Offline Battle Tower teams

Well right now I'm using a team of Electivire, Feraligatr, and Tyranitar which isn't a very good idea because they are all physical attackers but I'm just using them temporarily while I finish up my special pokes.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I finally died on my streak playing Jumpman's team. I died in battle 166. It was a nice long run, and I had a lot of luck along the way. In the end I was done in by a hax move, a cheap AI move, bad luck, and a really bad matchup. Here's the warstory of the loss:

I send out Starmie.
Opponent sends out Dugtrio.

This kinda sucks. Dugtrio normally can't KO Starmie. But it has many variants that can hurt Starmie badly, and all versions are faster. Starmie always KO's with a Surf. I'll just take the hit and get Dugtrio out of the way.

Dugtrio used Fissure!
(Starmie faints)

Damn hax move! I've been pretty lucky on this run, when it comes to OHKO moves. I've only had a couple of OHKO moves connect during my entire run. Every time, I was able to recover. This sucks, but hopefully the other two can get it done. Still, a big blow to the team...

I send out Garchomp.
Garchomp uses Outrage!
(Dugtrio faints)
Opponent sends out Mamoswine!
Oh shit...
Garchomp uses Outrage!
(~65% damage to Mamoswine, ~35% left)
Mamoswine uses Ice Fang!
(97% damage to Garchomp, 11hp left)
Garchomp becomes confused due to fatigue.

Garchomp is a total stud for taking a STAB 4x SE Ice Move from a base 130 attack. I guess that's lucky on my part. But, I'm screwed with a confused Chomp, who's about to die. Jolly Tyranitar is faster than Swine, can take this Ice Fang in stride, and will KO it without much trouble.

I send out Tyranitar.
Mamoswine uses Earthquake!
(~70% damage to Tyranitar, ~30% left)

What the fuck? That seems awfully "smart" for the AI. Personally, I would have used that move, but the AI normally hits with a 4x effective move, regardless of the health of the opponent. I think I just got screwed over. That sucks bad. Oh well, one Crunch and this thing is gone. After that, I'll dent the next opponent with TTar and finish it off with one big hit from Chomp. Typical nailbiter finish...

Tyranitar uses Crunch!
(~34% damage to Mamoswine, ~1% left)
(Tyranitar faints)

What a load of shit! I don't believe how many things are going against me! Even against the defensive version of Mamoswine, a Crunch does 34% minimum. I had to hit the absolute bottom of the barrel on the damage calc to not take it out. Now, I'm in real bad shape. No matter what happens, I'll only get one hit out of my nearly-dead Chomp after Mamoswine is gone. Earthquake has the best chance of being SE against something, but Outrage has the best chance of KO'ing something neutral. Flip a coin, and...

I send out Garchomp.
Garchomp uses Outrage!
(Mamoswine faints)
Opponent sends out Torterra.
I'm doomed. gg.
Garchomp uses Outrage!
(~45% damage to Torterra, ~55% left)
Torterra uses Leaf Storm!
(Garchomp faints)

And so ends a VERY long streak. 165 wins is more than I ever expected. It was fun while it lasted. I'm surprised how good this team is, even in the face of bad breaks. Along the way, I got some very timely critical hits that saved my ass, so I guess it went both ways. I feel pretty confident that I didn't misplay that last battle. With probably 300 battles under my belt playing Jumpman's team, I know how to use this team against almost every pokemon in the Battle Tower. I've posted several messages along the way to getting this streak. For anyone interested, here's some quick links to previous posts on my successes, failures, and strategy in the Battle Tower:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=652246#post652246
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=661651#post661651
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=663047#post663047
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=663129#post663129
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=676008#post676008

This may seem odd, but I think the battles in the mid-40's are the hardest rounds in the entire tower. On that same note, all the battles from 60 onward were all about the same, some easier than others. You will face the same opponents many, many times. So get used to it. The pokemon I found troublesome were:

