np: UU Stage 3 - We Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, I forgot to take into account SR weakness and lack of Leftovers on Zapdos and Gligar, respectively, so I took them out of the list, oops.

I also did some calcs, and Honko's Grass Knot calculation is way off - I'm removing Milotic and Suicune off the list, too :x

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't think it's safe to assume Alakazam is carrying Psyshock, especially Focus Sash 'Zam who really needs the power of Psychic.
Also, Umbreon is not that bad of a pokemon in this metagame.
I disagree, Umbreon is pretty terrible in the metagame and is outdone by a myriad of better special tanks. There is next to no reason to use it over the likes of Chansey or Snorlax and i'm salty dumbfounded as to why its so high up.

Every gen, its always overestimated...

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't think it's safe to assume Alakazam is carrying Psyshock, especially Focus Sash 'Zam who really needs the power of Psychic.
Also, Umbreon is not that bad of a pokemon in this metagame.
That's why I also mentioned calcs for Psychic. The only pokemon where it matters are specially-defensive altaria and rest-talk raikou, and I think it's way less safe to assume that those...exist than it is to assume that alakazam is carrying psyshock.

Also, no, Umbreon is pretty bad in this metagame. Being completely outclassed by Chansey (far better defensive and support ability) and Snorlax (better special defense, actual offensive presence, still beats ghosts) isn't much fun.

Edit: ninja'd .___.

If you use Honko's spread damage calculator, you could tell that Alakazam actually fails to 2HKO several UU mons without Life Orb (even with Grass Knot).

http://www.honko.freehosting.com/coverage_calc.html

Here are the list of mons that are NOT 2HKOed by Alakazam:
  • Spiritomb
  • Mandibuzz
  • Togekiss
  • Altaria
  • Snorlax
  • Escavalier
  • Shaymin
  • Raikou
  • Deoxys-D
  • Registeel
  • Mew
  • Umbreon
Note that some of these mons are not even defensive mons. Not too sure why Sableye didn't show up...
Which of these Pokemon can switch into Alakazam and kill it, assuming Stealth Rock is up but no other hazards / damaging weather, and Alakazam stays in to fight it out (as opposed to switch out)?

• Spiritomb - is one of the best Alakazam counters out there, so yes it can.
  • Mandibuzz - weak Pokemon. Ugh.
  • Togekiss - 2HKOed by Psychic after SR. You could bait Grass Knot or something to get Togekiss in, though, although you'll have trouble attacking while maintaining high health and if you paralyze you may get caught by Focus Blast on a Roost.
  • Altaria - this isn't a very effective Pokemon. It's NU for a reason.
  • Snorlax - yes, it can, although it does depend on EVs.
  • Escavalier - yes, it can.
  • Shaymin - offensive Shaymin is 2HKOed by Psychic. 252/0 Shaymin takes 37.9% - 44.6%, and it can't KO Alakazam before Alakazam KOes it. I'm seeing something like this: Shaymin switches in, Zam attacks with Psychic. Shaymin uses Seed Flare, Zam attacks with Psychic. Zam attacks with Psychic. Sash broken, but Shaymin is dead.
  • Raikou - 2HKOed by Psychic + outsped. If RestTalk CM Raikou exists, I don't remember seeing one at all (or, for that matter, any Raikou with Extremespeed). Without Extremespeed it's vulnerable to a Shaymin-esque scenario where it dies after breaking Sash.
  • Deoxys-D - Shadow Ball does 39.5% - 46.7% to 252/0 Deoxys-D. Against that Deoxys-D's best attack against Alakazam is Night Shade, which takes three hits to KO. Deoxys-D has to Recover at some point to not die to Shadow Ball itself, giving Alakazam even more attacks. It might get a crit, it might get a SpD fall, and the longer the fight goes the higher the chance of this happening.
  • Registeel - Registeel takes two hits to kill Alakazam. Alakazam needs to hit it twice to kill with Focus Blast. A tough duel, almost 50/50, but without having evaluated the statistics I would put money on Alakazam winning.
  • Mew - see Deoxys-D. Mew dies before Alakazam dies. With an offensive set, Mew can't OHKO Alakazam while Alakazam 2HKOes back. With a bulky set, Mew is forced to spam Softboiled while Alakazam waits for a crit or SpD fall, or break the Sash and die.
  • Umbreon - rather weak Pokemon. I wouldn't say it's completely outclassed (it has better resistances than Chansey, it can Wish unlike Snorlax), but it's not exactly strong. Risks dying to Focus Blast, but it takes three hits of this 70% accurate move to kill it and it can stall some of its 8PP with Wish / Protect, so I guess yes, it can.

The list is otherwise missing Sableye and Chansey, which cutting out the non-viable Pokemon gives us:

Chansey
Sableye
Spiritomb
Escavalier
Snorlax
Umbreon (?)

How many of these six Pokemon does LO Alakazam actually beat ... ?

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For Raikou, Honko's spread calc was also referring to the Sub CM variant, as well, which is offensive.

Registeel can easily pack TWave if it wants to deal with Alakazam.

