CAP 13 CAP 2 - Part 2 - Typing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm throwing my support whole heartedly behind Poison-Dragon. I thought of the typing this morning, and realized how it fits with the concept, and evidently I wasn't the only one. Defensively it works perfectly, giving no 4x weaks and one 4x resist, to Grass which isn't the most dominant offensive type in the metagame but a 4x resist is always helpful, as well as other helpful ones like Water and Fire. It also has 4 weaknesses, giving what I believe to be the right amount of difficulty balanced with offensive power.

Dragon is an incredible offensive type, and with Poison attached it gives great neutral coverage while still being stopped by Steels, promoting the creative use of Sketch. All in all I find it to be the perfect fit.

Ghost-Grass
is also a very pertinent idea, I feel like it adequately fills the same role, but Poison-Dragon has better neutral attacking coverage which is why I feel it's superior, and it has a clearer list of counters.

Normal-Ghost is a typing I want us to use eventually, I've had an art concept for it since I believe CaP 8, but I don't really see how it fits the concept.

With the discussion going about now, I think people are leaning into a couple different molds; Lots of support for Grass/Ghost and Poison/Dragon, with some on the fence about Water, Rock or specifically my thoughts of Steel.

Anyway, it looks like the bandwagon is a splent bench; I'm going to opt for my own typing(Water/Steel), because honestly I feel like it may very well work out, but if not Ghost/Grass, Grass/Rock or Poison/Dragon, I'd be happy with any of these.

Obviously, Grass has been discussed as a very large competitor. Honestly, though, I don't see it taking off as well as other typings: It's not quite defensive enough on it's own, and the common supported typing is Ghost/Grass; This would be an advantagous type for several reasons, as in the resistances granted allow it to switch in and set up. However, the setup possibilities may eb a bit too numerous. Honestly, I like it though, and I'll throw a bit of support.

Poison/Dragon is an interesting typing available, and honestly... A poisonous dragon artist? That's one BAMF! But seriously, it would give it hefty options in the common problems it normally achieves. ALSO; It resists common Priority, and can it back with it's typical STAB. But, yeah. *Tosses bag of support*

Personally, my opinion's best running typings are Poison/Dragon, Ghost/Grass, Ghost/Rock and Water/Steel, in no particular order.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My problem with Poison/Dragon is that Dragon on its own suggests that it can learn Fire moves and Earthquake, leaving less room for creativity with Sketch. The only two exceptions to this rule are Kingdra (it's a seahorse, I mean come on) and Haxorus (which still gets EQ). Poison is almost a useless STAB and would rarely see use.

I like Normal/Ghost. Normal's strongest moves all have drawbacks, and Ghost's only move over 80 BP is Shadow Force. Additionally, the typing has an incredibly high defensive rating. Normal and Ghost aren't great STABs on their own or together, meaning that some creativity with Sketch is required for a strong offensive set. Normal/Ghost is immune to the "perfect coverage" Ghost/Fighting, leaving Pokemon such as Gengar and Cofagrigus with another move or completely obsolete.

/rant

EDIT: It's also a spinblocker that can spin, I guess that's cool.

Imho the type should be either Normal/Psychic, Normal/Water or Normal/Ghost.

Normal/Psychic: The main benefit here is only two weaknesses, but it literally only has 1 resistance. This could be a decent, but not great typing for a 'mon tryng to be bulky.
Offence-wise, the STAB combo leaves much to be desired, but a strong Sketched Fighting type move would solve many problems there.
Flavor-wise, this type is a great choice. The very definition of the tortured/secluded artist...

Normal/Water: The neutral coverage Water and Normal get are almost amazing, being resisted by only a handful of type combos.
Defensively, it's also passable with 3 weaknesses, 4 resistances and the Ghost immunity.
Again, this type also has a good amount of flavor-coherency as a "Watercolor" Pokemon.

Normal/Ghost: For the stated reasons along with the fact that it fits well for flavor. Ghost Painter?

P.S.: I realize I'm mentioning flavor in what is essentially a competitive discussion, but I really believe the type needs to make sense for this concept. As much as I'd love to see a Poison/Dragon type, try to logically justify why that kind of Pokemon would be drawing its foes.

P.S.S: If I see "Logic=/=Pokemon, hurr hurr," I'm smacking some bitches.

