B&W Research Thread

Does it hit pokemon that only share one of the dual types, that is, can Sigilyph hit Skarmory with it?

If a pokemon shares BOTH types, does it do anything special (i.e. hit for double damage)

Otherwise, it'll just have a little novelty position of being the only ok-powered Psychic area-hitting move (albeit, horribly situational).

So I remember that there was this big back and forth on whether or not pokemon sent through the Relocator (the thing that lets you specifically send over the shiny beasts and Celebi) let them keep their berries.
I just wanted to say that no they do not keep their berries and anyone that saw them with their berries in BW was seeing hacked versions. Any items held by the quartet goes directly into the game that's being relocated from's bag

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Not sure if it's been posted anywhere else, so I'll post here.

Battling over local wireless (not IR) in the Union Room is different than previous generations. It more closely resembles a Wi-Fi match, with these notable differences from previous gen:

• Team Preview is mandatory if you battle using the Union Room.
  • Flat Battle now works differently from HGSS and enforces Battle Frontier / VGC-like rules. More below. I should mention that it is optional.
  • This applies to Wi-Fi too: There is no longer a level 50 or 100 mode, besides the Flat Battle mode. That means IV battles no longer exist over Wi-Fi. If you want to have a level 100 battle, you are required to grind it out :( And if you want to IV battle, you're forced to use level 50 C-Gear IR battles (which are local wireless only).
  • Wonder Launcher is optional.

Battling over IR (C-Gear) does the following:
  • Team Preview is completely disabled and cannot be turned on.
  • All Pokemon become level 50 for the battle, no matter what their previous level was. This is the only way to IV battle (and it may not be 100% accurate due to how IVs work at level 50). This is not a flat battle, as standard Flat Battle ban lists are ignored.
  • Wonder Launcher is mandatory.

Flat Battle Rules:
Flat Battle mode is optional, I should mention.
  • Species Clause is mandatory. No two Pokemon may have the same Species number (IE only one Rotom on your team regardless of Form).
  • Item Clause is mandatory. No two Pokemon may hold the same Item.
  • Special Pokemon are banned. See below.
  • For Singles battles, you bring 3-6 and pick 3.
  • For Doubles battles, you bring 4-6 and pick 4.
  • For Triples and Rotation battles, you bring and pick 6.
  • Pokemon under level 50 do not have their level changed. Pokemon over level 50 have their level reduced to 50 for the duration of the battle (and are returned to their proper level after the battle finishes).

Flat Battle Ban List:
The following Pokemon cannot be used in a Flat Battle. They can only be used in an open, unrestricted battle.
  • #150 Mewtwo
  • #151 Mew
  • #249 Lugia
  • #250 Ho-Oh
  • #251 Celebi
  • #382 Kyogre
  • #383 Groudon
  • #384 Rayquaza
  • #385 Jirachi
  • #386 Deoxys
  • #483 Dialga
  • #484 Palkia
  • #487 Giratina
  • #489 Phione
  • #490 Manaphy
  • #491 Darkrai
  • #492 Shaymin
  • #493 Arceus
  • #494 Victini
  • #643 Reshiram
  • #644 Zekrom
  • #646 Kyurem
  • #647 Keldeo
  • #648 Meloetta
  • #649 Genesect

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
No, it's Chatot, as Chatter's sound becomes its cry and I guess they didn't want Chatter to be heard online by any means; the only move banned is Sky Drop.

Then again, I don't know if it's only in Random Matches.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
(…)

• Team Preview is mandatory if you battle using the Union Room.
Battling over IR (C-Gear) does the following:
  • Team Preview is completely disabled and cannot be turned on.
  • Wonder Launcher is mandatory.
Interesting… So we either get Team Preview, or we get Wonder Launcher.

On another note, the following has been brought up a couple of times, but never fully discussed. I believe it should be added to the first post:
Shedinja thread said:
ninjask move-passing to Shedinja doesn't work in 5th gen anymore.

An NPC in the games states that using Flash twice against an enemy will reduce the accuracy of its moves to "about half" of what they usually are. According to the accuracy formula of previous games, using Flash twice should reduce the opponent's moves' accuracy to 60%, which might or might not be possible to consider "about half", depending on how strict the "about" is meant to be.

However, as I'm sure we're all aware, for most other stats, such as Attack, using a move resulting in a one-stage reduction twice would cause the stat to be exactly half of the original, which also could be referred to as "about half" if an NPC was supposed to not be going into the technical details of the mechanics by making an exact statement.

So, based on this, I raise the question: Has anyone tested to verify whether or not Accuracy and Evasion change by the same amounts as a result of stat boosts and drops in Gen 5 as they did in previous generations?

First post said:
Confirmed Doom Desire's damage is no longer typeless. and type resistance\immunities apply only to the Pokemon it hits. It can get STAB and it calculates damage using the SpDef of the target when it hits. Future Sight and Doom Desire cannot be queued up against the same target simultaneously. Is SpAtk calculated at the time the move is used or when the move hits? (TwilightMystery, Chileno4Live, dbolt, mien)
Tested it with my Swoobat by using Future Sight + Calm Mind on my Gigalith. Damage increased even when Calm Mind was used after Future Sight (but before it hit), suggesting the whole damage is calculated when it hits, so the boosts from CM came in effect.

I forgot to test what would happen if I switched to another Pokémon, but I'm guessing it uses the SAtk of whatever switched in.

