The Concert Thread

I've been to a few:
Silversun Pickups (An Horse and Cage the Elephant opened for them)
Dredg (Judgement Day opened)
Brand New (Glass Jaw and Manchester Orchestra opened)
Portugal. The Man (Drug Rug and Hockey opened)
The Fall of Troy (THEIR LAST SHOW OF ALL TIME OMFG IT WAS SO INTENSEEEEEE AHHHHH also Twin Atlantic and Envy On The Coast opened)
MGMT (I don't remember the opening band they really weren't good)
Circa Survive (Animals As Leaders and CodeSeven opened)
Habib Koite and Bamada (African super group, amazing act)
Bela Fleck's Africa Project (Bela Fleck performing songs from Tales from the Acoustic Planet Vol. 3 along with the African musicians who he found in the 5 years he spent there)

I also had tickets to see Anthony Green and The Dear Hunter on the first night of their Beautiful Things tour but couldn't go due to conflicts with wrestling season :(

The Fall of Troy's last show ever was definitely a life changing experience. I had never really listened to them and wasn't into screamed vocals too much and whenever my girlfriend would put them on in the car I loved their music but at the same time couldn't stand it. My friends all convinced me to go see them because it was the last night in spring break and they all absolutely loved them. Plus it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, so I said fuck it I'll go. I could not have possibly imagined how awesome it would be. Envy on the Coast was as amazing as I expected, and Twin Atlantic was surprisingly good. About an an hour and fifteen minutes into the show, The Fall of Troy walked on stage. Thomas Erak had a joint in his mouth, and he puffed it a few times and the band passed it around among themselves. He flicked the joint into the crowd and then they got into a little slow, peaceful little jam. The crowd was fully erect with anticipation, they had all come to beat the shit our of eachother moshing in honor of what was bound to be a mind blowing final performance. Then it happened, Thomas broke into the intro of What Sound Does a Mastodon Make? aka my favorite song ever. The rest is a crazy, bloody blur, I moshed my fucking ass off and took several breaks to smoke a bowl and a couple blunts with some other people in the crowd. At one point when they played a couple slower songs literally everyone in the crowd was singing along, and singing all the backup vocal parts too. Luckily those were some of their songs that I actually knew, so I got to partake. There was just so much craziness and amazing music I can't say anymore without rambling. Heres some videos:

The beginning of the show
The part where everyone sang along, they also mixed in some Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer covers into this song it was awesome

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've been to quite a lot. Festivals include Leeds since 2008, all Sonispheres gone, T in 2010, Download '09 and Sziget 2010 in Budapest

Also a ridiculous amount of concerts. That's basically all I spent my money on when I was 16-18. Highlights include Muse at Wembley, Them Crooked Vultures, and Foo Fighters at MKBowl. I can't even think about listing the smaller gigs i've been to, but at last count, bands I've seen was well over 250. Not tooting my own horn, but beep beep.

I do have tickets to the re-organised Blink 182 tour, but I'll be in America, so I guess warped will have to make do again...

I'm going to see Of Montreal on saturday. Also, I met Andrew Bird after his concert a few weeks ago.

Oh yeah, I forgot, my friend is taking me to Edward Sharpe.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
i have tickets for andrew bird in early may

i saw edward sharpe last year or maybe it was two years ago now on governor's island. that was fun. put on a good show.

I've only seen a bunch of christian bands that probably no one has ever heard of like Newsboys, Hawk Nelson x2, Sanctus Real, Falling Up, Sidewalk Prophets, David Crowder Band, KJ-52, Casting Crowns and Third Day.(You actually might of heard of those last two)

The only "big name" band I've seen is RED, which was pretty awesome, but I'm not really big on concerts since I'm agoraphobic. Only reason I went to those is because my friends dragged me along, I rather just sit at home and listen to the music.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I'm going to see Of Montreal on saturday. Also, I met Andrew Bird after his concert a few weeks ago.

Oh yeah, I forgot, my friend is taking me to Edward Sharpe.
oh my god. of Montreal is bloody brilliant. I almost forgot they existed until I read this post. hope you have heaps fun.

I'm going to see Overkill in May, I was supposed to see the Melvins on the 25th of this month but I had to replace my old pair of glasses that were recently stolen at school.

I've never been a frequent visitor of concerts, but as a big Red Hot Chili Peppers fan I just had to go when they were playing in Rotterdam, Holland, quite close to my home last year. Damn man, those guys are in their 50s and still rocking it, I could highly suggest their concerts, they're still as good as they've always been.

First band I ever saw was Metallica in 08, seen them twice more since then (The 08 show was fucking amazing, great setlist and energy from the band and the crowd). The 09 show had great support acts too (specifically ALICE IN CHAINS who were incredible). 08 wins for having "Fade to Black" on the set though.

Saw a couple of other random shows that other members of my family were going to and I tagged along. Green Day, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC. All pretty good (Green Day do a pretty good show!)

