B&W Research Thread

On Random Matchup today, an enemy Kingdra's Sitrus Berry right after the game gave the message that it used Substitute, but before the attack actually happened. The Kingdra was just a little below half HP. Dunno if anything like this has been known before. In hindsight, though, I probably should have saved the Battle Video for research purposes...

So, out of curiosity, I tested Hustle, Hone Claws and Lax Incense...

Premise: Hustle 80% accuracy, 1 x Hone Claws = 4/3 accuracy, Lax Incense 95% accuracy (or 90%)...

I used a Tornadus holding a Lax Incense with a partner Hustle Durant with the moveset Metal Claw, Bug Bite, Hone Claws & Iron Head (later with Giga Impact) in a wild double battle.

Tests:

1. Hone Claws Hustle Metal Claw (95 acc) vs Lax Incense:
a) 95 x 0,8 x 0,95 x 4/3 = 96 acc
b) 95 x 0,8 x 0,90 x 4/3 = 90 acc
c) 95 x 0,9 x 0,95 x 4/3 = 100 acc
d) 95 x 0,9 x 0,90 x 4/3 = 100 acc

Result: After 1 x Hone Claws, Tornadus avoided the 50th and the 61th Metal Claw attack from Hustle Durant targeting it.

2. Hone Claws Hustle Bug Bite/Iron Head (100 acc) vs Lax Incense:
a) 100 x 0,8 x 0,95 x 4/3 = 100 acc
b) 100 x 0,8 x 0,90 x 4/3 = 96 acc

Result: After 1 x Hone Claws, Tornadus avoided the 53rd, 73rd and 74th Bug Bite/Iron Head attack from Hustle Durant targeting it.

Lax Incense can´t be a 5% modifier nor a 6,25% modifier (1/16) if Hustle is a 20% modifier.

3. Hone Claws Hustle Giga Impact (90 acc) vs no hold item:
a) 90 x 0,8 x 4/3 = 96 acc
b) 90 x 0,85 x 4/3 = 100 acc

Result: After 1 x Hone Claws, Tornadus avoided the 33rd Giga Impact attack from Hustle Durant targeting it.

Hustle is indeed an (at least) 20% accuracy modifier, unless 1 x Hone Claws is a lower than 4/3 accuracy modifier.

EDIT: I should probably test Hone Claws+Hustle+Metal Claw to see whether Hustle is 80 acc (it would never miss) or 75 acc (it would miss 1 in about 20 tries)

I´ve also tested Fiery Dance % of raising the spA, various sites list it as 50%. Well, coin flips are always difficult to test. I got:

6 in 10
4 in 10
6 in 8
6 in 16
6 in 13

a total 28 spA boosts in 57 fiery dances, so my tests were pretty accurate with a 49% probability.

Fiery Dance has a 50% chance to raise spA.

EDIT: Also tested Hone Claws + Hustle + Metal Claw and Durant hit 112/112. Hustle is definitely a 20% modifier.

To test whether Lax Incense is a 10% modifier (x0,9), I´d have to use Wide Lens vs Lax Incense with a 100 accurate attack, whether there´s a 1% chance to avoid an attack. Maybe I´ll do this test later.

Also tested Sacred Sword yesterday, it bypasses foe´s Double Team evasion boosts but will miss against Snow Cloak (damn).
Confirming that Lax Incense is a 10% modifier (not 5%). I tested this via desmume/battle RNG manipulation.
(((Seed >> 32) * 100) >> 32) == 0-99
Using strength (100 accuracy) on a Pokemon holding Lax Incense I found that if Seed (((Seed >> 32) * 100) >> 32) == 0-89 Strength hit. If Seed (((Seed >> 32) * 100) >> 32) == 90-99 Strength missed. That works out to 10% chance of a miss.

I just had a Gyarados facing a Yanmega in the Subway. Yanmega used Swagger to confuse me folloewed by me using Substitute. then i hurt myself with confusion and went down to about 1/4 HP but my Gyarados's Sitrus Berry didn't activate. Next turn Yanmega used Psychic and Sitrus Berry activated. There seems to be a glitch to do with confusion and Sitrus Berry

On Random Matchup today, an enemy Kingdra's Sitrus Berry right after the game gave the message that it used Substitute, but before the attack actually happened. The Kingdra was just a little below half HP. Dunno if anything like this has been known before. In hindsight, though, I probably should have saved the Battle Video for research purposes...
I just had a Gyarados facing a Yanmega in the Subway. Yanmega used Swagger to confuse me folloewed by me using Substitute. then i hurt myself with confusion and went down to about 1/4 HP but my Gyarados's Sitrus Berry didn't activate. Next turn Yanmega used Psychic and Sitrus Berry activated. There seems to be a glitch to do with confusion and Sitrus Berry
Actually, judging from these messages, it sounds like Sitrus Berry no longer activates immediately; it sounds like it activates on the action right AFTER the Pokémon's HP drops to Sitrus Berry levels. Testing is required, though.

