Counter That Uber Pokémon! - Teambuilder [Team 1 Voting!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Counter That Uber Pokémon! - Teambuilder

Thanks to Texas Cloverleaf for the OP, which was stolen from JabbaTheGriffin, which was stolen from Phillip7086.

This project is similar to Community Create-a-Team but it doesn't try to build a team that's going to go out and wreck the metagame, but rather a team that simply beats the other team that's created. That's right, as in Counter That Pokemon! Two teams are made by you, Uberers, by submitted sets that are geared both towards countering the other team and providing solid support/teammates to the rest of its own team.

As for how this will work, for the first day people (you guys!) will post a full set (evs, nature, etc) that you'd like to see Team 1 built around! Provide some reasoning too for why users should choose your set. After it's voted on and decided, then we'll pick the first Pokemon for team 2 (it goes 1, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1).

Voting will occur after one day and will last for a day, using a manual voting system (you posting). At the end of the day the submission with the most votes will join that particular team. At the very end, once all 12 Pokemon have been chosen, the two users who have the most sets chosen to be on the team will battle each other using the two teams that are created. Worth working for this, eh? You may only post one set per day, though, and are not allowed to vote for yourself!

Just a tip, the first pokemon should be an aggressive, powerful, and dangerous threat in the Ubers metagame. Don't start with a Chansey; it would just make it easy. Extreme Killer Arceus can come into consideration here, though it can be easily stopped by team 2, if they use Skarmory or Giratina. There also is no limit of a playstyle; it should be decided on your Pokemon and your votes!

So, get your choices straight, and let's get this going!

--------------------

Poppy's protip:

Poppy said:
Hello!

I'd like to attempt to persuade my eager, budding, and undoubtedly intelligent Ubers players to really exert their logic circuits and their common sense mains. When playing this game take a moment to concern not only which Pokemon go where, but also the pick order.

Of course, I am convinced that the more cunning of you have recognized the value of picking later as opposed to earlier. Picking Pokemon that influence team style is generally a bad idea, weather summoners, Pokemon with hard counters, niche counters, I advise against picking all of these earlier. The reason being that you want to bait the opposing team into making the least good pick possible; showing your big guns at the start encourages counter picks to your strongest and most integral Pokemon, something you definitely do not want.

In the case of Hippowdon being an early pick, standard sand has trouble with a few Pokemon, and has an easy time with a lot of others. I could very well be a wily wormwood and shut my mouth until team 1's last pick and smack on a Fighting or Water Arceus, which sand teams are typically weak to. There are more options: I could use Jolly Balloon Excadrill, Choice Specs Kyogre, etc. Furthermore, now team 1 will never use Ho-Oh, a Pokemon sand teams typically have little trouble with.

The inflexibility and transparency of revealing full sets in addition to the Pokemon make this a different ballgame for the less astute. Pick discreetly, with the intention to bait, befoul, bludgeon, barf upon, and generally bring waste to the opposition.

Deoxys@ life orb
ev's: 252spe/252spa/4atk
nature: mild
-psycho boost
-substitute
-superpower
-hidden power fire

power, power, power this set is so destructive as an offensive lead or a late gamer, the moves are mostly obvious although the slashes on thunder and hidden power respectively are in case deoxys is on a weather team, it also acts as a buffer to priority or status.
this set has some issues with bulky steels especially if hidden power is removed for substitute

Furai

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Interesting submission, The QWAZ! Deoxys-A is indeed a total monster, capable of tearing teams apart with its 180 offenses. I would like to nominate this:

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Trait: Bad Dreams
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Dark Void
- Focus Blast

Darkrai is dangerous enough to completely shut teams down with Nasty Plot and Dark Void. I am submitting this set because most of the time Darkrai is not used properly; be it having Ice Beam or Thunderbolt within its moveset, Focus Sash or Choice Scarf as the item, or just a terrible play. Darkrai is definetly a threatening Pokemon in Ubers and its one of the greatest annoyances to Stall, be it sun or rain. Substitute and Leftovers are very solid options over Focus Blast and Life Orb respectively, but it's really up to the user. I like it as it because the coverage is just insane and SubDarkrai is extremely common, so I want to give this set more recognition.

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Standard Scarf Kyogre, I don't think much needs to be said here. It's one of the most powerful pokemon in the game, arguably the best revenge killer, and thanks to it's ability drizzle, it re-shapes the ubers metagame by providing support to a ton of useful pokemon. It's also very easy to build creative, effective teams around kyogre. I'd love to grab this beast first before the opposing team has a chance too.

Dialga @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor
- Aura Sphere
- Thunder

Since every Pokemon has a counter, I think the best option for the first slot is a threatening offensive mon that can use the turn the opponent switches to a counter to its advantage. The best option for this is obviously entry hazards. Dialga is one of the best options for this, as it has a very threatening 150 base SpA and powerful Dragon STAB.
Btw, shouldn't slashes be disallowed as it kinda interferes with the purpose of this thread?

Furai

Yeah, I agree with Tomahawk. Please refrain from posting slashes within your sets! Noting other options in your post is fine, but we're eventually going to use the set itself.

