Challenge The Gauntlet Challenge

Zipo, your character is depressed easily. As such, 3rd pokemon that you catch is placed on a "Nuzlocke Timer." This means that Faint = Death!!

Alright, I beat Falkner and am ready for my first update! Here goes! First, the main challenge can be found here:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4331131&postcount=55

Now onto the update!

So even before I begin I have a decision to make that will profoundly impact the next of my game. I'm not allowed to use any Pokemon that share the same weakness as the starter I chose, not for combat anyway. And I'm not allowed to chose Totodile who only have 2 easily avoided weaknesses either, noooo. I have to chose between Chikorita and Cyndaquil. It doesn't really take me long to decide though, as even though a lot of Pokemon are weak to Rock, Water and Ground, a lot more Pokemon are weaker to the 5 types Chikorita is weak to. So my choice made, I start the game.

I get my Cyndaquil, naming it Limit due to the effect it has on my game, pick up an egg and encounter a thief named Silver, but honestly, it's all pretty boring when you've done it several times before. More interesting is how one of my other challenges is making me think very carefully about my choices in the game. That challenge is the one that limits me to catching (not even using but catching!) only one Pokemon of each primary type, with Normal/flying types count as being a primary flying type as well as a primary normal type. This means I can catch a maximum of 16 Pokemon in the entire game to serve all my purposes, meaning I have to select which Pokemon I catch very, very carefully. Thankfully my earlier choice to use Cyndaquil narrows down some of these choices significantly, by virtue of making a whole slew of them completely unusable for battling.

So once I get my first Pokeballs, I keep them firmly tucked away in my bag until I get to Route 31, where I make my second decision on who to use on my team; a Bellsprout I name Bel to be my only Grass type. The reasoning for this is simple; it's the best grass type I have available that isn't weak to Rock... or at least the best one I can obtain before I get to Kanto, and seeing as my access to electric types is going to be limited due to them being weak to ground, I figured it would be a good investment.

The next Pokemon I chose was for... different reasons. I chose a Zubat from Dark Cave, which I can't actually use due to its weakness to rock. Because there are NO poison types that are usable with Cyndaquil, my choice only comes down to HMs. Most HMs are easily taken care of, but one is not... HM02 Fly. All the fly users in generation IV except for Mew are part flying type, and because of that almost all of them are weak to rock. Indeed only one Pokemon in Generation IV that can learn Fly that is not weak to either Water or Rock is Skarmory, who I can't get until right before the 8th gym badge, which is a little long to go without using Fly. However, I can always use a Pokemon that I can't battle with to be my fly slave, but then I lose access to that primary type since I can only have 1 of each primary type. Since Poison has absolutely no Pokemon that I can use anyway, I won't be wasting anything using Zubat as fly slave, and so that's why I got one. It'll be sleeping my my PC for a while though.

Oh I also named it "Howwwwwww?" because, how on EARTH does a tiny friggin' zubat carry a human being of any size?

ANYWAY! I make it to Violet city and venture around, finding nothing of interest really. No, what I'm interested in lies on Route 32: N
My third choice for a Pokemon to add to my team, Cleopatra the Mareep. I've always liked the Mareep line, and they make a very nice and very versatile in-game Pokemon, something I'll need with the limited number of Pokemon I'm allowed to use.

So after I finish collecting the nearby Pokemon I can use, I set up to take on Falkner by taking down all the trainers in the Bellsprout Tower, raising my Pokemon up to level 12 and 13 before I set out to the gym.

I have to make another choice here, since in order to evolve my Pokemon I need to solo gyms or my rival with them, and I only get so many opportunities to do so. I decide to solo it with Cleopatra for the easy solo, since I know I can use Limit to beat Bugsy later, while Bel isn't likely to succeed in such a solo at all. I don't expect much of a challenge

But...! Ah who am I kidding, Cleopatra totally obliterates Falkner and his trainers. It was no contest at all. So, that means Cleopatra can evolve at level 30 I suppose!

So, my Pokemon:

Limit the lv 13 Cyndaquil

Moveset:
-Ember
-Smokescreen
-Leer
-Quick Attack

Bel the lv 12 Bellsprout

Moveset:
-Vine Whip
-Growth
-Wrap

Cleopatra the lv 14 Mareep

Moveset:
-Thundershock
-Tackle
-Growl
-Thunder Wave

Howwwwww? the lv 2 Zubat

OH SHIT I SCREWED UP! Somehow I managed to forget that Mareep is weak to ground. Yeah don't ask me how that happened. False start #1...

