B&W Research Thread

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What are the effects surrounding the ability Self-Conscious?

Serebii's ingenious definition:

"There are types you are self-counscious around of and raise your speed."

How are types determined (I'm guessing type-effectiveness chart) and how big of a speed boost are we talking? (+1?)
I would like to know this as well.

I tested Cursed Body out a bit more using a Mime Jr. with Substitute, Role Play, and Psybeam against Pururiru.

-Mime Jr. was behind a sub while attacking Pururiru. Mime Jr. activated Pururiru's Cursed Body ability and Mime Jr.'s Psybeam was disabled.
-Mime Jr. copied Pururiru's Cursed Body ability with Role Play, then used Substitute. None of Pururiru's attacks activated Mime Jr.'s Cursed Body while Mime Jr. was behind a sub. After Mime Jr.'s Substitute was broken, however, Pururiru's attacks were able to activate Mime Jr.'s Cursed Body. (Though not the attack that would break the Substitute.)

I wanted to point out one of the new boosting moves.

I used the move Body Purge with my Gear and I notice that its sharply raised and it lost weight! But I wonder how much weight does a pokemon loses when it uses this? If it's halved then perhaps this is the reason why Metagross gets the ability Light Metal, when it uses body purge, it's weight would be 1/4, cutting damage from low kick/grass knot significantly. Body Purge may be the perferred move over Rock Polish for mineral pokemon now so they can take less damage from Low Kick/Grass Knot when they're going to sweep.

EDIT: I should also point out, that when I used it the second time, it didn't say that it lost weight. So weight can not be reduced again upon repeated use of the move.

I can't put a picture up since I actually have the cart, but it says this exactly.

すばやさはぐーんとあがった。
みがるになった。

Speed sharply rose.
It became light(as in weight).

EDIT2: I see now that Metagross can't learn Body Purge, XD. So perhaps it was a waste of an ability.

What are the effects surrounding the ability Self-Conscious?

Serebii's ingenious definition:

"There are types you are self-counscious around of and raise your speed."

How are types determined (I'm guessing type-effectiveness chart) and how big of a speed boost are we talking? (+1?)
Tested it with Granbull.
After a while testing, nothing cool happened, until a wild Shikijika used Faint Attack, it did damage, then the ability message appears and raised Granbull`s speed 1 stage.

Facts:
- Dark type attacks activate the ability (Faint Attack, Bite, Pursuit).
- Special-Non Contact attacks also activate the ability (Night Burst).
- This ability doesn`t prevent the damage from the Dark type attacks.
- The ability is not activated if the pokemon with this ability is behind a Substitute.
- Beat Up can raise the speed to +6 in one turn; it goes like this [hit->damage->ability message appears->raise speed 1 stage->hit->damage->ability message appears->....].

It was weird to me that this ability is activated with Dark type attacks, then I though, maybe this ability use the Hidden Power value? But no, Granbull`s Hidden Power is Flying :/

Anyways, somebody else should test this ability too.

UPDATE: Tested now with Sudowoodo. This ability seems to be related to Psychic type weaknesses [common fears]: Dark, Ghost & Bug type attacks activate this ability.

Just to confirm - in a Rotation battle, the act of 'rotation' does take place before any move. I tested with Helping Hand, Feint, and Aqua Jet/Mach Punch; in all cases, the rotation occured first, followed by the move. Also, I believe that you don't take entry hazard damage when you rotate in a pokemon; however, if one of your three pokemon is knocked out, you send in another to replace it (well, you do in-game, at least) and in that case, you can take damage from entry hazards.
So, in effect, you can see a rotation battle as a triple battle in this regard; all of the pokemon who are 'rotating' are on the field, and don't take entry hazard damage from rotating; however, U-turning and so on is no different to a normal switch in that it incurs damage from entry hazards, as normal.

Edit: I just remembered that when I was testing Fire Burst, or whatever it's called, it did neutral damage to a fire type and a grass type (the overspill part of the effect, that is). I didn't test it on a flash fire user or another immunity, or on magic coat, however.
I'm *pretty* sure that it will cancel it out, but do we know if Lucky Chant is superseded by the auto-crit moves? By the way, I'm going to test the rotation battle with pursuit to see if that goes before a rotation, too.

