CAP 5 Pre-Evo - Part 5 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Okay, everyone! Part 2 is finished, so now it's time for Part 5! We've decided what kind of Pokemon we want. We've decided what powers it should have. We've decided how tough we want it to be. We've decided what it looks like. But what the heck are we going to call this snake?

In this thread we will discuss and submit potential names for our little snake. The rules for Name Submissions were formalized in this Policy Review. A formal list of rules has been enacted:

RULES:

Legal name submissions must meet the following standards
  • Names must start with a capital letter.
  • Names cannot be longer than 10 letters.
  • Names can only contain the following characters:
    • Letters A-Z
    • Numbers 1-9
    • Dash (-)
    • Apostrophe (')
    • Period (.)
    • Space
  • No more than two capital letters can be included in the name, and capital letters cannot be consecutive.
  • A maximum of two non-letters can be included in the name, and a maximum of one non-letter of each type can be included (ie. You can't have two numbers, or two apostrophes, but you could have one number and one apostrophe)

Work In Progress (WIP) Names can be posted at any time for comments from the community.

No more than three WIP Names can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread. This limit applies to ALL posts made by a single person, even if previous posts are edited or deleted. This limit is intended to curb the tendency for some submitters to spam the thread repeatedly with lists of Names. This detracts from other submissions and makes it difficult for commenters to survey the submission thread.

Do not bump your WIP names by posting them repeatedly, or making minor spelling changes of a letter or two. Bumping will result in the disqualification of all names by the offender. Editing or deleting bump posts will not prevent disqualification.

Only ONE Final Submission can be made per person and only after Final Submissions are open.

Name Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator or Leader posts in the thread that final submissions are open. Any final submission posted prior to the Moderator notification post, will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that all submitters have equal opportunity to post final submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".

Final submissions must provide one sentence (25 words maximum) explaining the etymology of the name.

Final submissions must provide a common English pronunciation. The common pronunciation can be made in whatever format you feel best conveys the pronunciation to most English speakers.

Do not post a profane name. Do not imply profanity with your name. This includes swear words, racial/ethnic/any-group-of-people slurs, and anything that doesn't belong in a game rated E for Everyone. If a six-year-old would be offended by your name, it's time to think of a different name.

Name Final Submissions must be posted exactly in the following format and in the following exact order:
  • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on its own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
  • A blank line
  • The Name submission in bold.
  • A blank line
  • A one line description of the etymology of the name or why it is appropriate for our Pokemon.
  • A blank line
  • "Pronounced: <common English pronunciation>"
Below the Final Submission you can post other comments, explanations, etc.

Example final submission:
Final Submission

Syclant

A combination of "Icicle" + "Ant".

Pronounced: "SICKLE-ant"

This name was originally submitted by Lawman on the very first CAP project. I think it's a great name, even though almost everyone mispronounces it!
Any Final Submission that does not follow the proper format will be disqualified.

-----

Commenting:

Do not just post to support a name or group of names without any reasoning. Posts such as "I like the name Miniconda" are unacceptable and can be subject to moderation. Posts such as "I like the name Miniconda because it's catchy and makes our Pokemon look cute" are perfectly fine. If you think your post is acceptable, it probably is. This rule does not exist to discourage posting, it exists to get rid of five word posts that contribute nothing to the discussion.

If you're not sure if your name/post/comments are legal, post them. The worst that will probably happen is your post being deleted. If you're still not sure, just ask. We're not trying to make this thread difficult to post in, and these rules are not intended to trick anyone.

Malaconda's Final Product post! Hisssss...

Our Pokemon So Far:

Art:

Type: Grass/Dark
Abilities: Harvest/Infiltrator
Stats:80/70/40/20/90/30

This discussion will be open for a while. Keep throwing around names and comments and we will end up with a name that shakes the very heavens!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hmm. There's Mallure (Mal + Allure/Lure) from my previous submission I could use. o3o It's a 'smaller' name for this pokemon compared to Malaconda, while still fitting. The design lacks the apple of discord (I liked the Adam's apple, especially), so there's less 'allure', though it could be foreshadowing. :) I may think of something new later, but Mallure still works currently.

Edit: Names from Malaconda's Final Submission names I like and find suitable for this pre-evolution include Maliss, Disconda, and Temptail.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
I'm thinking Anguile, from anguis (Latin for "snake") and "guile", meaning deceit or trickery. It sounds kind of cute also.

English pronunciation: ANG-guyl
IPA: æŋ'gaɪɫ

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am in full support of Maliss or Malishiss. I think working with the Mal- root is most logical. The alternatives are either to keep the -Conda root, but that doesn't feel right with this design really, or to strike out on entirely new territory. Personally, I pick option 1, but if option 3, Temptail is my favorite option.

I could use my entry from the Cap5 name poll for our pre-evo. What do you guys think?

Malishiss

A combination of mālum, mălum, hiss, and a corruption of delicious. All together sounds similar to Malicious.

Pronounced: mal-ISH-iss
IPA: məˈlɪʃˈɪs

mālum (apple)and mălum (misfortune) are the Latin words that carry the double meaning- the only difference is the stress on the 'a' (It is likely because of this similarity that the apple came to be associated with the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden). Hiss, because it's the sound a snake makes, and delicious refers to the Red delicious/Golden delicious apple, and also envokes the feeling that CAP5's apple tastes pretty damn good. Malicious, of course, emphasises the fact that the sanke is spiteful and maleovent.

I came up with Hiscious as a mix between His and Vicious but I don't really like it. I don't know what spelling to use, Hissious, Hiscious, Hisscious?

I really like mallure and temptail the best

Base Speed

What a load of BS!
Well, I personally thought our prevo doesn't have developed enough tail-fruits to merit resubmission of Temptail but I'd be daft to ignore the enthusiasm being shown for it here (and frankly I can't think of a better name to submit, lol). Looks like I'll be submitting it, then.

