B&W Research Thread

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
If used against a clear body pokemon or something like that, the move won't have an effect and you'll faint, but when it misses or is blocked, you don't faint at all.

Huh. In a random battle and something strange happened. It was my Staraptor vs. his Slowking; I used U-turn, it hit, and his Eject Button activated; he switched out, however, I didn't, despite having 2 other pokes left. Not sure how important or if this has been discovered yet, but still. I'll post the video if he doesn't D/C.

EDIT: [37-83435-37498]

It's relatively close to the start (Turn 2).

Is Yawn's effect Baton Passable?
I'm assuming the following scenario:
Turn 1-Poke A-used Yawn; Poke B-used random move.
Turn 2-Poke A-used random move; Poke B- switched out via baton pass.

That case, according to the Gen IV explanation, yawn does not work, so baton pass is ineffective. I could test it in Gen V later... but at first is a no.

I'm not assuming...
Turn 1-Poke A-used Yawn; Poke B-used random move.
Turn 2-Poke A-used baton pass; Poke B- and used random move.
Because it stayed in, so it should sleep anyways.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
What happens if a Pokemon uses the move Dragon Tail on a Pokemon holding Red Card? Will the Pokemon with Red Card be forced out from Dragon Tail? If it is, is it forced out before or after the opponent?

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
If I understand correctly, speed is determined when the round starts, and not in-between moves.

Assuming that this is correct, then what happens if a Pokémon holding a Zoom Lens (raises accuracy 20% if said Pokémon is slower) is hit in a multi-battle with:

A) After You if the Pokémon was supposed to move last.
B) Quash if the Pokémon was supposed to move before its target.

Thanks in advance. By the way, my question regarding Lock-On + Baton Pass remains unanswered.

After commands are chosen for the round, the game determines the turn order of Pokemon, whereby each Pokemon's Speed is calculated. It's not the case that a Pokemon's Speed is fixed each round, but rather (most of the time) its turn order.

My description for Zoom Lens reads: "Accuracy of attacks by the holder is multiplied by 1.2 if holder strikes last this round or if the attack is Future Sight or Doom Desire." Zoom Lens, therefore, is not affected by the Speed of a Pokemon, but only whether a Pokemon is last in the turn order. After You and Quash both affect the turn order of Pokemon, not their Speed.

With After You, if a Pokemon that would otherwise strike last is moved earlier in the turn order, Zoom Lens would fail to work for that Pokemon that round. After You, however, "[f]ails if ... opponent would already strike immediately after the user this round": After You can't make a Pokemon strike last it wouldn't already do so.

With Quash, on the other hand, the Pokemon affected by Quash will indeed receive the accuracy boost from Zoom Lens if it goes last in the turn order this way.

The effect of Lock-On (and Mind Reader) will end even when either the user or opponent uses Baton Pass.

I've done in-game tests to make sure of all of the above.

breh

強いだね
I'll ask again, for the bidoof analysis for LC:

what effect does Baton Pass have on simple?

aka I pass tail glow to simple bidoof, does it have +6 SpA or +3?

breh

強いだね
have you tested this? that's how it worked last gen but simple has changed in the way it works in this gen.

My description for Simple reads:

"Effects that increase or decrease bearer's stat stages by a certain number of stages do so by twice that many stages instead."

In this way, for example, if a Pokémon has Simple, Tail Glow's effect would be " Increases user's Special Attack by 6 stages" instead of "Increases user's Special Attack by 3 stages." Shell Smash's effect would instead be: "Decreases user's Defense and Special Defense by 2 stages and increases user's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed by 4 stages." Thus, from a single use of Tail Glow, the Pokemon's Special Attack stat stage would be 6 rather than 3. That value, after the Pokemon uses Baton Pass, would be passed to the Pokemon who takes that Pokemon's place.

However, if another Pokemon (without Simple) uses Tail Glow and passes it to a Pokemon with Simple, the Special Attack stat stage will remain unchanged, that is, it remains 3, not doubled to 6.

As with my previous post, I've done in-game tests to make sure of all of the above.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
After commands are chosen for the round, the game determines the turn order of Pokemon, whereby each Pokemon's Speed is calculated. It's not the case that a Pokemon's Speed is fixed each round, but rather (most of the time) its turn order.

My description for Zoom Lens reads: "Accuracy of attacks by the holder is multiplied by 1.2 if holder strikes last this round or if the attack is Future Sight or Doom Desire." Zoom Lens, therefore, is not affected by the Speed of a Pokemon, but only whether a Pokemon is last in the turn order. After You and Quash both affect the turn order of Pokemon, not their Speed.

