The Fashion Thread

mfa is pretty cool but i feel its a bit too "classic"

i mean obcds and khakis / jeans are cool but they get kinda boring sometimes dont you think?
totally agree, and that's where you can go on superfuture and styleforum and whatnot to look for more "stylish" stuff. except it's ridiculous how many people can't even do the look-good-on-a-basic-level-with-jeans-and-button-downs because they just don't know how their shit should fit. mfa and other sites like it are the stepping stone -- don't run until you know to walk, etc.

mfa = reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice for those who don't know. contains guides on basics, fall, spring, boot guides, store guides, pretty much anything for someone starting out

i like beautiful things, whether i'm watching them, writing them, reading them, or attaching them to my body.
very cool

on an unrelated note if anyone here has any experience with uniqlo's pants selection and their fits i would be grateful if you could tell me about that

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
ugh, probably going to go scarf-crazy when i visit home for christmas, and reenter a world of cold while simultaneously leaving a desert, though it's starting to get in the 50s at night now in arizona, brrrrr

scarves are one of my absolute favorite accessories, unfortunately i have a bad habit of losing my favorite scarves all over the country, to never be reunited. tartan scarves are classic, and probably the best looking scarves available, besides long and solid-color styles/crochet scarves

I spend way too much time on mfa. the boring mfa uniform is more or less for beginners, a basic outfit that won't ever look bad. once you get the basics down, the world is your oyster as far as cool shit you want to wear as long as you understand how colors, textures, shapes, fit all work together.

i love where I live, but I hate how late in the year it stays warm. it was 83 degrees F on friday and almost 90 degrees just a few days before that. i want to wear layers and sweaters and stuff damnit!

I'm not a fan of scarfs, I don't see the point of them to be honest. I have never had a chill on my neck or face to the degree that a jacket or coat did not solve.

I know the irony here with my nickname is amazing.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
in my experience scarves are for sealing all the holes or spaces between your body and a jacket that air could still slice through! plus they bring the average coat/jacket from 10 to 11.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
yes scarves are amazing!! I'm finally somewhere cold enough where I could actually wear a scarf the whole day, I just love the look

also, I wish I were female / looked more feminine so I could wear sweater dresses because those are really HOT!!

otherwise my favorite setup is black shirt, bow tie, sweater vest, linen pants rolled up to mid shin, flip flops sometimes with a hat

im in high school so unfortunately i cant venture out into the land of drop-crotches and scarves without being labeled so i usually make do with slim (skinny) fitting colored jeans. the reason why i like colored jeans over the standard blue/black is because of the fact that i feel they show more of a personality than regular jeans. i mean honestly if you had the choice between talking to the guy with carpenter blue jeans on or the guy with green jeans, who seems like the more enjoyable guy?? dont get me wrong i dont go for the bright orange or yellow jeans, but a nice shade of dark green / maroon is usually good because they dont stand out and scream flamboyant, while still noticeable. also the fact that im brown helps because honestly how many brown people do you see with colored jeans?? most usually sport a polo and blue jeans (not that theres anything wrong with that) but that just raises my self-esteem

as for shirts i usually just rock whatever v-neck is clean for that day. im still looking for a good upper body style since up til like this mid-way last year i was pretty damn clammed up when it came to fashion. other than that i'll wear some long sleeve sweaters that are tight fitting cause that shit looks good. h&m has become my favorite store because of the fact that they have so much stylish shit its insane. honestly you can find anything at that store, i highly recommend anyone to shop there. so yeah if anyone has any suggestions for an upper body style for a 5'8 130 body id appreciate that

i guess hair also falls under the fashion category and previously i had been rocking the a kind of faux-hawk/crew cut type of hair but now i grew it out to have more fun and style it up (im half eastern-asian so i got the fun styling hair). i couldnt really find a good hair gel until i found this:

this stuff is legit. it is strong and gives your hair a layered look, which really looks nice on asian hair. to top it off it even smells like green apples! i think its highly tailored to suit asian hair so im not sure if i would use it if you have caucasian hair, but you could try i guess. if you are asian then you should definitely try it out cause its a miracle worker!

i just feel some much more confident when im dressed like this its insane. its nice to look nice!!

edit: oh yeah and this is my winter get up cause michigan is cold in the winter brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

in my experience scarves are for sealing all the holes or spaces between your body and a jacket that air could still slice through! plus they bring the average coat/jacket from 10 to 11.
What kind of cold weather experience have you been in?

