Challenge Nuzlocke Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently doing a Scramblocke of Ruby over in the Scramble Challange thread, but I was considering doing a pure Nuzlocke of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

All I'm having trouble with is figuring out how this would work. I mean, neither you nor your partner can die or you can't continue the storyline, so...
1.You are only allowed to recruit the Pokemon that wants to join you first in each dungeon. In the case of a Pokemon wanting to join you as part of the Spinda's Cafe drinking events, you can accept the first one. Same with Pokemon asking to join you via completing jobs.
2.If a recruit faints, you must release it from the team. If a character dies that cannot be taken of the team(your partner, Grovyle, etc) you must sacrifice a recruit so you still get some penalty for fainting.

I'm currently doing a Scramblocke of Ruby over in the Scramble Challange thread, but I was considering doing a pure Nuzlocke of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

All I'm having trouble with is figuring out how this would work. I mean, neither you nor your partner can die or you can't continue the storyline, so...
Maybe if you or your partner die it's a game over? Or maybe just limit it to the other pokemon in your party? It seems like you are talking about a no-death playthrough rather than Nuzlocke, how would the first encounters work?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Due to the fact that I can't get my hands on a HeartGold game anytime soon, and the DS emulators are gay and always lag, I'm probably gonna do the nuzlocke challenge on either my Sapphire or Diamond.

I'm leaning more towards Sapphire because I've never beaten that son of a bitch called Steven.

'k, guys. I got the Dubious Disc from the Galactic HQ in Veilstone, and I'm wondering if I should evolve my Porygon2, Troy, or leave it as it is. I'm wondering if insane power and better speed is worth it over better bulk at the cost of noticeably lower power. In a normal run, I wouldn't hesitate to evolve it, but in a Nuzlocke, bulk is everything, so...I'm not so sure.
Also, Arikado, do Sapphire. It's more of a challenge (In my opinion...and I'm sure most people will agree with me).

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So I turned off Sapphire, restarted my save, chose my started, then guess what.

The game acted up on me. >> Didn't even save after choosing the starter, oh well.

And it said the battery ran dry when I started it lol.

A dry run battery just means you won't be able to grow berries or do time based events. Your game should still save unless it's a fake copy.

On topic:I think I may do a Nuzlocke for my Leaf Green copy. I never really played it, so it'd be a nice fresh start.

Just checking in to say that my Platinum Nuzlocke is over. I should have the next chapter of my fanfic up later tonight or tomorrow.
Also, this is completely off-topic, but would anyone happen to know how to get around the migrate-one-round-of-Pokemon-every-24 hours rule for the Pal Park in Platinum? I'm trying to get all my best Pokemon off Emerald so I can start a new game, but I don't want to have to wait another eight hours before I can restart. Suggestions, anyone?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Just checking in to say that my Platinum Nuzlocke is over. I should have the next chapter of my fanfic up later tonight or tomorrow.
Also, this is completely off-topic, but would anyone happen to know how to get around the migrate-one-round-of-Pokemon-every-24 hours rule for the Pal Park in Platinum? I'm trying to get all my best Pokemon off Emerald so I can start a new game, but I don't want to have to wait another eight hours before I can restart. Suggestions, anyone?
The process is relatively simple. I'll try to lay out the steps for you.

1. Transfer Pokemon from your Emerald cartridge. [It seems you have already done this.]
2. Turn off the DS, remove Emerald, and put in another cartridge (Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red, or Leaf Green).
3. Turn on the DS, go to Date/Time settings and change the date to one day in the future.
4. Restart the DS and load Pokemon Platinum.
5. The game will give you this message: "You are using a different Nintendo DS, or its internal clock has been altered. If the game's time setting is changed, you will not be able to migrate Pokémon for another 24 hours. Would you like to change your game's time setting to match the Nintendo DS?" Select YES.
6. When the game reloads to the title screen, turn off the DS and replace the GBA game with your Emerald cartridge.
7. Start up your DS/Platinum and transfer Pokemon like normal.
8. Repeat as necessary.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Toxic Spikes by Inky the Tentacruel allowed me to beat Clair without any casualities!!!

