Counter This Pokemon [ginganinja vs TEMP V1]

Temp V1

Movin' at the speed of life and I can't slow down
Well I think Scizor is definitely making the team haha

It seems that they're pretty even, so is there another way to decide which set is going to be used? Just so that we can move on to team 2's final member.

Well I think Scizor is definitely making the team haha

It seems that they're pretty even, so is there another way to decide which set is going to be used? Just so that we can move on to team 2's final member.
Nixhex has the ability to break a tie. This vote has been going on for a while and with 12-12-1-1 it seems like we should be ready to post a new Pokémon once Nixhex draws it up

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Indeed. Casting my vote for Temp V1's Scizor.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Technician
Adamant, 252 ATK, 248 HP, 8 SPE
Bullet Punch
U-Turn
Superpower
Pursuit

We are getting closer and closer and I'm looking forward to seeing the end result of our project! We are now nominating teammate 6 for Team 2. After this, we are back to picking the last member of Team ginganinja. Post one set including the Pokemon's name, item, sprite, ability, nature, EVs, and moves and an explanation of why it will be a good teammate for Team 2. No slashes on the move, please. Have at it!

For the last pokemon, I choose Espeon.

Espeon@Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EV's: 252 HP/244 Speed/12 Def
Nature: Timid
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Psyshock
-Baton Pass

After reviewing Team 2 and looking at their weaknesses, I noticed 3 of their 5 pokemon are double weak to one type. Therefore, I think setting up Dual Screens would be an amazing benefit to this team. The EV Spread is set up so that it still out speeds Terrakion and has a little more bulk. Psyshock is used as it's STAB move and to hit Terrakion harder if Team 1 chooses T-tar or Hippowdon for sandstorm support. I'm running Baton Pass over an HP because Espeon doesn't want to get Pursuit trapped. Also, because of Magic Bounce, setting of SR and Meloetta and Thunder-T using Thunder(bolt) will be a somewhat risky play.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Meloetta and Thunder-T using Thunder(bolt) will be a somewhat risky play.
Sorry, what? Magic Bounce does not bounce back status induced by damaging moves, like Scald, Relic Song, or Thunderbolt...

Conkeldurr - Leftovers
Guts - Brave
0 Spe
252 Atk 252 HP 4 SpD
Bulk Up
Mach Punch
Drain Punch
Payback

This team needs more Fighting-types. Boosted Thundurus-T and Meloetta can take out Conkeldurr in one hit, but they lose to Payback on the switch-in and don't appreciate Mach Punches. Metagross, Kyurem, and Terrakion will always lose to Conkeldurr.
252 Atk Conkeldurr (+Atk) Payback vs 0 HP/4 Def Thundurus-T: 56.52-66.56%
252 +1 Atk Conkeldurr (+Atk) Payback vs 0 HP/4 Def Thundurus-T: 84.62-99.67%
252 Atk Conkeldurr (+Atk) Mach Punch vs 0 HP/4 Def Thundurus-T: 17.06% - 20.07%
252 +1 Atk Conkeldurr (+Atk) Mach Punch vs 0 HP/4 Def Thundurus-T: 25.42% - 30.1%

252 Atk Conkeldurr (+Atk) Payback vs 0 HP/0 Def Meloetta: 91.5-107.92%
252 +1 Atk Conkeldurr (+Atk) Payback vs 0 HP/0 Def Meloetta: 137.24-161.88%
252 Atk Conkeldurr (+Atk) Mach Punch vs 0 HP/0 Def Meloetta: 27.57% - 32.84%
252 +1 Atk Conkeldurr (+Atk) Mach Punch vs 0 HP/0 Def Meloetta: 41.64% - 49.27%

252 SpAtk Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs 252 HP/4 SpDef Conkeldurr: 57.25% - 67.63%
252 +2 SpAtk Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs 252 HP/4 SpDef Conkeldurr: 114.73% - 135.02%

220 SpAtk Life Orb Meloetta Psychic vs 252 HP/4 SpDef Conkeldurr: 126.81% - 149.28%

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
^There is a mistake in your calcs. Thundurus-T does 67.71 - 79.79% with Tbolt to Conk not 57-67% as you said.

ganj4lF

is a Team Rater Alumnus
Also, do note that Payback is NOT boosted on the switch, so you'll doing pathetic damage if you use it in said situation. For example, Drain Punch easily outdamages it if Thundurus-T switches in, dealing 31.77 - 37.45% (opposed to Payback's 28.42 - 33.44%). The same is true for Meloetta, where Drain Punch is neutral and Payback is super effective.

Conkeldurr has another, enormous issue: it basically cannot switch in. Thundurus and Meloetta just wreck him with the appropriate attack, and even if it switches into a non-STAB move (it doesn't resist anything...) it will take a whole lot of damage, and they will just switch out to a resistance (Thundurus can be used as Fighting absorber, but they could pick something else as well, like a Dragon or something). Metagross handily 2HKOs on the switch with Meteor Mash and Earthquake with no need of Rocks onto the field most of the times. Kyurem's Ice Beam is a 2HKO while Mach Punch deals 49% max. Terrakion is the probably safest thing to switch into, and you're still looking to a 70+% damage from Close Combat. I just don't see why we should pick him, as he cannot switch into anything, has poor damage output while unboosted, and they already very good switch-ins into Thundurus and Meloetta, and can potentially pick another one.

