CAP 16 CAP 5 - Final Product

Status
Not open for further replies.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, here we are. It’s been a long journey, but once more we have completed a fully functioning Pokémon. It has been challenging, but I found this project to be a whole lot of fun, and I thoroughly appreciate all the effort everyone else has poured into CAP5.

Throughout the past 3 months, the great debates and discussions that we have had as a community have really taught me a lot, both about Pokémon and about the strength and quality of our community. Many of the great approaches brought up during concept assessment, for example, were problem solving methods I never would have thought of myself, and I think that this helped lead to a much clearer direction than we have had on some of ourother recent projects. I believe that this was ket to helping this project run smoothly at almost all stages. I don't want to take the time to do any kind of real project recap, but suffice it to say that I am vary impressed with what we as a community have been able to do this time around.

Back in my TL nomination post I said that I hoped this would be the greatest CAP project yet. Whether or not that came true is not for me to say, but my intent for this project was never really to try and be the best. Coming in, we had a brand new system of leadership, and my true goal was to really put it to the test and, if possible, set a good example for those leaders who will come after. Our system is certainly not perfect, but I would like to think that throughout this project we have demonstrated how much potential it has.

Now, for anyone wondering what happened to flavor stuff, don’t worry one bit. What we are going to be doing this time around is running the rest of the flavor stages during the playtest, and they will be added in here as they are done. This will speed things up a bit and give our less battle inclined participants something to do while the rest of us are figuring out the true capabilities of the creature we have made.

Also, speaking of flavor and playtesting, there is one last thing that needs to happen before any battles can begin: Malaconda needs a height and weight. I’ve thought on this one a bit, and in the end I decided to set it at 18 feet long and 240 lbs. I don’t have a ton of detailed reasoning on this, but, seeing as high HP stats are often tied in with larger sizes, I decided to put it at a size that was large for a real life snake, being based off its namesake the anaconda, but still within the realm of reason. For reference, this would put it as longer and heavier than other land snakes like Arbok, Seviper and Serperior, but not as large serpents like Gyarados or Milotic.

Well, anyways, that’s about it from me. I just want to say once more how grateful I am for the efforts everyone put into this project, and I especially want to thank the TLT members capefeather, Deck Knight, DetroitLolcat and Korski for the excellent work they put in. I hope that this has been as wonderful an experience for everyone else as it was for me.

And now, without further ado, here is your creation, CAP5 – Malaconda:

Name: Malaconda

Concept:
Name: Type Equalizer

Description: A pokemon whose presence in the metagame increases the usage of one or more underused types and simultaneously decreases the usage of one or more overused types.

Justification: Take a look at the OU usage statistics for January and you'll see that 9 out of the top 10 pokemon have either steel, water, dragon or fighting as one of their types, and extending it to the top 20 shows 16/20 with those types. We should also be asking ourselves why these trends exist so strongly and what can be done about them. In creating this CAP,we'd have to discuss in depth many different aspects of what makes a type and opinions can ultimately being tested in the playtest.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • Is a types usefulness relative to the metagame or is it intrinsic? (Ie. Can any type be the "best" type given the right circumstances or do type match-ups, available STAB moves etc mean some types will always be better than others?)
  • What exploitable weaknesses do "good" types in OU have? Are their currently pokemon that can exploit them and if so, how do they function differently to CAP5?
  • How (if at all) will the targeted types adapt to the situation created? Will people choose different movesets, abilities, etc or will they just use them more/less? How is this linked to the way CAP5 functions strategically?
  • What effects will the changes on certain types' presence have on the metagame?
  • Which members of the targeted types will benefit and suffer from this most and why?
  • By creating CAP5, have we learnt any new ways to counter good types or use bad types?
Typing: Dark / Grass
Abilities: Harvest / Infiltrator
Stats: 115 HP / 100 Atk / 60 Def / 40 SpA / 130 SpD / 55 Spe
Movepool:
1 - Rapid Spin
1 - Vine Whip
1 - Pursuit
1 - Wrap
6 - Pursuit
12 - Wrap
18 - Grass Knot
25 - Sucker Punch
30 - Slam
36 - Leaf Blade
42 - Crunch
48 - Wring Out
57 - Power Whip
66 – Punishment
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM22 SolarBeam
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM53 Energy Ball
TM66 Payback
TM67 Retaliate
TM68 Giga Impact
TM82 Dragon Tail
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM93 Wild Charge
TM95 Snarl
HM01 Cut
HM04 Strength
Bind
Dark Pulse
Foul Play
Giga Drain
Heal Bell
Iron Tail
Knock Off
Seed Bomb
Sleep Talk
Snore
Spite
Synthesis
Worry Seed
Egg Groups: Grass/Dragon

Aromatherapy
Beat Up
Glare
Haze
Night Slash
Poison Powder
Scary Face
Screech
Sweet Scent
Stun Spore
Height: 5.5 m / 18’ 0’’
Weight: 108.8 kg / 240 lbs
Dex Entries:
Malaconda, the Temptation Pokémon

Black: The fruit that grows from the end of its tail is the most delicious fruit in existence. It entices both people and Pokémon.
White: It brings out greed and desire in those that it meets. It delights in spreading chaos.
BW2: A forest inhabited by Malaconda is lush and full of fruit. Other Pokémon that live there are hostile and distrusting.

