np: UU Stage 3 - We Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, Contraire. Hippowdon is like someone who is kind of awkward, but when he is around his friends (Clefable, to name one), he is pretty cool, and invites everyone out for pizza after him and his Magic Guard girlfriend have just walled the entire sans-Focus Blast metagame and allowed for a Rhyperior or Stoutland sweep. He'll invite Alakazam to dinner too, because none of those Focus Blast bullies care to mess with him. Since Psyshock is seldom seen in Hippowdon's neighbourhUUd, his wallage is seldom inhibited. His little bro, Hippopotas, is competent, but will always be hurt by the fact that his family and teachers have to shove Eviolite up his butt every morning to get him to function, and Hippowdon eats all the Leftovers so he can't have any. Hippopotas is too puny (only one pore) to actually attack anything, so he has to resort to Toxic to actually hurt anything. Everything about him screams "STEEL TYPE SWITCH IN NOW!" Hippopotas is not very bulky, and can't revenge kill really, really, really slow Pokémon the way his brother can. To put it simply, Hippowdon is not broken. Roserade tears his sand gushing ass apart. Frequently. Like every day. And we are talking about the most used Pokémon in UU. Being pwnd by #1 makes you NEVER broken. Hippopotas should be moved down to BLII because he is so weak.

In regards to megathread activity: there was little because most of us think that a hippo ban is trivial. I won't repeat the same mistake again.

Hippowdon is a tricky pokemon to evaluate. It plays two major roles: countering nearly every physical attacker that can’t hit it with a super effective attack and providing sand stream support as a direct way of supporting Stoutland. With phazing, recovery, and a high attack stat, Hippowdon is difficult to set up on. Hippowdon is broken in UU because both roles have significant detrimental effects on the metagame, and a ban on Hippowdon is the best way to fix both.

Make no mistake; Hippowdon walls nearly every physical attacker in UU, the only exceptions being super effective hits and outrageously strong CB attacks from pokemon like Heracross. Even adamant Darmanitan can’t break Hippowdon. The difference between Hippowdon and other walls such as Cresselia is that Hippowdon is not easily exploitable. With a high attack stat, a solid movepool, reliable recovery, and phazing, Hippowdon is both difficult to switch into and difficult to set up on. A high number of powerful special attackers in UU can’t comfortably come in on Earthquake, and Hippowdon can run a very viable specially defensive spread that allows it to take on pokemon like Alakazam and Chandelure in exchange for losing the ability to counter unboosted Darmanitan. Hippowdon reminds me of Chansey, except that Hippowdon can both phaze and actually attack. Judging solely on its ability to wall such a significant portion of the metagame alone, Hippowdon is an elite UU wall.

Although it is certainly not broken itself, sandstorm as a passive effect should not be ignored when discussing Hippowdon. By virtue of being a great pokemon, Hippowdon has made sandstorm a common field condition. This was not true with Hippopotas because it was a bad pokemon and therefore very rare. Sandstorm as a common field condition in UU, however, restricts the number of viable strategies in UU and decreases diversity. Life Orb sweepers without recovery are virtually dead, as the benefits of using LO are in every case outweighed by the fact that the pokemon in question is suicidal. For example, LO Raikou can break through the bulky ground types that normally haunt it, but losing the extra 6.25% health per turn makes it a clearly inferior set in practice. A larger concern, and one that should receive more attention, is sand making rendering many recovery moves moot. This heavily detracts from the metagame, as many pokemon that would otherwise range from viable to key staples in the metagame. Pokemon like Arcanine could be centerpieces of this metagame, and pokemon like Tangrowth could be viable physical walls, but sand renders them completely unviable. Again, I’m not arguing that these factors solely warrant a ban on sand, just that they contribute to the big picture.

Alright, now for the big issue: Stoutland. Anybody who plays UU for a day can tell that Hippowdon + Stoutland is a broken combination. Stoutland has good natural bulk and spams a type with good neutral coverage, and can even switch in safely and pursuit the ghosts who would stop it. This makes a team of offensive pokemon unviable without using one of the precious few rocks / steels that actually check Stoutland. The top of the ladder reflects this, with every team either being a sand clone or carrying one of the precious few Stoutland checks. The silver lining is that for the most part, bulky rocks and steels stop Stoutland cold. This would make it risky to use a sand team in UU; much like rain dance teams, you would be removing skill from the match in order to play a match that was almost entirely decided by team matchup. This is why rain dance teams do not work well on the ladder, and it is the risk that balances out the power of Stoutland. However, with Hippowdon, this silver lining disappears. Every bulky rock / steel that makes a good check to Stoutland is dealt with quite easily by Hippowdon. Cobalion, Bisharp, most Rhyperior, Registeel, etc. are all hard countered by Hippowdon. This removes the inherient risk that should be associated with using a sandstorm team and is not a balanced strategy. By contrast, Hippopotas actually loses to pokemon like SD Cobalion and is easily exploited. Therefore, banning Hippowdon but allowing Hippopotas to stay would balance out sand.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Another important thing about those calcs, Heysup, is that you decided to factor in a Pokemon that doesn't actually check Stoutland, like Heracross. Cobalion also can't 2HKO Hippowdon with Close Combat, as the defense drop ensures it will die to the first Earthquake. Two Swords Dances won't make up for that damage either, leaving Hippowdon to easily 2HKO with Earthquake.

The reason I usually don't bring Spikes into arguments is because while it is a popular strategy in this metagame, every decent player will be carrying either a Xatu or Rapid Spinner to prevent it. There's no telling who will win out in the end. And assuming Sand teams can use Spikes as well makes it a lot more dangerous than a non-weather balanced offensive team could ever be. This only further reinforces the idea that Sand teams are just better than your average team and Hippowdon is mostly to blame for that. Nothing else gives us a stupidly fast effective sweeper and punishes its counters as hard as he does.

it is almost likely to be BL - this is looks likely with a majority of BL votes. what we are doing is posting our reasons why for the uu community (and we will be sure to try and work more in the megathread throughout the next one)

wait i'm a little confused. Is hippowdon BL, or are people arguing that it should be?
No, it should be BL, but it's not yet.

Back to the topic... Weavile, azelf and dusclops should be BL.
Weavile: unless you a priority move(especially Mach Punch), if he grabbed a Swords Dance, you're pretty much doomed. He's also extremely fast.
Azelf: I hate azelf with a passion everytime I use uu teams. He's ridiculously powerful with nasty plot, and he has good defenses for a sweeper.
Dusclops: With eviolite, dusclops becomes an evil annoying pokemon that can only be stopped by chansey and some fire-types(most dusclops carry will-o-wisp). also, due to Dusclops's low HP, Pain split screws you over.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah guys our next suspect discussion should be over Dusclops.

Regarding big hippo v. baby hippo, I don't think calculations really convey the level of difference here - you could have said something similar for Abomasnow v. Snover in Gen IV, but hail was obviously much more manageable once we moved Abomasnow to BL. Yeah Evolite didn't exist back then, but it's still a very pertinent point.