Granbull - Huge movepool, massive attack, lots of HP. Has SE moves against the entire team. Two Quick Claw variants, and the QC fires all the time. All-around pain in the ass. Faced it at least a dozen times. I hate that fucker.
Lickylicky - Same as Granbull, but more HP and more annoying to look at.
Yache Salamence - If your Starmie is bred well, an Ice Beam will take Mence down to a sliver of HP, even with the Yache Berry. If it Dragon Dances, you have to sacrifice TTar and take it out with Sandstream damage. Dangerous pokemon that takes a lot of strategy. If you get a Mence against this team, it will be the Yache version 90% of the time.
Exeggutor - Faced it more than Granbull. Easy to beat once you figure out all four versions. Different strategy for each. I won't cover it here, but it's rarely straightforward.
Lati@s - Not too hard to beat, since all three of my pokes have SE moves, but it seems to come out only when Garchomp is locked into EQ. Almost all versions can really hurt you on the switch. If it Dragon Dances, you're in a world of shit. Fortunately, if it DD's, it will usually DD again -- allowing you to KO. But, my heart skipped a beat the first time it DD'd on the switch.
Curselax - Always comes out when you are beat up. Very tough to take down when you are at low-health. I got the Chesto-Rest version every time.
Tangela, Venusaur, Meganium - Damn bulky grassers. The worst part about Jumpman's team is that it is a magnet for Grass types, and has no clear counter for them. Starmie's Ice Beam rarely KO's them and is almost always KO'd by them in return. Tyranitar doesn't like Grass either. Garchomp is forced to come in and Outrage twice, which always means confusion and a costly switch. My next team will be strong against grass, just because I'm so sick of facing them.
Ludicolo - I reserve a special slot in this list because of the nightmare that is Ludicolo. I hate the damn thing. Go look at the four versions, and you will see how many problems it causes this team. Every time I faced it, I shit in my pants. I put Aerial Ace on Chomp, specifically because of Double-Team Ludicolo. Think long and hard when this smiling fucker shows up, it can kill the whole team.

I'm kind of glad the streak is over now. As the streak went longer and longer, I became more and more focused on each fight, not wanting to make a critical mistake and blowing it all. I've been anxious to take what I've learned and try to craft my own team that can be effective in the tower. Jumpman's team is awesome, and I recommend it to anyone having trouble in the Tower. It also served as a great Pokemon strategy lesson. Not the same as battling real people, since you have to learn a different set of "reflexes" to maximize your chances against the AI. But, I found it fascinating nonetheless. Now, I hope I can get similar results with a team of my own creation.

Infernape @ Choice Band
Jolly - 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 6 HP
- U-Turn
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz

The party lead and the strongest sweeper on my team - at least right out the gate. Close Combat and Flare Blitz will kill whatever isn't resistant to them or doesn't have a high defense. Should there be trouble, you can either switch or U-Turn (if it's first-turn trouble) to...

Starmie @ Wise Glasses
Rash (I'm lazy) - 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Attack, 6 HP
Ability: Natural Cure
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

A common set, I'm sure. Decent defenses that can stand up to almost any non-super effective, non-running-off-120+-offensive-stat move at full HP. The Special Sweeper of the team, Starmie kills whatever Infernape leaves behind, hitting everything for at least neutral damage. If Starmie won't work as a switch for Infernape (like if I was predicting Psychic), or I just feel like it, then there's always...

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Naive (lazy once again) - 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 6 HP
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Brick Break
- Night Slash

Now I'm pretty sure everyone's seen this set at least twice before, except for the Ice Shard, which is usually Ice Punch (yes, I'm lazy; we established that). Ice Shard's purpose is to make sure I get the first hit against those pesky Quick-Attackers that like to pick Pokémon off (such as the one that killed me). Weavile should never be the first sent out. The plan is simple and self-explanatory. Swords Dance provided Sandstorm / Sand Stream isn't in effect, then do your thing. After a Swords Dance, he can pick off most Pokes. Two, and very little stands in the way. Three,...we won't discuss that.

