B&W Research Thread

I cloned a Drifblim and change the ability of one of them, Unburden Drifblim & Aftermath Drifblim used Explosion on Lady Caitlin`s Musharna. The did the same amount of damage.

Also, the wi-fi server was updated and now they ban the berrys you can`t obtain in-game, like Salac Berry or Custap Berry, probably until they are obtainable in the Dream World.

I have tested both Jump Kick and High Jump Kick against a max defensive lvl 100 Crobat(who used protect) and the results of a miss are the same:
Hitmonlee lost 50% of it's max HP

I suppose this confirms Meromero's theory.
Can you confirm if it's 50% of the user's Max HP or Current HP? For example, if a Blaziken used HJK at 50% health: would he die or stay with 25% health?

Has this been covered already?

I just tested eccentric Vs a Zoroark under an illusion and discovered something interesting. Both eccentric and transform fail against a disguised Zoroark To transform you first have to break the illusion first and even then your ditto will not be disguised.

I guess Illusion is activated before you send your Pokemon out. It does you no good to have it while you're already on the field.

I didn't see this in the OP and I know there was some confusion about this so I think someone should test it. Does Acrobat increases in power when the user has no held Item or when the opponent has no held Item? How much is it boosted by?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I didn't see this in the OP and I know there was some confusion about this so I think someone should test it. Does Acrobat increases in power when the user has no held Item or when the opponent has no held Item? How much is it boosted by?
When the user has no item, and it doubles the BP. That's what is said in the move description and was announced in the pre-release videos and such.

The opponent having no held item was just an early mistranslation, it's the user.

Edit:
On pokemon with the Simple ability and the Unaware ability such as Kokoromori, how are the psychic move Assist Power and the dark move Punishment calculated.

if a Kokoromori uses Calm Mind, it gains +1 in sp.atk and +1 in sp.def but with Simple they are treated as +2 boosts instead. so would Assist Power increase its power twice or 4 times?
I've been curious about this one too.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I decided to test Acrobat to confirm that it acted as expected.

Yanakkii Level 10
Atk 24

Emboar Level 58
Def 100

Both holding items 4 damage
Neither holding items 8 damage
Emboar holding an item 8 damage
Yanakkii holding an item 4 damage

The power of Acrobat increases if the user of Acrobat has no item.

Kojofuu Level 41
Atk 77

Ononokusu Level 54
Def 110

Kojofuu holding an item
Range: 12-15

Without item
Range: 24-29

28, 51(CH), 27, 26, 28, 24, 26, 24, 28, 25, 27, 28, 28, 26, 25, 26, 25, 28, 24, 26, 26, 26, 26, 24, 27, 27, 27, 29

Assuming that the B/W formula is the same as in D/P/Pt, this narrows the power range to 108-111 power. Which is pretty safe to say that it the power is 110, or double.

Alright, thanks. I figured it worked like that but I wanted to make sure since I made a thread on it.

Also, I don't think anyone's tested You First yet. Some things to test might be does it work on negative priority moves like Trick Room and Whirlwind? Does it lower the speed of moves that have higher priority? (For example, if Togekiss used Follow Me and Chillanchino targeted Togekiss with You First, would that force Togekiss to use Follow Me right after Chillanchino?) Does it work any differently with Miscievous Heart, if any Pokemon can even get both of them?

Edit: This would also be a good thing to test since it pertains to Acrobat:

Aekeosu looks like an amazing user of Acrobat, but is it confirmed that it has 110 BP on the turn you consume one of the elemental jewels? (e.g. Aekeosu uses Sky Jewel to attack with a double STAB Acrobat at full power which can then be used for the rest of the match at full power).

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can someone test whether or not a scarfed Ditto that comes in against another scarfed pokemon will always outspeed?

