The Dark Horse Project III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

A special thanks goes out to Pocket, who helped me greatly in developing this project and for running the Hall of Fame section, Mafeking for maintaining the Registered Users section, and V0x, who provided thoughts and a grammar check!

Preface:

Check out what's NEW!

Hello! Here we are, the tentative final month of the Dark Horse Project. At the end of this month, we'll finally get to see if we've had any overall change on the centralizing forces of BW OU. If this is your first experience with the Dark Horse Project, please read through the entire opening post to get a sense of what we're about. However, if you're a seasoned veteran in how this works, then feel free to hop right into it! Here's a list of all of the changes from last month's opening post:

• As you can probably see, I've gotten a few helpers for this month's Dark Horse Project. Pocket will be running the Hall of Fame section, while Mafeking will be keeping the Registered Participants post up to date. All three of us are sharing this project as Co-Leaders. If you have any questions, feel free to ask any of us! And make sure to thank them sometime; their efforts are time-consuming and important.

• Since the ladder is not resetting this month, you do not need to start with a new PO account for your past month's Dark Horse Pokemon. However, if you intend to work with one of last month's Hall of Fame Dark Horse Pokemon (this includes you, Hall of Famers), then you must start with a new account at 1000 ladder ranking points. The same goes for if you want to switch Dark Horse Pokemon, as is customary.

• You MUST re-post your Dark Horse Registration Form here. This is a new change this month; the entire Registered Users list has reset! I'll be keeping the old Dark Horse Project topics open for a week so you can grab your forms. Here are the links to Volume 1 and Volume 2. Make sure to re-register soon before I close the old topics!

• All Pokemon that were in last month's Hall of Fame are now fair game! Feel free to register with them once again.

For those of you that are new, hello! I'm posting here to shake up the way in which DST functions and thinks. Ever since we ditched Suspect Voting, DST has lost a bit of its competitive edge. What I'm presenting within this topic is an effort to reignite some of that spark to get us back on track! Furthermore, I hope to increase appreciation for Dark Horse Pokemon, or rather, Pokemon that are currently unpopular but have the potential to shine in OU. The purpose of this project threefold. It should increase diversity in the OU metagame by encouraging the competitive use of great Pokemon that unfortunately fall on the lower end of usage. This project also aims to initiate discussion on how Dark Horse Pokemon fit in the context of the OU metagame. Finally, it should assist in the the sharing of unique team ideas and Pokemon sets to spark creativity into the competitive minds of DST. Let's begin.

Rules:

This project, simply put, aims at recognizing users who put forth the effort to create a competitively successful team that utilizes Pokemon that aren't often used in OU. Anyone with a Smogon account has a chance of reaching the Hall of Fame within this project. Here are the rules by which this project is run:

• Each team must use at least ONE Dark Horse Pokemon. The term "Dark Horse Pokemon" is defined by the past month's statistics. Anything below 5% usage is fair game. This means that a Pokemon can be tiered in OU and still be viable for this project!

• Only one Pokemon on your team has to be a Dark Horse Pokemon. The rest of your teammates can be found within any tier that is allowed within OU.

• The recommended number of Dark Horse Pokemon to register with is one, so that the user can focus specifically on that Pokemon and how to best build a team around it. If you must have more than one, then please indicate that you are working with more than one.

• You MUST use a new Pokemon Online Username in order to restart your ladder ranking. Furthermore, the Dark Horse Pokemon that you are working with must remain on your team throughout your ladder run. The members of your team may shift around whenever you see fit, but the Dark Horse Pokemon must remain the same.

• Switching your focused Dark Horse Pokemon within this topic is acceptable. However, you must restart on the ladder with a new Pokemon Online Username.

• Please put all changes within your Registration Form. I update based on those forms, not individual posts randomly scattered throughout the topic.

• Do not start laddering for this project until you have registered within this topic.

