Professor Smeargle: Digital Art Tutorial / Tutoring Thread

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
it has a 4" by 6" drawing space and each corner of the tablet is mapped to a corner of the screen

i never had problems with it

Well here it goes! My first tutorial ever, of anything. I'm sorry if there were spelling mistakes, I typed it all in photoshop which doesn't have auto spell. I went through myself and found everything I could but I'm not the best speller. It is quite long as I included pretty much every step of my creative process. I hope you will forgive me and I hope you learn something!

Ahh, thank you sooo much Sentret...really needed this tutorial. Lineart and simple coloring are one thing, but painting is so much harder to me.

Well here it goes! My first tutorial ever, of anything. I'm sorry if there were spelling mistakes, I typed it all in photoshop which doesn't have auto spell. I went through myself and found everything I could but I'm not the best speller. It is quite long as I included pretty much every step of my creative process. I hope you will forgive me and I hope you learn something!

On this last step, instead of saving it as a jpg and reopening it to get a flat image, use the command CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + E to stamp visible, which will create a layer on top of all your others with a copy of all visible layers. This way you preserve quality and its much more simple than reopening.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
On this last step, instead of saving it as a jpg and reopening it to get a flat image, use the command CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + E to stamp visible, which will create a layer on top of all your others with a copy of all visible layers. This way you preserve quality and its much more simple than reopening.

or you could just save as a .png lol

Wow, that really really helps, thank you for taking the time to write that. Also didn't know not to use the ps brush presets, so thanks for that link. (Also fantastic job on the meganium, it really turned out well!) ^_^b

how do you transition from a pencil to a tablet?_?

like i can draw photorealistic stuff with my pencil but then when i try to draw on my tablet everything looks so bad ;____;

i'm using a wacom intuos 3 with elements 9

oh yeah it's 4x6

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
drawing with a tablet is just a matter of practice
it will never look as good as you can really draw at first
keep at it is the only advice i can give you

eventually it will feel natural. it took me a few months to become completely acquainted when i first got mine

Volmise

.:The Firefly Light:.
is an Artist Alumnus
I've created a lineart tutorial since people keep asking how I get my lines like I do, and figured I would contribute. :3

Hey guys, JUST got a bamboo fun two days ago, and man am I psyched! Da dum kish.....

Anyways, I'm good at the sketching and ok with the line art, but when it comes to colouring it in......well, to be frank, I SUCK.

Anybody got a good, simple colouring tutorial that they can spout to the world? Or some advice? The tools I'm using are the bamboo fun, and Macintosh photoshop 8.0.

Please help. It's an early birthday present because it has a return policy of up to 15 days and I need to make sure its the right one for me. If I can understand how to shade and colour more properly, that would help.

It's pressure sensitive, so just adjust how hard you're pressing to achieve smooth shading. Make sure Photoshop is set to allow the tablet pressure to override the opacity in the brush settings, too. Use layers to your advantage, e.g. have the colour layer(s) below the lineart layer(s) so you don't colour over the lineart.

Really each tablet is the same, the main differences are size and superfluous features. If this tablet doesn't work for you, getting a different one probably won't help. You don't need a tutorial so much as you need to practice and just try things out to get good. Check out icepick's tutorial on the first page too.

Thanks a lot, Volmise! I love your crisp line art and it's an area in which I really struggle. I've never tried the 'short, swift stroke' thing as opposed to 'long, dragging stroke'. Should be a lot of help. :D At the very least, it's always interesting to see how talented artists do their thing.

Volmise

.:The Firefly Light:.
is an Artist Alumnus
Thanks a lot, Volmise! I love your crisp line art and it's an area in which I really struggle. I've never tried the 'short, swift stroke' thing as opposed to 'long, dragging stroke'. Should be a lot of help. :D At the very least, it's always interesting to see how talented artists do their thing.
A lot of artists I've seen have trouble making clean and crisp lineart because they're doing the 'long, dragging' stroke method. Really something so simple as changing how you do your strokes is almost, well, too simple to even cross someone's mind most of the time.

I'm very glad my tutorial is helping people though. Makes all of the time and effort put forth into it worthwhile.

In the future I'm considering doing a coloring/shading tutorial as well. My style is so simple though I'm not too sure it's needed, hah.

Hey guys. Got a problem. I've been trying to use my tablet on photoshop 8.0. But for some weird reason the brush and erazor are all messed up. It's completely and utterly screwed. Whenever I open a new document, and set it to brush, I get this tiny little grainy line that you can barely see. The font is set at 18, but it tinier than font 1. It also fades in places and isn't a solid line. Same goes for the erazor. Can I get some help?

Um, I don't know because the photoshop that I am using is on Mac so the formatting looks different than the one that you are showing me. But if it is the preset brush, then how do i change it?

Hey guys. Got a problem. I've been trying to use my tablet on photoshop 8.0. But for some weird reason the brush and erazor are all messed up. It's completely and utterly screwed. Whenever I open a new document, and set it to brush, I get this tiny little grainy line that you can barely see. The font is set at 18, but it tinier than font 1. It also fades in places and isn't a solid line. Same goes for the erazor. Can I get some help?
Are you zoomed out?

Also, when you make a new document, try setting it to 72 dpi.

Lol, jumpluff. Actually, I just fixed it before I went onto smogon. Apparently you were right though. I was zoomed out. Man do I fel like an idiot! But I'm very satisfied with the bamboo though. Glad I've got it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)