I know this isn't questioned or anything but I figure this is worth stating.

In a rotation battle, Fake Out's ability to be used is also frozen when on standby. If you send out a Pokémon with fake out and it starts in standby phase you can do something like... oh, say, use fake out by rotating it from standby to the front on the second turn, since the game counts that as the first turn it can use fake out.

Tested (more like accidentally found out) at Ace Trainer Elmer over at route 7, US Black version.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I know this isn't questioned or anything but I figure this is worth stating.

In a rotation battle, Fake Out's ability to be used is also frozen when on standby. If you send out a Pokémon with fake out and it starts in standby phase you can do something like... oh, say, use fake out by rotating it from standby to the front on the second turn, since the game counts that as the first turn it can use fake out.

Tested (more like accidentally found out) at Ace Trainer Elmer over at route 7, US Black version.
That's good to know!

So you can Fake Out, rotate and Fake Out, rotate and Fake Out? (Activating Unburden? Using Normal jewels?) Sounds fun...

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
It should be noted, if it's not already elsewhere, a Zoroark that hits itself when confused does not break its own illusion.

Not sure if this was applied before, or known, or this is a glitch, but while playing I found if a Pokemon is using Dig, the first turn (the using turn) it's not hit by Sandstorm, but the second (hitting turn) it is.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Not sure if this was applied before, or known, or this is a glitch, but while playing I found if a Pokemon is using Dig, the first turn (the using turn) it's not hit by Sandstorm, but the second (hitting turn) it is.
That's been the norm since Gen 2.

breh

強いだね
Although I'm not sure if this was in gen 4 or not (or if it's widely known):

If used at full health, Roost does not remove Flying-type.

Edit: No, it does not say "But it failed"; it says a similar fail message for all recovery moves (user has max HP or something), which is not the same thing.

Although I'm not sure if this was in gen 4 or not (or if it's widely known):

If used at full health, Roost does not remove Flying-type.

Edit: No, it does not say "But it failed"; it says a similar fail message for all recovery moves (user has max HP or something), which is not the same thing.
Yeah, it's just "But pokemon's health is already full!" I think.

It's been like that the whole time, with the same thing as Rest, which won't heal status/induce sleep if your HP is full.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
A couple observations in case they were missed.

In Doubles and Triples battles, if you use a move that hits all allies and opponents (such as Earthquake), it will attempt to damage your Pokemon before it attempts to damage your opponents.

U-Turn mechanics are slightly different if U-Turn KOs your Opponent.

In 4th Gen:
1. U-Turn inflicts damage on your opponent
2. Your Pokemon is called back
3. Your New Pokemon is brought out
4. Your opponent's Pokemon faints.
4.5 Battle ends here if it's your opponent's final Pokemon (I think)
5. Your opponent brings out his new Pokemon.

In 5th Gen:
1. U-Turn inflicts damage on your opponent
2. Your opponent's Pokemon faints.
2.5 Battle ends here if it's your opponent's final Pokemon
3. Your Pokemon is called back
4. Your New Pokemon is brought out
4.5 Opponent sees your new Pokemon
5. Your opponent brings out his new Pokemon.

In Doubles and Triples battles, if you use a move that hits all allies and opponents (such as Earthquake), it will attempt to damage your Pokemon before it attempts to damage your opponents.
Was that disregarding the normal Speed order it hits in, or did your own pokemon just have higher speed than both opponents, as that'd be the normal order in that case.

dont know where to postthis but my dewott knew encore. he evolved and i taught him x scissor over it, when i got into a battle x scissor only had 5 pp? a level later he tried to learn encore again?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
dont know where to postthis but my dewott knew encore. he evolved and i taught him x scissor over it, when i got into a battle x scissor only had 5 pp? a level later he tried to learn encore again?
Teaching a Pokemon a TM move will not fully restore it's PP anymore. This is to prevent blatant TM abuse this generation.
Was that disregarding the normal Speed order it hits in, or did your own pokemon just have higher speed than both opponents, as that'd be the normal order in that case.
I didn't even think of that. Good call. Yes, all three of my Pokemon outsped my opponent.

I discovered a few things, dunno if we already knew them (they're concerning more of the game overall as opposed to battling)

*Pokemon with a National Ribbon (the ribbon Shadow Pokemon recieve when purified) cannot be traded over the GTS. It will act as if you're trying to trade something with a Classic Ribbon or whatever it's called.

*Someone should try to confirm this, but I think Pokemon that know Iron Tail that can only learn the move from a Generation IV TM cannot be traded over the GTS. The GTS repeatedly turned down my Skuntank, and it's a perfectly normal Skuntank. Not hacked or illegitimate in any way. It does know Iron Tail, though, hence my suspicion. And I know it's not a blanket ban on past generation moves, as I was able to trade my Chimecho over the GTS (for a female DW Poliwag, no less!) with no problem, and it knew Icy Wind AND Shock Wave.

*Pokemon can't be given obscene nicknames anymore. Tested this myself last night, came up with a preliminary list of unacceptible nicknames.
fuck
shit
ass
(BAN ME PLEASE)
(BAN ME PLEASE)
cunt
(BAN ME PLEASE)
pussy
penis
vagina
cock
dick
sex
clit
sperm
tits
masturbate
Hitler
nazi
9/11
anal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)