The Dark Horse Project III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
rotfl, wow, those are some TRIPPY Mew sets you got there, Mafe (even though it's for UU :P)

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
I decided to take on the tough challenge of using Delibird in OU. To my surprise, Delibird does pull his own weight by using powerful priority moves and destroys opponents who are generally dumbfounded at the sight of Delibird. I use it generally as a late game cleaner, finishing off pokes weakened by Sand and my other pokes. My other Dark Horse poke is Mew. I chose the NP set using Psychic + Aura Sphere + Shadow Ball, which really catches opponents offguards and hits very hard. My main early game sweeper, it immediately sets up a couple of Nasty Plots and begins attacking with perfect coverage.

Here is an importable:

Delibird (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Fake Out
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

Gliscor (M) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 82 Atk / 176 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SDef)
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch

Mew @ Life Orb
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Rest
- Rapid Spin
I must say, however, that the star of the team is AcroBat Gliscor. What an amazing poke. It gets behind a Sub against a slower poke, sets up SD, and proceeds to sweep. My main poke killer, it is immensely useful in defeating/weakening my opponents. After roughly 15 minutes of laddering, I have attained ~1120, but have yet to break the top 80.

Nice to see all the talk of mew usage in this thread, paticuliarily the np mew usage, it's such an underutilized set.
Well lets try to get better than bronze rank this time around.

Pokemon Online Username:Boooorego
Hall of Fame Standing:none for this account atm.
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:Mew!!!
Current Ladder Standing:1000

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Mafe, If you want original sets, how about my Defensive Roserade (you read that right)

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Bold
Natural Cure
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
-Toxic Spikes
-Sleep Powder
-Rest
-Giga Drain

Before you try and ask what possessed me to run a bulky mon with fully invested 60/55 defenses: I don't know. But now that I've pioneered this set, it's one my team couldn't live without. What makes Roserade amazing is its carefully crafted move pool in combination with its ability and stellar defensive typing. Grass/poison resists Electric and Water and Grass, while being neutral to Rock, Bug, Ground, and Steel. That means that it's a full stop to rotom-W, but the real beauty is that it's impossible to OHKO by a combination of Volt Switch + ScarfLando/BandZor. So in theory Rosey hard counters VolTurn, and in practice he does absorb the nasty tspikes

In reality of course that's not true. That's why it has Natural Cure + Rest. I can't tell you how many people have gone for a 3 or 4hko while I spike up only to Rest in their face. It makes me tear up every time. It's that beautiful

If only Roserade had a bit more defense...

I've actually stuck with a less gimmicky set: I'm using a more offensive version of Zarator's Feraligatr and a standard Tornadus. The team has been doing much better on the ladder with Pocket's suggestions, as I dropped from 1221 to 1157 and then when right back up after implementing them to 1236. :)

The biggest problem I have had is a lack of a spinner, but I have found that if I lead with Terrakion, I can often put the opponent on the back foot and then take the momentum without the use of a VoltTurn core. So... Top 400! Woohoo! Once I break 1300 we get serious. B)

My biggest problem right now is my playstyle; I get Stealth Rock down too late meaning that my opponent gets all the switches he or she wants, but that's my fault. Oddly enough, Jirachi has pulled its weight. However, Conkeldurr is arguably my biggest problem. Politoed OHKOes Conkeldurr after SR damage, but as I said, I need SR down. The reason behind this is that I usually paralyze threats with Ferrothorn instead of using SR. Is that bad, or am I doing the right thing?

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sorry to you guys who picked mew, but I made it xD. I used to be pretty leery of nasty plot mew, thinking that it didn't really have enough power to do what it needed, but I am no longer of that opinion. It's so great late game after faster pokemon have been done away with. It's also really nice when people expect the stallbreaker set, only to eat a nasty plotted psychic.

@pwnemon- I've tried physically defensive roserade too, and It's a pretty neat pokemon. One of the things I really liked about it was its ability to stay in on landorus without getting 1hkod by EQ in the sand. Too bad the team I used it on sucked DX

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I've actually stuck with a less gimmicky set: I'm using a more offensive version of Zarator's Feraligatr and a standard Tornadus. The team has been doing much better on the ladder with Pocket's suggestions, as I dropped from 1221 to 1157 and then when right back up after implementing them to 1236. :)

The biggest problem I have had is a lack of a spinner, but I have found that if I lead with Terrakion, I can often put the opponent on the back foot and then take the momentum without the use of a VoltTurn core. So... Top 400! Woohoo! Once I break 1300 we get serious. B)

My biggest problem right now is my playstyle; I get Stealth Rock down too late meaning that my opponent gets all the switches he or she wants, but that's my fault. Oddly enough, Jirachi has pulled its weight. However, Conkeldurr is arguably my biggest problem. Politoed OHKOes Conkeldurr after SR damage, but as I said, I need SR down. The reason behind this is that I usually paralyze threats with Ferrothorn instead of using SR. Is that bad, or am I doing the right thing?
You're not. I've trained myself and you should too; at the earliest possible opportunity get a free turn with Ferro you MUST rock up. On a first KO, Ferro. On any free switch, Ferro. Rocks, always. Besides, Ferro is so bulky he can usually set up Rocks and then t-wave. If you're running ScarfRachi I don't see how you're worried about paralyzing things anyway

Yeah, I've been doing so now, and it's working a bit. I've had to convert my team though. Now I'm running Scarf Politoed and I've made Jirachi a Wish variant to help me out, with a bit of Attack investment on the side.

