B&W Research Thread

Poccil (I do not know how to do that linky thing), I am what many would call a cynical person. I can't say that I was at ease so I scoured the net for a 5th gen calculator and tried it myself. It says power is 165...so now we have two calculators saying different things?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Poccil (I do not know how to do that linky thing), I am what many would call a cynical person. I can't say that I was at ease so I scoured the net for a 5th gen calculator and tried it myself. It says power is 165...so now we have two calculators saying different things?
If you're that skeptical, test it yourself. We don't have magic testing tools any more than you do.

Forgive me but I don't exactly have the "tools" myself, just the calculators that you guys can get a hold of too...I asked here because I thought we could ask questions here that could be tested by someone who helped run the thread? Or have I misunderstood?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Forgive me but I don't exactly have the "tools" myself, just the calculators that you guys can get a hold of too...I asked here because I thought we could ask questions here that could be tested by someone who helped run the thread? Or have I misunderstood?
Dude, we do not use 'calculators'. We use actual copies of the DS game. It's very simple. Have a Technician Pokemon use Acrobatics while holding an item on a target a few times and write down the damage. Then unequip the item and test against the same target. Does the damage double or only increase by 33%? This is not rocket science.

The calculators that you use are written based on testing like this. Not the other way around.

EDIT: So to be clear, when poccil said he tested it, it means he actually tested it in-game. If you still have doubts, run the test I described.

Tested Nature Power, Secret Power, and Camouflage in an IR battle.

Nature Power uses Earthquake, just like in a Wi-Fi battle.
Secret Power has a chance to lower accuracy by one stage, just like in a Wi-Fi battle.
Camouflage makes the user the Ground type. Even if the user has two types, one of which is Ground, Camouflage makes the user a pure Ground type. Camouflage fails if the user is already the Ground type.

If memory serves, Soak doesn't fail even if the user is already a pure Water type. Can someone confirm this?
If you meant AGAINST a pure water type, then yes it doesn't fail for some reason.
EDIT: Accelgor'd/Ninjask'd..etc

I was hoping someone with the DS game would actually test it because I am unable to do so myself. Hence why I posted in this thread in the first place. Because I can't test it. I am fully aware that the test I was hoping for wouldn't use a calculator and that it isn't "rocket science". I am just unable to test it myself. It was my understanding this was part of, if not, THE point of this thread.

Also, Poccil seemed to be using a calculator. It seemed to be quite a quick test...

EDIT: My sense of time is off at least, there was longer between the answer and my question than I thought

Blackhawk11

one on one
tested for cbleach (just to get him to be less doubtful)
Lvl 50 Technician Ambipom (No item) vs lvl 50 Serperior:
Expected damage for 110 physical flying: 82 - 98
Expected damage for 165 physical flying: 124-146
actual damage: 84/90

Same Ambipom vs. Lvl 50 Volcarona:
Expected damage for 110 physical flying: 102 - 120
Expected damage for 165 physical flying: 128 - 152
Actual damage: 104/116

Edit: Also did what TMN suggested:
vs. Serperior:
with item: 62/66
without item: 84/90

vs. Volcarona:
with item: 76/78
without item: 104/116

The technician boost is not applied to an itemless Acrobatics.

I was hoping someone with the DS game would actually test it because I am unable to do so myself. Hence why I posted in this thread in the first place. Because I can't test it. I am fully aware that the test I was hoping for wouldn't use a calculator and that it isn't "rocket science". I am just unable to test it myself.
Anyone with internet acces has the possibility to play the game without the use of a DS or the actual game nowadays. As such there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to do your own testing.

Ok, thanks for the tests, and sorry for being a douche about it.

As for what you say mien, if you mean via emulator then well, I think it's a bit morally wrong to use them. Just my opinion. If you mean by simulator then well, you only serve to prove my point. See I wanted to know the actual affect in game to see what the mechanic was. On pokemon online, I did damage only possible with Technician applying to the Acrobatics. I just wanted to see if it did it in game because from the start, poccil's 'wording' point was perfectly valid and if correct, would mean the simulator was wrong.

When facing a real life trainer (not an in-game trainer) you will always receive your item back. In any in-game instances your item will be gone forever and you must get a new one. I hope this helped.
This is how it worked in gen 4. My sister was battling an in-game trainer when this happened (she was grinding Linoone for Pickup purposes).

