B&W Research Thread

breh

強いだね
256*7 seems to be unrelated (since 7 corresponds to the number of battle tower battles per section) but could possibly randomly correspond.

Something kinda interesting my sister discovered by accident: with the new handling of items changing hands in trainer battles, a Flung item will return after the battle. Not sure about wild battles though.

That was a scare when it happened though, she wasn't really paying full attention to the game and had her Linoone Fling its Lucky Egg. But Linoone had it again after the battle.
Long story short.

A Flung item will return after a battle with in-game trainers (and real trainers, of course).

Works like usual on wild pokes: you lose the item.

Confirmed by me >.<

I tested some things on Illusion recently.

Simple Beam: It works and the Illusion will break (the target's ability will change to Simple).

Entrainment: Works and breaks the Illusion (unless user's ability is Illusion.)

Worry Seed: Works and breaks the Illusion.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In a Triple Battle, if someone uses Wish and then someone else uses "Move" or "Side Change" to replace the Wish user, without recalling anyone, who gets healed?
If the Shift mechanic is used, the Pokemon standing in the spot where the Wish user was when it used Wish will receive the healing benefit. I have not yet tested Ally Switch, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't work the same way.

Also, I've confirmed that the Wish user can successfully use Wish again after being shifted to a different spot on the field but before the first Wish takes effect (as expected).

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
For the purpose of testing, I hacked a Pawniard with the ability Harvest. I taught it Rest (and Taunt) and gave it a Chesto Berry. Two things I have discovered:

-if a Pokemon uses its berry, does not regain the berry from Harvest, switches out, and then switches back in, the game still 'remembers' that the Pokemon had that berry and can regenerate it by Harvest
-a Pokemon may regenerate its berry back on the switch (not all abilities can activate on the switch, such as Speed Boost)

Here is my recording of playing around with Harvest, both points can be seen at 8:37.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bMJC-zQeBg&feature=channel_video_title

I plan to record 100 possible turns of Harvest activating and see how many times it occurs.

Edit: A Sheer Force Pokemon using Fling with Poison Barb still poisons the foe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA0OrYVTz2o

Rest of the video is just random testing, nothing new.

I don't know the exact number, but I remember from the old Battle Frontier Records topic in Gen IV that the trainers in the Battle Tower would restart after about that number of battles.
Perhaps there is a connection?
EDIT: The exact number is 1792.
It doesn't seem to be this number however coincidence or not it appears to be quite close which helped me to find the real number more easily. The fellowing tests were all done under Trick Room with lvl 100 Ninjasks, Speed after 6 boosts is between brackets.

Ninjask with 448Spe(1792)- moved last
Ninjask with 449Spe(1796)- moved last
Ninjask with 451Spe(1804)- moved last
Ninjask with 452Spe(1808)- moved last
Ninjask with 453Spe(1812)- moved first
Ninjask with 402Spe holding Choice Choice Scarf after 4 boosts or 1809 Spe -moved first

It appears the glitch triggers once a pokemon reached or exceeds 1809 Speed.

It still bugs me why it is the number 1809 however..

breh

強いだね
the best idea I can guess about 1808 is that it's 16 off of the mystical 1792. for the hell of it, its factors are 16 and 113; the latter is close to 112, which is 16*7.

1809 is 1+ that.

the best idea I can guess about 1808 is that it's 16 off of the mystical 1792. for the hell of it, its factors are 16 and 113; the latter is close to 112, which is 16*7.

1809 is 1+ that.
Well i thought it had something to do with the lvl 10 Purrlion having 16Speed however, when i tested the 451 Speed +6 Ninjask against a lvl 4 Patrat, Ninjask also went last under Trick Room.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Even if a Pokemon uses Protect, it is subject to the collateral damage from a Flame Burst that hits an adjacent ally.

If a Pokemon used Destiny Bond on its last turn and gets knocked out by collateral damage from Flame Burst that hits an adjacent ally, it will not take the Flame Burst user down with it.

Moral of the story: Ha ha, Focus Sash/Destiny Bond Gengar. How you like me now?

To answer one of the questions in the first post:

The effects of Guard Split and Power Split cannot be passed with Baton Pass. To use Magic: The Gathering terminology, the effects of both moves are "one-shot effects", that is, they happen at the moment the attack is used and don't have a duration.

On Serebii's gender mechanics page, it states that Attract works on genderless Pokémon when used by another genderless Pokémon (Mew or Cryogonal). This seems pretty doubtful to me, but it's worth a test.

On Serebii's gender mechanics page, it states that Attract works on genderless Pokémon when used by another genderless Pokémon (Mew or Cryogonal). This seems pretty doubtful to me, but it's worth a test.
Tried this. Wild double battle, my Magnezone didn't give a crap about my Cryogonal's Attract.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Tried this. Wild double battle, my Magnezone didn't give a crap about my Cryogonal's Attract.
Not that this needed confirmation, but I got the same result. I also tested whether Cryogonal's Attract would work on male or female Pokemon. It doesn't. I guess GameFreak made an oversight in giving Cryogonal Attract.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
IIRC in a previous Gen (via Mew's attract) that worked. What that Gen was, IDK, but whatever it was the mechanic didn't carry over.

Inb4 people start testing attract Mew in every gen now.

breh

強いだね
Just a note, but did people check attract vs. wild pokemon instead of allies? I'm not sure you can attract an ally.

Is Pokémon Ranger able to transfer Pokémon to Black and White?
From the booklet:
Note: it is not possible to communicate with Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, and Nintendo Gamecube Pokemon series titles. This game is also incompatible with the Wii title Pokemon Battle Revolution, The Wiiware title My Pokemon Ranch, the Nintendo DS series Pokemon Ranger games, and the Pokewalker accessory.

So no.

Breludicolo:

I tested this in-game.

In this situation, the Pokemon would use Metronome, since it was the "last move it used before" Encore was used (the game ignores moves used by other moves when determining the last move used). However, the Pokemon won't take any action on the following round because it started to use a two-turn attack, namely Fly, on the first round.

More interesting, though, is what happens to the move chosen by Metronome on the second round. On the rare chance that the Pokemon uses the same or another two-turn attack, such as Dig, it will deal damage immediately, as though it had used that move (rather than Fly) on the first turn. More likely, though, the chosen move will be something different entirely; here, however, if the move targets the user itself, it will say that the Pokemon "avoided the attack" and the move will fail.

All the above, however, assumes that Encore succeeded against the Pokemon while it was using Fly. Normally this is not possible without the aid of No Guard or Lock-On.

breh

強いだね
hm, interesting. thanks!

If rollout kills a pokemon using grudge, does it keep going or stop?

If a pokemon uses grudge, does the effect last until the turn's end or until the pokemon's switch?

Grudge is like Destiny Bond, except almost completely outclassed (there are set-up opportunities when you remove a threatening move and force the opponent to take an extra turn to switch). So it lasts until the end of the turn.

Actually, Grudge's effect lasts until its user takes its turn again, as it always has, and not until the end of the round. This is according to my in-game tests.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)