I hate to disappoint you Jimera0, but Cleopatra and Limit share a weakness to Ground, and you used Cleo in battle, meaning you violated one of the challenges. Aside from that, nice update!

Way to set an example, Jimera0. I say release that Mareep.
Anyway, here's my first (albeit very short) update to my White Gauntlet. I'll be keeping a log of all my updates in the main post which is in my signature.

Looking over my challenges, I realize that I have a huge restriction on healing items, both in and out of battle. I decide to go with Snivy as my starter, since I've had enough experience with Tepig and Oshawott, and Leech Seed/Mega Drain could be helpful early game (ish). Since my first challenge is to solo Chili with my Snivy, i'll be skipping over catching something in the early routes and focus soley on my starter. Considering the fact that he's a smug Snivy (and he'll eventually be a Serperior with a superiority complex) I decided to name him Narcissism.

CURRENT TEAM:

Narcissism (Snivy) - Level 5
-Tackle
-Leer

^^ Yeah Jimera0, how could you miss that already?????? I demand you do a redo!!!
Oh god how COULD I miss it. It's so bleepin obvious too.

Too many goddamn interacting restrictions to keep track of XD I think I will redo seeing as I went and beat a whole flippin gym with her. Oh well, it's not that big a deal lol.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Update #1

Original Post w/ Challenges

So after some deliberation over which types I should pick for my duo-type run, I eventually decided on Water and Flying. I was tempted with Dark, Bug and Fighting but eventually dismissed them.

-I picked Oshawott as my starter and nicknamed him Otto. He has a relaxed nature, which isn't the best but it will have to do.
-I pretty much only used him because if I was only using water and flying types, it meant I had to solo the first gym with him, as I have no access to anybody else of those types.
-I beat N easily in Accumula town.
-After training up to level 15 I decide to test my luck in the gym. I beat the gym trainers easily, bringing me up to level 16.
-After taking down Cilan's Lillipup with little trouble, he sends in Pansage.
-I manage to get his Pansage down to very low health, but unfortunately his vine whips are too strong and I lose.
-I decide to do some more training in route 2 before going back to the gym again. I get to level 17 where Otto evolves into Dewott. Renewed with confidence I go back to the gym, where Lillipup is OHKO'd and Pansage is not difficult to take down in 4 moves (taking into account Cilan's potion)
-ThePhalanx's challenge means I have to teach Work Up to one of my pokemon. Unfortunately, Otto cannot learn it, so I teach it to a Patrat caught on route 1. To keep in spirit of the challenge though, I will teach work up to the first pokemon that will be on my team that can learn it anyway.
-Naix's challenge means I must deposit Dewott until I beat Lenora. As I have no Water or Flying type pokemon, I will use Pansear until I can get another pokemon of those types, which shouldn't be long as Woobat and Pidove come pretty soon.

So I have beaten the first Gym Leader! Which means, I get another challenge.
It would be nice if most of my challenges from now on are one time challenges, that are to be completed by the time I get my next challenge. Please check my original post to make sure your challenges don't clash with them.

EDIT: Challenge for Ziposaki
Ziposaki, your character is obsessed with equality. Therefore for every gym leader you face, each of their pokemon must be KOed by a different pokemon each time. Also, because you want everyone to gain a bit of exp. points, you must be on set mode for all gym battles.

Accepted, everyone. But Corkscrew, I'm gonna say that's two challenges. Can you pick one or the other or just give me a new challenge? If you want to keep it, I'd say get rid of the latter. Using set mode so everyone gets a little EXP? That makes absolutely no sense.

Oh yeah, guys, the personality trait doesn't have to be connected with the challenge. Really, they shouldn't. You can tell me you want my character to be obsessed with "designer" pokeballs and then make me beat Brock with Pikachu. I don't care; it's probably more helpful. All of these connected challenges are kinda messing me up personality-wise, she seems kinda freakish right now. Some normal traits would be cool. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

So, I got bored and depressed of my Emerald Nuzlocke, and seeing this thread I decided to try a Gauntlet Run. But I have this issue with doing something that is too easy. So instead of just doing a Gauntlet, I am doing a Gaumble-Locke. A combination of Nuzlocke, Scramble, and Gauntlet. To top it off, I am not even going to pick my game cartridge, the first person to post gets to pick from any of the following: Red, Yellow, Gold, Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Diamond, Platinum, Heart Gold, Black. That's right, I am giving complete control of how this game will go down to the people giving the challenge. Also, I dont want this to just be extreme, I want it to be historic. When I make an update I actually want readers to think: "Wow, I feel bad for that sucker." So without further ado, here are the rules to my challenge.