Got to battle 60.

Opponent leads with Drifblim. Infernape uses Stone Edge. It missed. Hypnosis hits. Against my better judgement, I leave Infernape in and try for another Stone Edge. He stays asleep; Drifblim uses Dream Eater. Leaves me with almost nothing. Next turn, Infernape wakes up and knocks
Drifblim out with Stone Edge. Out comes Ludicolo. I switch to Starmie. I get hit with a critical Waterfall. A little over half left. I use Psychic, takes out almost half. Ludicolo takes me out with some Grass move - I forget which one. I send Weavile in and Swords Dance. Ludicolo's Drain Punch takes Weavile down to 1 (thank you, Focus Sash). I use Night Slash. Ludicolo's dead. Out comes Raichu. Against my better judgement, I use Night Slash instead of Ice Shard. Raichu hits with Quick Attack. Weavile's down. Infernape gets hit with the same Quick Attack. Then I step in and get the crap shocked out of me. Battle over.

Don't have a team to contribute, but I've been using Jumpman16's set and I've had decent success, I've made it up to 53 but by stupid decisions on switching and hax (come on... Metagross using a quick claw on both turns 2 & 3 in succession?!??! I can see once, but total AI Hax going on). I've also been using Life Orb over Expert Belt on Starmie for an extra oomph.

Another side note, i've used Valir's team as well and I don't know what tactical measures I'm not taking but I can not get very far with it. It looks awesome on paper, Guts, Endeavor, etc, and even the 2 exploders, but I don't know.

Lastly, I just wanted to bump this article up towards the top, its a great compilation.

Trying out an experimental team, which has got me to Battle 47 at the moment, I'll edit it in if it gets any further.

EDIT: I died Battle 103, Regice freezed me twice and killed me off with ice beam. :(

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Grass Knot
- Calm Mind
- Recover

My special sweeper, Calm Minds up and sweeps. I've added in Life Orb because I need the leftovers for my other teammates, he can recover of the damage most of the time.

Skarmory (M) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 184 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Drill Peck
- Steel Wing
- Roost

Hello SDskarm. It's my physical "wall", but mainly put on this team for it's Sturdy Ability, protecting from OHKO moves. Also has a handy Poison Immunity, taking on those Protect / Toxic / Double Team Dusclops pretty well. They can't touch him, I can SD up and hopefully get in a hit with Drill Peck. Hmmm, might try Aerial Ace.

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

I figured I had major problems with CMCresselia, from Palmer Tycoon, so I added in this guy. Is pretty bulky with the 252 HP EVs, can create 101 HP Subs, and Crunch beats up any Psychic / Ghosts type. If the Sub stays, I can beat things like Heatran, but CMLatios can take him on pretty well.

I send out Tyranitar.
(~70% damage to Tyranitar, ~30% left)

What the fuck? That seems awfully "smart" for the AI.
The AI does have some good prediction skills. In the Battle Frontier, this one time it was my Latios vs. their Starmie. Latios isn't at full health, so I switch out to Thick Fat Snorlax, and Starmie uses Psychic instead of Ice Beam - it knew who I was going to switch to and used the most powerful move it had.

This team got me to a 63 battle streak but I honestly got that far because I spammed hypnosis all the time :D

Yanmega@Wide lens
Modest 252 Speed 252 Sp.atk 6 Sp.def

Hypnosis
Substitute
Bug Buzz
Air Slash

Sleep/Sub/Kill/Repeat
If this guy fails then I use these guys

Metagross@Leftovers
Adamant 252 Atk 152 HP 104 Speed

Agility
ThunderPunch
Meteor Mash
Earthquake

And..