I ask because I had a wifi battle the other day where my scarf Hihidaruma still outsped a Ditto (both were leads, so it transformed into me) and was able to KO it. I would have asked my opponent if he was running a scarf or not, but he left the chat I was on and didn't come back.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Also, I don't think anyone's tested You First yet. Some things to test might be does it work on negative priority moves like Trick Room and Whirlwind? Does it lower the speed of moves that have higher priority? (For example, if Togekiss used Follow Me and Chillanchino targeted Togekiss with You First, would that force Togekiss to use Follow Me right after Chillanchino?) Does it work any differently with Miscievous Heart, if any Pokemon can even get both of them?
Just tested it. Used a Lv. 52 Clefairy and a Lv. 17 Wynaut. Battled against two Mamepatos in the wild. First turn, both used Quick Attack, and Clefairy tried to use You First on Wynaut, who was using Counter, but it failed. However, when Clefairy used You First before at least 1 enemy Pokemon made an attack successfully, it forced my Wynaut using Counter to go next (which obviously failed).

EDIT: Just tested it with a Musharna using Trick Room too. Mamepato 1 used Quick Attack, Clefairy used You First, Musharna used Trick Room, and Mamepato 2 used Growl.

Can someone test whether or not a scarfed Ditto that comes in against another scarfed pokemon will always outspeed?

I ask because I had a wifi battle the other day where my scarf Hihidaruma still outsped a Ditto (both were leads, so it transformed into me) and was able to KO it. I would have asked my opponent if he was running a scarf or not, but he left the chat I was on and didn't come back.
I just tested scarf ditto vs other scarf mons and it turns out it's a normal 50/50 chance to go first.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Well, I'm not sure if this has been confirmed yet or not, so I'll just throw it out there if it hasn't.

Over local Wireless, at least without messing with options, you STILL see your opponents team, just like with Wifi.

Well, I'm not sure if this has been confirmed yet or not, so I'll just throw it out there if it hasn't.

Over local Wireless, at least without messing with options, you STILL see your opponents team, just like with Wifi.
We know it. The only way not to see your opponent's team is through Infrared, which means original cartridges only.

Can anyone test something for me? Try using Odor Sleuth on a transformed Zoroark. Just because Odor Sleuth says: It breaks the opponent's illusion.

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If Kaphotics only did 10 eggs with an eccentric ditto, I wouldn't call that conclusive. Anyone who's bred pokemon with two abilities knows that going 10 eggs in a row with the same ability really isn't that uncommon. I'd imagine he's correct though because otherwise we'd get all DW abilities as soon as they release ditto. It still probably warrants retesting though.
Just edit the ability of an existing ditto to eccentric and change 42h (Hidden Hex) to 01 instead of 00. That's the value the Daruma mode Hihidarumas have, and applying this to an edited mother results in dreamworld offspring :). BW PKM hex structure is 99.99% identical to DPPtHGSS's.

Do that for a Ditto and you can try it out. [~0.50]^10=0.09765625% (~1/1000 chance I'm incorrect)

Since (at the time) there were no other specimens, there could be other variations of the hex (special to ditto?). I got pokerus naturally and it's actually stored differently in this generation, but the old pokerus hex convention from gen 4 stayed when carried over when shifted. Not completely ruling ditto out yet, but it doesn't look good otherwise with what is known.

The research is only as good as the specimens, tools and insight :D

Can anyone test something for me? Try using Odor Sleuth on a transformed Zoroark. Just because Odor Sleuth says: It breaks the opponent's illusion.
I lol'd, that would be funny if it did!

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Nope, no dice. I went into a double battle, using a lv. 7 Zorua and a lv. 10 Koromori. Used Odor Sleuth on Zorua, who was disguising itself as a Zekrom (heh), but the Illusion did not break.

I just tested scarf ditto vs other scarf mons and it turns out it's a normal 50/50 chance to go first.
Hmm, this seems contrary to what we had assumed thus far. Does Transform no longer "copy stats exactly" when considering choice items? Or is it just a feature of Eccentric that ignores enemy stat raises granted by Choice items?

In this case, can you test switching in on a pokemon with boosted speed with a choice scarf ditto to see what happens? Try using agility first turn and then switching in with a scarf ditto the second turn.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hmm, this seems contrary to what we had assumed thus far. Does Transform no longer "copy stats exactly" when considering choice items? Or is it just a feature of Eccentric that ignores enemy stat raises granted by Choice items?