Details:
Catridge: Platinum (As courtesy of Naix)
How Far I will go in the game: Through the Post Game, defeating all Legendaries along the way
Battle Style: Set
Difficulty: So EXTREME it could be HISTORIC
Trading Capability: All games except first and second generation have trading capabilities
GameShark/Action Replay Capabilities: None
Sramble Challenges: In all Pokemon games with 8 gyms I shall get 12 Pokemon, 3 before the 2nd gym, 3 before the 4th, and so on (In games with 16 gyms I get 18 Pokemon, the amount between gyms remains the same)
Nuzlocke Challenge: I will catch the first Scramble Pokemon I see and when it faints it is considered dead.
Gauntlet Challenges: Cannot restrict what Pokemon I can have (as this is a scramble), but can restrict how they are used.
Number of Gauntlets: I will take 6 to start, and I will take 2 more after every Gym Battle

Ziposaki said:
Oh, you're asking for it DEMo. Let's see what my mind can cook up...

Hmm, take a Combee, the first Combee you see. Honor system, here. Name it whatever you want, because I'm just that nice. Or lazy. Either or. Anyways, this Combee's level needs to be proportionate to whatever gym you need to face. 5 times that. So before you face the 6th gym, Combee should be at least level 30. Also, beat at least half of the legendaries with it. Have fun! Hope you get a girl!
naix said:
DEMo_Gorgon47, take Tamer the Budew. Budew has one goal in life: to catch the legendary Pokemon of Sinnoh. However, Tamer's not quite confident in its abilities, so it decides to practice by catching every Pokemon on your team. Once your entire team is caught, Tamer has the confidence to catch the legendary Pokemon and can evolve to Roselia. After evolving, Tamer gets a bit cocky, and decides to solo (and catch) Giratina and Azelf without any items. Once (If) it succeeds in this, it may evolve to Roserade. Once you get to the Pokemon League, Tamer finds out that Cynthia, Champion of the Pokemon League of Sinnoh, owns a Garchomp, which is known for being a pseudo-legendary. Thus, Tamer's final mission is to solo Cynthia's Garchomp without the use of status moves or items.
Good luck!
Pippy said:
@DEMo Gorgon47

Well, since I'm getting a Bidoof for my Scramble, I thought Id let you share in my joy with one that makes mine look like a sweet little angel. Take Fury the Bidoof. This Bidoof is an unusual case, as it has an uncontrollable anger at the one thing that can hit it SE: fighting types. It HATES fighters with a white hot passion. As such, it must solo every fighting type you meet. Ever. Also, you may not evolve until you solo Mayleen, which will make Fury feel better about himself and makes his rage subside a tiny bit. Now, this rage also causes a few other problems. First, he may never forget a move until he evolves, as before he fights Mayleen, his rage is so powerful he can't even think about new moves. He must also lead with Growl every time he enters battle, to show his foes how angry he is. Finally, he may never switch, as he must personally ensure that his foes are destroyed.*

If that's not hard enough, I can always make it harder. :)
You'll
Hwang said:
-Mothra can use the following moves: Bug Bite, Tackle, Hidden Power, Gust, Poison Powder, Confusion, Psybeam, Silver Wind, Air Slash, Giga Impact, Protect, Roost. I just realized that this REALLY interferes with your Gauntlet. Tackle, Poison Powder, Roost, and Protect would be your only usable moves! So just ignore this part (Unless you really want this challange to be extremely hard).
-Mothra’s total BP (add up all of its moves BPs, Giga Impact only counts as 75 BP) cannot exceed 250.
-Mothra sacrificed herself to save other guardian monsters, so if you want to, you can trade Mothra’s life in for 1 revive token. Mothra is considered dead and you can use the revive token to save another member of your team that has died. To prevent saving Mothra as only a death-fodder type thing: Mothra must be alive, Mothra must be in its last stage (Mothim), and the Pokemon you choose to save can only be a max of 5 levels above Mothra.
-Mothra must attempt to solo Godzilla (Cynthia’s Garchomp).
-Mothra is thought of as a guardian of the world, and Cyrus is trying to destroy the world. So, Mothra must attempt to defeat at least 2 of Cyrus’ Pokemon every time you battle him.
-Have fun!
Shiny said:
DEMO_Gorgon, take Wasser the Finneon/Lumineon. She may never use any attacking move greater then 50 base power because she doesn't want to accidentally kill anyone. However, she doesn't want to be left behind either, so she must be the highest level of your challanges. Finally, have her solo Flint with no items, because Flint is a dick.