• Please follow the rules. The Dark Horse Project isn't about being dishonest, it's about developing great teams for great Pokemon! As a result, cheaters will most likely end up being banned from the Hall of Fame.

• It is recommended that you post consistent ladder updates within your registration form. This will allow other users to see your progress and offer meaningful advice!

You are eligible to register for the Dark Horse Project at any time of the month! The third post in this topic contains an index for easy access to all participants, so don't worry about your Registration Form getting lost in the sea of discussion. Get started by filling out the below form:

Registration Form said:
Pokemon Online Username:
Hall of Fame Standing:
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:
Current Ladder Standing:
Remember, your "Pokemon Online Username" should be new so that your Dark Horse Pokemon will be starting from scratch. Your "Hall of Fame Standing" should be empty for right now. But once you're admitted into the Hall of Fame, feel free to update this part with links to your accomplishment!

Within your registration post, feel free to upload battle logs and teammates that you are using at the bottom! Also feel free to utilize Pokemon sprites to add visualization. Really anything can go here. If you've made posts elsewhere or even a RMT, feel free to link to it there. Here's an example of what a registration post might look like:

Pokemon Online Username: Birkal-Testing
Hall of Fame Standing: None as of yet!
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Scrafty
Current Ladder Standing: 1125

Here's the current Scrafty set I'm working with:

Scrafty @ Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

And here's a battle log of it in action!

Once you've registered, you're all set to go! You can start teambuilding and laddering whenever you like. Feel free to update your registration posts whenever you like, whether it be with ladder ranking updates, your teammate selections, battle logs, sprites, or whatever you like!

Discussion:

This topic also serves a second purpose to initiate discussion on battlers' teambuilding and laddering progress; in this thread, you share your struggles and success, and reflect upon the Dark Horse Pokemon's niche in the current OU metagame. This thread is not only a place to show off successful challenges, but also a place to help each other achieve their goals via posting your problems and receiving quality input from others. Challengers should not hesitate to post their teams and/or team ideas to receive help from the community. You are allowed to post your thoughts and opinions. However, here is a "Do and Do Not" list that posters in this topic must adhere to:

• Do post and share sets for your Dark Horse Pokemon.
  • Do provide teammates that you're using, with optional sets.
  • Do pinpoint which threats in the metagame need to be covered.
  • Do ask questions about the current OU metagame and teambuilding.
  • Do give meaningful answers to asked questions. This can include suggested sets, teammates, and strategies.

• Do not post insignificant updates. Each post should be well thought and unique.
  • Do not ask someone to make the team for you. Team building is YOUR job (and a fun one at that).

Also, remember that good discussion points and tips will be logged in the Discussion & Learning section for the use of anyone who's looking to become a better battler. Hop to it!

Hall of Fame:

Now comes the competitive aspect of this project. Once you've reached a ranking within the Top 80 on Smogon's competitive OU ladder (with a minimum of 1350 points) with your Dark Horse Pokemon, you are eligible to enter the Hall of Fame! The Hall of Fame is located within the post below the OP and recognizes each user that has entered its halls. Once you've reached the Top 80, please fill out the following Hall of Fame Registration Form:

Hall of Fame Registration Form said:
Pokemon Online Username:
Dark Horse Pokemon:
Screenshot of Top 80 Ladder Ranking:
Dark Horse Pokemon Complete Set:
As with the regular Registration Form, you are encouraged to upload battle logs, teammates, and other relevant information. Since you're entering the Hall of Fame with a successful team, many users would love to hear some wisdom on how you accomplished that goal. So feel free to post a summary of your team (similar to a RMT), battle logs, and general thoughts. Once you've filled out this form, you'll be accepted into the Hall of Fame, which will link to your Hall of Fame Registration Form and other relevant links.