In this case, can you test switching in on a pokemon with boosted speed with a choice scarf ditto to see what happens? Try using agility first turn and then switching in with a scarf ditto the second turn.
I think I have the solution. Ditto still copies stats, but it doesn't copy the opponents stats gained from an item boost.

Transform in gen 4:
Transforms into the target, copying its stats (except HP), moves (at 5 PP each), type, weight, and ability. The stats are copied exactly, without regard to EVs, IVs, and level. IVs of the target are copied for purposes of Hidden Power, as well. Transform copies the target's species, which means that DeapSeaScale, DeepSeaTooth, Light Ball, Metal Powder, Quick Powder, Soul Dew, and Thick Club activate only if the target is the correct species. Level is not copied, so a low level Pokemon does less damage than a high level Pokemon when using the same move (because the attacker's level is part of the damage formula).

Choice Band, Choice Scarf, and Choice Specs keep their boost upon Transforming. The Transforming Pokemon is allowed to select a new move.
Apparantly, Ditto actually copies the stat boosts of items in gen 4.(as seen in the bold)
If it did completely copy stats, then Ditto would outspeed the Hihidaruma, but It didn't meaning the transformation mechanics were tweaked.

So lets say I have Hihidaruma had 200 speed + Scarf (300 speed in total). Ditto would copy the 200 speed stat, but NOT the scarf boost. It needs to use it's OWN scarf to tie with Hihidaruma, and that's why I think Hihidaruma outsped him.

So I'm trying to go in and test what I considered to be weird mechanics in gen 4, to see if they were "fixed" in gen 5. Today Setsuna and I tested two things:

1. In the 4th gen, when you broke a Substitute with U-turn and went to a Pokemon with Intimidate, the Intimidate did not activate for some reason. Is this the same in the 5th gen?
  2. In the 4th gen, if you used a move that lasted multiple turns (for example, Outrage) against a Pokemon who had the ability Pressure, said move would lose 2 PP on the turn it was selected, and 1 PP every turn it successfully hit without being manually selected (for example, Outrage would lose 3-4 PP depending on how many times it hit). Is this the same in the 5th gen?
To test this, we used Flygon to break a Smeargle's Substitute and switch out to Intimidate Muurando. To test Pressure, we used a Pressure Weavile using Swords Dance against a Lv1 Outrage Bagon. The results?

1. When you break a Substitute with U-turn and switch in an Intimdate Pokemon, the Intimidate now successfully activates.
  2. Pressure now only takes away 2 PP every time a targeting move is manually selected. In other words, using a multi-turn move like Outrage against a Pokemon with Pressure will only consume 2 PP, regardless of how many times it hits before getting confused.
These are both new game mechanics. I will continue thinking of odd old mechanics to test like this :)

-----

Edit: Setsuna and I also just tested to see if Intimidate now works even if the Pokemon switching in dies to entry hazards. It does not. Not a new game mechanic, but perhaps worth noting for simulator programming's sake?

I don't think anyone saw my question, and I'm working to beat the game first.

Has it been confirmed that Guard Share/Power Share average the actual Stats, rather than Boosts? I was fighting wild Desukaan and after it used Guard/Power Trick, I seemed to be doing the same damage as I was before the moves. Defense would be understandable (my Pokémon's Defense is fairly close to that of an untrained level 34 Desukaan), but there's no explanation for Attack.

In a Triple Battle, if a Pokemon on one side uses Follow Me/Rage Powder will it still attract attacks from the Pokemon on the opposite side from it, even though they wouldn't normally be able to attack each other? If the answer is no, what happens when the Pokemon uses a move like Gust that can hit a Pokemon on the opposite side?

Edit: This also extremely low priority because you'd have to hack it but what happens if Shedinja uses Wish? Since Wish now heals half of the user's HP regardless of what Pokemon comes in, would it round down and heal 0 HP or does it always heal a minimum of 1? Would it fail altogether?

Edit2: Another "odd" mechanic to test would be to see if Knock Off takes away Focus Sash before it has a chance to activate. You could test this by using Knock Off against a Shedinja holding a Focus Sash and see whether it gets KOd or the Focus Sash still activates and Shedinja stays healthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)