Actually, judging from these messages, it sounds like Sitrus Berry no longer activates immediately; it sounds like it activates on the action right AFTER the Pokémon's HP drops to Sitrus Berry levels. Testing is required, though.
The HP drop for Substitute occurred after the Sitrus Berry kicked in, though. The Sitrus Berry kicked in after the game said "The foe's Kingdra used Substitute!", but before the attack was actually carried out.

The HP drop for Substitute occurred after the Sitrus Berry kicked in, though. The Sitrus Berry kicked in after the game said "The foe's Kingdra used Substitute!", but before the attack was actually carried out.
I can corroborate this, the same thing happened to my Garchomp in GBU.
"Garchomp used Substitute" -> "Sitrus Berry restored HP" -> Loses HP and makes Sub.

I can corroborate this, the same thing happened to my Garchomp in GBU.
"Garchomp used Substitute" -> "Sitrus Berry restored HP" -> Loses HP and makes Sub.
That's weird in the Subway it goes "Gyarados used Substitute" -> Loses HP -> Sitrus Berry activates -> makes a Substitute

Don't know how important this is but Pursuit doesn't have an increased priority if used on an ally in Triple battles (I assume doubles as well). Don't know if this was present in previous generations either.

I believe that Sky Uppercut can hit a Pokémon using Sky Drop (but not sure). Also, you list "Gale" as one of the moves that can hit a Pokémon using Sky Drop. There is no such move as Gale. You are probably referring to Gust, or possibly Hurricane.

I'm pretty sure any move that can hit fliers can hit sky droppers and stuff being sky dropped. Also Gale was the fan-name for Hurricane before it was translated so I'm guessing that's what they meant. Though I'd imagine gust can hit too.

Eh, why not? I'm gonna go and confirm it right now.

EDIT: Yep, seems so. Specifically I tested Thunder/Hurricane/Sky Uppercut/Gust/Smack Down on both the user of Sky Drop AND the target of Sky Drop, and Twister on the target of Sky Drop. They all hit in each instance. The double damage thing for gust still works on Sky Drop too. Sadly I couldn't thoroughly check Twister's double damage because I can't aim it toward my Braviary.

All of this tested on my Black cart on my DS in double grass.

MB Espeon: I see you've tested already. I have done so too.

My description for Sky Drop reads in part: "While user is using this attack, user is unaffected by attacks other than Gust, Thunder, Twister, Sky Uppercut, Hurricane, and Smack Down; [and] opponent is unaffected by such attacks until opponent isn't active"

Pikiwyn:

Moreover, Pursuit affects only adjacent opposing Pokemon: "When an adjacent opposing Pokémon switches ... user uses this attack ... with its power doubled". Generation 4 is the same way: " When an opposing Pokémon switches ... user uses this attack", but not generation 3: "When opponent switches ... user uses this attack".

That's true: Wide Guard's effect works even in single battles; the only requirement is that the attack must be a "damaging attack[] ... with a target of 'all opposing Pokémon' or 'all non-users'".

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How does the critical hit chance work in gen 5? In generation 4, it was a stage-based system, where various items / abilities would give you a stage boost. Does generation 5 use the same system of boosts?

Question about using Entertainment and Regenerator in doubles/triples.......

If Audino w/ Regenerator ability uses Entertainment and targets it's own teammate, and Audino's teammate is either switched out, or forced out via Roar/Whirlwind/Dragon Tail/Circle Throw/Red Card/Eject Button, will the Entertainment induced Regenerator ability teammate gain 1/3 of it's HP back?

Joel:

Yes. Regenerator will work as long as the Pokemon currently has that Ability, not whether it originally did. (By the way, that's Entrainment, not Entertainment.)

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
In-game, if you use Embargo, the opposing trainer won't be able to use healing items on the current Pokémon. Yet, if you use Heal Block, the opposing trainer will be able to use them (say, a Full Restore) without penalty.

Is this the same case when using the Miracle Shooter / Wonder Launcher?

For Destiny Bond, the effect ends when the user takes its turn, even if the attack it would have used is prevented from being used by paralysis, confusion, and the like.

For Knock Off and Focus Band, yes, Focus Band can still work before Knock Off removes that item: "If ... damage ... would reduce holder's HP to less than 1, instead that damage reduces holder's HP to 1."

Heal Block doesn't prevent items from being used on the Pokemon under its effect, even if that item is a Potion or the like.
However, items used on the Pokemon (as opposed to held items) are exempt from Heal Block's effect.
Embargo's effect, on the other hand, reads, "For five rounds ... items can't be used on opponent", including so-called "healing items".

"Using an item with the Wonder Launcher is largely similar to using an item from the Bag", so there is no difference here.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I haven't seen this posted in the research thread yet, but Magic Guard does not block the Pokemon from being poisoned by Toxic Spikes (it did in 4th gen).

Tested against in-game wild Pokemon, using Skill Swap to get Magic Bounce on an enemy Pokemon to bounce back Toxic Spikes to my side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)