Summer last year was incredible though. Went to the High Voltage festival in London and got to see several great bands (Judas Priest, Black Country Communion, Thin Lizzy) and the headliners of the second night, Dream Theater, are one of my favourite bands and oh my gosh they were phenomenal. "Learning to Live" might just be the greatest song I've ever seen live.

Then in August last year I saw Iron Maiden, who are my favourite band. They are every bit as amazing live as I'd heard. "Hallowed Be Thy Name", "Dance of Death" and "Fear of the Dark" were absolutely amazing live songs. Dragonforce supported and were a lot better than I'd heard they would be.

Oh, and I saw Darkest Era (pretty much the only band from my small Northern Irish county to be signed currently) at a local pub gig a while back. They put on a great show.

I saw the Melvins last night with Unsane opening. Unsane was pretty damn good and I am going to add them to my check out stuff from in the near future list. The Melvins were simply amazing to watch live. Coady, Jared, Dale, and Buzz a.k.a. King Buzzo were all just in sync and played perfect. I got the setlist from one of the band's roadies after the Melvins left the stage. The roadie handed in to my uncle (who I invited because I had an extra ticket due to winning them in a contest on The Loft's Facebook Page), whom handed it to me. Any one of you Nirvana fan boys who worship Kurt Cobain but never check out any of the bands he loved and talked about in interviews and journals, do yourself a favor and listen to the Melvins now!

I took this at my morning high school (of technology, which is three periods / hours long). My buddy let me borrow his orange and green shades since it matched my shirt. My hair is still poofy from all the constant head banging at the show the night before (I showered in the morning with a shower cap on to get some extra sleep)., not to mention I also head bang pretty much any time I'm listening to rock / metal that is head bangable.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Going to a house show with a friend's band and two other bands playing. Shit's going to be intense.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
First concert I went to was when I saw Metallica in San Diego in December 2008. My girlfriend's dad had three tickets but only two people in their family wanted to go, so, with her dad's approval, she asked me if I wanted to go and I convinced my parents to let me go. To this day I'm thankful that I was offered the opportunity to go to that concert, because Metallica put up a great show.

I've seen Bullet for my Valentine twice, once at Uproar Festival, both were great. First time I saw them, I was standing right next to the speakers. I already had trouble hearing even back then, and after that concert I still felt like I couldn't hear anything the next day. I saw Slayer and Megadeth live as well, and though they're not my favorite out of the "Big Four", I thought they were good when I saw them.

I went to Uproar Festival twice, and saw Avenged Sevenfold play both times I went. A7X isn't my favorite band, but they had the best stage performance I've ever seen. They were just great. Not to say Disturbed wasn't good when I saw them there, because they were good too. Uproar also led to me discovering new bands I never would be listening to otherwise, such as Halestorm and Hail the Villain.

First concert I saw was Emnem's Anger management tour in 2005 when I was like 12 years old.It was right after his third album dropped so it was all of his greatest songs from his first 3 albums( and his two d-12 albums). I had lawn seats so I didnt expect to be getting close to the artists but I was lucky enough to recieve daps(shake hands) from Lil' Jon during his performance.50 Cent performed. Lil Jon/Pitbull/Ying Yang Twins performed.Drunk topless bitches got wasted.All in all a fucking wild night for a 12 year old.

About 6 months ago I saw Lil Wayne in concert when I first moved out to Cali which was pretty good too.It was two days before his C4 album dropped so I got to here songs from that album as well as his previous hits. Rick Ross ,Tyga, and Far East Movement performed as well.

As far as future concerts go I dont have anything planned but I would love to see Rise Against play live.

I've been to three shows myself:
Easter 2011: Saw The Ocean (bleh), Job For a Cowboy (good if that's your thing), and Between the Buried and Me (awesome). Great first show.
May (?) 2011: Saw Animals as Leaders (FANTASTIC), Intronaut (also great), and Dead letter Circus (eh). This show turned me on to Intronaut, so I'm really glad I went
November 2011: Saints and Sinners Tour with TesseracT, Animals as Leaders, and Between the Buried and Me. Just wow.

I don't know exactly what I'm doing show-wise in the near future, except Baroness will be playing in Chicago sometime in May or June I think, so I'll be there.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
hi guys, anyone with experience of camping out for a concert? Apart from essentials, what should I have with me? and what should I do with belongings after the night is over (sleeping bags etc.)?

Bought tickets yesterday to see Deftones and System of a Down in Philadelphia. I've seen Deftones play before and know they put a good show on. Of course, I have high expectations for SOAD.

Bumping this.

I went to a Childish Gambino concert last night at my school and he was amazing. He's got such stage presence and he really knows how to work a crowd; everyone was so into it and knew all the lyrics. Here's some of my photos; working on uploading videos now and I'll post them if anyone wants me to.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Videos yes please I absoltely love Childish Gambino. Been looking out for an opportunity to see him live for a while now but it just hasn't popped up

Seeing Crystal Castles early next year which should be a blast, but I'm currently tossing up whether or not to see Beirut play in a month or so.
Can anyone comment on the atmosphere of their live performances?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)