Now, there is one final catch to this project. You see, only one of each Dark Horse Pokemon is allowed into the Hall of Fame per month. For example, only the first challenger who laddered to the Top 80 with Jolteon will be accepted this month; any subsequent Jolteon challengers cannot enter the Hall of Fame until a new round begins next month. That's where the competitive edge comes into play. You are racing against other users for a place in the Hall of Fame! Furthermore, the Hall of Fame ranking is based off of peak ladder ranking points, meaning the more points you score, the higher you'll be placed. So now that you know the rules, get registered and start team building! Best of luck. If you have any questions, send me a PM or VM. I hope to see you in the Hall of Fame.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Credit goes to the highly talented Aluriiya for the above Blitzle image. Used with her personal permission.

Current Hall of Fame (7):

Be one of the few to conquer the Ladder with your Dark Horse, and you will be forever recorded in our Hall of Fame! Remember, admission now requires you to obtain the Top 80 on Smogon's ladder with 1350 ladder points minimum.
- Noodlez -
Kingdra
"Kingdra is a beast once you get rain dance up, you guys should all try this set out!"
Peaked at: 1470 (#9) on 3/4/2012
Entered the Hall of Fame at: 1364 (#72) on 3/2/2012
Kingdra (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Dragon Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Signal Beam

Kingdra (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Sniper
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf

- Bad Ass -
Raikou
Slowbro
"The main goal of the team was to use Nattorei to come in on all the bulky waters and lay hazards while Slowbro gave me a nice core and counter to SS teams (...) Lucario and Raikou played cleanup -- Lucario moreso. I often used Raikou's bulk to handle bulky waters, Gengar, and more special attackers. He also tore down rain teams."
Peaked at: 1446 (#16) on 3/7/2012
Raikou @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
- Volt Switch
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

- Molk -
Virizion
"virizion is just a beast if it sets up, pretty antimeta providing a check to things like rotom-W (...) i used a CM varient because its one of my favorite sets in BW"
Peaked at: 1421 (#37) on 3/18/2012
Entered the Hall of Fame at: 1375 (#70) on 3/17/2012
Virizion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Lady Alex -
Suicune
"This is just a baton pass team I made a loooong time ago, except I got rid of Celebi for Suicune. Suicune worked ok in this team. It's coverage helped frequently, but whatever." "Looking back on it, I guess I was just trying to use Suicune as an inferior Latias, which is something that disappoints me."
Peaked at: 1399 (#46) on 3/8/2012
Entered the Hall of Fame at: 1371 (#70) on 3/8/2012
Suicune @ Chesto Berry
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Rest

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Mew
Deoxys-D
"For mew, I was inspired to use nasty plot mew after having seen snunch's success with it in ST8, and I was not disappointed at all by its performance. Mew is a powerhouse once it gets to +2, and, with deoxys-d support, it has to worry a lot less about barely missing the 1hko like it normally does."
Peaked at: 1374 (#72) on 3/12/2012
Discussion Repsone (below); log replay, 2, 3
Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
- Aura Sphere
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Psychic

Deoxys-D @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Magic Coat

- toshimelonhead -
Porygon2
Victini
Peaked at: 1372 (#73) on 3/9/2012
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Victini @ Fight Gem
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- V-create
- U-turn
- Fusion Bolt
- Brick Break

- Texas Cloverleaf -
Sceptile
"Sceptile's role is usually that of clean up, a job it performs admirably, with Grass/Fighting/Ice getting solid coverage on the majority of the tier. As very little can outspeed Sceptile its quite easy to clean through teams, Giga Drain recovering off any Life Orb and residual damage that may be incurred"
Peaked at: 1367 (#79) on 3/5/2012
RMT
Sceptile (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Overgrow
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Raseri -
Azumarill
Toxicroak
Peaked at: 1361 (#79) on 3/4/2012
Toxicroak (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Azumarill (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

Hall of Fame Archive (22): (click on the poke icon for more info!)