The simple fact is that, in standard battle conditions, big hippo does much, much more to help the team. It doesn't roll over and die to a special attack, it can handle physical threats who don't use boosting items much easier, it's actually a threatening offensive presence...cherry picking three or four calcs doesn't change all that.

That said, I'm not convinced that a BL decision is as clear-cut as many people are making it. We know that big Hippo is a much better Pokemon than little hippo, but I'm still not convinced that this pushes sand over the edge into "overcentralizing" territory. Hell, I was really successful using a team that had no normal resists for a while (although that I retired that team for unrelated reasons).

Another important thing about those calcs, Heysup, is that you decided to factor in a Pokemon that doesn't actually check Stoutland, like Heracross. Cobalion also can't 2HKO Hippowdon with Close Combat, as the defense drop ensures it will die to the first Earthquake. Two Swords Dances won't make up for that damage either, leaving Hippowdon to easily 2HKO with Earthquake.
I decided to factor in a powerful common Choice Band user that jumped out at me because of its damage range. The other 2 are both very effective checks to Stoutland.

As for your theory about Cobalion vs Hippowdon: it can just use Iron Head + Close Combat to beat Hippowdon. However, even if this Cobalion doesn't carry Iron Head, 2 Swords Dances make Close Combat deal 90.95% - 107.14%. With hazards on the field, I'd take that bet.

I don't know why I'm wasting time on this, because Cobalion can just CC and switch out because of how non threatening Hippowdon is even with his improved attack from Hippopotas.

Yeah guys our next suspect discussion should be over Dusclops.

Regarding big hippo v. baby hippo, I don't think calculations really convey the level of difference here - you could have said something similar for Abomasnow v. Snover in Gen IV, but hail was obviously much more manageable once we moved Abomasnow to BL. Yeah Evolite didn't exist back then, but it's still a very pertinent point.

The simple fact is that, in standard battle conditions, big hippo does much, much more to help the team. It doesn't roll over and die to a special attack, it can handle physical threats who don't use boosting items much easier, it's actually a threatening offensive presence...cherry picking three or four calcs doesn't change all that.

That said, I'm not convinced that a BL decision is as clear-cut as many people are making it. We know that big Hippo is a much better Pokemon than little hippo, but I'm still not convinced that this pushes sand over the edge into "overcentralizing" territory. Hell, I was really successful using a team that had no normal resists for a while (although that I retired that team for unrelated reasons).
I don't think Abomsnow and Snover are really analogous to Hippowdon and Hippopotas simply because of the nature of Eviolite and each of the Pokemon. I'm sure we can both agree that Abomasnow is significantly more offensive than Hippowdon. Eviolite makes the Defensiveness/Special Defensiveness gap a lot smaller than the offensive one.

Abomasnow has absurdly powerful Blizzards and Wood Hammer, as well as powerful Ice Shard to cause shit for faster Pokemon. Snover can't do that. Hippowdon sets up Stealth Rock and switches into physical attackers that it can wall. Hippopotas can do a lot of that. Hippowdon's Attack is important, but the improvement to Abomsnow's Attack / Special Attack makes a significantly larger difference than Hippowdon's.

No, it should be BL, but it's not yet.

Back to the topic... Weavile, azelf and dusclops should be BL.
Weavile: unless you a priority move(especially Mach Punch), if he grabbed a Swords Dance, you're pretty much doomed. He's also extremely fast.
Azelf: I hate azelf with a passion everytime I use uu teams. He's ridiculously powerful with nasty plot, and he has good defenses for a sweeper.
Dusclops: With eviolite, dusclops becomes an evil annoying pokemon that can only be stopped by chansey and some fire-types(most dusclops carry will-o-wisp). also, due to Dusclops's low HP, Pain split screws you over.
Weavile and Azelf should stay, they aren't even that broken.

Dusclops on the other hand, idk. But still, I'd probably consider banning Porygon2 or Sableye first over Dusclops. Dusclops pretty much screams Taunt bait (hi sableye/whimsicott) and he's pretty much forced to use night shade for an offensive attack. Not only does he scream Taunt Bait, he screams toxic bait, etc. P2 has some actual offensive presence and Sableye should go on the chopping block in the very least before Dusclops, especially when it packs the 3rd fastest Taunt in the metagame (and Tornadus/Whimsicott don't always run Taunt).

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
im just going to post my paras fuck it - you can argue points but they are already sent so please dont tell me to edit something - these are for you to look at get a sense of where im coming from concerning hippowdon (jabba and ln already have these):

---

WHY HIPPOWDON IS BL

there are multiple things we need to consider when making this decision - the most important of which is "why hippowdon specifically" - as others will claim and state when we arent discussing hippopotas.

what makes hippowdon broken is not solely him the pokemon or solely sandstorm - it is hippowdon summoning the sandstorm. i think this is point that needs to be addressed - it is hippowdons synergy and what he means as a teammate for sandstorm teams that make him broken.

so before i start talking about hippowdon and hippopotas, let me just explain why hippo summoning sand is broken in the first place - hippowdon creates a completely unhealthy metagame where he combos with pokemon that receive ridiculous boosts with him as a partner - boosts that directly overpower multiple pokemon.

i can start with the most obvious one - stoutland. there couldnt have been a better match made in UU than these two and its obvious why - stoutland (who can deal with ghosts so we can ignore that) spams choice banded frustrations only resisted and hence forth walled by the scarce amount of rock-types and steel-types. hippowdon in turn wall most of these pokemon, or force them into terrible positions (this is because one of the only "safe" methods to defeating this combo relies on giving these walls choice band or high impact items like life orb, which in turn only makes it harder for them to wall stoutland or for them to defend against any other part of the team, generally geared perfectly towards defeating these threats). many of the same arguments taken from excadrill's arguments apply perfectly to stoutland - he destroys speed tiers and completely forces the meta around himself. imagine in ou, if exca was weaker and forced to use a cb to do damage, but to make up for it, he had a sand partner which completely walled all of his counters - this is why hippowdon is like for stoutland. so why you may wish to argue "stoutland is broken" and there isn't anything wrong with doing that - the offender of non competitiveness is hippowdon who as i said before, creates all sorts of combos that are almost impossible to break through - made even tougher by stoutland (and alakazam).

i suppose ill get to alakazam next - this is yet another sweeper who absolutely benefits from hippowdon. hippo has the ability to wall what you were using to stop alakazam such as escavalier and non wisp spiritomb - a zam with a substitute provides another form of attack that hippowdon entirely supports and like i have mentioned before - zam requires almost no prediction with a sub and the right teammates. the time for zam to be banned has passed but it doesnt mean we cant eliminate the bigger offender, the pokemon who once again like stoutland, provides yet another pokemon perfect support.