Set up 2 layers of T-Spikes on Gyara. Switch to Bo Peep the Ampharos and OHKO the beast. Switch to Clair the Feraligatr as she switches in Dragonair #1. OHKO that with Ice Fang. She sends out Dragonair #2 and I repeat the above. As she sends out Kingdra, I send in Inky and heal him while she Hyper Beams for minimal damage.

I then use a combination of Poison Jab and Toxic Spikes poisoning to wear her down until I gain victory!!

Now, its time to go to Victory road!!

The process is relatively simple. I'll try to lay out the steps for you.

1. Transfer Pokemon from your Emerald cartridge. [It seems you have already done this.]
2. Turn off the DS, remove Emerald, and put in another cartridge (Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red, or Leaf Green).
3. Turn on the DS, go to Date/Time settings and change the date to one day in the future.
4. Restart the DS and load Pokemon Platinum.
5. The game will give you this message: "You are using a different Nintendo DS, or its internal clock has been altered. If the game's time setting is changed, you will not be able to migrate Pokémon for another 24 hours. Would you like to change your game's time setting to match the Nintendo DS?" Select YES.
6. When the game reloads to the title screen, turn off the DS and replace the GBA game with your Emerald cartridge.
7. Start up your DS/Platinum and transfer Pokemon like normal.
8. Repeat as necessary.

If you have any other questions, just ask.
Yeah, I found out how to do it shortly after I posted, but thanks anyway.

Got a question about Bug Catching Contest in HG/SS. My Ghastly got knocked out by Scyther's Pursuit (6/6 Hypnosis failed/missed...). Is Ghastly considered "dead" in this case? - can't use items to heal and can't switch out.

If he gets KOed for any reason, yeah, he's "dead".

Also, if you didn't catch something already in the Bug Catching Contest, you can't catch anything in that section :/

Well that sucks for me then. Thanks for the reply.

For future reference though, I'm wondering how the catching would work - am I only allow to capture the first encounter, or capture however many as I only get my final catch?

You are only allowed to capture the first encounter in each route. If it runs or if you accidentally kill it, well, that's a nuzlocke :/

Whoops meant to ask that in terms of the Bug Catching Contest.
In regards to the contest, you may only keep the first pokemon you catch the first time you enter (provided it isn't already on a species line you already have). You may enter as many times as you like after that, but you may not keep the pokemon you win at the end.

Hey I wanted some other Nuzlocker's opinions on this.

So I lost a Fearow and a Gloom (RIP Amanda and Arbor) to Chuck and major crit hax, and need replacements. Here are the options:

Grimer (Lonely)
Bellsprout (Adamant)
Machop (Gentle)
Seel (Mild)
Aipom (Quirky)
Stantler (Hasty)
Chinchou (Hardy)

Right now, I have a Quilava, Heracross, Tentacruel, and Scizor (found a Metal Coat on a Magnemite :p)

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yea, where you are in the game, I personally would go with Chinchou or Seel just because both are solid options against Clair (and Lance), Chinchou I would recommend slightly more since it gets Electric STAB letting it run bolt beam + Surf for some awesome coverage.

In the last slot, I personally would go for Aipom since NP + Baton Pass + Thunderbolt + Normal STAB served me really well in one Nuzlocke I did, since I could smash shit with +2 Thunderbolt, and then when low on health I was fast enough to Baton Pass to something else that had special attacks and then sweep. In HG, you have access to choice items as well iirc (well, maybe just specs idk) so Aipom can work pretty dam good.

Otherwise, that Bellsprout looks pretty mnice with a nice nature and having something to hit water types super effectively looks like something your team would really love to have

breh

強いだね
If anybody's looking for one of more forgiving nuzlockes to do, try out randomized Pokemon Emerald if you haven't already.