Salamence@Choice Specs
Timid 252 Speed 252 Sp.atk 6 HP

Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower
Hydro Pump

Salamence and metagross cover each other pretty well.I lost to a quick claw sheer cold walrien :(

Well, my team got me pretty far. around the 300-320 mark.
Still going strong, but haven't done the BT in a while because it's SO FUCKING BORING now.

Anyway...

Xaio's hax break team!

"Barbies?"

Claydol @ Leftovers
Impish, Levitate
176 Def / 80 SpDef / 252 HP

-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Explosion
-EarthQuake

My lead, which basically light screens, reflects, does what it can with earthquake, and explodes late-game.

"Yakuza Joe"

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Adamant, Guts
252 HP / 252 Atk

-Knock Off
-Reversal
-Bullet Punch
-Facade

Similar version of this in my wi-fi team. (RMT soon? NO.)

Knock off is for those who want to get cocky with quick claw. After that, whittle em' down with facade and bullet punch. When burn orb and the enemy onslaught get to you, reversal is there to lay the harshness.

"Triclops"

Magnezone@ Choice Scarf
Naive, Sturdy
28 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 228 Spe

-ThundarBolt
-Hidden Powar Grass
-Explosion
-Tri Attack

Sturdy Is my second Hax stopper, because OHKO moves suck. I've downed many an articuno with THIS bad boy.

Well there you go. :|

I've been doing a lot better lately, my last 2 BT runs have netted me a 72 win streak and a 96 win streak... I'll get to that defeat in a bit. I've been using Jumpman16's team with 2 variations, which I'll Bold.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Modest (+Sp.Atk, -Atk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed
- Surf
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Starmie OHKOs a great number of opponents. I've added Life Orb because the 10% life drain is (at least in my opinion) relatively minor. Starmie isn't the most durable pokemon and its either going to be taken down in either one or two hits regardless of that 10% or even 20%. Also, I'm not opposed to using him to KO himself if his HP get below that 10% mark because that at least 1) i'm doing a lot of damage 2) I can scout a move for free 3) I can get SandStream going. Also If I'm unsure about getting a OHKO and a possible counterattack that will take him down I'll switch to the next...

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Jolly (+Speed, -Sp.Atk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

I added Focus Sash because I got sick of getting 1HKO by all the fighting moves out there. I can even switch into something not too desirable and still at least have some confidence that I will be able to make a move most of the time. This guy is not to be underestimated though. He can plow through entire teams.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Crunch

And the closer. You all know what this guy can do.

So, here is a free lesson that I will never forget.

BATTLE 97:
-Opponent sends out Tentacruel.
-There are a few variations of TCruel in the BT, and earlier Starmie got Psychic Mirror Coated back into his face so instead of risking that (depending on the variant Tenta is a 1h or 2hKO) I switch in Garchomp.
-Opponent Tentacruel uses Poison Spikes (Irrevelant)
-Garchomp uses Earthquake, 1HKO
-Opponent sends out Starmie
-I KNOW that Chomp is faster than Starmie, and I assume that a STABbed EQ should 1HKO Star. Guess what
-Garchomp uses EQ, Starmie loses approx 90-95% of its HP
-Opponent Starmie uses Ice Beam... 1HKO
-Well DUH. Now I'm pissed and get even more overconfident... I send Starmie back out (who gets poisoned)
-Opponent Starmie uses Thunderbolt, 1HKO
-WHAT? Its faster than mine??? I'm done at this point, but stranger HAX has happened
-I send out TTar, who gets poisoned.
-Opponent Starmie uses Surf, I'm down way into the yellow
-I use Crunch, Starmie finally bites the dust
-Opponent sends out Golduck
-TTar is faster and uses Crunch, hoping for a critical, but don't get it.
-Golduck uses surf, I'm done.