so "hippo cant wall cb attacks 'that well' and still has trouble with super effective attacks" - my retort is so what? hippowdon doesnt care about that, hes walling the things he is supposed to wall while hitting back hard enough, supporting all the general teammates around him. i can go one step further and mention roserade and a bulky water-type - one again, beautiful type synergy with hippowdon, being able to take the water, ice, grass attacks directed at him, being able to counter more of those threats that would wall your attackers, and setting up spikes / phazing around in the process. this is a combination that beautifully plays itself out for you. the last slot barely matters but you may see a ghost or a scarf flygon or w/e - it doesn't matter much here, this is usually just meant to plug up the holes left. the problem, like i said, is the issue of hippo + the perfect attacking partners + perfect defensive partners - the only way to truly dominate this meta besides using sand yourself is to completely go anti-meta with anti-sand - thats how over centralizing sand is.

now why hippowdon and not hippopotas? well that should be clear from my paragraphs but i will reiterate it clearly here: hippopotas does not provide the walling or attacking support that hippowdon does. it is not eliminating the counters of zam or stoutland (escavalier and bisharp, things hippowdon could wall can now threaten not only hipppopotas but the whole team structure by default) because it doesnt have the same defensive prowess of hippowdon - the lack of recovery, the decrease of bulk, the MUCH weaker attacking power - they turn hippopotas into a LIABILITY, not a threat like hippowdon. its my belief that stoutland and sand in general becomes very manageable with the liability that is hippopotas providing the sand - and this is why im in favor of banning hippowdon, its his summoning of sand with his unique qualities that creates broken threats and a broken metagame.
I think you are overexaggerating a lot in the bolded sentence.
For some reason you assume that the only things that can wall Stoutland are Rocks and Steels which is just not true.
From the top of my head i can think of Porygon2,Gligar and Sableye that wall Stoutland AND can also beat Hippo.Mind you 2 of those 3 can also beat Alakazam with the right set.
And 2 of them are absolutely perfect pokemon on their own and not niche pokes(Gligar is a useful poke,but its biggest asset is dealing with sand teams in UU).

I know that Hippo is a worthy suspect but the last thing i want to see is senate members misguiding the whole community and its opinion for Hippo via false and exaggerating claims.
I know that this post may come as insulting to you but it is not.I don't imply you are misguiding anyone on purpose.You just wrote your personal opinion and in the meantime you exaggerated without noticing.Everyone does that.
But you,of all people,should think very carefully of what you post about the suspects,because your opinions are going to heavily influence a lot of the UU community.

I think you are overexaggerating a lot in the bolded sentence.
For some reason you assume that the only things that can wall Stoutland are Rocks and Steels which is just not true.
From the top of my head i can think of Porygon2,Gligar and Sableye that wall Stoutland AND can also beat Hippo.Min you 2 of those 3 can also beat Alakazam with the right set.
And 2 of them are absolutely perfect pokemon on their own and not niche pokes(Gligar is a useful poke,but its biggest asset is dealing with sand teams in UU).

I know that Hippo is a worthy suspect but the last thing i want to see is senate members misguiding the whole community and its opinion for Hippo via false and exaggerating claims.
I know that this post may come as insulting to you but it is not.I don't imply you are misguiding anyone on purpose.You just wrote your personal opinion and in the meantime you exaggerated without noticing.Everyone does that.
But you,of all people,should think very carefully of what you post about the suspects,because your opinions are going to heavily influence a lot of the UU community.
To further your point, Calm Tangela w/ Eviolite can eat stoutland's Fire fangs and stab moves, and put it to sleep, knock off its orb/set up leech seed, and giga drain it to death.

It also completely counters Hippo (come to think if it that thing is kinda underrated).

Neither of them need to be banned if u have a good team set up

The thing that makes sandstorm broken in UU is not necessarily Hippo + Stoutland + Alakazam, but Hippo + Stoutland + Alakazam + Roserade. Roserade is definately broken in the current metagame and it's what in my opinion breaks sand. Roserade is broken because it's so unpredictable and will next to always give you 2 or more hazards up. When you face Roserade, you have no idea if it's LO offensive, specially defensive, scarf or specs and with such a wide and usefull movepool you never know if it has sleep powder or if it's just the defensive set. The specially defensive set laughs at porygon and sets up a few hazards and leaves with nearly full HP (after a rest). Sableye would've destroyed sand if it wasn't for roserade. Roserade really needs to go, it's just too good for the current metagame and it's what makes sand broken.

Hail + Snow cloak is broken, but not hail in itself. I do not see how Abomasnow alone breaks hail. He has below averedge stats and every other hail abuser is NU, so how does he break hail?

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's my hippo Paragraph:

Hippo makes Sandstorm a bit overwhelming in UU. The reason it does this is because it's miles better than Hippopotas, and usually means that a sandstorm user can keep its weather in play with ease. Hippowdon is much bulkier than Hippopotas, and can even take certain special attacks from the likes of Empoleon and Roserade (around 60% from Scald / Giga Drain) and do a considerable amount of damage back. Pair it with Roserade, which can switch into most things that give Hippowdon trouble, and you can take advantage of bulky waters by setting up on them. Hippowdon's ability to set up Stealth Rock with ease also puts a great hindrance on Hail teams.

Also, it pretty much dominates most things that give Stoutland (best sand sweeper) trouble, which also increases sandstorms effectiveness. Things like Aggron, Rhyperior and Registeel are good examples of these. Hippowdon can easily switch in to these, and attack them or set up Stealth Rock. That's a bit of a strange point, but when you compare sand usage to pre-Hippowdon times, you will see that it's true. The reason for this is because its Attack stat is considerably higher, and it is bulkier too, and has Leftovers. So basically, Hippowdon makes Sandstorm a bit too good, and I think it needs to go.

Basically I just feel that it's too easy to keep Sandstorm up with Hippo because it's so bulky. It also makes it very easy to sweep with Stoutland. It wasn't this easy when sand had to use Hippopotas, which means that Hippo is the problem, not Stoutland

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I respect the opinion of the senate but i think most of you are exaggerating.
Moo wrote in his paragraph that Aggron and Rhyperior,2 pokes that wall Stoutland,cannot get past Hippo while they both 2hko with SR and 1 layer of Spikes.

kd24 said that the only things that can wall Stoutland are rocks and steels.

Everyone keeps saying that the things that beat Stoutland cannot beat Hippo.

Everyone keeps saying that ghosts are not checks to Stoutland.

And i ask why??
Why all this hyperbole?
Here are some pokes that wall Stoutland AND are not rock or steel types AND can beat Hippo:

-Tangrowth/Tangela
-Porygon2
-Sableye
-Dusclops
-Gligar
-Hippowdon(with Toxic to deal with Stoutland and other Hippos)
-Slowbro

And this is the list of non rock/steel type counters.
So if we include rock/steel type counters(that can also beat Hippo) the list grows bigger:

-Rhyperior
-Aggron

There are also checks that can beat Stootland AND Hippo:

-Froslass
-Chandelure
-Mismagius
-Cobalion
-Empoleon
-Omastar
-Escavalier

Finally if we include the checks/counters to Stoutland that cannot beat Hippo the list grows even bigger:

-Aerodactyl
-Registeel
-Golurk
-Bisharp

I don't think that the tier doesn't have enough options to deal with Hippo and Stoutland.
I just thing that everyone needs a little time to get used to the way the things are and find the apropriate solutions.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A few of the senate members already posted their paragraphs but here's the full set anyway. Final vote was 6-1 for BL, so I'll post a new stage topic for the new metagame.