Anyway, I beat my first Nuzlocke today; no special rules were involved, just the standard stuff (1st mon of a route, faints it's dead, etc.).

+ (HM Slave)

(Long-ish text describing team members and dead members)

Father the Relaxed Tauros, Return/Strength/Rest/EQ
The name is a reference to a Russian anecdote my dad likes to tell (A boy comes to school and his teacher asks him, "Why were you absent yesterday?" The boy replies, "I was making our bull breed with our cows." The teacher questions, "Couldn't you have let your father do that?" The boy answers, "I guess he could have, but a bull is better for that purpose."). Anyway, this guy came near the end of my Nuzlocke, which can be supported by the fact that I got him in Pacifidlog Town. Basically, during the match with Tate and Liza, I was vastly unprepared. For anybody who's played RSE before, they know that Tate and Liza are little devils. That Lunatone killed at least 4 members of my team, leaving only Blastoise and Alakazam alive. At that point, I elected to train Tauros and a Vulpix (which I thought was better than a Cyndaquil because it had Will-o-wisp and Confuse Ray... In other words, more than one usable attack). Tauros panned out; it's really a fantastic ingame mon. Return just hits everything stupidly hard and EQ gives it perfect ingame coverage. It pretty much needs just those two slots; the rest is irrelevant. Lategame, he was also my mon to take Graveller Selfdestructs and was the only mon to not be crit-OHKOed by them at full health.

Kieran the Brave Typhlosion, Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Substitute/Sunny Day
So, remember that Vulpix I talked about? Yeah, that died at the merciless hands (?) of Gabby and Ty's Magneton, which crit-OHKOed the poor little guy. As a result, I was forced to take out one of the few decent mons I had remaining - Cyndaquil. At this point, I was fairly dirt poor and didn't have Fly either (a Dodrio I'd been using for that purpose was a victim of Tate and Liza), meaning I couldn't scrounge up money for Flamethrower too quickly (however, I was able to do so right before Victory Road) and was forced to run Flame Wheel / Fire Blast, which admittedly served me quite well. Its final moveset was literally a Smogon set from R/S; I had no idea what to stick on it bar FT/FB before the Elite Four (I had FT/FB/Quick Attack/Smokescreen, lol) and I opted to ask Smogon. The set was actually pretty nice; it worked well against Glacia. Also, Substitute saved me from heart attacks due to Sheer Cold Walrein, which outleveled every mon on my team, lol.

Uri the Quirky Alakazam, Psychic/Shock Wave/Calm Mind/Reflect
Alakazam was my starter and you may or may not be surprised that something so frail could live to the end of the game (and, in fact, sweep Wallace with the aid of CM!). See, although Alakazam is frail, at its final level of 52, it possesses a whopping 165 Special Attack. Confusion rips through the game at the start, Psybeam rips through the game until you get Psychic, and Psychic just rips through the game. Calm Mind is a little bonus (you don't even get it from Tate and Liza, lol) that really makes Alakazam fantastic. It never dies because it always kills everything first. The nickname is a reference to Uri Geller, a guy who claims to be able to psychokinetically bend spoons and sued Nintendo for referencing him in Kadabra/Alakazam.

Mars the Sassy Blastoise, Surf/Ice Beam/Bite/Protect
Blastoise was caught at a kind of midgame-ish point as a Wartortle; although I didn't expect much of him (Wartortle doesn't get anything for STAB bar Water Gun until Surf...), he proved incredibly useful against Norman (he has Protect). Upon getting Surf, he just became really, really good. Even with his only OK offenses, he always had fantastic bulk that was really, really useful. It was fun to use this against that bastard Kingdra that Juan has and win in the end. I felt like naming this after the god of war(tortle) because I'm lazy, but he did live up to his name.

