Smogon Superstars II Preliminaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Tripe, you're not making sense.

Head to Head works perfectly fine here because Goofball would have beaten anyone who could tie. The reason to do Tripe's point system is if Head to head doesn't work. I think a visual will help Tripe better understand. If Goofball wins all 4 matches, the best record anyone else could have (save limitless) is 4-3. In this case, Goofball would have beaten all 3 potential tied people.

Goofball (4-3) v. Delta2777 (4-3)
Goofball (4-3) v. Ironbullet (4-3)
Goofball (4-3) v. KD24 (4-3)

So why wouldn't Goofball advance?

If it were a situation like:

A v. B
B v. C
A v. C

then the point system is alright. But in this case, it honestly makes zero sense.

Edit: I'm not going to post anymore on this subject. If a visual doesn't make things clear, I don't think anything will.
I understand the H2H scenario, and would use it, but I already put down the wins method as the way I'd break ties. I can't satisfy everyone now can I?

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah, you can just satisfy the contestants that don't deserve to advance.

Well, I'm using the method I was suggested to by Earthworm, and I'm sticking with it. This format is very complex, and may advance people that don't "deserve" it. Sometimes, one's fate in a tournament could rely on chance.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
This is debatable. If I were to lose to Goofball and Goofball wins his remaining matches (Don't count on it), then Goofball, IB and I would all be at 4-3. Who's to say that just because Goof had beaten the both of us he should be the one to advance, considering he had lost to people that we beat, and we all have the same win/loss ratio? You could make the argument that because I beat Limitless, who beat IB and Goof, I should advance. I'm not saying that Tripe's method is the way to go, I'm saying that no method is perfect.

/me biased

This is debatable. If I were to lose to Goofball and Goofball wins his remaining matches (Don't count on it), then Goofball, IB and I would all be at 4-3. Who's to say that just because Goof had beaten the both of us he should be the one to advance, considering he had lost to people that we beat, and we all have the same win/loss ratio? You could make the argument that because I beat Limitless, who beat IB and Goof, I should advance. I'm not saying that Tripe's method is the way to go, I'm saying that no method is perfect.

/biased
Exactly, what I've been trying to say, no method is perfect. Whiners will exist with all systems, but it seems the method that Ew suggested to me works for most scenarios, hence why I'm using it.

Yeah I agree with Delta2777, what this system tries to accomplish is to advance players who have beaten "tougher" opponents (e.g. Delta2777 won vs. Limitless, who has the most wins, so he gets a large amount of points for that). This may not be the perfect system, but then again there isn't a perfect one (that I know off).

Anyways, tripe, do you use this system as the first tie-breaker or do you go with 1 round of Round Robin first (and then the point system if the Round Robin ends in a tie?).

Yeah I agree with Delta2777, what this system tries to accomplish is to advance players who have beaten "tougher" opponents (e.g. Delta2777 won vs. Limitless, who has the most wins, so he gets a large amount of points for that). This may not be the perfect system, but then again there isn't a perfect one (that I know off).

Anyways, tripe, do you use this system as the first tie-breaker or do you go with 1 round of Round Robin first (and then the point system if the Round Robin ends in a tie?).
I let you people do round robin first, then we resort to points if there's no winner within 1-2 round robins. The only time I use the point system first is when there are 4+ people with the same record.

Well the converse is true too. Those of you that beat "tougher opponents" also lost to "weaker players". So you cant really pull the 'I beat better players than you did' card because the higher your score, the worse the opponents you lost to.

Also, why don't we just let Goofball put up 4 wins, and then we'll revisit the issue if it should arise.

Well the converse is true too. Those of you that beat "tougher opponents" also lost to "weaker players". So you cant really pull the 'I beat better players than you did' card because the higher your score, the worse the opponents you lost to.

Also, why don't we just let Goofball put up 4 wins, and then we'll revisit the issue if it should arise.
He's free to play the matches as he wishes.

Both Malfunction and I have things to do today, but we're getting closer to battling it seems. I VM'd Joel and he was on for a bit, but I guess he was afk because he logged off w/o responding. I've yet to see ViL online, but we're trying! =)

Both Malfunction and I have things to do today, but we're getting closer to battling it seems. I VM'd Joel and he was on for a bit, but I guess he was afk because he logged off w/o responding. I've yet to see ViL online, but we're trying! =)
Try contacting Vil through Aim and setting up something.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Have a 5 hour difference with Twash, and due to my work schedule, I get home everyday when it's already 11pm his time, same with Dark Lucario except I believe it's an 8 hour difference. And I just haven't seen TAY at all.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah sorry to all my opponents; I've been really busy. I'll be as active as I can in the coming weeks (i.e. idle on irc/forum whenever I'm on the computer). So if you see me even on the forums then PM ME FOR BATTLE!!!!!!!!!

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
got terrible outrage luck against sage abdul gg

well it wasn't terrible it was more like bad

kind of like leaving your shoes out in the rain

but it only drizzled

also phil just beat me in a pokemon battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)