Gold Class: 1499-1450

1. ToF
1/30/12 - 1465 (#18) –

2. Lady Alex
2/11/12 – 1455 (#14) –
(RMT)
1/25/12 – 1355 (#81) -
(Discussion Response)

3. Pearl
1/16/12 - 1455 (#38) –
(ladder update)
2/7/12 – 1385 (#79) –
(icons linked to multiple posts!)

Silver Class: 1449-1400

4. AccidentalGreed
1/22/12 - 1438 (#25) –
(Discussion Response; RMT)

5. ala
1/16/12 – 1433 (#27) –

6. Pwnemon
2/14/12 – 1410 (#27) –
(ladder update)

7. Berserker Lord
1/7/12 – 1409 (#43) -
(ladder update)

8. Zoap
2/20/12 – 1405 (#29) -
(icons linked to multiple posts!)

Bronze Class: 1399-1350

9. lampeskaerm2
2/25/12 – 1390 (#33) -
(log replay; ladder update)
[Total HoF Entry with Spinda: 2]

10. Jcpdragonx
1/15/12 – 1371 (#78) –

11. Noodlez
2/5/12 – 1367 (#77) –

12. ginganinja
1/10/12 – 1363 (#84) –
(Discussion Response; RMT)

13. YAYtears
2/14/12 – 1360 (#70) –
(log replay)

14. Boorego
2/23/12 – 1358 (#70) –

15. ssbm
1/5/12 – 1357 (#87) –
(diff links for each icon!)

16. toshimelonhead
1/10/12 – 1356 (#95) –
(RMT)

17. Patolegend!
2/29/12 – 1354 (#70) –

18. Master of the Six Kings
2/19/12 – 1352 (#79) –

19. fairytale
1/8/12 – 1352 (#100) –

20. ~Mercury~
2/8/12 – 1351 (#72) –

Honorable Mention: < 1350

21. NoJohns
1/5/12 – 1345 (#95) –
(Discussion Response)

22. Metagross66
1/4/12 – 1339 (#98) –

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus

Credit goes to the excellent Xous54 for the above Blitzle image. Used with his personal permission.

Registered Users (**IMPORTANT** Please Read!!):

This month, the registration function will be handled slightly differently! In an effort to reduce needless searching through the out-dated threads for people who may be updating there, I would like everyone to make a post in this thread with a re-registration! This DOES NOT mean that you must restart with a different alt or Pokemon! The re-post is solely in the interest of streamlining the registration process. Additionally, people who are no longer interested in competing in the project will not get on the new list due to not re-registering, reducing overall clutter.

I'll be checking every post here daily, so don't worry about notifying me if you have plans on adding or switching Pokemon! When the post will be updated, of course, will vary depending on your time zone relationship to me and when I'm home from school and stuff like that. However, if you notice that the list has been updated and I've missed you, for whatever accidental reason, please let me know by VM or PM so I can fix it! Thanks guys! :)

If you don't see this post and don't re-register for the project immediately, don't worry! You can register and submit your final ranking in the same post for all I care! For posterity, here is the old list from Volume 2. You can go directly to your post and just copy/paste your registration into this thread and I'll add you to the new list! Thanks much!

There are currently (147) Registered Participants in the Dark Horse Project!