Also, Mien - I'm impressed at your diligence, 60! is almost a Gogol =P
Using pursuit in a rotation battle has no effect; it doesn't 'catch' a pokemon that's rotating out. However, 'switching out' and not 'rotating' lets pursuit activate as normal. Additionally, Leftovers do not activate (and, I assume, neither do any other held items) when a pokemon is rotated out.
Hi Coram_Boy, I just wanted to point out that pretty much every one of these rotation battle tests have already been done and confirmed in the OP. I love your enthusiasm for research, so I just wanted to make sure that you check the OP first for what has already been tested before you go and test things yourself. If you check that out first in the future, you can make sure your efforts aren't wasted, and we can be more efficient with our test results in general! That being said, it never hurts to double check results, so thanks for re-confirming what we tested earlier :)

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
UPDATE: Tested now with Sudowoodo. This ability seems to be related to Psychic type weaknesses [common fears]: Dark, Ghost & Bug type attacks activate this ability.
I take it you tested every other type in the type chart as well?

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anyways. You have probably heard about when to ball you throw when you catch a Pokémon only moves one time and then the Pokémon is caught. Most people say it's about timing a certain button push. But that's not the case because it has happened to me three times with not even touching any buttons.

These are signs of it:
1. The throwing sound changes. You'll hear it.
2. When Pokémon as gone into the ball, the ball shakes in the air.
3. The ball lands (of course) and then it moves one time and it's a catch.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Anyways. You have probably heard about when to ball you throw when you catch a Pokémon only moves one time and then the Pokémon is caught. Most people say it's about timing a certain button push. But that's not the case because it has happened to me three times with not even touching any buttons.

These are signs of it:
2. When Pokémon as gone into the ball, the ball moves in the air like it do on the ground. Only one time though.
If you managed to do it without any button presses as you say, it's probably not something we can control, and not really worth taking time that could be spent investigating moves\abilities\etc. A cursory youtube search doesn't turn up anything, either. If it randomly occurs, I'm sure we'll see it in a video sooner or later.

Thanks, Philip - I must have missed some of them, and thought you hadn't tested those - but rereading it, you did (whoops). Actually, though, there was one thing:
'Confirmed Natural Cure does not activate upon rotating a Pokemon out. (How about Regenerate?)'
Regenerate doesn't activate when you rotate a Pokemon out, either.

And a (low priority) question, as well: The change in Pokeball mechanics. It's not just a rumor that the 'shake once then capture' thing exists; I've seen it myself, and I'm pretty sure there will be footage of it on youtube. I'm just interested to see if anyone has done any research into the mechanics to see how or why it happens.

Since you seem to be working with rotation battles can you work to see how choice locking works? I'd assume you're still locked when you rotate out much like status and stat changes remain.

tyvm ^.^

Yes, I believe that that is the case. It appears that rotating out is more like going into suspension and not switching out; everything resumes as if you hadn't rotated out as soon as you rotate back in (including your opponent being able to encore the last move you made, as has already been said). That said, I love the opportunities that it brings; it has the potential to be a really exciting metagame in my opinion.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Almost certainly, since Experience Gain is now dependent of the relation of the Levels of the Pokémon. It's probably still proportional, though.

I'll test this a bit once I finish the main game, but if someone wants to crack the Experience formula before then, it'd be useful.

I've also heard that a lot of Base Experience values were changed, as well.
Here's what I have so far.
It does split the total EXP earned in half, but what happens is Pokemon gain EXP relative to their level versus the opponent's level. A level 30 Pokemon and a level 20 Pokemon that both knock out a level 30 Pokemon are going to receive different amounts of EXP; the level 20 one will receive a significant amount more EXP than the level 30 one. However, the level 30 Pokemon doesn't receive any LESS EXP than it would have had its partner been level 30 as well, so it's more of a boost than a split.