With After You, if a Pokemon that would otherwise strike last is moved earlier in the turn order, Zoom Lens would fail to work for that Pokemon that round. After You, however, "[f]ails if ... opponent would already strike immediately after the user this round": After You can't make a Pokemon strike last it wouldn't already do so.

With Quash, on the other hand, the Pokemon affected by Quash will indeed receive the accuracy boost from Zoom Lens if it goes last in the turn order this way.

The effect of Lock-On (and Mind Reader) will end even when either the user or opponent uses Baton Pass.

I've done in-game tests to make sure of all of the above.
It was my understanding that the Zoom Lens boost would be applied whenever the target had already taken its turn in the round, not when the user moved dead last in the round. Have you tested to confirm this?

What is the damage formula used? The one from X-Act gives me a different result than the excel document one, the smogon one, and the silverlight damage calculator. If anyone can tell me this it would be very helpful.

Damage Formula = (((((((Level × 2 ÷ 5) + 2) × BasePower × [Sp]Atk ÷ 50) ÷ [Sp]Def) × Mod1) + 2) ×
CH × Mod2 × R ÷ 100) × STAB × Type1 × Type2 × Mod3)

Is what I'm using and seems to be wrong compared to the other calcs I've been using.

EDIT: When I used the formula and got the number before Mod1 was applied rounded it down then applied Mod1 because of doubles I got the same solution as the Smogon calculator and all the other calculators which doesn't make sense compared to the formula.

EDIT2: Nevermind about the first edit, I am confused because the moment I checked off both Doubles Battle and Multiple Targets it worked and gave me the same information as the Smogon calculator. But I don't understand what makes it different.

TheMaskedNitpicker:

You appear to be correct. To be honest, before you had posted that, I was unaware myself of how Zoom Lens works. My description for Zoom Lens is now: "Accuracy of attacks by the holder is multiplied by 1.2 if holder strikes after their opponent this round. (Also applies to Future Sight and Doom Desire, even if holder didn't strike after its opponent, except if the opponent became active after the beginning of the round.)"

Confirmed Harvest has a chance of restoring a used berry at the end of the turn. If conditions for berry use are met the berry will be immediately used, however, and not be restored again. Does not restore Berry Juice. Will always activate in sunlight. If a Pokemon uses its berry, does not regain the berry from Harvest, switches out, and then switches back in, the game still 'remembers' that the Pokemon had that berry and can regenerate it by Harvest, can regenerate its berry back on the switch(mien, CyzirVisheen, #2, #3, sb879, Pidge)
Umm... I just tested this myself and it is partially incorrect. The berry will continue to be restored indefinitely, in or out of sunlight; however, on the turn it activates twice, Harvest does not return the berry a second time, but it will the following turn after that, continuing to activate as soon as it is recovered, until the berry cannot activate anymore (e.g., tried it with a Leichi berry, and it kept getting eaten until exeggute's attack was +6)

I do not have a way of recording a wild battle on my DS, but I will work on recording a vid of this in the battle subway and then posting the video number here.

EDIT: Here it is: 66-52221-90606

Sure makes Harvest a hell of a lot more interesting now, doesn't it? :D

gamer_reloaded:

As you've pointed out, the phrase "the berry will ... not be restored again" probably should have been "the berry will ... not be restored again in the same round", to avoid a potential misunderstanding. It's probably referring to the case when, after the Berry is restored with Harvest, the "conditions for berry use are met" immediately afterward.

Harvest has an effect that triggers once at the end of each round if certain conditions are met; it doesn't matter whether Harvest triggered for its bearer previously:

"At the end of each round, if Sunny Day is in effect or else at a 50% chance, and if bearer isn't holding an item and the last item consumed by the bearer is a Berry, the bearer receives the last item consumed by the bearer and that item is reset."

Smack Down hit a target using Bounce in this battle video I just uploaded:

Battle Video Number: 96-00890-58837

On Harvest: I did some testing in game and got a 54.6% activation rate (from 130 attempts). So it would probably be around 50%.

I don't think anyone has tested this.

Are Heat Crash/Heavy Slam affected by any of Iron Ball, Pumice Stone, Light Metal, Heavy Metal, Autotomize or Gravity?

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Eviolite: It grants 50% boost to Def and SDEf to NFE pokemon.

I want to know if the case is true for pokemon who don't evolve. I've searched the whole Eviolite thread and didn't find anything...

The Eviolite: It grants 50% boost to Def and SDEf to NFE pokemon.

I want to know if the case is true for pokemon who don't evolve. I've searched the whole Eviolite thread and didn't find anything...
It doesn't, because they don't, well, evolve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)