- AasTmO - Snorlax
- AccidentalGreed - None
- Aeromence - Mawile
- afterburn - Feraligatr
- ala - None
- alexwolf - Tangrowth, Deoxys-D
- alphatron - Gallade
- anchorman92 - Sigilyph
- AOPSUser - Victini
- Astrith01 - Raikou, Suicune
- Axmaster68 - None
- Bad Ass - Virizion
- Berry1 - Accelgor
- Berserker Lord - Escavalier
- Birkal - Wobbuffet, Scrafty
- blarajan - Rotom-C, Deoxys-D
- Boorego - Mew
- Brizznetz - Shiftry
- Bruno Magno - Shaymin
- BurningMan - Azelf, Tornadus
- Byrn Dragonstone - Kyurem, Venomoth
- Byrne - None
- Charge - Feraligatr
- Cherub Agent - Steelix
- Cicada - Feraligatr
- complete legitimacy - Azumarill
- czechm8 - Weavile, Zapdos
- DarkBlazeR - Porygon2
- Darkdiglett - Houndoom
- DDRMaster - Porygon2
- Delko - Whimsicott
- Drifloon - Mamoswine
- emirinho - Donphan
- EBeast - Ludicolo
- EnragedBeast - Ludicolo
- EpicTurtle - Hippowdon
- Eradicator - Sharpedo
- erisiascape - Machamp
- Exclamation! - Kyurem
- fairytale - Nidoqueen
- Foster - Slowbro
- FrostFire - Suicune
- ginganinja - None
- GrassBlade - Zapdos, Azelf
- iss - Lanturn
- jaredz99 - Heracross, Ursaring
- Jcpdragonx - None
- jessifer - Lilligant
- Joeyboy - Mew
- Kaitii - Sawsbuck
- Katakiri - Cobalion
- King Serperior - Crobat
- KorKonT - Mew
- Lady_Alex - Chansey, Sableye
- Lady Salamence - Deoxys-D
- lampeskaerm2 - Spinda
- Leethoof - Scrafty
- Lehran - Shaymin
- Lockeness - Latias
- lolnub - Rotom-C
- Lucario_Guy - Chandelure
- LucaroarkZ - Typhlosion
- LuckOverSkill - Cobalion
- MaestroXXVI - None
- Mafeking - Lickilicky
- Malvira - Shaymin
- Master of the Six Kings - Eelektross
- Matthew - Xatu, Gastrodon
- mehbear - Mew
- MetaGross66 - None
- Metal Bagon - Darmanitan
- Mewcario2546 - Dewgong
- mixmaster.mewthree - Magneton, Claydol
- Molk - Quagsire
- mostwanted - Mienshao
- Mr_br_kill - Empoleon
- Mr.L - Porygon2
- MSB - Raikou, Azelf, Sceptile
- NatGeo - Venusaur
- ninja-persian - Togekiss
- NixHex - Jolteon
- NoJohns - None
- Noodlez - Chandelure
- Nubagator - Lanturn, Cobalion
- Omnigross266 - Serperior
- Patolegend! - Nidoking
- Pearl. - Hippowdon, Stoutland
- Pidge - Hippowdon, Deoxys-D
- Plopper - Raikou
- Plusle - Yanmega
- Pocket - Alakazam
- prem - Sceptile, Latias
- Pwnemon - Slowbro, Hydreigon
- Ranger Blue - Hitmontop, Steelix, Empoleon
- Raseri - Weavile
- Razza - Azelf, Cloyster
- ReshiramBlitz - Gardevoir
- Ripamon - Blastoise
- risenreturn - Misdreavus
- Seth Vilo - Roserade, Sableye
- SevilitheArcanine - Shuckle
- Sgt. F***face - Flygon
- ShakeItUp - Mightyena
- shnen - Hariyama
- Showsni - Charizard
- Skore - Slowbro
- skymastergamerpt - Alakazam
- SlimMan - Archeops, Tangrowth
- Sloth105 - Sableye
- Solstice - Machamp
- Soulous - Crawdaunt
- soviet - Rotom-C, Deoxys-D
- spuds4ever - None
- ssbbm - Mightyena
- Stallion - Chandelure, Lilligant, Slowbro
- Stif247 - Mew
- Strobe - Raikou
- t100drat - Sudowoodo
- TalkingLion - Roserade
- Tb_dude - Durant
- Texas Cloverleaf - Sceptile
- Thundur - Mew
- ToF - Tornadus
- toshimelonhead - Venusaur, Sawsbuck
- The Goddamn Batman - Alakazam
- ThePillsburyDoughBoy - Swampert
- The Reptile - Zoroark
- The Silent Storm - Sharpedo
- The Truth - Tornadus
- TropiOUs - Hydreigon
- Twannes - Kyurem
- Tyranitarphantom - Arcanine
- V0x - Scrafty, Wobbuffet
- Valentine - Sharpedo
- Vein - Milotic
- Vemane - Tornadus
- Vix - Flygon, Manetric
- WashedLaundry - Kyurem, Abomasnow, Mamoswine
- waterwarrior - Zapdos
- XcRunner - Uxie
- xtrashine - Chandelure
- YAYtears - Empoleon
- YoungsterKeiran - Azumarill
- younglink27 - Bastiodon, Golbat
- Zoap - Mamoswine, Poliwrath, Abomasnow, Froslass, Jynx
- 2sly4u - Wobbuffet
- ~Mercury~ - Raikou