I don't have the exact algorithm used to determine how much EXP is received as a bonus or deducted as a penalty, but I know it is now relative to level versus the opponent's level.
You could always play around and see what sort of output you come up with. Just take one Pokemon and have it battle against a wild Pokemon of the same level. (Use potions and stuff while testing, because you can't really switch...) Have that serve as your baseline EXP, then see what it is for other Pokemon at different levels.
I'll work on this when I get some free time

I ran into something interesting just a moment ago...an Scizor with Superpower...on RANDOM WI-FI!
I thought that thing was banned?

He means that random wi-fi supposedly doesn't allow pokemon with moves that they can't get in 5th gen. If that's the case, either it's a clever hacker, or an interesting consequence for the metagame (and I was hoping only the 5th gen stealth rockers would be able to be used, hmph).

Will Wi-Fi battling be the same in W/B(i Never got to do te fucking Wi-Fi in any of my games but I was just wondering sence platnum changed Wi-Fi as we know it):)

These are signs of it:
2. When Pokémon as gone into the ball, the ball shakes in the air.
This happened twice in my game: against a Wild Bibarel and the Urgamoth at Ancient Castle. Both times I didn't even touch the buttons. Also, both Pokemon were paralyzed with 1 HP left at the time. I initially thought this happened because the Pokemon's capture rate had surpassed 100%, but it took me 5 Ultra balls to catch a Swellow in the same conditions, and his capture rate is 3 times bigger than Urgamoth's.

Maybe it's random? I.e. you have a 1 in a 100 chance to perfectly catch a Pokemon, regardless of the conditions. Someone should test this with Kobaruon and Shedinja: Kobaruon can't hit Shedinja, while you just chuck ultra balls at him, hoping to get the perfect catch.
Tested it with Granbull.
After a while testing, nothing cool happened, until a wild Shikijika used Faint Attack, it did damage, then the ability message appears and raised Granbull`s speed 1 stage.

Facts:
- Dark type attacks activate the ability (Faint Attack, Bite, Pursuit).
- Special-Non Contact attacks also activate the ability (Night Burst).
- This ability doesn`t prevent the damage from the Dark type attacks.
- The ability is not activated if the pokemon with this ability is behind a Substitute.
- Beat Up can raise the speed to +6 in one turn; it goes like this [hit->damage->ability message appears->raise speed 1 stage->hit->damage->ability message appears->....].

It was weird to me that this ability is activated with Dark type attacks, then I though, maybe this ability use the Hidden Power value? But no, Granbull`s Hidden Power is Flying :/

Anyways, somebody else should test this ability too.

Is it safe to assume that Ghost types will not activate Granbull's ability thanks to his immunity?

Infernape with 307 Attack and Iron Fist using Thunderpunch against a Wobbuffet with 216 Def.

Without Iron Fist: 77 - 91 (from smogon's damage calc not tested by me)
With Iron Fist: 92-109 damage(both min and max damage confirmed after 60! times)

The boost from Iron Fist is 20% which is the same as in gen 4
If you get a chance could you check if Iron Fist affects any moves that it didn't in 4th gen (like Close Combat)?

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I can confirm, completely that Lower leveled pokémon gain greater EXP through the EXP share. By how much is what I'm trying to calculate

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
Ok, I can confirm, completely that Lower leveled pokémon gain greater EXP through the EXP share. By how much is what I'm trying to calculate
Post your numbers so we can see what's going on with your tests.

Start by having a L5 Pokemon defeat another L5 Pokemon, then have the same L5 Pokemon (if it hasn't leveled) defeat another L6 Pokemon.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Do the species of the higher level Pokémon battled have to be the same? And Do I battle it by the increasing order of 1 level?
Because its really tough finding Pokémon in such order. Or should I just battle Pokemon in 1 level but different species

Well, my lv. 79 Emboar holding a Lucky Egg would get about 1000 EXP points from a lv. 65 opponent, while my Monozu in the 40s holding EXP. Share would get about 3000.

I know those numbers aren't really accurate, but from my understanding, this happens:

- The Lucky Egg bonus tranfers to the EXP. Share Pokemon.
- The Pokemon with EXP. Share receives half of the experience that it (and not the Pokemon that is out) would receive. In other words, the level difference bonus of the holder is accounted for.
- In Double Battles, this still stands true. My Emboar and my Kirikizan shared about 1000 EXP points and Monozu still got its 3000 Exp points on average.

I'll test this further later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)