Moo said:
Hippo makes Sandstorm a bit overwhelming in UU. The reason it does this is because it's miles better than Hippopotas, and usually means that a sandstorm user can keep its weather in play with ease. Hippowdon is much bulkier than Hippopotas, and can even take certain special attacks from the likes of Empoleon and Roserade (around 60% from Scald / Giga Drain) and do a considerable amount of damage back. Pair it with Roserade, which can switch into most things that give Hippowdon trouble, and you can take advantage of bulky waters by setting up on them. Hippowdon's ability to set up Stealth Rock with ease also puts a great hindrance on Hail teams.

Also, it pretty much dominates most things that give Stoutland (best sand sweeper) trouble, which also increases sandstorms effectiveness. Things like Aggron, Rhyperior and Registeel are good examples of these. Hippowdon can easily switch in to these, and attack them or set up Stealth Rock. That's a bit of a strange point, but when you compare sand usage to pre-Hippowdon times, you will see that it's true. The reason for this is because its Attack stat is considerably higher, and it is bulkier too, and has Leftovers. So basically, Hippowdon makes Sandstorm a bit too good, and I think it needs to go.

SJCrew said:
UU is in such a state of disarray right now and I think many of us now understand why. We were all prepared for some overdue change when we saw the fun new OU drop downs we'd get to play with last month, but none of us had predicted just how unhealthy an effect stronger Sand teams would have on the tier as a result of the one we'd mostly handwaved: Hippowdon. Yes, we did have to deal with Sand teams before the drops. No they were not dominating the leaderboard or seen on every other team. Why?

Let's look at it this way. You send in Rhyperior to counter Stoutland, and you're prepared to spam CB Earthquakes. But in comes the Hippo as your Earthquakes fail to break half, dealing an impressive, but still insufficient range of 43.6% - 51.4% in damage. Free Slack Off for Hippowdon and a chance to perpetuate this cycle until Rhyperior is dead or 3HKO with Earthquake if you're brave enough to stay in. Contrast this to dealing with the useless Hippopotas, who takes this hit about 11% harder without Leftovers recovery (47.1% - 55.6%), but also racks up more net damage attempting to switch into attacks the way Hippowdon does over the course of the match, and has a pathetic Earthquake that merely tickles Rhyperior (23.6% - 28.1%), and other Stoutland checks like Registeel (31.9% - 38.5%; who will then proceed to stall you out with Toxic), and Cobalion (40.9% - 48.3%; no investment). The best it can do to any of these guys is Roar them out after setup, which doesn't stop them from coming back and doing it again.

Now what does this all mean? To start with, Hippopotas is a mediocre physical wall and won't even cover half of the threats you need it for. In order to protect yourself from these checks, you'll need one or two secondary safe switches for the Pokemon Hippopotas will inevitably fall to. If you want Blastoise for spinning, you may even need a third, since Blastoise doesn't cover physical attackers all that well either, and can't check Chandelure at all without a Specially Defensive spread. The liability of having Hippopotas for a teammate extends to the rest of its team, which is forced to try and make do with its shortcomings, and ultimately limits the options available to a Sand player. Without these options, you may miss strategies like Spike stacking, which makes it even easier for Stoutland to muscle past the likes of Rhyperior and friends. Trying to incorporate all of these into a Hippopotas-based Sand team requires a lot of work and will ultimately leave you wondering whether or not you should just use a balanced weatherless team, which has a diverse selection of sweepers with less weaknesses than Stoutland and unlimited flexibility.

In layman's terms:

Hippowdon + Stoutland = the unbreakable god duo

Hippopotas + Stoutland = i have a rock and/or steel-type, gg

We all know what Stoutland can do, as he's been doing it for months. But simply put, he needs more help than Hippopotas can offer, and Hippowdon was the gift from God he needed to be more than just 'viable' in UU. The choice here is clear: ban Hippowdon.
Heysup said:
Before I actually start, I'm just going to say I'm not talking about the power of SS teams. That is a whole different issue. This is solely about Hippowdon and its effectiveness as a physical wall on a sandstorm team.

It's kind of pathetic that we're talking about banning Hippowdon after not banning Alakazam, and just so this isn't irrelevant complaining, I want to point out that we have a precedent to follow. Where as Alakazam's weakness was that he doesn't 1-2HKO "everything", Hippowdon can't even survive two of most of the attack's he's "supposed to". Offensive vs Defensive is hard to compare, but I can't be the only one that sees how much more difficult to deal with Alakazam really is. Of course, I can still argue its UU for non-precedent related reasons at the risk of being too subjective.

Let's start, as we have to, with the argument to actually ban it. "It walls too much". If this were true, I'd support banning it as it's a valid reason, but I don't believe it's actually anywhere close to being true. Well, I guess there are those who will constantly remind everyone that CBCross, CBRhyperior, and CBAggron "only" get 43% on their respective attacks, which means that Hippowdon avoids a 2HKO....without entry hazards.

There is a common misconception that Spikes and Stealth Rock are not only uncommon, but bad, never used, etc on other teams / specifically against Sandstorm teams....that's one of the most absurd things I've heard in a while. Let's think of the common Sandstorm team, then think of the common Spikers.

Hippowdon / Stoutland / Roserade / Water / Filler / Filler...etc.

Froslass and Roserade are the two most common Spikers in my experience, and Froslass sets up 2 layers on 4 of those Pokemon, 3 safely on 2 of them, and it threatens 3 of them with setting up a layer and KOing afterwards. Roserade sets up on Hippowdon (though it needs to be switched into Stealth Rock or on a double switch etc) and the ever-present bulky waters.

Rapid Spinners do exist. For example, Hitmontop, Blastoise, Donphan. How does one plan on keeping Spikes off the field when one can't switch into any Spiker? Are you going to spin on Froslass? Blastoise vs Froslass ends with 3 layers of Spikes and a Blastoise at ~35% from Pain Split and a weak Ice Beam. Hitmontop can't even touch Froslass. Donphan is not only KOed by Ice Beam flat out, but also loses if Froslass switches into anything besides Head Smash. VS Roserade? Blastoise dies. Donphan dies. Hitmontop loses, but can Spin...but those Spikes are going right back up after Hitmontop switches out. Please note for late: all of these Spinners can easily spin on Hippowdon himself and other common Sandstorm Pokemon.

So sorry, over-optimists, to rain on your parade, but you are not going to prevent hazards from being up for at least some of the game as an effective Sandstorm team.

Now that we have established the ease in which both Spikes and Stealth Rock are put on the field, it's time to really evaluate the effectiveness of Hippowdon's physical defense. All of the sudden those 43% minimum attacks, 3HKOes, become 2HKOes just like that with one layer of Spikes and no Stealth Rock. What makes matters worse is that Stoutland is almost always paired with Hippowdon meaning Pokemon such as Aggron and Rhyperior get free switch-ins. Stealth Rock alone reduces the chance of Hippowdon surviving by about half (as far as I know).