So we don't wander around in circles for this whole thread, I want to discuss the things I really like and the things I really don't like.
Things I like :)
I believe that CAP 2 needs a strong STAB. I do not want it to have two strong STABs, however, and would actually prefer if the two STABs did not complement each other particularly well. You may ask me why I would choose to intentionally gimp the typing like that, but I think you all know. Sketch is a powerful weapon, but I really want to encourage CAP 2 to have the possibility of using Sketch for a coverage move. Be this Sacred Fire or Bolt Strike or whatever, I think making players choose between an equally valuable coverage move or a powerful setup move is a good plan.

I also feel that CAP 2 needs to at least be moderately bulky as an extension of its typing so that we can avoid giving it absurd stat-wise bulk down the road. For this reason, I think the secondary type should be something that works decently, but not necessarily the best, defensively. It should open up a few weaknesses, and add a few resistances, but otherwise it should maintain the primary features of the main type without changing too vastly the way it plays.

This is why currently I strongly favor the proposed typings of Grass / Ghost and Poison / Dragon. The strong STAB in each is Grass and Dragon. I say that Grass is a strong STAB because OU is not really built with handling versatile Grass-types in mind, and many teams are very vulnerable to Grass-type attacks. Ghost-type complements it well by not hurting Grass's resistances to Water-, Electric-, and Ground-type attacks, while adding useful resistances and immunities and indeed its own weaknesses to Dark- and Ghost-type attacks. Poison / Dragon is similar, with Dragon being a very powerful STAB to have, while Poison really doesn't help it get by Steels any easier. Poison offers a handy immunity to poison and resistance to Fighting-type attacks, but adds its own weakness to Ground as well! See what I mean? If you can create a typing that thinks like these, it may also catch my fancy.

The other real reason I like the attacking types of Grass and Dragon is that they both appreciate the powerful coverage moves that Sketch can provide. This means that when we get to movepool, we can force players to choose between Sketching a powerful coverage move or a powerful boosting move. That choice, given it is balanced as best as it can be, will be a powerful instrument in teaching us about the concept.
Things I don't like :(
Water-type

The Water-type is overly prevalent in OU and very well-prepared for. This isn't the main reason I don't like it, though. The primary issue I have with it is two-fold: The Water-type is a very powerful attacking and defending type, which is a bit too helpful alongside other types or with Sketch in tow. Secondly, and most importantly, is that the Water-type is directly boosted by rain, which leads CAP 2 to abuse its typing and consequently Sketch far more predictably than it should.

Fire-type

The Fire-type is actually a really good offensive choice for CAP 2, though I find it to be a little too good. I say this because among the best moves to Sketch is Sacred Fire, which with STAB becomes the move of choice to Sketch on sets. I don't like how this makes Sketch really linear in its use, and so I don't particularly like this type for CAP 2. Oh, and as if that weren't enough, I really don't think we want a sun-boosted type as our primary STAB.

Bug-type

Really, this would be a great choice for secondary typing to a powerful attacking type since it resists Fighting and Ground, but it suffers from that nasty SR weakness that we have to account for. I hate being "that guy" that doesn't like a type because of a weakness to SR, but CAP 2 needs to be coming in neutral to SR so that it gets room to operate. For this reason, I consider the Poison typing always a better choice over the Bug type for CAP 2.

----

As an aside, after reading the arguments for Normal / Ghost presented by Deck and after thinking a bit, I can nearly see the purpose of it. Ghost / Fighting would be the optimal coverage, but you'd have to either use Sketch for your Fighting-type move, or rely on Hidden Power. To that extent, the Normal-type actually functions as the defensive typing I ask for. Still, the major problem is that every Fighting-type in OU outside of the rare Mienshao either carries Dark-type coverage (Conkeldurr, Scrafty, Lucario) or has a secondary STAB that hits Normal / Ghost neutrally (Terrakion, Virizion, Infernape). That means that outside of Gengar (which, admittedly, is really good), there are few real opportunities for a Normal / Ghost to do anything. This is in contrast to Grass / Ghost, where Grass's resistances give it solid switch-ins against many popular Pokemon (like Rotom-W and Starmie packing weak HPFire for Ferry!), and where Ghost's resistances are in addition to those of Grass. Normal just doesn't offer that to Ghost.

Oh also, I really think the Electric-type might be worth looking into here. I haven't seen any really convincing posts yet, but I think Electric typing as the attacking STAB with something else for the defensive might be really nice. Electric / Poison compounds the Ground-type weakness (Don't pray for Levitate), but is a bit interesting. Some discussion there might be worth having!