As for the other name submissions, I do think it's wise to have dug up Malaconda's runner-up names. A lot of really cool names narrowly missed out and I guess their successes in the polls have already given you a lot to gauge how well it'll do second time round. I don't think many of them (possibly with the exception of Snidewindr) really sound ill suited to our prevo. As for Hollymon (the only one so far with a totally new submission, I think), I'd go with Hissious as your spelling. Hiscious doesn't seem to rhyme properly with vicious when I pronounce it.

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Malaviper I always thought Anaconda's are at the top of the food chain, at least in the snake world. I'm pretty sure a good 2nd or 3rd is the viper, which isn't equally threatening, but threatening nonetheless.

I think I recall someone in Malaconda's name thread suggesting Rattleseed? As in, rattlesnake + apple seed. That seems like it would be a good name for a prevo to Malaconda.

I don't think we need to keep either part of Malaconda's name in the prevo's name. There are quite a few examples of two-stage lines where this doesn't happen, such as Ekans -> Arbok, Grimer -> Muk, Goldeen -> Seaking, and for some not-gen-1 examples, Gulpin -> Swalot, Yamask -> Cofagrigus and Hoothoot -> Noctowl.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I was using this name during the rest of the process and even have my stats and move pool tagged under this name. I might as well put it up because I think it's really descriptive of the mon we are making. Also marks the point where I make my first Name Sub :)

Miniconda

I think it perfectly describes what we have made and what is coming out of this process, it also goes surprisingly well with Paint's wonderful artwork. Some of the names presented are getting a little complex with their meanings and where they have come from imo... Something a little more basic is a nice change of pace.

This isn't a final, but here's mine so far.

Serpinceit (Serpentine+Pin+Deceit)

PRONOUNED: Surr-PIN-seet

Honestly, I did this because it was the first thing that came to mind. The "pin" part came to mind as I noticed the thorns on it's little body, and the Serpentine and Deceit part felt like a no-brainer to my own self.

This name is subject to change...

Anabysmal is my entry.
It's anaconda + abysmal (a word similar to mal, which is the latin[?] word for "bad")
I wanted to stick to the whole anaconda lineage thing, so this was the best I could come up with. But please don't rule me out right away, okay?
And besides, abysmal is such a cool word.

My WIP is Neoconda (Neo- meaning new and -conda being the evolution's 'root'). Neo- refers to its youthful status while -conda makes its name linear to its evolution's. As a WIP I might play with it a bit.

As of now it's WIP, but I came up with:

Slython (Sly + Python)

Sly references its cunning nature and Dark typing, and Python because it's a snake.

Hey guys, first post! Yay!
I'm thinking of some things along the lines of:
Slyper (Sly + Viper), but it sounds a little too much like Seviper for my liking.
Anicious (Anaconda + Malicious), but I think it's too similar to Malaconda.
Serpsin (Serpent + Sin), but it doesn't flow too well.

How do these sound to you guys? How could I improve upon them?

EDIT: I deleted one of the names because I went over the limit. Sorry about that.

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
How about Malatot or Maltot? It's the "mal-" prefix added to "tot", which is an infant. I was thinking "Maltyke", until I remembered "Mantyke" existed.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Just throwing around some opinions here. I'm not going to be submitting anything so there's no worries about me stealing any ideas. Also, all legal entries will be slated so don't worry about your name not being slated if I don't like it.

Miniconda is definitely my favorite name so far and the name I would have submitted if I could. It obviously sounds a lot like Malaconda but emphasizes the smaller, pre-evolution status of the Pokemon we're making. Miniconda really rolls off the tongue and has plenty of precedence. Plenty of fully-evolved Pokemon have pre-evolutions with similar names. Murkrow->Honchkrow, Misdreavus->Mismagius, Houndour->Houndoom all come to mind, and to add to the flavor two of those Pokemon are Dark-types!

I definitely prefer building off the -conda root than the mal- root, as I feel -conda adds more structure to the name and, well, just sounds better. I seem to be in the minority on this issue, but I definitely prefer a name that is very similar to Malaconda.

Another thing I would like to mention is that I've always envisioned pre-evolutions as having less "serious sounding" names than the final evolution. More complicated names such as Serpenceit and Nayghton just seem too...complicated for a smaller Pokemon that evolves into Malaconda. Although there are probably dozens of examples to contradict this, a higher evolution stage usually correlates to a more complicated name.

Other names I prefer (though not as much as Miniconda!) are:

Neoconda, For using the -conda root and being stylized much like Miniconda.

Temptail- For sounding cool, being rather simple (Tempt+Tail, not rocket science), and well...general awesomeness!

Malasp- Probably my favorite "mal-" entry so far, if only because it uses a shorter snake-like suffix than Malaconda. Pre-evolutions with smaller or equal-length names make more sense to me.

Either way, carry on with your ideas! I'll probably leave this thread open for two or three more days, so make sure to make your Final Submissions by then.

Also, nobody is discussing any names rooted in the pre-evolution's art? Hello, everyone, it's a cute little snake sticking its tongue out! This Pokemon might be even sassier than the great Sassy Mollux, and yet nobody has submitted Sassyconda, Sassnake, or something to that extent? Boo!

(Final Submissions are open as of now, as well.)

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Final Submission

Final Submission

Maltot

A combination of the "Mal-" prefix and "tot".

Pronounced: "MAL-tot"

Final Submission

Trikrait

A combination of "Trick" + "Krait". Shows that is malicious, although petty, and also a snake.

Pronounced: "TRICK-crate"

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Final Submission

Miniconda

A combination of "Mini" and "Conda". It's a small snake.

Pronounced: "Mini-Kon-Duh"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)