What about those people that say, "well one side having Spikes means the other side also having Spikes"? Well not only is this not true, but it's also irrelevant. Believe it or not, Heracross and Rhyperior deal the same amount of damage with ~80-90% of their HP as they do with 100%. Hippowdon cannot take the same amount of damage with only ~80-90% HP.

You may be thinking, "what does Hippowdon even wall?", and the answer is simple: not many physical heavy hitters or special attackers. However, he walls some weaker fast sweepers like Scarf Flygon, Scarf Darmanitan, and the like. Make no mistake, this is an argument in favor of Hippowdon. He also still checks those "43%" Pokemon quite easily, though Heracross is still a hard motherfucker to deal with. That's his main use. Getting him in, setting up Sandstorm, and checking a lot of Pokemon with his moderate attack and amazing defense, he is still incredibly useful. He can turn Stoutland from shit into a killing machine, making offensive teams cry as their health dwindles, and makes stall teams cry by Roaring them around with no Lefties recovery.

This is only physical attacks so far, and at the risk of sounding heavily one-sided against Hippowdon I'm just going to point out that almost every powerful Special Attacker has a way to 1-2HKO it, and pretty easily. It only resists common Special Attacks including Sludge Bomb and Thunderbolt, but those are coming from Roserade and Zapdos, what on earth is Hippowdon going to do against those two.

In conclusion and in summary, Hippowdon is UU. He is (subjective as this may be) far less scary defensive as Alakazam is offensively, so by precedent we should not ban him if we are to really believe that Alakazam is UU. But more importantly, he simply isn't good enough. Thanks for reading this whole thing / fuck you if you didn't.
kd24 said:
there are multiple things we need to consider when making this decision - the most important of which is "why hippowdon specifically" - as others will claim and state when we arent discussing hippopotas.

what makes hippowdon broken is not solely him the pokemon or solely sandstorm - it is hippowdon summoning the sandstorm. i think this is point that needs to be addressed - it is hippowdons synergy and what he means as a teammate for sandstorm teams that make him broken.

so before i start talking about hippowdon and hippopotas, let me just explain why hippo summoning sand is broken in the first place - hippowdon creates a completely unhealthy metagame where he combos with pokemon that receive ridiculous boosts with him as a partner - boosts that indirectly overpower multiple pokemon.

i can start with the most obvious one - stoutland. there couldnt have been a better match made in UU than these two and its obvious why - stoutland (who can deal with ghosts so we can ignore that) spams choice banded frustrations only resisted and hence forth walled by the scarce amount of rock-types and steel-types. hippowdon in turn wall most of these pokemon, or force them into terrible positions (this is because one of the only "safe" methods to defeating this combo relies on giving these walls choice band or high impact items like life orb, which in turn only makes it harder for them to wall stoutland or for them to defend against any other part of the team, generally geared perfectly towards defeating these threats). many of the same arguments taken from excadrill's arguments apply perfectly to stoutland - he destroys speed tiers and completely forces the meta around himself. imagine in ou, if exca was weaker and forced to use a cb to do damage, but to make up for it, he had a sand partner which completely walled all of his counters - this is why hippowdon is like for stoutland. so why you may wish to argue "stoutland is broken" and there isn't anything wrong with doing that - the offender of non competitiveness is hippowdon who as i said before, creates all sorts of combos that are almost impossible to break through - made even tougher by stoutland (and alakazam).

i suppose ill get to alakazam next - this is yet another sweeper who absolutely benefits from hippowdon. hippo has the ability to wall what you were using to stop alakazam such as escavalier and non wisp spiritomb - a zam with a substitute provides another form of attack that hippowdon entirely supports and like i have mentioned before - zam requires almost no prediction with a sub and the right teammates. the time for zam to be banned has passed but it doesnt mean we cant eliminate the bigger offender, the pokemon who once again like stoutland, provides yet another pokemon perfect support.

so "hippo cant wall cb attacks 'that well' and still has trouble with super effective attacks" - my retort is so what? hippowdon doesnt care about that, hes walling the things he is supposed to wall while hitting back hard enough, supporting all the general teammates around him. i can go one step further and mention roserade and a bulky water-type - one again, beautiful type synergy with hippowdon, being able to take the water, ice, grass attacks directed at him, being able to counter more of those threats that would wall your attackers, and setting up spikes / phazing around in the process. this is a combination that beautifully plays itself out for you. the last slot barely matters but you may see a ghost or a scarf flygon or w/e - it doesn't matter much here, this is usually just meant to plug up the holes left. the problem, like i said, is the issue of hippo + the perfect attacking partners + perfect defensive partners - the only way to truly dominate this meta besides using sand yourself is to completely go anti-meta - thats how over centralizing sand is.

now why hippowdon and not hippopotas? well that should be clear from my paragraphs but i will reiterate it clearly here: hippopotas does not provide the walling or attacking support that hippowdon does. it is not eliminating the counters of zam or stoutland (escavalier and bisharp, things hippowdon could wall can now threaten not only hipppopotas but the whole team structure by default) because it doesnt have the same defensive prowess of hippowdon - the lack of recovery, the decrease of bulk, the MUCH weaker attacking power - they turn hippopotas into a LIABILITY, not a threat like hippowdon. its my belief that stoutland and sand in general becomes very manageable with the liability that is hippopotas providing the sand - and this is why im in favor of banning hippowdon, its his summoning of sand with his unique qualities that creates broken threats and a broken metagame.
ToF said:
I think there is a reason that the majority of teams atop the UU leaderboard are Sand teams. If you haven't understood yet, the answer is simple: Hippowdon. Hippowdon was the drop that Sand teams needed in order to in my opinion become the dominant strategy in the tier. Although Stoutland is the premier sweeper on Sandstorm teams, the reason the Hippowdon - Stoutland combination is so difficult to defeat is because of the mighty Hippowdon.

The most common Stoutland counter I've seen is Rock-types, namely Rhyperior, and Steel-types, namely Registeel.. Without a layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock out, not even CB Rhyperior can 2HKO physically defensive Hippowdon. As for Registeel, it's doing nothing but Toxic'ing your Hippowdon, which can be remedied by some team support (Aromatherapy, Heal Bell). Hippowdon in this manner becomes the perfect partner to Stoutland - all of Stoutland's premier counters are walled by Hippowdon. If you analyze Hippopotas in the same scenario, not only does it take hits less effectively than Hippowdon even with Eviolite, but it's also more prone to hazards damage because of a lack of Leftovers. Additionally, Hippowdon has a much larger base attack stat, which translates to a much stronger Earthquake when checking these strong physical threats.

Based off of laddering with multiple teams (Sand, Stall, and Hail), I personally think Sand and Hail are the dominant strategies and most powerful strategies in the tier. If it came down to Sand vs. Hail, Sand IMO has the advantage because of the versatility of the Hippowdon + Stoutland combination. In order to compensate for both of these weathers being too powerful, I think the fully evolved parent need's to be booted to stabilize the power-creep. Sand in this case will still be quite the force even with Hippopotas as the weather-inducer, but not nearly be as difficult to break as the Hippowdon - Stoutland combination.