Since I just started yesterday my team hasn't quite made it. I also went on a bit of a tilt at the beggining (a -73,+17 match ugh) so I have just broken back through a 1000. SO far the team works well, with my two main sweepers, Metagross and Lucario, absolutely decimating if they get a sweeping chance. I was using Torterra for rocks and as a Physical pivot, and he was working really well, till I hit the rain Zone (Between approximately 1000-1100 almost everyone uses rain for some reason). At that point his secondary typing really let him down so I ended up switching him to Celebi. Snorlax was also working well, but I was really getting trashed by the weathers other then sand so I ended up switching to a BandTar for pursuiting and weather control. Latios and Landorus round off the team providing Special muscle and speed respectively. Latios seems to be dead weight sometimes then the very next match absoolutely wrecks them with Specs Draco Meteors.

Anyways here is the team. Any suggestions are welcome.

Metagross @ Life Orb
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spd
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Agility

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Punch

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Yeah that was what I thought. The next couple battles were rather big variations too (+45,-9 and +57,-15) so I don't know if it was just the time or whatnot but it was strange.

If you want to prevent such large variations, you can always check the ±200 clause when you click the Find Battle button.

Yo Mafe, you probably don't but remember how I forgot the password for my registered alt and then said I'd take a week off before registering a new alt?

Well I forgot to register my new one. Do I have to start all over again, or can I just register this current one? I promise I've only used it with this particular Dark Horse team..........

Pokemon Online Username:imdabes
Hall of Fame Standing: -
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:Darmanitan
Current Ladder Standing:1000

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
It's a project that aims to show that pokemon who aren't used as frequently are viable in today's OU metagame. Any pokemon whose usage is less than 5% in the previous month's statistics is eligible to be considered a dark horse. In order to make the hall of fame, you have to reach rank 80 or better on the OU ladder on smogon with a rating of at least 1350. It's really fun :)

I'm having some fun with Alakazam. Peaked at around the 1300s before getting plagued with some bad hax. I've found that Zam has some good offensive synergy with SD Luke.

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yo Mafe, you probably don't but remember how I forgot the password for my registered alt and then said I'd take a week off before registering a new alt?

Well I forgot to register my new one. Do I have to start all over again, or can I just register this current one? I promise I've only used it with this particular Dark Horse team..........
Eh, just update your original post here. It's all good.

Lady Alex sucks now I'm gonna cry and run something silly like Purugly just to whine about Mew. </3

I'll update this later tonight (in like 2 hours), sorry if this inconveniences anyone for whatever reason? ^_^

EDIT: The hotel I'm at right now apparently refuses to let me edit a post the size of the Registered Participants list, so today's update will have to be postponed until tomorrow. My apologies :3

Pokemon Online Username: get green
Hall of Fame Standing: N/A
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: rotom-n
Current Ladder Standing: dgf

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Updated the Hall of Fame with Lady Alex's double-psychic wonder! Way to beat ~3 other challengers in an impressive ladder sprint! You're the only challenger to not only succeed every installment of Dark Horse, but to have multiple successful runs within a single month!

Congrats for your major success with that team Lady Alex! Honestly, I think the MVP here is by far Deoxys-D. With this viral alien around, HO still kicks butt, and your quick success only reinforces this under-appreciated Pokemon. I am glad that you can also appreciate the utility of Magic Coat on Deoxys-D - it's probably one of the few mons who can pull off that move effectively. I urge you to stick with this team and see if you can go higher on the ladder!

I think the one weakness to teams such as yours is Volcarona, who can possibly sweep this team if it leads against Deoxys-D. Dragonite is thus useful for checking this large threat. Scarf Landorus may provide you a more reliable check, as well as an additional Volt-Turn abuser / check to Sand. Scarf Infernape, Scarf Mienshao, and Scarf MoxieMence are all viable options that you may possibly want to consider over Dragonite's spot.

Again, Congrats Lady Alex for your impressive feat!

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
Updated the Hall of Fame with Lady Alex's double-psychic wonder! Way to beat ~3 other challengers in an impressive ladder sprint! You're the only challenger to not only succeed every installment of Dark Horse, but to have multiple successful runs within a single month!

Congrats for your major success with that team Lady Alex! Honestly, I think the MVP here is by far Deoxys-D. With this viral alien around, HO still kicks butt, and your quick success only reinforces this under-appreciated Pokemon. I am glad that you can also appreciate the utility of Magic Coat on Deoxys-D - it's probably one of the few mons who can pull off that move effectively. I urge you to stick with this team and see if you can go higher on the ladder!

I think the one weakness to teams such as yours is Volcarona, who can possibly sweep this team if it leads against Deoxys-D. Dragonite is thus useful for checking this large threat. Scarf Landorus may provide you a more reliable check, as well as an additional Volt-Turn abuser / check to Sand. Scarf Infernape, Scarf Mienshao, and Scarf MoxieMence are all viable options that you may possibly want to consider over Dragonite's spot.

Again, Congrats Lady Alex for your impressive feat!
Thanks so much ^_^. You're completely right about volcarona. It's crucial that dragonite stays at max health otherwise it's a guaranteed 6-0 if it ever gets a free switch in. If they're carrying hp ice, I have zero options against it. I've been thinking about using either scarf Landorus or scarf moxiemence, so I think I'm going to try those suggestions out. Thanks ;D

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Online Username: koum kapi 2
Hall of Fame Standing: none
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Dugtrio, Shaymin
Current Ladder Standing: 1000

@
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Arena Trap
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Reversal
- Aerial Ace

@
Nature: Modest
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice
- Rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)