I have been in -25F (-32C) degrees and I did not have any need to have a scarf. Instead I was more worried if my feet would were warm enough to survive the night.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Some jackets are made to cover the neck and can be worn without a scarf. Some aren't. I wear a scarf every day in the winter because A. I don't like jackets that also cover my neck, they're too oppressive, and B. because the right scarf is like the right tie: you may be fine without one, but DAMN does it complete the outfit.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I consider myself fashion retarded (or fashion-disabled. sorry it is not my intention to offend anyone). No seriously, i'm terrible. And its not even that i am clueless, nope, i am just lazy and comfortable. Most of my closet is filled with clothes that are baggy and or too big for me from a combination of my obese days and the time between in which i got smaller and smaller, but just never bothered to keep up. i didn't continue to buy clothes that fit better. why just the other day i was wearing my favorite coat. Now i love this thing dont get me wrong, and it is my absolute favorite, but this thing is like 4 years old and HUGE. seriously, back then it fit me just fine and looked awesome i bet, but when i wore it the other day, i could have been smuggling two small children and you couldnt tell because i would have looked the same.

alright so this morning i woke up a little earlier than planned. i couldnt go back to sleep, and with this thread having been on my mind the night before, i decided to look into my closet and try my best to put something together that screams "this guy knows what he is doing/knows good fashion", even though that is a big fat lie.

The following pictures show what i came up with. Feel free to critique my outfit for the day, and really i welcome you to because thats a good way to learn, but please keep what i said above in mind. This is not normal for me. i just usually throw on whatever, usually something big, comfy and familiar, especially now with the cold weather.

i love this tie + shirt combo and the color of the shirt. no wonder i use it so much. also those jeans are nice...right?

unnecessary model pose attempt

unnecessary model pose attempt #2

This is where i thought things went wrong. i would have loved to complete the look with a nice jacket, coat, etc, but i dont have any so i just threw on a dark hoodie. oh well, gotta do with what you have. i could have busted out the peacoat, but thats for when it gets unbearably cold i think

so yeah, the hoodie could have been replaced with something better, if i had something better. Or maybe i did but didnt realize it because my sense of fashion SUCKS.

Edit:

I have no idea what these are, but i looked at all my "black" shoes options and chose them. i dont even know half the brands i wear when it comes to everything fashion.

Agreeing with the scarf love. Scarves are warm and comfy while also being a fashion statement, and they're PERFECT for winters up in New England. They just make everything look so much more put together and thought out. I see pictures of myself before I discovered the awesomeness of scarves and wonder what I was thinking since I could have been far warmer AND far cuter at the time!

As for where I like to shop, my favorite stores ATM are JCrew, Banana Republic, H&M, and Gap. Target is also good for basic pieces like t-shirts and cardigans. I go for a classic and classy look the majority of the time-- I like the combination of cardigan/embellished shirt/black pinstripe trousers/heels or else jacket/scarf/solid shirt/skinny jeans/boots for everyday wear to places like work and school. Generally I choose pieces that, while classic, also have some sort of visual interest to them such as color, pattern, or texture, and I pair them with makeup and accessories that have a retro vibe. I adore things like lace, pearls, silk, red lipstick, and peplums! However, when going out, I turn to websites like Modcloth and Black Milk to get some really unique statement pieces that always get loads of compliments! Sometimes I'll incorporate some of my more extreme pieces into my normal wardrobe for class if I'm in a particularly trendy mood, as well. Even at my wildest, though, I still try to go for an overall polished look, since that best reflects who I am on the inside :)

nooooo, trade up for some 511s dude. seriously, cheap as fuck and they look great for a starter pair of jeans. those that you linked are so baggy, and the color is pretty bad. really don't start trading up to cardigans until you get that pants situation figured out...
Lol I have different colored ones and they are baggy on purpose, its comfortable. I forgot to link my shoes so here:
I have some tan ones too but they got dirty and I wear my black ones everyday to school. I want some Supra Skytop 2 shoes but they are expensive, pic:

EDIT: 511s are skinnys which I find feminine so that is a no.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
it's actually orange, I got it in Japan at a store a few blocks from Glen's apartment

instead of saying GAMEBOY it says LUCY CASE, it's now my most prized possession

Golly I have the same phone case DM (well mine is black and still says Nintendo game boy) and I found it in this tiny Japanese store in Melbourne

Also I must be odd but I just do not like drop crotches. I just think they look strange, maybe I just don't have the body for it, I also don't like wearing loose cotton pants espessially when the crotch is concerned.

Though I do think some people look pretty damn fine in them it's just something I would probably never touch when dressing myself generally preferring denim over anything else 90% of the time.

Also what's up with people wearing chino pants that have elastic around the ankles, maybe I don't have a fashion open mind but I just don't understand why you need to put elastic around your ankles, and again it doesn't look all that flash either.

I think because I prefer a vintage kinda look anything remotely different scares me

Edit: omg that last line shit

Edit2:

What kind of cold weather experience have you been in?