Qwilphish

when everything you touch turns to gold
Wow, it is hard to believe that this is already over. This was the first CAP where I participated and I am so proud of what we have ended up with. Whether or not we have created a successful CAP will be determined during the playtest, but I feel we did the best that we could have given the direction that we went with at the concept assessment stage.

Thank you to everyone at #cap for being amazing people and for the good discussion that we had throughout the process. Can't wait for the playtest to begin and for Snapple to fall the overused types of OU and to show the might of the underused types as well.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I'm really curious to see if Malaconda will fulfill or not the concept that we decided in the previous stages of this CAP. While it seems to have many elements to do its job well, the concept was so ambitious it's quite hard to judge if it has been reached or not before seeing the actual playtest results, so I'm really thrilled for the upcoming phase.

Anyway, it was really a fun experience; good job to everyone, especially to our Leaders, which did a great job in leading the project.

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
Wow, we're done! This is my second CAP that I've participated in and I'm happy with the results. Well done everyone! Now all that's left is playtests...

Base Speed

What a load of BS!
Great work everyone.

I'd like to extend particular thanks to jas and the TLT. They've done a great job of leading under a brand new model and have really shown people how it should be done.

Now all that remains to be seen is whether Malaconda will manage to fulfill its intended role or not. I sure hope it does. Bring on the playtest!

Really nice work everybody!!!
Can't wait for the next version(hopefully we can do one before X and Y release???)

I enjoyed working on this with you guys. It made the winter a little more fun. And we finished just in time for spring.

Good work everyone!

^Dex entries during playtest ;)

Probably the most fun I've had participating in a CAP. A huge thanks to jas, Korski, cape, DLC and Deck Knight, you guys did a fantastic job, and I'm lovin' this new leadership system. I'm very sceptical on whether we've actually achieved the concept (which is to increase the usage of underused types, if you've forgotten and just assumed that it's to make sun teams ok again). As with every CAP I've participated in, we've had drama and controversy along the way, but overall I feel that there was a good amount of discipline to not create another Aurumoth/Krillowatt.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looks like fun. I'm preparing for SUNSUNSUN, which isn't my forte, but looking forward to learn.

Looks like CaP finally got its sun poke that people have been asking for since, like, ever, even if it was just a byproduct of the actual concept. I really hope Malaconda fulfills the concept well enough. I also like the new topic leader team way of running things. Now it's time to get ready for the playtest.

This is the first CAP I've participated in (although in a very small way), but I am happy to see the final product; great job everybody! :D
Now I just need to improve my spriting skills so I can make some sprites for future projects!

Here's to leaving behind the stormclouds of the last playtest meta and moving to something brighter and more promising!

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
but but but

HOW CAN WE PLAYTEST WITHOUT A DREAMWORLD ABILITY???

#gluttonyCAP5

also the fact it gets no non-attacking moves via level up is very weird

good job guys, it was fun and a learning experience for me

This is the first CAP project i have been in for every step (i joined about halfway through 4 of 5th gen). I'd like to congratulate and thank the TLT for making this new project model work almost perfectly. Hopefully all the following projects will turn out just as well!

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It was a very fun ride guys and i definitely learned some things, so congrats to everyone that participated, especially the TLs and jas!

Now let's see what Malaconda can do...

Wow, Mal's come a long way. This was my first CAP and, though it might have strayed a little from how I would have liked (mainly with Wild Charge, lol), it was a fun experience. Now to go to playtesting and seeing how successful it was.
(I think this is might end up being a better high-risk high-reward mon than Aurumoth, with his 4x U-Turn weakness and being a Sun abuser, but regardless)

Great job to all!

Sad to see it end, but I'm very excited for the playtest, so it's not all bad. I can't wait to see how people will use Malaconda in battle. With this being the first CAP I've actually participated in, I'm very happy with the results. I hope CAP6 will turn out just as great, along with many CAPs to come.

wow. i can't wait to see how malaconda does in playtesting. this was my first CAP, and although i don't know enough about the standard metagame to really do much (i play ubers), it was great to see the whole process, and i learned a lot.

great job and thanks to everyone who helped!

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Man, this was a fun project, and it's sad to see it over. I hope the playtest reveals that Malaconda fulfilled its concept, as with all the work we all put into Malaconda we all deserve to succeed in both process and product. The TLT system was great from my perspective and we're all blessed to have a great TL like jas lead the way. Good luck to everyone in the playtest and...uh...the Dex Entries Poll as well! o__O

Considering some previous CAPs have had very bloated movepools, bloated stats, and abilities that were far too good/didn't fit (Magic Guard Krilowatt), I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.

Ya done good, CAP.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Congrats, Wyverii on the sprite! :)
Wow, this was the first CAP I've participated in! It's really fun! Hopefully Malaconda turns out well. Good job, everybody! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)