B&W Research Thread

Well out of those 3 I'm not sure how Mirror type and Me first would work but I'd imagine that curse would remove the curse the move gives when its used by a ghost type.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Doesn't Mirror Type copy the opponent's typing? So, it would nullify it, either right after using the move, or at the end of the turn. I guess.

There are only two ways to find out, and those are to test it or wait until someone who actually has the game and patience to test it.

This list of moves affected by a mysterious flag may be the list of moves that Mental Herb affects.

I'm not sure how it would affect Me First, Mimic, Curse, Mirror Type, and a few others on that list, mainly because they affect the user more than the opponent.
Good find, unfortunatly it doesn't seem to be Mental Herb's flag.
I have tested Roar, Curse and Destiny Bond and all 3 didn't get affected by Mental Herb, even if both the user and the target are holding it.

I wonder what this mystery flag could be though.

May I request that how toxic spikes and magic guard work be tested? On PO (and apparently on gen IV wifi) if a magic guard pokemon switches into toxic spikes, they are not poisoned. Since magic guard is only supposed to block passive damage, this seems like an in-game glitch (as a result of blocking hazards as a whole) which might have been fixed in Gen V (although unlikely- I guess put this as low priority). As such I'd like to see this tested.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
On PO, balloon pokemon are hit by spikes and balloon poison pokemon absorb toxic spikes. So it probably is a simulator error.

Good find, unfortunatly it doesn't seem to be Mental Herb's flag.
I have tested Roar, Curse and Destiny Bond and all 3 didn't get affected by Mental Herb, even if both the user and the target are holding it.

I wonder what this mystery flag could be though.
Only a theory but could this flag simply mean "not affected by type immunity"? For Roar and (Ghost) Curse this makes sense. Unless that's already affected by another known flag (or not at all).

Only a theory but could this flag simply mean "not affected by type immunity"? For Roar and (Ghost) Curse this makes sense. Unless that's already affected by another known flag (or not at all).
Defog, Snatch, Taunt, and Torment don't have any immunities to them though.
Plus yawn, and I'm sure others as well, isn't on the list.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Plus yawn, and I'm sure others as well, isn't on the list.
They do if used by a Delcatty with Normalize. Though I still don't think this is a "no type immunity", since Hypnosis doesn't have the flag but still hits Dark-types. Good idea, though.

breh

強いだね
Is it maybe a list of moves that isnt blocked by subs.
Is sketch blocked by substitute? Also same goes for Grudge and Mimic. Also Omega's suggestion of curse

Other than that, this list looks extremely similar to moves not blocked by substitute.

Oh and also the Smogon description for Substitute (4th gen) says that Dream Eater is blocked by Sub. Is this true?

Is sketch blocked by substitute? Also same goes for Grudge and Mimic. Also Omega's suggestion of curse

Other than that, this list looks extremely similar to moves not blocked by substitute.

Oh and also the Smogon description for Substitute (4th gen) says that Dream Eater is blocked by Sub. Is this true?
I'm not sure about the others but sketch obviously isnt since smeargle can learn substitute.

breh

強いだね
I'm not sure about the others but sketch obviously isnt since smeargle can learn substitute.
Smeargle learns (learned?) substitute by making substitute fail (via taunt, imprison, etc.) or in such a manner:

Trainer 1 sent out (pokemon with substitute, A, for our purposes) and Smeargle!
Trainer 2 sent out (pokemon with attacks)

Trainer 1's A used substitute! Smeargle used some random move or an X-Item!
Trainer 2's pokemon attack and break the substitute!

Trainer 1's A uses an X-Item, healing item, etc! Smeargle uses Sketch! Smeargle Sketched Substitute!

I don't know if it's the same in gen 5 and thus I ask.

if you have a pokemon with perversity and use a move like fake tears on your opponent and then use psych up afterwards, do you now have plus 2 Sp. Def?

Does Harvest restore Berry Juice?

They do if used by a Delcatty with Normalize.
Just to confirm, even though the possibility has already been just about ruled out, Delcatty can't learn any of those moves. Theoretically Normalize could be Skill Swapped, Traced or Role Played, but that is a very unlikely situation.

What I mean is, what aspects of items does it negate? I know the general idea of the move xD
This, I think it's already common knowledge that Magic Room negates items in some shape or form. But does it negate boosting items like choice items and orbs or used items like leftovers or both? :/

if you have a pokemon with perversity and use a move like fake tears on your opponent and then use psych up afterwards, do you now have plus 2 Sp. Def?
I'd assume no. Perversity swaps the stat up/down as it happens. Psych up doesn't exactly raise or lower, it copies.

mattj and I tested the following this evening:

Balloon: is Balloon's effect nulled under the effects of Gravity?
Yes. The Balloon will remain until it gets hit, but it won't provide a ground immunity while Gravity is in effect.

Body Purge: Can its weight reduction be Baton Passed?
It can't.
In our test, we had Smeargle and max HP max defense Chople Steelix (400 kg) vs. Toxicroak. Smeargle used Body Purge and Baton Passed to Steelix, and Toxicroak used Low Kick on Steelix, doing 90 damage.
The normal damage range is 81-96 HP, and the damage range from halving weight would be 67-81 HP. The data entry says that 200 kg, half Steelix's weight, is hit for 100 base power instead of 120.

Analyze: What is the power boost?
It's almost certainly 1.3x.

In this test, we had a hacked min speed Analyze Magnezone use Thunderbolt vs. max HP Blissey. The normal damage range would be 132-156 HP without Analyze.

With Analyze, the damage was:
187, 174 (crit), 199, 183, 181, 190, 193, 195, 183 (crit), 199, 199, 187, 174
[or a range of 174-199]

At least we know for sure it's between 1.25x and 1.33x, because the highest damage from 1.25x would be 195 (too low), and the lowest damage from 1.33x would be 175 (too high).
With 1.3x, the damage range would be 171-202 HP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)