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Trait: Air Lock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower

Well, even though it isn't used a lot, DD-Rayquaza is quite a threat to the Metagame (well, at least if it does get it's set-up). Flamethrower is better than Overheat or Fireblast because good Stallplayers can predict and get the Drop (so Skarm is happy) and Misses suck annyway.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Zekrom @ Life Orb
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage
- Substitute
- Hone Claws

Fast Life Orb Zekrom is something you pretty much never see, even with no HP Ferrothorn will never break your subs with Power Whip or Gyro Ball and you can 2hko it in return with + 1 Bolt Strike. It's also faster than pretty much all base 90s and no speed Lugia so it can get a nice lategame sweep going when Scarfers are out of the way.

I have removed all the slashes from my post. At the moment i really like poppys zekrom and tomahawks daigla

Hugendugen

Noam Chompsky.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
<@Nexsux> Kyogre @ Leftovers
<@Nexsux> Ability: Drizzle
<@Nexsux> EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
<@Nexsux> Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
<@Nexsux>- Rest
<@Nexsux>- Scald
<@Nexsux>- Sleep Talk
<@Nexsux>- Calm Mind

kyogre with a bit of sp.def and a calm nature is much more willing to take on Draco Meteors and Thunders thrown around, 100/140 special defence is insane and this set abuses it better than a bold spread. This set is quite cool, give it a shot it won't disappoint.

Mewtwo @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psystrike
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Mewtwo is basically uncounterable, bar stupid shit like SpDef Dark Arceus -___-. Mewtwo can get a mid game sweep, a late game sweep, hell, it can even revenge stuff!

(Shadow Claw can be used over Protect but i feel that

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Palkia @ Lustrous Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
-Spacial Rend
-Surf
-Outrage
-Fire Blast

This Palkia is a beast that can fake a Choice Scarf set and then roast Ferrothorn to oblivion. It has huge SAtk with Lustrous Orb and with Outrage it can 2HKO Chansey. Bonus points for working under Rain and Shine.

"Mewtwo is basically uncounterable, bar stupid shit like SpDef Dark Arceus"
Yeah, but this is called Counter that Pokemon for a reason. If team 1 starts with Mewtwo, team 2's first pick will be a Mewtwo counter, such as Dark Arceus.

"This Palkia is a beast that can fake a Choice Scarf set"
I doubt it. The eventual battle will be with the teams listed in the OP; both players know the exact teams so no trying to fake something.

Furai

Poppy's Zekrom

I feel that this is really hard to counter, and unlike most other nominations it doesn't become useless when the other team slaps on a dedicated counter. I'm not saying I don't like the other sets, but using Kyogre as the first Pokemon means Team 2 can just use something like Gastrodon and Kyogre will be deadweight because it can't do anything. Zekrom on the other hand can set up a Sub on a switch and then even something like Groudon will have to tank two LO Outrages which can do upwards to 80%.

Hugendugen's Cro-Ogre

And i suggest leftovers > LO in Poppy's set, subs + LO it's kinda suicidal. Also, Ferrothorn has Iron Barbs. On other hand, Cro-Ogre is a fukin beast.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, here's what I'm going to say about my Zekrom's item choice - with Life Orb guaranteed 2HKO on Ferrothorn and Phys.Def Groudon at + 1 with Bolt Strike and Outrage, respectively. Groudon only has a minute chance to deal 90%+ with Earthquake in return, meaning that if no hazard damage is taken by Zekrom more often than not it will beat Groudon if it can get to +1 on the switch. This Zekrom set is a lategame sweeper first and a setup sweeper second, it only has Sub + Hone Claws to beat Ferrothorn and in reality can't run many other moves ANYWAY. Focus Blast, Hidden Power, Draco Meteor have little to no use and I would only consider Volt Switch in replacement of Sub + Hone; Draco Meteor doesn't 2HKO Groudon without investment and Sub + Hone beats Ferrothorn better than Focus Blast, so there you go.

Furai's Darkrai

outside of highly specialized niche counters like Sleep Talk, Choice Scarf Heracross and, to a lesser extent, Primeape, Darkrai must simply be played around. If the opposing team chooses to use a Choice Scarf Heracross then this can be taken advantage of by using Pokemon that cannot be revenged by it and thereby forcing them to use TWO scarfers or not deal with Darkrai properly.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Poppy's Zekrom

I feel that this is really hard to counter, and unlike most other nominations it doesn't become useless when the other team slaps on a dedicated counter. I'm not saying I don't like the other sets, but using Kyogre as the first Pokemon means Team 2 can just use something like Gastrodon and Kyogre will be deadweight because it can't do anything. Zekrom on the other hand can set up a Sub on a switch and then even something like Groudon will have to tank two LO Outrages which can do upwards to 80%.
P. Much what he said, Zekrom becomes an absolute monster with this set, as its most reliable check, Ferrothorn, can't even touch it, and Ground Arceus will have to take a LO Outrage

Furai

I, too, will vote for Poppy's Zekrom. Being faster than usual and having Life Orb over Leftovers definetly makes it a big threat due to its offensive presence. +1 Life Orb Outrage, as said, hits like a truck, and Bolt Strike is just outstanding.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
"This Palkia is a beast that can fake a Choice Scarf set" I doubt it. The eventual battle will be with the teams listed in the OP; both players know the exact teams so no trying to fake something.
I just meant in general; I know both players will know the other's team. It doesn't retract from it's effectiveness though.

Anyway, furai's Darkrai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)