Have fun.
Arcticblast said:
DEMo, I'm not sure if I can give you a Scramblemon and a gauntlet, but if you want it...

Take Rebel the male Geodude. Rebel is... well, a rebel. He completely ignores three Gauntlet challenges. However, he is also cautious up to his last breath - he cannot battle any Pokemon that can learn a Grass- or Water-type attack move. If he gets under 1/3 health (do some math), he must switch out. Sadly, he can't live forever - he knows this. He plans to go out with a BANG - and his opportunity comes after you earn your 6th badge. Team Galactic's destruction of Lake Valor is a terrible deed, and to teach them that what they did was wrong, he must blow them up. He must use Selfdestruct or Explosion against one of the Trainers in Lake Valor (preferably Saturn).

tl;dr:
- Ignores three Gauntlets!
- Cannot battle any Pokemon that can learn a Grass- or Water-type attacking move
- Must switch out when below 1/3 health
- If still alive at this point, must blow the fuck up against one of the Galactics in Lake Valor - disregards any and all Gauntlets affecting moves

Have fun!
DEMo_Gorgon47, you can only use moves that are "not very effective" against gym leaders. I hope you can use this in all gyms, but if you can only use it in one gym, I would say the 8th gym. You wanted a historically hard Gaumble-Locke, well you got it!
DEMo, here's one. If you obtain a pokemon on an even-numbered route, you may not use it in battle. It can still be used for the purpose of HM slavery, but may not battle. Considering that this has Nuzlocke rules, this should be pretty interesting.
@DEMo Gorgon47:

I think I was a little too merciful with my Scramblemon, so here's a ridiculous challenge for you: the Nurse Joys in Sinnoh aren't the most... reliable, so every time you use a Pokemon Center, one of your Pokemon (of your choice) dies.

Have fun! And GL, you're going to need it...
DEMo, here's one.

All pokemon after leveling up must use their upper-left-hand move for 5 consecutive times against a trainer before using any other moves.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Accepted, everyone. But Corkscrew, I'm gonna say that's two challenges. Can you pick one or the other or just give me a new challenge? If you want to keep it, I'd say get rid of the latter. Using set mode so everyone gets a little EXP? That makes absolutely no sense.
Well since you have to KO the gym leaders pokemon with a different pokemon each time, you would obviously have to switch. I just said set mode because it would make the challenge a little bit harder. I wouldn't regard them as separate challenges but whatever. You don't have to play in set mode if you don't want to.

DEMo_Gorgon, for your Platinum Gauntlet, your Pokemon may not use moves that have more than 60 Base Power, multi-hit moves, or variable BP moves. This includes STAB, ability, and type match-ups.

Also, @anyone, I need 2 challenges to continue my Blue Gauntlet. Rules and already-accepted challenges are in the second link in my sig.

Update #3! I decided to edit this post so as to not clutter up the thread too much with repeated posts. If you want to see my second update, link in my signature.

Anyway, I grinded Snivy for a little bit, then took on Chili. Grinding is hard with no ethers (you don't get them at this stage in the game), but thanks to the massive PP that Tackle has I managed to save enough PP for the gym leader. Snivy smashed Chili's Lillipup and Pansear (Thanks to a crit Tackle and Chili's insistence on Working Up repeatedly, I managed to take NO damage from that Pansear, which originally scared me a little). So I can finally say:
ThePhalanx, you must solo the first gym leader using your starter.
CHALLENGE COMPLETE!

But now, guys, since I beat the gym leader I NEED NEW CHALLENGES. I agreed to take on a new challenge every gym leader, and I can't continue without at least one new challenge (hopefully more than one, so I don't have to keep asking). They can be one time challenges or full game challenges, whatever you guys can come up with :]

CURRENT TEAM:

Narcissism (Snivy) - Level 15
-Tackle
-Leer
-Vine Whip
-Growth

Chimpaqu (Panpour) - Level 11
-Scratch
-Leer
-Lick
-Water Gun

Rowan

The professor?
EDIT: is that better?