New List:
(Last Update; through Xanderpitz)
There are currently (63) members participating in the new Dark Horse Project!

- Aeromence - Abomasnow / Froslass / Kyurem
- alexwolf - Dugtrio / Shaymin
- Ambicrow3 - Shuckle
- Bad Ass - Raikou / Slowbro (Success! March 7th)
- badabing - Rotom-Neutral
- Berserker Lord - Escavalier
- Byrn Dragonstone - Metagross / Snorlax
- /B/utterfree - Parasect
- complete legitimacy - Nidoking
- D4RR3N - Cloyster
- Dcae - Delibird
- dragonboy52 - Jynx
- DrunkDemon - Aggron / Bronzong / Chandelure / Hitmontop
- Expert Physics - Tornadus
- finestcrab71 - Swellow / Toxicroak / Scolipede
- "Furry" Furai - None, as Raikou made it to the HoF
- ginganinja - Empoleon
- Harsha - Feraligatr / Tornadus
- HiipFire - Darmanitan
- .I Wish You Well. - None, as Slowbro made it to the HoF
- Iceydude168 - Cobalion
- JSND - Druddigon
- Katakiri - Cobalion
- Lady Alex - Suicune (Success! March 8th) | Mew / Deoxys-D (Success! March 12th)
- lampeskaerm2 - Spinda
- Leethoof - Archeops
- LucaroakZ - Feraligatr
- Mafeking - Togekiss
- Master of the Six Kings - Golurk / Weavile
- Molk - Virizion (Success! March 17th) | Team 2: Kyurem
- mostwanted - Weavile
- MrCookie - Porygon2
- NatGeo - Feraligatr
- Noodlez - Kingdra (Success! March 2nd)
- Novaray - Azelf / Cloyster
- nyttyn - Gorebyss / Gardevoir
- Pikapwnd - Staraptor / Quagsire
- Plaid - Gallade / Bisharp
- Pocket - Nidoking
- Pwnemon - Zapdos / Venusaur / Mienshao
- Raseri - Azumarill / Toxicroak (Success! March 4th) | Jynx (Team 2)
- Razza - Cloyster / Azelf
- Scorpio - Scrafty
- Seth Vilo - Roserade / Sableye
- shuckles my hero - Shuckle
- SlimMan - Carracosta / Rotom-C
- Sloth105 - Ninjask
- Stumpen - None, as Mew made it to the HoF
- SubakSupreme - Gorebyss
- SuperChillarmy - Alakazam
- Texas Cloverleaf - Sceptile (Team 1) (Success! March 5th) | Scrafty / Sableye / Metagross (Team 2)
- ToF - Chansey / Sableye / Sharpedo
- Tomahawk9 - Shaymin / Suicune
- toshimelonhead - Victini / Porygon2 (Success! March 9th)
- toy Soldier - Tornadus
- TropiOUs - Venusaur
- UltiMario - Medicham
- Vix - Flygon / Manetric
- WashedLaundry - Azelf
- winterpetrel - Porygon-Z / Slowbro
- Xanderpitz - Gastrodon / Bouffalant
- YAYtears - Feraligatr
- Yonko7 - Golurk
- Zoap - Mienshao / Azelf

Remember, registration is always OPEN.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Credit goes to the incredible Karite-Kita-Neko for the above Blitzle image. Used because it's free for public use. Huzzah!

