Counter That Uber Pokémon! - Teambuilder [Team 1 Voting!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll vote for -Manaphy--'s Palkia . It's not easily counterable without using stuff like arceus grass / chansey / spd. dialga, all of which are usually seen on stallish teams anyway. Although it looks like zekrom will win, am not sure how effective it'll be since team 2 could just slap on a bulky arceus ground / bulldoze ferro or even a gimmick like dugtrio to give it big trouble.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Point well noted... Palkia's supreme coverage and speed may make it the better candidate as its type coverage is superb. However, Palkia can be similarly taken advantage of by things like Wobbuffet, Lugia (no thunder), Sp.Def Groudon (soft check), and as you rightly said Grass Arceus (rain), Chansey, and Dialga; if the opposing team chooses Wobbuffet that Palkia is going to die if it stays on the field to kill something unless you predict marvellously well or crit with Outrage (surf in rain 2hkos, so there's that!).

Admittedly, Zekrom is easier to fiddle around with Bulldoze Ferrothorn and Ground Arceus being massive thorns in its side but, like Chansey, Arceus Grass, and Dialga are more common staples of a team and can run standard sets. Ground Arceus is a rarity because it's weak to pretty much every special attack, Bulldoze Ferrothorn will lack Power Whip or Gyro Ball and can be taken advantage of by things like Shaymin-S in the absence of the latter, and Sub CM Kyogre in the absence of the former.

Another interesting option as a Zekrom counter is Curse Ferrothorn but I'm just going somewhat off tangent now...

man i really wanna use curse ferro

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Furai's Darkrai - Darkrai is one of those Pokemon which tbh doesnt even have any counters and every check can be bypassed with proper team support and smart play. Also the classic NP Darkrai needs some love, so yeah there goes my vote.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

So, Poppy's Zekrom is the first Pokemon on Team 1!

All I can say is: fuck. This Zekrom hits like a truck, at +1 it strips down 77.7% maximum of Wallceus's HP with Bolt Strike, just to give an example. The closest we could get to countering this beast, would be Ground Arceus:

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Judgment
- Ice Beam

EVs are optimised to outrun Zekrom and it can easily OHKO it with an un-boosted Judgment after Stealth Rock. This Ground Arceus takes 66.44% - 78.37% from a +1 Outrage, and it can Recover back the damage. Ice Beam can be used to hit Shaymin-S switchins, Rayquaza, and Salamence. Calm Mind also makes this Arceus a beast, boosting its Special Attack and Defense to high levels. once it has packed a few boosts under its belt, it can easily sweep!

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That Zekrom seems to die really easily, just saying. Anyway, just so we don't have to use an Arceus form, we can use HIPPOWDON!!

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Impish
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Roar

Yeah, you're still taking 65%ish from +1 Outrage (provided it gets to +1), but you can easily switch into Sub, and then just EQ for easy pickings. Since Zekrom is holding Life Orb, Sand + LO + Sub + (SR) = Dead Zekrom in a couple of turns, easily. Using Hippowdon means using a Sand team, I guess, but if you don't want to run Sand, you can always use Sand Force, I guess.

Yes, I wanted to nominate Hippowdon as well. Though, please remove the slashes as mentioned earlier. Anyways, my nomination:

Groudon @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Standard support Groudon loses to that Zekrom and for good reason: lack of recovery. Groudon can get worn down quite easily, which leaves it in Outrage range quite easily. This set though has recovery in RestTalk which, while rather unreliable, is a good way of dealing with it and provides recovery. It can then take on Zekrom as both moves it can select will break Zekrom's Substitute. Earthquake will also KO Zekrom after one Substitute, or after one round of Stealth Rock and Life Orb damage. I've chosen Dragon Tail in the last slot to provide a phazing move, and it works similarly to RestTalk Gyarados in OU as it provides good coverage with its powerful STAB. Roar could work here for phazing through Zekrom's Substitute, but imo it's not worth the power and being walled by any Ground immunes, as Dragon Tail always breaks Zekrom's sub so it can't Sub up on Dragon Tail.

Furai

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Okay, enough sets have been submitted!

Here are our candidates;

Again, you are allowed to vote only to one set, and may not vote for yourself.

My vote goes to shrang's Hippowdon. Hippowdon is really underrated, and I truly cannot believe I overlooked it like that. It's also really solid with Slack Off, and sandstorm will wear Zekrom extremely fast with Life Orb recoil.

I really like Furai's Groundceus. Idk what else a Hippowdon could do in Ubers besides counter Zekrom, other than die.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hippowdon

I really dislike CM Ground Arceus as there are other Arceus formes which are arguably better at acting as a CM sweeper as well as performing other auxillary functions. If I'm going to use Ground Arceus, I'm only ever going to use the SD set which can actually do a lot of damage and is immediately threatening. Not to mention that picking Arceus as a the first mon isnt really a very wise idea as it leaves us unable to patch up any weaknesses at the end.

Hippowdon

Really cool and underrated pick. And I always like to add some 'unique' touch to Pokemon teams, so Hippowdon fits in perfectly in my opinion. And in this case he adds perfect utility so... why not. And it would be nice to not use Arceus yet, he may be usefull for something else. My vote goes for him ;).

Furai

Okay then, Hippowdon is our next teammate! I like this actually, though it might require cautious play as it cannot switch into a +1 Outrage. Plus double Dragon will be extremely annoying. Therefore, I recommend Excadrill:
This nomination is for TEAM 2, just pointing that out.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Arugably the best Sand abuser in the game (Garchomp can count into here too but meh!). Providing Rapid Spin support is just a must in Ubers and it can also give us an insurance against Salamence, Dialga, and Zekrom by revenge killing them. Rayquaza remains an annoyance but whatever. Why Jolly? Because it's pretty cool to beat opposing Excadrill and smack them with Earthquake before they get to Rapid Spin stuff away. It also allows Excadrill to outspeed +2 216 Speed Groudon, Choice Scarf Shaymin-S, Mewtwo, and Darkrai, making Excadrill almost unbeatable by Choice Scarf users. Fine Adamant nature it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)