Not too sure what Togekiss variant FlareBlitz is referring to, but the Togekiss in the SmogonDex has a high chance of surviving 2 Psychics even after SR - allowing Togekiss to TWave / Roost off the damage unless special fall / crit.

We can also mention mons who are faster than Alakazam that can survive a hit from Sash Zam, including:
  • Scarf Darmanitan
  • Scarf Flygon
  • Arcanine (physical attacker)
  • Scarf Rotom-H
  • Aerodactyl
  • Jolteon

Honko's Spread Calc is boss!

Banedon - How many of these six Pokemon does LO Alakazam actually beat ... ?
Chansey, Sabyleye, Spiritomb, and Escavalier are reliable answers to LO Zam imo. Oh yea, and Pursuiters like Scarf Heracross, Scarf Krookodile, Stoutland, and Weavile, too.

Mandibuzz is most definitely not a weak pokemon... 110/105/95 defenses, fast for a wall, immune to ground and psychic, immune to weather damage, it makes an absolutely stellar toxic staller/phazer/utility counter, and has some interesting flying type perks such as u-turn/tailwind. Similar to Crobat, with smart play it can frustrate the opponent and turn the match in your favor.

The issue with Mandibuzz is zero offensive presence, Nasty Plot takes away from its utility and Brave Bird just can't make up for that non-existant offense. So what if its bulkier than Skarmory on both sides of the spectrum and far bulkier than Crobat? It can be poisoned and it can't invest in speed as much as it'd like to abuse Taunt.

I understand that it does have issues, but it is unfair to write it off as a 'weak mon'. It is fast enough to taunt a lot of common walls, and has a diverse enough movepool to provide adequate support.

If it had spikes (come on, it has a collar of spiked bones) I think that its usage would greatly increase, particularly as a Roserade counter.

If Mandibuzz ever got ANY kind of hazard, I wouldn't find it unusual if it even had a chance at going OU. It's biggest weakness besides the no offense is a complete inability to capitalize on opportunities when it does show up.

If it had hazards, then at that point we'd be debating over whether you prefer Skarm's resists over Mandibuzz's superior speed and bulk in OU. Not over Mandibuzz's non-existance in UU and lower.

Mind you, you could hope for Swords Dance in the future. It could actually become a half decent bulky sweeper in the vein of Gliscor, then again I wish Heatmor could be useful or Drifblim had a physical movepool to give a care about so you can't have everything.

@Pocket - none of them can switch in since they are all 2HKOed. If they come in after a KO, you must not forget SR. Yanmega is toast after SR, Darmanitan dies as well. Unless Rotom-H uses Volt Switch to break Sash and then go to another Pokemon that's faster + can take a hit, it'll take enough from Psychic that it can't switch in again because of SR. Aerodactyl lands in the same boat, unless it's LO, when there's a good chance Aerodactyl dies from Psychic + SR. Arcanine gets Extremespeed, so it's going to kill Alakazam regardless. Jolteon lives, but is crippled.

As for Registeel, it can TWave, but it will die to Focus Blast unless it switches out. But then if we're going to consider switching then Alakazam can / should just switch out to something like Donphan for free spin / SR ...

252 SpA Timid Alakazam Psychic vs. 252/0 Togekiss: 36.1% - 42.5% (2HKO after SR). Specially defensive Togekiss survives, though, unless Zam has Psyshock.

Mandibuzz is just ... eh. It's a wall that's weak to Stealth Rock, and it's got dangerous weaknesses to Electric + Ice while being unable to hit for much if any damage. I don't see how it's not a weak Pokemon.

Pocket

The mons that I listed that Alakazam failed to OHKO are mons that comes in on a revenge kill. Alternatively, you can treat these offensive mons as those that Alakazam cannot revenge-kill thanks to the lack of power.

However, Yanmega should not be there, lol, fixed.

The mons that I listed that Alakazam failed to OHKO are mons that comes in on a revenge kill. Alternatively, you can treat these offensive mons as those that Alakazam cannot revenge-kill thanks to the lack of power.

However, Yanmega should not be there, lol, fixed.
Why shouldn't Yanmega be there? Speed boost variants outspeed and ohko after a Protect.

We're kind of busy wasting our time with Hippowdon instead of focusing on things that are actually problems........hopefully we can move on quickly. As mentioned in many other posts, I would ban those two abilities/combo's in a row.

lol "busy wasting our time" - thats such a clear little jab of disrespect towards the multiple members who are actually voting BL that i dont really know what to say except being a council member means "respecting others opinions while trying to convince them otherwise"

ps your hippo paras are absurd lol and i wasnt really going to mention anything but come on, you make an inane comparison of hippo to zam and barely mention SANDSTORM and its effect on the meta

sorry for the delay to the rest of you, ill be sending in my uu paras for hippo tonight or tommorow, ive just been pretty busy lately

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I'm in the same boat as kd. I'm on teh fence leaning towards BL right now and I'll probably have [pimg]46[/pimg] in soon (probs today)

Pocket

soo why wasn't there any discussion taking place in this thread? I thought the council members were supposed to be moderating discussion in this thread to gain feedback from UU players to make their decision? No offense, but I'm feeling that you guys aren't doing what you guys signed up for.
You guys are already submitting your verdict without any discussion (outside of genVuu channel perhaps).