Preface:

Welcome to the "Learning and Discussion" section of the Dark Horse Project! I am very excited for what's going to take place here, which will mainly be to catalog any meaningful tidbits of advice for public use. This is something new that we'll be working on as a team. As a result, this is currently under construction. However, I've devised a list of questions that you can feel free to answer at any point. Remember, it's not just the answers to these questions that will get posted here; any meaningful advice that you give also has a shot of making it here! I hope this resource can be insightful and meaningful for anyone who's looking to improve their skills with Dark Horse Pokemon.

If you ever see a tidbit or piece of advice that you deem as valuable and would like to see posted here, I'll consider it if you send me a PM with the necessary information. I'll also take questions that you'd like to see answered if you're willing to provide them and add them to the below list. Thanks for your help!

With Pocket and Mafeking now on board, I will be dedicating my full attention to this post. So expect some information up here very soon (from all three Dark Horse Projects)!

Questions:

Birkal said:
How did you choose your Dark Horse Pokemon for this project? What lead you to choose the Pokemon you did? Did you have regrets or were you happy with your selection?

How did you go about building a team for your Dark Horse Pokemon? Which kinds of teammates did you consider? What factors contributed to the team you created?

Do you think it is more difficult or less difficult to ladder with a Dark Horse Pokemon? Why? Does the element of surprise play a factor in your battles? Is it easier to fight with a "highly used"" team or with Pokemon that are less common?

(For Hall of Fame members only) How did you reach the Hall of Fame? Was it easy or difficult? Did having a Dark Horse Pokemon on your team benefit you? What advice would you give to those laddering with Dark Horse Pokemon?

(For Non-Hall of Fame members only) What was the most challenging aspect of this project? What did you learn the most from your experience with Dark Horse Pokemon? How has your learning from this project changed the way you battle?

Again, feel free to answer any of these questions! It can be anything from a few sentences to an essay. Sharing your learning and thoughts is an incredibly important part of this project. So get writing and keep on laddering! We've still got a few more days to accept entries into the Hall of Fame. Keep it up!

Pokemon Online Username: aeromence22
Hall of Fame Standing: Ya
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Abomasnow / Froslass / Kyurem
Current Ladder Standing: 1284

Code:
[IMG]http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/460.gif[/IMG]
Abomasnow (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 216 Atk / 184 SAtk / 108 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect
Code:
[IMG]http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/478.gif[/IMG]
Froslass (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball / Blizzard
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray / Disable
Code:
[IMG]http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/646.gif[/IMG]
Kyurem @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 236 SAtk / 216 Spd
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute

Full Team for anyone that cares:
Code:
[IMG]http://sprites.pokecheck.org/b/212.gif[/IMG]
Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 120 HP / 216 Atk / 160 SDef / 12 Spd
- Quick Attack
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower

[IMG]http://sprites.pokecheck.org/b/121.gif[/IMG]
Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 16 HP / 12 Def / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin
- Blizzard

[IMG]http://sprites.pokecheck.org/b/639.gif[/IMG]
Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Aerial Ace

[IMG]http://sprites.pokecheck.org/b/478.gif[/IMG]
Froslass (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray

[IMG]http://sprites.pokecheck.org/b/646.gif[/IMG]
Kyurem @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 236 SAtk / 216 Spd
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute

[IMG]http://sprites.pokecheck.org/b/460.gif[/IMG]
Abomasnow (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 216 Atk / 184 SAtk / 108 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect
Froslass is incredibly fun :) try it, it single handedly beats any offencive non-weather team, and it can hax past stall teams. Without a doubt the MVP of every battle, which is weird considering the team was built around Kyurem :|