My problem with Poison/Dragon is that Dragon on its own suggests that it can learn Fire moves and Earthquake, leaving less room for creativity with Sketch. The only two exceptions to this rule are Kingdra (it's a seahorse, I mean come on) and Haxorus (which still gets EQ). Poison is almost a useless STAB and would rarely see use.

I like Normal/Ghost. Normal's strongest moves all have drawbacks, and Ghost's only move over 80 BP is Shadow Force. Additionally, the typing has an incredibly high defensive rating. Normal and Ghost aren't great STABs on their own or together, meaning that some creativity with Sketch is required for a strong offensive set. Normal/Ghost is immune to the "perfect coverage" Ghost/Fighting, leaving Pokemon such as Gengar and Cofagrigus with another move or completely obsolete.

/rant
Just because it has Dragon typing doesn't dictate what it receives in it's movepool, that's for us to decide. It wont necessarily get Earthquake or Fire Moves, even though most Dragons do. The typing itself is what counts here, not what the stereotype created by previous Pokemon.

I would like to submit Poison/Steel for consideration. I realize it may be a somewhat unorthodox suggestion but in light of our concept, I think it will really encourage creative and varied uses of the Sketch slot.

We've decided on bulky offense. Poison and Steel get an unceasingly bad rap as offensive types, but I think this is principally because, collectively, they hit only three types super effectively. I agree that super effectiveness is always highly desirable, but aside from that they honestly aren't that terrible. Look at Dragon: it only hits itself for super effective damage, but is agreed to be one of the premier attacking types. This idea is somewhat similar to the Poison/Dragon suggestion but forgoes the massive power for more defensive bulk, type-wise. Defensively it is immune to Poison, resists ten types (including a 4x resistance to Bug and Grass) and is weak to Fire and very weak to Ground. Rock, Ice, and Grass are hit super effectively with STAB. All Steels resist it, and notable Pokemon that resist it are Jellicent, Swampert, Gastrodon, Tentacruel, and Quagsire. Obviously it isn't "perfect" by any means, but that isn't the point. The idea is for the player to be creative in how to get past these shortcomings. I've made the observation that I want the Sketch slot to be something other than Spore, and this typing would do that. No single other move will create perfect coverage, but do we really want to make something that is an absolute monster? It should have limitations that prevent it from becoming too powerful, and I think a seemingly odd typing like this will force people to be innovative in making it a threat.

I would like to nominate Ice/Ground for the dual typing.

ICE - Very powerful attack type, although most pokemon lack the STAB benefit, due to it being weak defensively and scarce in the metagame. However, Ice is very potent for the few things that it does, such as completing the bolt/beam combo. Ice kills dragons, which are a large dominating force in the metagame, from Dragonite, latios, hydriegon, etc.. Ice kills flying and ground type pokemon as well as rarer grass types. It is a good offensive type.

GROUND - Due to wanting balance, ground is for a defensive siding. It negates the stealth rock weakness, which is much appreciated, and holds the boon of being immune to electric attacks and the common thunder wave. This is greatly useful due to the fact that speed would most possibly be the most useful stat for sketchmon, because it needs to hit first to deliver it's unique move, which is the entire concept of the CAP, and gives it an edge over other pokemon. Ground is also a good defensive typing overall, with pokemon such as hippowdon and water/ground's that are quite bulky.

Together I believe that Ice/Ground provides a very useful typing to the bulky offense point of this CAP's concept, and allows into the game a seldom seen typing that has the ability to succeed.

what about rock\ghost?
ghost can get rid of the fighting weakness rock has and rock is a great offensive STAB to have. But it still has some problems like that that baring sketch moves many steel types wall it like ferrothorn and it still has weaknesses to many common types like ground, water and dark to name a few so its possible to work around.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I look at Bulky Offense like this: something that can take hits and possibly heal, but, more importantly, can't OHKO everything without significant boosts due to par STAB and coverage. Conkeldurr is an example of this; Conkeldurr has Fighting STAB, but Pokemon such as Skarmory and even Scizor still stop it because their typing isn't weak to Fighting--Conkeldurr needs boosts to win reliably. Therefore, I think a Poison / Ground typing is good for CaP2. Poison / Ground has good coverage together: Ground takes Steel, Rock, and Poison, while Poison takes Bug and Grass. However, if you look at some Pokemon--Scizor, Ferrothorn, etc.--you see that CaP2 can't actually hit them super effectively with STAB.