As of now, the BW UU tier is kind of in a flux because of the different weather capabilities. These weather conditions IMO are too strong; you might not agree with this assessment, but the data is in front of you. The majority of top 10 ladder teams are sand, and people have gotten to #1 on the ladder with simple BlizzSpam teams. If you want to diminsh the capabilities of these kinds of teams, you need to hit them at their source: the weather inducer. Hopefully, by banning Hippowdon (and hopefully eventually Abomasnow), not only will weather teams take a bit of a hit, but it will also encourage greater variety of teams (which as of now are kind of non-existent, and limited to Sand, Hail, and Stall).

Hippowdon should be BL for a tl:dr.
Snunch said:
Hippowdon is a tricky pokemon to evaluate. It plays two major roles: countering nearly every physical attacker that can’t hit it with a super effective attack and providing sand stream support as a direct way of supporting Stoutland. With phazing, recovery, and a high attack stat, Hippowdon is difficult to set up on. Hippowdon is broken in UU because both roles have significant detrimental effects on the metagame, and a ban on Hippowdon is the best way to fix both.

Make no mistake; Hippowdon walls nearly every physical attacker in UU, the only exceptions being super effective hits and outrageously strong CB attacks from pokemon like Heracross. Even adamant Darmanitan can’t break Hippowdon. The difference between Hippowdon and other walls such as Cresselia is that Hippowdon is not easily exploitable. With a high attack stat, a solid movepool, reliable recovery, and phazing, Hippowdon is both difficult to switch into and difficult to set up on. A high number of powerful special attackers in UU can’t comfortably come in on Earthquake, and Hippowdon can run a very viable specially defensive spread that allows it to take on pokemon like Alakazam and Chandelure in exchange for losing the ability to counter unboosted Darmanitan. Hippowdon reminds me of Chansey, except that Hippowdon can both phaze and actually attack. Judging solely on its ability to wall such a significant portion of the metagame alone, Hippowdon is an elite UU wall.

Although it is certainly not broken itself, sandstorm as a passive effect should not be ignored when discussing Hippowdon. By virtue of being a great pokemon, Hippowdon has made sandstorm a common field condition. This was not true with Hippopotas because it was a bad pokemon and therefore very rare. Sandstorm as a common field condition in UU, however, restricts the number of viable strategies in UU and decreases diversity. Life Orb sweepers without recovery are virtually dead, as the benefits of using LO are in every case outweighed by the fact that the pokemon in question is suicidal. For example, LO Raikou can break through the bulky ground types that normally haunt it, but losing the extra 6.25% health per turn makes it a clearly inferior set in practice. A larger concern, and one that should receive more attention, is sand making rendering many recovery moves moot. This heavily detracts from the metagame, as many pokemon that would otherwise range from viable to key staples in the metagame. Pokemon like Arcanine could be centerpieces of this metagame, and pokemon like Tangrowth could be viable physical walls, but sand renders them completely unviable. Again, I’m not arguing that these factors solely warrant a ban on sand, just that they contribute to the big picture.

Alright, now for the big issue: Stoutland. Anybody who plays UU for a day can tell that Hippowdon + Stoutland is a broken combination. Stoutland has good natural bulk and spams a type with good neutral coverage, and can even switch in safely and pursuit the ghosts who would stop it. This makes a team of offensive pokemon unviable without using one of the precious few rocks / steels that actually check Stoutland. The top of the ladder reflects this, with every team either being a sand clone or carrying one of the precious few Stoutland checks. The silver lining is that for the most part, bulky rocks and steels stop Stoutland cold. This would make it risky to use a sand team in UU; much like rain dance teams, you would be removing skill from the match in order to play a match that was almost entirely decided by team matchup. This is why rain dance teams do not work well on the ladder, and it is the risk that balances out the power of Stoutland. However, with Hippowdon, this silver lining disappears. Every bulky rock / steel that makes a good check to Stoutland is dealt with quite easily by Hippowdon. Cobalion, Bisharp, most Rhyperior, Registeel, etc. are all hard countered by Hippowdon. This removes the inherient risk that should be associated with using a sandstorm team and is not a balanced strategy. By contrast, Hippopotas actually loses to pokemon like SD Cobalion and is easily exploited. Therefore, banning Hippowdon but allowing Hippopotas to stay would balance out sand.
DetroitLolcat said:
I really didn't want to vote "Ban" for Hippowdon as I'm generally opposed to banning things in general, but Hippowdon is just simply too good for UU because of the team support and the ease of abusing Sand in the current metagame. Hippowdon provides so much utility to a Sand team that Hippopotas couldn't, and this great utility really pushes the papa Hippo over the edge.

It needs to be said that this is a vote on Hippowdon, not Sand in general. Sand will still be alive and well in UU with Hippopotas setting it up, so I'm only considering the effects of Hippowdon's presence over Hippopotas's and why those buffs make Hippowdon a broken force in UU.

I feel that I'm reiterating the points the other Council members said when talking about the broken core of Stoutland and Hippowdon. In the previous metagame, Hippopotas had very little general utility; it had all of the support options Hippowdon has now, but not enough bulk (and a lack of Leftovers!) to take UU's most powerful Physical hits and therefore much less ability to abuse its support options. Hippowdon can wall every Physical attacker that doesn't carry a super-effective attack besides the best of the best Choice Band users.

Even though things like Choice Band Heracross and (rarely) Choice Band Rhyperior can break the Stout+Hippo core, spamming Choice Banded Fighting and Ground type attacks doesn't go very far in UU, as bulky Ghosts like Mismagius or Golurk can ruin your day. Hippowdon also gets reliable recovery in Slack Off, so giving it even a single turn without pressuring it can put your team in a world of hurt.

Hippowdon gets Leftovers recovery, too. All of those 43-53% calculations (e.g., CB Rhyperior, CB Aggron) just went from clean 2KOs to requiring Spikes support as well. And what if the opponent predicts an Earthquake and sends out Mismagius? You just lost all of your offensive momentum trying to break the Hippo. Hippopotas, however, can't take as many hits that just barely 2KO because he doesn't have the Leftovers recovery that Hippowdon can use to avoid losing to those threats. Hippowdon can also do significant damage to opponents with its massive Earthquakes, which have significant offensive presence even without investment. Hippopotas's 180 Attack just falls short.

But the key issue here is what Hippowdon's support does to Stoutland. Notice that I said Hippowdon support, not Sand support. Hippowdon+Stoutland has so much synergy that UU simply cannot handle it. The Pokemon that wall Stoutland like Rhyperior, Aggron, and Registeel can't do a thing to Hippowdon. Rhyperior needs two hazards to have a chance at beating Hippowdon, Aggron needs to use CB Aqua Tail to even have a chance with hazards (and spamming CB Aqua Tail makes you Roserade bait). Registeel can't do a thing to any common Sand staple besides Toxic Hippowdon. But Roserade sets up on Registeel all day.