Haven't gotten to that list yet, but anyhow...

Soak DOES get drawn in by storm drain and also boosts special attack. Tested this over in double grass at Village Bridge (Wild golduck there have soak), and Storm Drain's ability notification popped up twice. Once to show soak was drawn in, and once to state the special attack boost.

Hey, I have a player's guide for Black and White, and it describes the three "pledge" moves (or "oath" moves in the Japanese version). According to the guide, each combination has a power of 150, but the grass+fire combination struck me with surprise when it said all non-fire type pokemon are damaged for 3 turns (technically 4). Has anyone tested to see if fire types are immune to this damage? I have a DS, but do not have any fire starters yet....I'm just putting this out there for the sake of Smogon's interest haha.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
I've been playing around with Rotation Battles and discovered something that I don't think is in the first post yet.

Switching in a Rotation battle can happen before rotation. I had a battle where I switched my Zebstrika out for a Stoutland. The Stoutland came out and Intimidate activated against my opponent's Tyranitar. Then Tyranitar rotated out for Latias, which hit my Stoutland with Dragon Pulse.

It's possible that this only happened because Zebstrika was faster than Tyranitar and that switching and rotating actually have the same priority. I'll post later if I can prove or disprove that.

This is to be expected. Wonder Skin changes the accuracy of non-damaging attacks against its bearer to 50 (before other accuracy-modifying effects.) This is unlike most other effects that modify accuracy, such as evasiveness and BrightPowder. In this way, for example, Leer and Heal Block, which both have an accuracy of 100, will have an accuracy of 50 instead. As another example, Hypnosis, which has an accuracy of 60, will have an accuracy of 50 (not 30) instead.
I've done several tests and it appears you are correct. My apologises for doubting you earlier.

Why a +6 Speed Ninjask is allowed to move first under Trick Room in this youtube battle?
I've done several tests regarding this strange mechanic and this is what i've confirmed so far:
- Like in the video the +6 Speed Ninjask moved first under Trick Room even before the lvl 10 Purrloin, Scizor was still allowed to Bullet Punch first however.
- It has nothing to do with Baton Pass as X-scissor went first as well.
- A +5 Speed(or less) Ninjask moved last under Trick Room like normal
- My +6 Speed Cloyster who boosted through Shell Smash also moved last under Trick Room like normal.

I still haven't quite figured out why it does though.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Still, nothing odd about that number. It hasn't just jumped over a power of 2 or anything. And there haven't been any reports of people using Belly Drum only to have their Attack roll around to a tiny number, right?

EDIT: Moreover, if Trick Room isn't active, your Ninjask with +6 Speed Boosts doesn't go last, does it?

Still, nothing odd about that number. It hasn't just jumped over a power of 2 or anything. And there haven't been any reports of people using Belly Drum only to have their Attack roll around to a tiny number, right?

EDIT: Moreover, if Trick Room isn't active, your Ninjask with +6 Speed Boosts doesn't go last, does it?
No, it still moved first without Trick Room.
I've tested to see whether the stats roll over at some point and these are the results.
A +6 Speed Blaziken with 148 Speed moved last under Trick Room
A +4 Speed(and beyond) Ninjask holding Choice Scarf moved first under Trick Room.

Perhaps once you exceed a number between 1610 and 1840 Speed it automatically gets set to 0 under Trick Room?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Maybe. If you want to test if it becomes 0 exactly, you could have two Pokemon with sufficiently high, but different Speed stats and see if it randomizes turn order between the two of them.

I've tested it with 2 Ninjask having +6 Speed, one with 359 Speed and other having 360 Speed.
The one with 359 Speed went first 8 times in a row under Trick Room, the one with 360 Speed second and the lvl 10 Purrloin last.

Unless i am very unlucky it seems it neither resets to zero nor sets to zero.

Perhaps once you exceed a number between 1610 and 1840 Speed it automatically gets set to 0 under Trick Room?
I don't know the exact number, but I remember from the old Battle Frontier Records topic in Gen IV that the trainers in the Battle Tower would restart after about that number of battles.
Perhaps there is a connection?
EDIT: The exact number is 1792.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)