I posted my thoughts that I shared with SJCrew here, and I was expecting some sort of response from other council members, but seems like it was missed.

lol "busy wasting our time" - thats such a clear little jab of disrespect towards the multiple members who are actually voting BL that i dont really know what to say except being a council member means "respecting others opinions while trying to convince them otherwise"

ps your hippo paras are absurd lol and i wasnt really going to mention anything but come on, you make an inane comparison of hippo to zam and barely mention SANDSTORM and its effect on the meta.
Sorry if I offended you or anyone else, but that's not what I meant at all. This is not about whether or not we (the senate) think it's broken, it's our responsibility as members to address the issues that are being presented by the community. Hippowdon is not being cried out for in particular, even if Sandstorm is. My point is that there are more or equally pressing issues that need to be discussed (Sandstorm as a whole, Sand Veil/Snow Cloak), and currently we have spent an insane amount of time talking/not talking about Hippowdon. Hence, a waste of time whether or not we think it's broken.

To your severely uncalled for public hostility to my paragraphs (which are actually supported by calculations, experience, and logic), I'll simply say that I don't think you fully read or understand them, or you're just grasping for a way to dismiss the arguments presented (but I don't think this is the case since you're a senate member). I say this because I very clearly explain the benefits and detriments of Sandstorm....and why I so closely focused on Hippowdon as a Pokemon. Maybe my paragraphs seem absurd to you because you are illogically lumping Hippowdon and Sandstorm into the same category, but they are two different things. Sandstorm is a field condition caused by more than one Pokemon to the exact same extent. This is like saying Froslass is broken simply because Froslass has Spikes. A reasonable person is not going to focus on it solely having Spikes because other Pokemon have Spikes. You need to focus on what makes it that much better than just a "Pokemon with Spikes".

I hope you take that into consideration when you vote and write your paragraphs. Maybe you'd rather just ban Sandstorm? There's a big difference between finding paragraphs absurd and disagreeing, hopefully you can realize that.

Note: you took the Alakazam comparison a little too literally. In the case of overall effectiveness, Alakazam is way better from that perspective (and while this is subjective it is supported by numbers). I don't think you really understood it as "Alakazam has 369 SpA and Hippow only has 360 Def so Alakazam is better".

@ Pocket

Yea I agree we should be more transparent. It's just kind of annoying that we take forever to talk about something on IRC and the "discussion" passes on the forum by that point. Hopefully this post (well, the bulk of it) is a start.

Anyway, I mostly agree with your approach to Hippowdon, but I'm taking a bigger step back and saying "if there is a problem, then clearly we should be focusing on all the aspects of it rather than one". We are talking about Hippowdon where we should be talking about Sandstorm as a whole.

soo why wasn't there any discussion taking place in this thread? I thought the council members were supposed to be moderating discussion in this thread to gain feedback from UU players to make their decision? No offense, but I'm feeling that you guys aren't doing what you guys signed up for.
You guys are already submitting your verdict without any discussion (outside of genVuu channel perhaps).

I posted my thoughts that I shared with SJCrew here, and I was expecting some sort of response from other council members, but seems like it was missed.
This honestly just sounds like "most of the votes are going to be against my opinion so let me voice something in the thread." No offense, but the irc channel is a great place to voice your opinion, and there are a few guys that actively go on and participate in the chat, and we know who they are. Ask them whether we take into consideration what they say.

I haven't submitted my verdict yet because this is a slippery slope and I encourage everyone to join IRC today as most of us will be finalizing paragraphs and we do value the community's input.

i apologize to heysup for the rude absurd comment, that was obviously out of line (although i also obviously feel waste of time was), i just thought your para could have been developed more and has some strange lines (and obviously there will be agreement and disagreement about this)

Pocket

ToF, it may sound that way to you if my opinion opposes yours, I guess. Maybe tell us a specific time when you council members meet up on the channel, so we know when to sign in :/

Tell me if I'm wrong, but didn't the council members signed up to inform and discuss about UU suspects with UU players? Going on irc and chatting it up doesn't really touch the entire interest group you're supposed to be representing. If you don't bring these topics to this suspect thread, it's nothing more than slacking off on your obligations.

The UU senators are EXPECTED to discuss these issues on irc and on the forums. If you're only talking the issues among yourselves and a few other UU visitors, then you're not doing half of your job.

I know you guys are a talented and qualified bunch, and I am willing to trust your final decisions. However, with great privilege comes great responsibilities, and I can't respect people who have access to these privileges without "working for them." Handful of people didn't apply because they knew they couldn't meet the commitment, and here you are, a council member, breaking the expectations drawn out by Jabba.

I am sorry for the harsh criticisms, but you know you can't deny what I just said. It's just disappointing to see the overall inactivity of UU subforums, since I was expecting the UU senate to revive this place.

Anyways, I will certainly be sure to visit #genvuu, whenever I am not pre-occupied, but otherwise you guys should've been initiating / supervising suspect discussion in this thread. The major purpose of this thread is lost otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)