Pokemon that want to come in on Hippowdon (bulky Waters) simply can't handle Stoutland with one layer of hazards and Sandstorm active. All of the Bulky Waters that take 42% damage from CB Return suddenly can't take two hits because of Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Sandstorm. And even if not all of those are up and the Water survives, it can't come in later and do it again. Not to mention that Roserade beats up on Bulky Waters, so using a bulky Water to check Stoutland suddenly gives the opponent a free turn to throw Spikes at you. Bottom line is Stoutland ends up winning in the end, even if you temporarily stop him. And all those Ghosts are taken out by Crunch. Even if you can stop Stoutland by predicting well, it won't matter when Stoutland comes in later and Pursuits your Ghost out of the match, then comes in to spam more Returns.

With Hippopotas, Sand teams have to outsource their main Physical walls, which restores a sense of balance to the UU tier. Hippowdon can take just too many hits, recover off the damage, and form an impenetrable core with Stoutland, and that's why I have to vote Hippowdon BL.

You're only beating Stoutland's Return if your opponent accidentally set Happiness to 0. And if he's using Frustration...

God help you.
I'll post the next np thread once I talk to someone to get the tier on the server updated.

Hippowdon banned? Here comes the Hail hate again...

I don't agree with this ban at all. In order for Sand teams to provide the support Stoutland needed to thrive, they had to expose themselves to a ton of very exploitable weaknesses. Porygon2, Mamoswine, CB Rhyperior, and Torterra are just a few of the pokemon that you could plop on to beat Sand outright.

after hippos gone the next order of banning will most likely be snow warning + Snow cloak. It only stopped because hippo got brought down.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
some sand lover :D said:
Porygon2, Mamoswine, CB Rhyperior, and Torterra are just a few of the pokemon that you could plop on to beat Sand outright.
Porygon2 does welll against Sand, I'll give you that.
Mamoswine cannot break any main bulky Waters like Slowbro or Milotic, which are around on Sand teams.
CB Rhyperior needs 2 hazards just to have a chance at beating Hippowdon.
Torterra? Do people use that? Well it can't set up on any Sand Pokemon, and is revenged by Stoutland.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Mamoswine cannot break any main bulky Waters like Slowbro or Milotic, which are around on Sand teams.
Torterra? Do people use that? Well it can't set up on any Sand Pokemon, and is revenged by Stoutland.
Rhyperior needs SR and spikes, which are common battle conditions,to 2hko Hippo after lefties 98.62% of the time not ''just to have a chance at beating Hippowdon''.

EDIT:I meant 2hko fixed!

Hell yeah he does. He's none too shabby against non-Sand either.

Mamoswine rapes Milotic. Suicune has no good recovery and is easily worn down after a few switch-ins. Resting makes him deadweight. Blastoise was becoming an increasingly common bulky water choice due to Spikes dominance, and he didn't take an EQ well either. Only Slowbro really gets him, but recently I haven't seen much of him because everyone wants their bulky water to be able to check Chandelure.

2 hazards? Just use Roserade; she has no problem getting them up against basically any special attacker or bulky water. So fucking broken...

Torterra is uncommon, but very effective as not only a Rock Polisher, but also an all-out attacker or Leech Seeding tank. With Wood Hammer he smashes through Hippowdon and the likely bulky water, and with EQ he rapes just about everything else Sand has. Stoutland doesn't even come close to OHKOing even with no defensive investment, and can be OHKOed in return.

The point is, there were a lot of options available that could, if not single-handedly beat, at least cause serious problems for the standard sand team build that was all over the ladder. Even the best sand teams were often very weak to all of these threats. I could go on to name more if it suits you...

Rhyperior needs SR and spikes, which are common battle conditions,to ohko Hippo after lefties 98.62% of the time not ''just to have a chance at beating Hippowdon''.
2HKO, but other than that: yes, exactly. Plus Hippowdon doesn't OHKO with his own EQ iirc, meaning that even without hazards, Hippowdon has to pray for no crithax as he continually Slacks Off to get back to the full health he needs to beat Rhyperior...

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I decided to factor in a powerful common Choice Band user that jumped out at me because of its damage range. The other 2 are both very effective checks to Stoutland.

As for your theory about Cobalion vs Hippowdon: it can just use Iron Head + Close Combat to beat Hippowdon. However, even if this Cobalion doesn't carry Iron Head, 2 Swords Dances make Close Combat deal 90.95% - 107.14%. With hazards on the field, I'd take that bet.

I don't know why I'm wasting time on this, because Cobalion can just CC and switch out because of how non threatening Hippowdon is even with his improved attack from Hippopotas.
I don't know either because you know I have Roar and just switched into Stoutland's Return to be put in range of an EQ KO. When was the last time you've seriously beaten Hippwodon with SD Cobalion? You're not gonna win that one, trust me.

Xatu is clearly unpopular and frankly not very reliable against a skilled player. As has been shown many times, it's kind of hard to get Spikes off the field as well, considering that most of the Spin Blockers > Rapid Spinners or they at least take the spinners down with them.
However, if you're not carrying a real spinblocker or it gets Pursuited by Stoutland, it suddenly becomes very easy to get rid of those hazards. The problem with Spikes is that it requires additional turns of setup unlike Stealth Rock. That gives your opponent opportunities to spin. Spikes is a battle in and of itself. And again, assuming Spikes against Stoutland checks makes it much, much harder to win (something else people had to deal with when facing Sand). I'm really doing anti-Sand supporters a favor by not emphasizing it as much as you are.

-Tangrowth/Tangela
-Porygon2
-Sableye
-Dusclops
-Gligar
-Hippowdon(with Toxic to deal with Stoutland and other Hippos)
-Slowbro
Those three are just awful checks. Offensive P2 can't take two Returns and defensive can barely take them after SR and Sand, not even mentioning Spikes (which frankly make literally everything easier to kill and make for easymode arguments). Slowbro is murdered by two Crunches/Wild Charges after SR.

Gligar and Sableye have gotten popular lately, but Tangrowth, Tangela, and Dusclops are just not being used. If you're going to scrutinize our arguments, which are much more a product of play experience than theory, at least consider the fact that we're simply not fighting any of these obscure Pokemon you're pulling out to 'beat Sand' (and somehow still not affecting their utter tier dominance). That's like me saying "Stoutland learns Ice Fang, not a counter." Most people would use Roserade as their Grass-type of choice in this tier because it's not murdered by Ice Beam, can work as an offensive threat, and sets up Spikes. If you want to use Tangrowth, you have to use something else to check bulky Water-types because he's just not gonna do it. All for the sake of "beating Sand".

Dusclops is just so easy to wear down and set up on in this weather because of his lack of Leftovers. Switch to a Fire-type or Mew and WoW him. Toxic/Taunt. I have seriously not seen anyone good use this thing, even on stall (ToF is primarily a stall player now IIRC, and I've not seen him use this). No reliable recovery either. If you use this guy on a serious team, I suspect you'll be losing to a lot more than just Sand.