This basically requires CaP2 to be played as bulky offense, attaining some kind if boost to break through these Pokemon, and using a Sketched move to take care of a troubling opponent. Furthermore, the defensive typing fits with the idea. Ground implies good Defense, and a resistance to Stealth Rock is nice. Weakness to Ground is obviously a flaw, but Pokemon such as Heatran can still work around that. Water and Ice weaknesses aren't big either; we see that Fire-types can not mind Water, and Dragon-types similarly for Ice. Psychic is hardly problematic IMO, since you only have to watch out for Pokemon with such STAB. Like other bulky offense veterans, having bland resistances is not devastating, and it shouldn't be for CaP2 either.

Asylum_Rhapsody

Normal/Psychic: ... Flavor-wise, this type is a great choice. The very definition of the tortured/secluded artist...

Normal/Water: ... Again, this type also has a good amount of flavor-coherency as a "Watercolor" Pokemon.

Normal/Ghost: For the stated reasons along with the fact that it fits well for flavor. Ghost Painter?

P.S.: I realize I'm mentioning flavor in what is essentially a competitive discussion, but I really believe the type needs to make sense for this concept. As much as I'd love to see a Poison/Dragon type, try to logically justify why that kind of Pokemon would be drawing its foes.
I said this in my first post, but I think that it bears repeating:
Flavor-wise, remember that Sketch is NOT a normal part of this Pokemon's move list. It's an egg move and should therefore NOT be central to this Pokemon's identity from a flavor perspective. This Pokemon's typing and basic concepts need not and indeed should not have much of anything to do with sketching or painting or being an artist or anything else of the sort.

That's not to say that we can't try to justify typing by considering the concept, though. For example, Water typing could be conceptually justified if we were to go with something like a Octopus Pokemon, being noted for using using ink and just having Sketch incidentally being a new way for it to use that ink. I don't like this idea specifically, the cephalopd design because that's been done by a past CAP or the Water typing because of what Rising_Dusk already said about it being too good of a type both offensively and defensively.

Right now, I'm personally leaning toward Grass / Ghost typing. I think that Rising_Dusk made a very good case for it. The only thing that makes me hesitant to fully support it, though, is that Ghost typing has already been done for a couple of CAPs before (though I guess it's still not nearly as bad as Fighting). I'm not sure whether that's considered good reasoning, but I feel like CAP should want to do something new.

About Normal/Ghost: On set-up sweeper sets, the only ones that are really viable (because it is walled by steels and has weak physical ghost attacks) being specially based, it is basically force to run Normal/Ghost/HPFire, because of the ubiquity of itself in its own metagame (which walls HPFight coverage & its STABs), meaning more stuff, like Ttar and Heatran, wall it. I don't like the idea of being unable to deal with TTar is a good idea for a poke that is pursuit weak, and I think being Pursuit weak is going to put its own limitations on the CAP; all-out attacking sets favouring V-Create or Close Combat, or Spore Sets, I can see greatly overshadowing set-up sweepers. Other than that I think it's a good typing: great neutral coverage, walled by enough things to really make that final moveslot count. I don't want to put too much emphasis on the set-up moves CAP2 has access to, but it should be able to use them at least some of the time!

I'd also like to continue to express a kind of disdain for general Grass-type support. In terms of offensive, neutral coverage, grass, of course, provides very little - relying on a secondary STAB and Hidden Power not only reduces the power of its attacks, but also means the only boosting sets viable are special-types. Other main arguments for grass-types seem to be that it can use the wide attacking movepool of the CAP very well - or, that it can use all those souped-up fire moves for decent SE coverage with its STAB, maybe substituted with an Ice move every now and then. But if this is the reason for choosing Grass - that the strongest attacking moves Sketch provides are synergetic with it - then I don't see why Dragon, Normal, Electric, Ghost etc aren't being more seriously considered as well. All these types can gain great SE and great neutral coverage with all those V-Creates and Hi Jump Kicks, and can probably use CAP2's wide attacking movepool far more effectively and unpredictably than Grass can, because they have great neutral coverage to begin with. Finally, there's the argument of Grass's defenses, which, while certainly able to occupy a niche on almost every team, provide so many weaknesses that bulky sets or bulky boosting sets become unviable, and of Grass's epic movepool, which should have no bearing on the typing discussion at all, flavour be damned. If you can consider putting Sketch on a Grass/Ghost type, you can consider putting Synthesis on an Electric/Poison type (for example). I know (as Dusk put it) I'm basically the most broken of broken records right now, but I do feel the general grass consensus really needs to be reconsidered in favour of more effective types. Even when using a typing like Grass/Ghost, which is pretty decent all-around, I fell that it's really just the ghost typing that's supporting the concept, and the grass typing that's dragging it down.