I have been in -25F (-32C) degrees and I did not have any need to have a scarf. Instead I was more worried if my feet would were warm enough to survive the night.
I just wanted to say that fashion isn't always about practicality sometimes people just wear scarves because they look good not because the cold is so unbearable they need one

Lol I have different colored ones and they are baggy on purpose, its comfortable. I forgot to link my shoes so here:
I have some tan ones too but they got dirty and I wear my black ones everyday to school. I want some Supra Skytop 2 shoes but they are expensive, pic:

EDIT: 511s are skinnys which I find feminine so that is a no.
have you tried them on? sure they are labeled "skinny" but they don't fit skinny on most people unless you have ginormous thighs or calves. if you have ginormous calves, go with 513 or 514, and if you have ginormous thighs, go with 508.

I consider myself fashion retarded (or fashion-disabled. sorry it is not my intention to offend anyone). No seriously, i'm terrible. And its not even that i am clueless, nope, i am just lazy and comfortable. Most of my closet is filled with clothes that are baggy and or too big for me from a combination of my obese days and the time between in which i got smaller and smaller, but just never bothered to keep up. i didn't continue to buy clothes that fit better. why just the other day i was wearing my favorite coat. Now i love this thing dont get me wrong, and it is my absolute favorite, but this thing is like 4 years old and HUGE. seriously, back then it fit me just fine and looked awesome i bet, but when i wore it the other day, i could have been smuggling two small children and you couldnt tell because i would have looked the same.

alright so this morning i woke up a little earlier than planned. i couldnt go back to sleep, and with this thread having been on my mind the night before, i decided to look into my closet and try my best to put something together that screams "this guy knows what he is doing/knows good fashion", even though that is a big fat lie.

The following pictures show what i came up with. Feel free to critique my outfit for the day, and really i welcome you to because thats a good way to learn, but please keep what i said above in mind. This is not normal for me. i just usually throw on whatever, usually something big, comfy and familiar, especially now with the cold weather.

i love this tie + shirt combo and the color of the shirt. no wonder i use it so much. also those jeans are nice...right?

unnecessary model pose attempt

unnecessary model pose attempt #2

This is where i thought things went wrong. i would have loved to complete the look with a nice jacket, coat, etc, but i dont have any so i just threw on a dark hoodie. oh well, gotta do with what you have. i could have busted out the peacoat, but thats for when it gets unbearably cold i think

so yeah, the hoodie could have been replaced with something better, if i had something better. Or maybe i did but didnt realize it because my sense of fashion SUCKS.

Edit:

I have no idea what these are, but i looked at all my "black" shoes options and chose them. i dont even know half the brands i wear when it comes to everything fashion.
a button down collar in a thick cloth would be more appropriate and if you really want to wear a tie, a knit tie is more casual.

on the other hand if you want dressy, dark jeans would be more appropriate than the lighter ones you got on.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
alright, thanks darkie. I will take all of that into consideration next time i decide to wear that.

also i am going shopping with Michael tonight after the gym. i see myself spending big, it should be fun. I may just go scarf crazy as well seeing as i haven't bought a single scarf yet this season.

ah, man, this should be lots of fun

Edit: Hey darkie, just incase you see this post in time, any specific recommendations? feel free to link to some things (this goes to anyone as well i suppose...)

Stratos

Banned deucer.
t-shirt, athletic shorts, asics

i wish i could dress better but i don't want to make my parents have to do twice as many loads of laundry as i have track practice every day

looking at malefashionadvice currently and they all look so stylish but i'm a dick so

i'm willing to bet that it's near impossible for pwnemon to realistically do his laundry on a constant basis, not because he can't or won't do it but because it's unreasonable for a high schooler to do laundry, both because of convention and because U.S. high schoolers have literally no time for it (especially considering he has sports practice and usually comes home late)

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Warm Weather (aka not November-February because Texas): T-Shirt, cargo shorts or athletic shorts

Cold Weather: T-Shirt, hoodie, jeans

<-lazy American high schooler

alright, thanks darkie. I will take all of that into consideration next time i decide to wear that.

also i am going shopping with Michael tonight after the gym. i see myself spending big, it should be fun. I may just go scarf crazy as well seeing as i haven't bought a single scarf yet this season.

ah, man, this should be lots of fun

Edit: Hey darkie, just incase you see this post in time, any specific recommendations? feel free to link to some things (this goes to anyone as well i suppose...)
this or this (slim) in white, blue, pink, grey. they have detailed measurements so you can measure yourself or a shirt that fits well. idk where you live, but they only have locations in NYC, one in NJ, and one in San Francisco, but Uniqlo's stuff is p good quality and cheap. i got a flannel shirt from them and it's so soft and fits so well, it's great.

this is a knit tie. i got one in navy from macy's for like 10 bucks and it's p nice.

for jeans, levi's 511, 513, or 508 is nice depending on your body type. check jcpenney.

normally i'm not really into maison martin margiela and i have a genuine distaste for h&m but holy fuck this collab is promising

that coat on the right ahhhHh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)