Look Alexwolf, if you use these things and win regularly, I applaud you. But reaching for straws is not the best way to disprove the sheer results Sand has gotten, despite there being a few obscure Pokemon that can potentially ruin its synergy. Remember, it's not just 'Hippowdon + Stoutland' vs. UU, that's the main attraction. There are also Rock-types that can handle P2 (which I can believe Kd24 covered) and Sand Veil abuse (I've lost to a Cacturne before -___-). You can find room for all of these things with a self-sufficient Sand setter like Hippowdon. Good luck doing that with Hippopotas.

As for Spikes for both sides, I addressed this. Spikes should be on both sides, but it effects Hippowdon's survivability way more than the Pokemon attacking it.
Not when Hippowdon checks one of your physical sweepers and can simply Roar to hack up entry hazards damage on your team, weakening your Stoutland checks. I do agree that we should deliberate further on what to do about Spikes; it's not okay to have walls in the tier simply fail to do their jobs because of free, easy damage. But we do have a couple good spinners that can get rid of them, so I'd rather not crutch it as an argument if I can avoid it. The chances of a Stealth Rock user outlasting a spinner, with there being more Pokemon to set it up and requiring only one turn, are much higher, and it's a lot safer to just assume that instead of your opponent always having Froslass/Spikes Roserade/Deo-D. People are still shocked to see me use Froslass outside of Hail, for goodness' sake lol.

You have to consider one other thing as well: we are talking about Hippowdon as a Pokemon. Hippowdon is not a very good abuser of Spikes himself, Stoutland is. You would have a valid point here if we were voting on Sandstream. We are not voting on Sandstream. We are voting to ban the Pokemon Hippowdon. Sandstream still exists. Stoutland + Spikes + Sandstorm still exists. If that's what you guys think is broken, then shouldn't we be voting on that?
Hippowdon is a team player. If you are not evaluating it by the sum of its parts as a wall and supporter, you're cutting short its capabilities as a Pokemon. Sand is what makes Stoutland what it is and Hippowdon supplies it. Stoutland would also have a lot more trouble dealing with its most popular checks without Hippowdon to bail it out. Stoutland also cannot check a large number of the tier's physical attackers and wear down special attackers simply through phazing, attacking, and hazards abuse.

Every time I come up with some argument against Hippowdon being that much better than Hippopotas, it's "well SS is broken because Stoutland is fast and hits hard!". I know how good Sandstorm is, and it's currently not going anywhere.
I'd much rather go into battle seeing the little hippo, because it means a lot more viable Stoutland checks crop up without utilizing any ulterior strategies. Spiking might not be a given, but Hippopotas being an easier to beat Pokemon than Hippowdon certainly is.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Those three are just awful checks. Offensive P2 can't take two Returns and defensive can barely take them after SR and Sand, not even mentioning Spikes (which frankly make literally everything easier to kill and make for easymode arguments). Slowbro is murdered by two Crunches/Wild Charges after SR.
Physically defensive Porygon2 avoids the 2hko from LO Stoutland with SR and 1 layer of spikes factored in and at worst will die from SS damage at the end of the second turn.That means that Porygon2 will switch in take the first hit,then take the second hit paralyze Stoutland and then die at worst from SS damage or live with 1-10% hp.So as far as countering goes i would say that a paralyzed Stoutland is as good as dead so Porygon2 has done its job.Some times it dies in the procees but this doesn't mean that he didn't counter Stoutland.
Also you are right Slowbro dies from 2 WC or Crunches with entry hazards depeding on the item that Stoutland holds so he is not a counter.He is a check though and a good pivot for choiced sets.

Gligar and Sableye have gotten popular lately, but Tangrowth, Tangela, and Dusclops are just not being used. If you're going to scrutinize our arguments, which are much more a product of play experience than theory, at least consider the fact that we're simply not fighting any of these obscure Pokemon you're pulling out to 'beat Sand' (and somehow still not affecting their utter tier dominance). That's like me saying "Stoutland learns Ice Fang, not a counter." Most people would use Roserade as their Grass-type of choice in this tier because it's not murdered by Ice Beam, can work as an offensive threat, and sets up Spikes. If you want to use Tangrowth, you have to use something else to check bulky Water-types because he's just not gonna do it. All for the sake of "beating Sand".
I get what you mean but all i am doing now is looking for solutions.I am not sold on anything.If you ask me my opinion about Hippo i will say that i don't know because i don't think that he has gotten the time he deserves so we can understand if he is truly broken or not.
So i am not mentioning Tangrwoth and Dusclops as established good pokes in this meta i am just mentioning them as ways to deal with some problematic threats that are popular in UU.Like Gadtrodon in OU,which everyone though that was garbage in the tier in the begining until they got used to it.
The same can happen with Tangrwoth or Dusclops.Of 'course they are not the best out there,but both pokes have valuable assets for any team.
Tangrowth is an amazing physical wall with reliable recovery(Regenerator + Giga Drain) and more than decent attacking presence in both sides of the spectrum.Of 'course it comes with some drawbacks but the fact that he deals with one of the best combos in UU,as of now,can possibly be enough of a reason for him to rise in usage.As i said again it's not like Tangrwoth is useless outside of countering Hippo and Stoutland.
Dusclops is an excellent mixed wall and a spinblocker that can spread status quite easily and spinblock through the entire match.It also pairs wonderfully with any wishpasser which immediately heals him back to full life.
Anwyay i think you get my point.These pokes have their selling points and now that there are Stoutland and Hippo,there is another reason to use them.Another reason not the only one!

Dusclops is just so easy to wear down and set up on in this weather because of his lack of Leftovers. Switch to a Fire-type or mew and WoW him. Toxic/Taunt. I have seriously not seen anyone good use this thing, even on stall (ToF is primarily a stall player now IIRC, and I've not seen him use this). No reliable recovery either. If you use this guy on a serious team, I suspect you'll be losing to a lot more than just Sand.
I don't have a lot of experience with Dusclops so i cannot really tell.After all i am just trying to find some ways to beat Stoutland and Hippo.So the first thing i am going to do is share my thoughts with everyone so we can test how these pokes actually fare against the sand core.First comes the theory and then the practise(not by importance but by logical order).

Look Alexwolf, if you use these things and win regularly, I applaud you. But reaching for straws is not the best way to disprove the sheer results Sand has gotten, despite there being a few obscure Pokemon that can potentially ruin its synergy. Remember, it's not just 'Hippowdon + Stoutland' vs. UU, that's the main attraction. There are also Rock-types that can handle P2 (which I can believe Kd24 covered) and Sand Veil abuse (I've lost to a Cacturne before -___-). You can find room for all of these things with a self-sufficient Sand setter like Hippowdon. Good luck doing that with Hippopotas.
As i said again i am trying to find some ways to deal with the annoying core.
Some of the things i mentioned i have experience with and with some others i don't.My ideas and everyone's ideas might work or might not but we can't tell yet.We haven't spend enough time with Hippo in UU to make a verdict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)