I'd like to express continuing support for Ghost in particular, as well as Electric, Normal and Dragon. Poison/Dragon sounds like a decent contender at this stage, as does anything Ghost.

@ a few typings expressed recently; Ice/Ground hits too many things SE, Steel/Poison has no coverage whatsoever and will remove any offensive capability, Ice/Poison is awesome but not relevant to the concept - and Ice, while good in some offensive scenarios, has pretty poor neutral coverage.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As an aside, after reading the arguments for Normal / Ghost presented by Deck and after thinking a bit, I can nearly see the purpose of it. Ghost / Fighting would be the optimal coverage, but you'd have to either use Sketch for your Fighting-type move, or rely on Hidden Power. To that extent, the Normal-type actually functions as the defensive typing I ask for. Still, the major problem is that every Fighting-type in OU outside of the rare Mienshao either carries Dark-type coverage (Conkeldurr, Scrafty, Lucario) or has a secondary STAB that hits Normal / Ghost neutrally (Terrakion, Virizion, Infernape). That means that outside of Gengar (which, admittedly, is really good), there are few real opportunities for a Normal / Ghost to do anything. This is in contrast to Grass / Ghost, where Grass's resistances give it solid switch-ins against many popular Pokemon (like Rotom-W and Starmie packing weak HPFire for Ferry!), and where Ghost's resistances are in addition to those of Grass. Normal just doesn't offer that to Ghost.

Oh also, I really think the Electric-type might be worth looking into here. I haven't seen any really convincing posts yet, but I think Electric typing as the attacking STAB with something else for the defensive might be really nice. Electric / Poison compounds the Ground-type weakness (Don't pray for Levitate), but is a bit interesting. Some discussion there might be worth having!
I think we're overly worried about Sketch and we're discounting the fact the CAP will indeed get some moves other than its STABs, Sketch, and Hidden Power. Even something as lowly as Brick Break easily fulfulls the coverage requirement we're going for here without using HP or Sketch. What I really like about Normal/Ghost is that it can do really nasty things if it either a) has Disable alone or b) uses Sketch for it.

The other thing is the role of Bulky Offense is helped by having few weaknesses. While the list of resistances is not particularly impressive, remember that this has access to several powerful defensive boosters in Coil and Quiver Dance, and if we build support functions into its movepool like Circle Throw or Dragon Tail, the only type we'll ever have to worry about hitting CAP 2 for SE damage is Dark.

The point being, I see your vision, but I don't know how a high-risk, high reward style of typing with very common weaknesses to high BP attacks (Fire Blast and Hurricane in Grass' case, Earthquake and Draco Meteor in Poison/Dragon's case) is the right way to go with a Pokemon that can use any of the strongest boosting moves in the game.

I think the example I'm going to stick with for this vision is Sub/Disable Gengar. It can come in on an immune attack, set up its Sub, then Disable the one remaining attack an opponent has that can hit it. If, and this is a very big if, if somehow Gengar could also boost and use its last slot as a mono-attack, it'd be very dangerous. Tail Glow + Shadow Ball certainly provides that, since only Normal is immune to it, and as can be seen in the posts "lol Normal that is a bad type." Even Tail Glow + Tri Attack or Hyper Voice would work. Ghosts are immune to it and there are rocks and steels, but then, none of those can hit our mon SE, and they have to duke it out with neutral attacks.

Mostly I just want us, since this is still in the early stages, to stretch a little bit further beyond STABs + Sketch + Hidden Power = movepool for our assumptions in how our type will interact with the metagame.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Water/Flying is the way to go. Remember Gyarados? Yeah, arguably the best Bulky Sweeper in the game. Take away Intimidate and give it Quiver Dance, Curse, or literally any move you can think of (via sketch egg move).

