract is between Gravity and Paralysis.

Attract's message: Togetic is in love with the foe's GOLBAT! Togetic is immobilized by love!

Going for Taunt now. message: Togetic can't use Yawn after the Taunt!

Taunt goes before Attract.

Okay, Flinch before Taunt.

And Taunt goes before Gravity, so we have Taunt between Flinch and Gravity.

I think that's enough for now, might do some more later though.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Look at the "Incomplete ordering of vetoing effects:" above. Paralysis and Confusion are already placed. If you want to help, pick one of the effects whose placement we don't know, not one we already know.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I received the following PM by codemonkey85:

codemonkey85 said:
Hello,

I figured you would want to know this. I have finally figured out how the Pokémon DS games figure out which Characteristic to display in the Trainer Memo in the case of a tie for highest IVs.

Take the PID Mod 6, and that gives you the index number of a stat in this order: HP, Attack, Defense, Speed, Special Attack, Special Defense. In the event of a tie in IVs, the first IV checked is the result of the PID Mod 6. If that IV is not part of the tie, it moves on to the next index number in the aforementioned order. If it goes past 5 (Special Defense), it wraps around back to 0 (HP). When it finds an IV that is part of the tie, that is the IV that will determine the Characteristic displayed.

Not bad, eh?
I would like people to test a few instances of this to see if this is correct.

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
I received the following PM by codemonkey85:

I would like people to test a few instances of this to see if this is correct.
Let's use some of my mostly-flawless RNG-abused legendary IDs as a test.

Bold 31/17/31/31/31/31, Often dozes off.
PID = 2937960630, PID Mod 6 = 0 (HP)
HP = 31 -> Often dozes off!

Bold 31/14/31/30/31/31, Alert to sounds.
PID = 2398835805, PID Mod 6 = 3 (Speed)
Speed = 31 -> Alert to sounds!

Naive 30/31/31/31/31/31, Likes to thrash about.
PID = 1734887689, PID Mod 6 = 1 (Att)
Attack = 31 -> Likes to thrash about!

Impish 31/31/31/25/31/31, Capable of taking hits.
PID = 2001022658, PID Mod 6 = 2 (Def)
Defense = 31 -> Capable of taking hits!

Naive 31/30/30/31/31/31, Alert to sounds.
PID = 42463789, PID Mod 6 = 1 (Att)
Attack != 31 -> Defense
Defense != 31 -> Speed
Speed = 31 -> Alert to sounds!

This looks pretty good to me. This has vexed me for quite some time. Good work codemonkey85!

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Note that you can sum up the digits of the PID and mod that by 6 and the answer would give a clue as to what the original PID 'modded' by 6 is.

Suppose x is the number we need to find it 'mod 6', and suppose s is the sum of its digits. Then:

x mod 6 = s mod 6, if x and s are both even or both odd
x mod 6 = (s+3) mod 6, if x is even and s is odd or vice-versa.

This is best illustrated by a few examples:

Example 1: We need to find 2398835805 mod 6.
2+3+9+8+8+3+5+8+0+5 = 51. 5+1 = 6.

2398835805 is odd, 6 is even. Hence 2398835805 mod 6 = (6+3) mod 6 = 9 mod 6 = 3.

Example 2: We need to find 2001022658 mod 6.
2+0+0+1+0+2+2+6+5+8 = 26. 2+6 = 8.

2001022658 is even, 8 is even. Hence 2001022658 mod 6 = 8 mod 6 = 2.

Example 3: We need to find 1734887689 mod 6.
1+7+3+4+8+8+7+6+8+9 = 61. 6+1 = 7.

1734887689 is odd, 7 is odd. Hence 1734887689 mod 6 = 7 mod 6 = 1.

Example 4: We need to find 2937960630 mod 6.
2+9+3+7+9+6+0+6+3+0 = 45. 4+5 = 9.

2937960630 is even, 9 is odd. Hence 2937960630 mod 6 = (9+3) mod 6 = 12 mod 6 = 0.

You can confirm that these return the same answers as those of the post before this one.

Does anyone have any real idea of the items you can pick up in Amity Square while walking, and do the Amity Square items differ between Diamond and Pearl? I was walking in Amity Square with a Buneary in Pokémon Platinum and it picked up the following items (in alphabetical order);

Big Leaf
Big Leaf
Black Beard
Blue Feather
Blue Feather

Cornn Berry
Pink Scale
Rabuta Berry
Rabuta Berry
Snaggy Pebble
Snaggy Pebble
Snaggy Pebble
White Beard
White Beard

White Feather
White Feather
White Feather

The bolded items are not listed on either Bulbapedia or Serebii's Amity Square guides as being available to be picked up by Buneary. The frequency in which they appeared - although the sample size is not large enough to make any definite conclusions by any means - indicates that this happens more often than not.

Black Beard is supposed to be a Jigglypuff Very Rare item, or a Torchic/Drifloon Common item. Blue Feather is supposed to be a Jigglypuff Rare item. White Feather is supposed to be a Clefairy/Skitty Rare item. White Beard is supposed to be a Jigglypuff Rare item or a Clefairy/Skitty Rare item.

Oh, by the way: move testing! I'm online now, but I won't be for the rest for the week - I have a Gardevoir with Imprison/Double Team and a Raichu with TWave for testing the position of Imprison on the scale, as it appears that Imprison fails in a Double Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)