Clubba the Timid Flygon, Dragon Claw/Fire Blast/Crunch/Fly
While looking through my box for mons that could use Fly, I happened upon Trapinch. If you look through this moveset very carefully, you'll notice a major flaw - there's no physical STAB move. While grinding up Trapinch to a reasonable level (in other words, 40 from 22...), I accidentally let it evolve and only realized my error after letting it do so. At this point, I didn't want to waste the Earthquake TM on it in the future - Tauros is a much better user of it - so I decided to just give it a special set and move on. Surprisingly, this guy was actually really useful against Phoebe - Crunch hurts the Banettes and quickly gets rid of the non-Ice Beam Dusclops.

A few obituaries

Stella the Quiet Steelix, level 31, Dig/Screech/Bind/Rock Throw
This one was a pretty solid mon. Nothing broke through its defense. And then it met a Counter from Slaking. It was OHKOed from there, unfortunately, the second mon I caught in the game.

Grim the Careful Flaafy, level 28, Thundershock/Thunder Wave/Tackle/Growl
I can't recall what this mon died to (Gabby and Ty, I think), but I do remember thinking it was a bad idea to name it after death.

Hill the Rash Altaria, level 38, Fly/Dragonbreath/Secret Power/Sing
One of the mons brutally murdered in cold blood by Tate and Liza. This was the first Pokemon I ever caught; a mon that I'd invested a great deal of effort in to since the beginning of the game, but one that ended up dying anyway. Granted, it was rather underwhelming throughout the game - 70 base offenses are never good and Swablu goes with Peck for too much time. Nonetheless, it was sad to see it die. The name is some King of the Hill reference I can't recall.

Ya Sure the Brave Blaziken, level 41, Blaze Kick/Strength/Double Kick/Bulk Up
The second of the mons brutally murdered by Tate and Liza, this one held a lot of promise. I got it as a Blaziken in the tall grass of 119, where it instantly stood out as a good mon. I added it to my team and wasn't disappointed in its performance. Its Attack was quite high and always rivaled Alakazam's Special Attack. It's a shame that it wasn't able to go on to the end of the game. The nickname is a reference to this comic.

Duuuuude the Rash Dodrio, level 43, Fly/Steel Wing/Tri Attack/Rage
The third of the mons that Tate and Liza erased from existence, it was quite strong. Just as Tauros would do well later on with Return, Tri Attack was a fantastic attack. Unforunately, it was not fantastic enough (or, for that matter, Steel Wing) to do well against Tate and Liza. I caught it as a Doduo (Dudo-o), which was the (again) lazy justification for its name.

Andy the Bashful Anorith, level 13, Scratch/Harden/Cut/Rock Smash
Although this guy's death at the hands of Tate and Liza was not so unsettling, his absence was irritating, to say the least. Anorith was a pretty good HM slave.

Pixel the Adamant Vulpix, level 36, Fire Blast/Will-o-wisp/Confuse Ray/Ember
This little one was one of my failed attempts to revive a team that then had only two members. As I was going to get the Fire Stone, I decided to fight Gabby and Ty. Clearly, this was a very bad idea - they had already killed another mon - and they ended up doing so again with the same mon. Gabby and Ty (along with Tate and Liza) are mass murderers and should be treated as such.

I've played enough pokemon, so now I wanna do a nuzlocke challenge. I want to keep a record of it, but I don't know were to keep it. Can anyone help me?

I've played enough pokemon, so now I wanna do a nuzlocke challenge. I want to keep a record of it, but I don't know were to keep it. Can anyone help me?
What do you mean, keep a record? There's a lot of people who post fan runs of the Nuzlocke website here. Other people draw comics and post them online after completion on a lot of different websites.

I'm gonna do a Soul Silver Nuzlocke, wondering which starter i'll choose. I'm thinking about Cyndaquil because it's fast and powerful, but Chikorita is more defensive, which may come in handy during a Nuzlocke. I won't choose Totodile, because I already chose him before.

It's my first Nuzlocke, so it will take a while to get used to it. Especially releasing the fainted pokemon.

EDIT:
So I chose Vulcan, the Cyndaquil. My team at the moment:

Vulcan the Serious Cyndaquil
Lvl 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)