I think the secondary type should be something that works decently, but not necessarily the best, defensively. It should open up a few weaknesses, and add a few resistances, but otherwise it should maintain the primary features of the main type without changing too vastly the way it plays.
This is why I feel Poison/Ice would suit CAP 2 down to a tee.
Ice complements poison perfectly, allowing it additional STAB on Grass types but also allowing it a check to Ground types that might like to take advantage but still leaving it with some key weaknesses to fire, rock, steel and psychic.

However the use of sketch can help it's overcome these weaknesses with additional coverage moves or defense boosts or even a status or phazing move.
Everyone will underestimate it due to it's Ice typing and then it will be like "oh, look what I drew!" and thus the concept will be realised.

While I really have no experience with the metagame, I think that Ghost provides a good defensive type as it provides 2 immunities and a few resistances, while most types are neutral. It also doesn't give any good STAB attacks besides Shadow Force, Shadow Ball, and Shadow Claw, one of which would take up the sketch slot.

I also agree with http://www.smogon.com/forums/member.php?u=79166Temperantia that we should choose types that could provide a logical design for the CAPmon.

It's been really great following the arguments for this CAP so far. My personal opinion at this stage is that the CAP should not have an overpowering attacking type combination, and that the defensive performance of the typing is more important to give it opportunities to switch in or roles it could potentially fill in a team (which, if the CAP is successful should be numerous and somewhat unpredictable).

For this reason I think Poison is a great suggestion because it has interesting resistances and it absorbs TSpikes which is always a useful niche to have, but at the same time it does have common weaknesses and offensively it is not great which means whatever powerful and versatile moves that are Sketched will most likely not have STAB.

The other type that really interests me is Normal. This typing would give the CAP a solid neutral STAB to attack with (a very good STAB in fact), but it will not have the luxury of SE hits thus giving a nice balance of advantage and disadvantage to choosing and using it. Normal is also a type that has many interesting attacking options that could allow the freedom and unpredictability that we are looking to achieve, as Deck Knight pointed out earlier: Fake Out, Espeed, Explosion, Tri Attack, Head Charge, Facade and more all have great potential to allow it to fill different roles. Most of these attacks have suffered from a lack of viable STAB users in OU which has limited their use and potential so that would open up opportunities to explore and experiment with the possibilities of the extremely unique and versatile Normal movepool.

Normal not only gives us options offensively but it helps with balance in both departments. It does not have any resistances to take advantage of (which is a selling point for me) but a useful immunity which can be carefully taken advantage of, and it has a dangerous weakness to Fighting.

I currently favour a Normal/Poison typing for the CAP. This keeps it relatively modest offensively while giving it exploitable resistances and weaknesses defensively. Normal STAB has a fantastically versatile movepool to explore while not being overpowering and absorbing TSpikes will almost ensure that it will be a welcome consideration for a team. I think overall it would be easier to balance if it doesn't have STAB on a powerful offensive type while also giving it interesting defensive niches.

The thing that worries me slightly about Electric is the resistance to Bullet Punch, which could mean one fewer check to a Sketch Shell Smash set. Then again, it's not like Steel or Water, both of which resist other priority moves in addition (especially ExtremeSpeed for the former...), so I'm not as resistant (lol sorry) to the idea of Electric as I might have been a few hours ago.

I also might as well mention some more typings that are similar to Ghost/Grass and Poison/Dragon, since, well, they're worth mentioning:

Dragon/Psychic
Ghost/Dragon
Grass/Psychic

OK, all of these are weak against Dark and that's bad and stuff. However, all of these typings have demonstrated that they can pull off bulky offense well (albeit with legendary BSTs) and they are similar to the currently preferred typings in a lot of ways. Dragon/Psychic has a fairly well-defined offensive/defensive combo, and it has its advantages and disadvantages compared to Poison/Dragon, to the point that I'm not sure one really outclasses the other. Ghost/Dragon is pretty similar, though I guess this puts in two great offensive STABs, making it less desirable. Grass/Psychic is probably compared best with Grass/Ghost, and Ghost being a better sweeping STAB probably places it above Psychic.

Just throwing crap at a wall here to see if it sticks, but given that RD's pointed out the merits of Dragon and Grass, why not combine the two? Here's a few pros and cons associated with a Dragon/Grass typing:

Pros:
-Decent STABs, and Sketch helps grant coverage
-Three 4x resistances (Water, Grass, Electric)
-2x resists Ground
-Strong potential movepool options

Cons:
-4x weak to Ice
-Few strong non-Dragon moves
-Might be awkward to implement flavorwise

Any comments?