@Naix. You must solo Misty's gym with a pokemon that doesn't have a type advantage to water.

EDIT: Thank you, sorry for taking so long to reply; I had to do a bunch of things first. Challenge accepted.

@DEMo:

Take F(orget) the Rules the Starly. This Starly is allowed to ignore 2 people's gauntlets.

There is some bad news, of course. This Starly cannot evolve unless it is at least 15 levels above its normal evolutionary level. It also must be at least 7 levels below your strongest pokemon.

have fun and I had better not see you overleveling your mons just to level the guy up >_>

DEMo_Gorgon47, you can only use moves that are "not very effective" against gym leaders. I hope you can use this in all gyms, but if you can only use it in one gym, I would say the 8th gym. You wanted a historically hard Gaumble-Locke, well you got it!

The Phalanx, you are challenged to beat Lenora without using a fighting type or any fighting type moves. If you fail 3 times to do this, you may never use a fighting type move for the rest of the game.

Good luck!

Rowan

The professor?
So I have beaten the first Gym Leader! Which means, I get another challenge.
It would be nice if most of my challenges from now on are one time challenges, that are to be completed by the time I get my next challenge. Please check my original post to make sure your challenges don't clash with them.
I dunno if people missed this or what, but I was planning on continuing further this evening. And I can't unless I get my post-Cilan challenge. So I guess this is a bump?

@KS: Is that really the best you can do? Come on, make it evil and sadistic. Once you beef it up I'll accept it.

Two Gauntlet Challenges and the game cartridge are selected for my sadistic and historic Gaumble-Locke. 6 more Gauntlet slots left. I still need 12 Pokemon with sadistic challenges attached to them.

@Corkscrew: You cannot use Healing Items to defeat Lenora. Good Luck =D

Rowan

The professor?
DEMo, Challenge accepted.

Okay DEMo, as you want historically hard challenges, here's a gauntlet.

No Medicinal Items. None at all. No Status Healers, No HP recovery items, No Revives, No PP restorers.

DEMo_Gorgon47, out of curiosity, are you going to be doing my challenge for every gym leader or just the 8th gym? I know I gave you the option for either or, but I am assuming you're using it for all 8 gym leaders.

The Phalanx, you are challenged to beat Lenora without using a fighting type or any fighting type moves. If you fail 3 times to do this, you may never use a fighting type move for the rest of the game.
Well, the thing is I already have this challenge:

ThePhalanx, you may not use Fighting-types or Psychic-types in battle.
So your challenge is kind of redundant. Although the "never using a fighting type move for the rest of the game" could be a challenge itself. What do you think?

EDIT: Corkscrew, here's a challenge for when you defeat Lenora:
Your Pokémon cannot use STAB moves against Burgh. So no spamming Wing Attack with Pidove/Tranquill or Woobat/Swoobat.

Oh, you're asking for it DEMo. Let's see what my mind can cook up...

Hmm, take a Combee, the first Combee you see. Honor system, here. Name it whatever you want, because I'm just that nice. Or lazy. Either or. Anyways, this Combee's level needs to be proportionate to whatever gym you need to face. 5 times that. So before you face the 6th gym, Combee should be at least level 30. Also, beat at least half of the legendaries with it. Have fun! Hope you get a girl!

Also, I need a lot more challenges. Remember, the trait doesn't have to (SHOULDN'T) be related to the challenge. Also, vague traits are good. And normal traits. I don't want a freak character, here.

WHOOPS how did I miss that Phalanx? I swear I read your challenges. For some reason the first one didn't really register for some reason XD.

Ok, a new one then. You are challenged to never use the same attack twice in a row. In effect, your entire team is always under the effects of torment.

Also posting to say I've added a bit of pre-game discussion to my gauntlet Challenge's main page, discussing exactly how the restrictions you gave me limit my choices of Pokemon. It's quite a wall of text but some of you might find it an interesting study of how challenges interact with each other :P

EDIT: Btw I've added a link to my SS gauntlet in my sig

Rowan

The professor?
EDIT: Corkscrew, here's a challenge for when you defeat Lenora:
Your Pokémon cannot use STAB moves against Burgh. So no spamming Wing Attack with Pidove/Tranquill or Woobat/Swoobat.
That sounds pretty cool. And means I don't have to wait to continue on, so thank you! I'll edit it in.

EDIT: I have also added a link to my main challenge post in my sig.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)