Still thinking on my own suggestion, will come up with something shortly.

Aargh! So hard to choose.

In the end it boiled down ti 2 choices for me. Tyranitar or Volcarona.

T-Tar because we had a LOT of mons that would benefit from the passive damage it brings while being immune to it themselves. Also the variety of sets he could run would allow you to tailor it to the task at hand while not being too outlandish.
But with the heavy fighting weakenss as well as the Bullet Punch weakness I decided against it and went with the Firebug.

Volcarona

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 204 Def / 252 HP / 52 Spd
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Roost/Hurricane

The slash for Hurricane depends on whether you want Volc to be more offensive and work in Rain or whether you want to play it safe. STAB Bug Buzz still hurts like a mofo and after a Quiver Dance it outruns all of Team 1 bar Meloetta-P.
It also resists Metagross' priority and has a chance to burn on contact and with the EV's suggested it is very bulky, especially if running Roost and after a QD or 2.

The other mons on team 1 are great at taking care of Volcarona's checks and counters allowing it to come in, dance and proceed to clean house.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, time for some extreme sweeping to round this off:

Salamence @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
Jolly nature, 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Dragon Dance / Outrage / Earthquake / Roost

Here's where it gets fun. Salamence's humongous power even without boosts means that it will always get at least one kill a match- unless Ginga's team puts in a Salamence counter next, but I'll get to that later. The awesome thing is, Thundurus and Kyurem are all OHKO'd, while Metagross, Terrakion, and Meloetta (Terrakion and Meloetta are OHKO'd with SR) is 2HKO'd. That's at +0. At +1, everything is OHKO'd by either Outrage or Earthquake with SR, and everything is outsped as well. With Roost, it keeps its longetivity, though if need be we can replace it for Fire Blast, and tweak its spread a bit. This means that with a Moxie boost, things will die quickly.

Some UNBOOSTED calcs:
252 Atk Outrage to 0/0 Meloetta: 95-113%
252 Atk Outrage to 0/4 Thundurus-T: 117-138%
252 Atk Outrage to 56/0 Kyurem: 142-167%
252 Atk EQ to 0/0 Terrakion: 98-116%
252 Atk EQ to 252/4 Metagross: 64-75%

As you can see, with SR up and at +1, Salamence OHKO's everybody with either EQ or Outrage. Heck, at +1, Outrage flat out OHKO's everyone bar Metagross, who is 2HKO'd with Rocks up. So just spam Outrage.

How Ginga's team could react:
Skarmory- weak to Rotom, and Heatran. If they do that, it'll be in our favor, not theirs.
Bronzong- same as above, Celebi can take this one on as well.
Gliscor- Celebi, Rotom, Mamoswine, and Heatran, kind of. Easy set up fodder.
Steels- Heatran, Rotom, Mamoswine, even Scizor can handle these guys. Not a problem at all.
Physically defensive pokemon- Most are easy pickings for Celebi, Rotom, and Heatran. Depending on their type, Scizor/Mamoswine can handle some as well.

Now, you may say, well, can Salamence set up?
Heck yes. Well, kind of. But yes, the answer is yes. Meloetta fails to KO with Psychic, which will allow you to get to +1 and KO back.
The general rule is, keep SR on your opponent's side, try to come in without having to take a hit, and avoid Terrakion, and Kyurem behind a Sub. Let Scizor handle those. Only confront Thundurus-T if you're at +1. That's basically it; Meloetta can be set up upon most of the time as well(barring paralysis from Thunder).

Lum Berry can be used, but you lose the ability to OHKO Thundurus-T with Outrage, and the ability to OHKO Meloetta with SR up. Still, you can still nail Kyurem, but your chances of getting that Moxie boost are lower.

ganj4lF

is a Team Rater Alumnus
Sorry, I don't want to dismiss everything, but...

@Volcarona: you really want to use it while we have no way of removing or preventing rocks to be up? They even have a Terrakion, that resists everything you can throw at him, and OHKO back. Hurricane is just terrible if they don't pick Politoed, and they won't if you use it.

@Salamence: first of all, Metagross has Clear Body and doesn't give a f*** about Intimidate. Bullet Punch handily 2HKOs after 1 round of LO recoil, rocks or whatever residual damage you may have taken. Salamence is not really happy to set up on anything else of their team (maybe Meloetta, but still Psychic deals 77% min if you predict wrong). So, basically, you cannot lock into Outrage without being 2HKO'd by Metagross, you cannot set up onto a majority of their team, you don't use a Lum Berry, so a sweep is quite unlikely, and still they can pick Choice Scarf Latios which is just awesome and happens to vaporize even +1 Salamence with Draco Meteor (ok, Heatran stops it cold, but it would be hard pressed to sponge the myriad of special attacks Team ginganinja will toss at us). Overall it doesn't seem the best idea out there.

Sorry for the criticism and for not coming up with my own suggestion yet, but I don't really like any of the pokemon proposed till now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)