I would like to see more Psychic, it's neutral to almost every type while maintaining an awesome neutrality to SR, and really, the only pokes from which it should worry about are Tar, Scizor and Gengar, they can all be dealt with a the right Sketch, and if you combine it with Fighting he becomes neutral to them (and hits Gengar SE anyway) Psychic/Fighting also has a nice neutral coverage, while still having ressistances to common offensive types (fighting and rock, oh the perfect terrakion counter?) with his STABs being ressisted by every psychic type in OU and pokes like Sableye, this also lets him go a bit mixed with stuff like Psystrike (if sketched), Psyshock, Focus Blast, Psyquic, Aura Sphere, Close Combat, HJK, etc... and remains with problems with common pokes accoring to the Sketched move it chooses to run.

Psychic/Water is also a nice type thanks to Psyquic making water more vulnerable, but still having some great ressists (it would be the only Shell Smasher to ressist BP an MP) and being ressist by few but solid pokes in OU that should be adressed either by a Sketched coverage or whatever coverage we decide to give him, and the potential of the awesome support movepool of Psyquic Types (screens, recover, rooms, trick, etc...)

I think it's better to consider all the really cool and interesting possibilities than it is to be overly cautious and pick something "safe" and boring. Isn't the point of CAP, especially this CAP, to consider possibilities and make something that's never been seen before? We shouldn't try to limit CAP2's possibilities this early on. Balance can come later.

im thinking along the lines of a dragon/poison typing. just because i think it could work well as a bulky offensive kind of type.

i just think this is the type to go for because it wouldhave access to both dragon dance and acid armor, and any move to couple those amazing stat boosts. maybe is all im saying, and i know it would just gain extra weaknesses, 2 of them being really common, but it would be unique type. unrivaled in offensive and defensive capabilities. you want bulky offense, give it a the standard bulky Ddance set, and youre golden.
but it has its downsides, 1 of them being, weaknesses. it has 4 of the most common weaknesses, and because of this, i fear it may be shuned without review

edit: NINJA'D!

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Man, I keep either coming late or totally missing these discussion. Not ok schoolwork, let me relax and create a new pokemon!

Anyway after reading all the discussion(really awesome) I'd like to throw my full support behind Grass/Ghost.

Why Grass should be chosen: Grass is, or was, always considered a pretty poor offensive typing. The pokemon it came with often tended to not be incredibly offensive; it has common resists and fairly weak move choices. But in the fifth generation Grass has seen a huge change in outlook. With so many team packing Water, Rock and Ground pokemon(Ahh weather) Grass is now a very potent offensive typing; just ask Virizion, Celebi or Breloom. Now while it has become more common to run Grass type 'mons or just Grass type moves(to get rid of Gastro/Quag) Grass still suffers from it's old weaknesses. I think Grass is a wonderful typing that would fit perfectly with Sketch because it would possess a potent yet not overpowering stab to match with it's Sketched move of choice.

Why Ghost should be chosen: Ghost is a type who's benefits we all know and love. Numerous immunities and that precious spinblocking along with great neutral coverage. Why do I think Ghost makes a perfect dual type with grass? Because it can provide that neutral coverage that this 'mon would die for. Plus in my opinion it would not be overpowering; Ghost typing is relatively neutral all around, besides the immunity to Normal and Fighting it offers little defensive qualities and while it gets great neutral coverage it's SE coverage is a little lacking.

Anyway that's why I think Grass/Ghost would be awesome. I feel I may be rambling so I'm gunna stop and collect my thoughts a little :)

I like the idea of Poison/Dragon. With its somewhat usable resistances yet weakness to common attacking types, plus poison immunity and tSpikes absorption, it'll give the CaP a chance to strut its sketchy stuff whilst still having to be weary of certain Pokémon. Depending on its movepool it also gives sketch a nice purpose in helping coverage due to the lack of it from STAB. Of course it'll get non-STAB moves but if it wants a powerful one it'll likely have to use sketch.

I thought I'd compose a list of resistances for what seem to be the two most popular type combos.

Dragon/Poison resists:
bug
fighting
grass(4x)
poison
electric
fire
water

Grass/Ghost resists:
electric
grass
ground
water
fighting (immunity)
bug
normal (immunity)
poison

LouisCyphre made this post which has the STAB coverage of both typings. Taking both of these into account, I'm hesitantly throwing my support behind Dragon/Poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)