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Pokemon Online Username: Pwnemalt
Hall Of Fame Standing: Silver
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Zapdos, Slowbro, Roserade, Mienshao
Current Ladder Standing: 1000

shit i wanna be silver. My ACTUAL peak:

well actually my truest peak was 22 but i forgot to screenshot and this is CLOSE ENOUGH

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Re registering

Pokemon Online Username:SusanCoffey
Hall of Fame Standing:None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Empoleon
Current Ladder Standing (rating?): 1240

Quick Question.

I have returned to laddering after spending a month building 50+ teams, many of which (not intentionally) include Dark Horse pokemon ( 8 "perfect" Teams with another 15-20 needing finishing touches).

Im going to be testing these teams and aiming to get as high up the ladder as possible. My question is do I need to create a separate account each time in order to use them under the Dark Horse Project or is there something else I could do. Ideally I don't want to create 15-20 odd alts for such a limited period of time so iI was wondering if (as leader of the Dark Horse Project) you might have an idea or two to help me avoid that.

Cheers!

First time registering

Pokemon Online Username: Reckless Ska
Hall of Fame Standing: none....
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Staraptor and Quagsire

Pokemon Online Username: The Boys
Hall of Fame Standing: none
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Cloyster

PokemonOnline Username: Spindaah
HoF Standing: January and February. Now we go for March.
Darkhorse Pokemon: Spinda
Current Rank: 1000

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ginganinja, you're in HoF :o

You can register multiple mons per alt if they are in the same team. However, you need to start from blank when laddering with a different team.

Pokemon Online username: Vix (yay for not playing OU for who knows how long!)
Hall of fame status: if I ever get here I will still be shocked
Dark horse pokemon currently working with : Flygon, manetric
Current ladder standing:35380 lol

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Online Username: Stables?
Hall of Fame Standing: N/A
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Golurk
Current Ladder Standing: 1050

Pocket

Updated, Pwnemon's HoF status :) Make sure to keep us up-to-date with your ladder peaks via visual proof and updating your registration post!

Sayonara

don't forget
Pokemon Online Username: Kira Light
Hall of Fame Status: None

Dark horse Pokemon currently working with: Tornadus
Current ladder standing: 1125 Points

Pocket

Pokemon Online Username: The Boys
Hall of Fame Standing: none
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Mamoswine
Sorry, D4RR3N, but Mamoswine has been above 5% usage since January, so it's not a Dark Horse :o. I also removed Mamoswine in Zoap's HoF, since that was also a mistake. Make sure to check this month's usage statistics!

Pokemon Online Username: Dildro
Dark Horse Pokemon: Kingdra
Screenshot of Top 80 Ladder Ranking:

Dark Horse Pokemon Complete Set:
I used two different Kingdra sets while laddering on this alt.

Kingdra (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
- Rain Dance
- Dragon Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Signal Beam

Kingdra (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Sniper
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf

Kingdra is a beast once you get rain dance up, you guys should all try this set out ! SpecsDra is also pretty nice, try him out too!

Pocket

ROTFL, amazing work, Noodlez, landing yourself into Hall of Fame before anyone else - in a matter of hours o_o;; Feel free to continue riding on your ladder escalator to steal the top spot in HoF archive!

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pocket, I just realised that someone else also used Empoleon to get into the HoF. Should I cancel my challenge and use a new pokemon?

Pocket

That is the HoF ARCHIVE. The only person who made it to Hall of Fame this month is Noodlez, who used Kingdra, so you're safe to use Empoleon.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Pokemon Online Username: Last Hope
Hall of Fame Standing: None yet
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Raikou

Raikou @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Pokemon Online Username: Dragonzdark (**alt changed on 12th March)
Hall of Fame Standing: N/A
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Jynx
Current Ladder Standing: None yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)