There are 2 things I did wrong that the AI punished me for. First, I assumed that EQ would kill Starmie. Second, I assumed that my Starmie was faster. Both those mistakes led to my streak being broken. If I had a chance to do it again, I'd start the same but switch to TTar after Starmie came in. That would get the sand blowing and refresh Garchomp's Choice Scarf. If TTar could get a move off great, if not send Garchomp back in after TTar falls. Outrage the hell out of the star, then I have Outrage in the face of whatever was coming in next and a healthy Starmie to wrap things up if need be.

The lesson for all you aspiring Battle Towerers... DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE AI. After wiping out a number of OU teams with legendaries and sweeping Palmer's 2nd team, I get beat by a Golduck. 3 battles before 100 no less. I'm back up to 42...

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i am still not convinced that starmie does better with LO (especially with Modest) than with Expert Belt given the "10% HP drain isn't that big" and "It will be OHKOed anyway". There are a number of pokemon that it will OHKO with a 1.2× boost or less, and also a number of pokemon that it can take a hit from and survive. Pokemon like Kangaskhan and Tauros and even Dusclops are pokemon it's not OHKOing with Surf but will take at least 80% from but not 100%, meaning it will die to recoil damage the next time it attacks. And as far as the Focus Sash on Tyranitar goes, if you're tired of getting OHKOed by Fighting attacks, switch in your fast psychic attack that can take them out without having to deal with recoil damage when it attacks.

This is all my opinion of course but there is seriously not one pokemon I can think of that is OHKOed with life orb but not by Expert Belt, and if they can't be OHKOed period they are usually going to do at least 80% to Starmie which pretty much spells its doom, which isn't something you want from a poke you usually need at the end (again, Tyranitar is the most expendable)

The Focus sash was a call made by me due to the lack of "status" I've been induced with the last few attempts I've made. Its saved my butt a lot more than a Lum berry would have this last time around, but that is entirely situational.

Thanks for the constructive criticism about the LO/EB, and I have tried both. I'm just having more success right now with the LO. That may be due to the experience I've gotten in the battle tower in general, and strategy, and whatever, but I'm sticking with it for now.

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I tweaked Jumpman's team several times before I hit my long streak. IIRC, I even changed the team slightly in the middle of my run to 165 wins. The mods I tried were:

Starmie
Timid vs Modest, Expert Belt vs Life Orb
I have several well-bred Starmies from my Emerald breeding days. I started with my Timid one and gave it a Life Orb. Then switched to Modest with LO. Then settled on Modest with Expert Belt, just like Jumpman. It's a close call, but I think Modest with EB is the way to go. I do recall that Modest EB Starmie left a lot of stuff with a sliver of red after one hit. But, it seemed like Modest LO Starmie died too much and the LO recoil made a significant difference. Starmie is the oil that makes this team run well, and it's a very delicate balance, since Starmie has so many weaknesses and so many SE attacks. More than any other pokemon on the team, Starmie has to be perfectly tuned to maximum effectiveness.

Tyranitar
Lum Berry vs Leftovers vs Muscle Band
I played with a couple of items on TTar. Started with Lum and discovered that status wasn't a big deal. Tried Muscle Band, which was a waste of time. Ultimately settled on Lefties for the long run. Yes, an occasional status would really ruin a good DD setup. But I felt it was offset by the number of times TTar could get in 4-5 DDances and then mow down the entire team. The lefties would give it an extra turn or two of setup time. I can imagine several items for TTar that are effective.

Rock Slide vs Stone Edge
Easy choice for me. RS all the way. But, I did try Stone Edge for a while. It's unbelievable how much more it missed compared to RS. The AI hax seem to affect accuracy on a curve, or something like that. Although RS is only 10% more accurate than Stone Edge, in the BT it seemed more like a 30% difference.

Garchomp
Two moveslots?
EQ and Outrage are all this guy needs. The other two moveslots were almost completely unused in all my runs. I think I used Fire Fang once on a Bronzong. I switched out Crunch for Aerial Ace, just to handle that DT Ludicolo that seemed to kick my ass every time I faced it. I debated using Poison Jab for all grassers in general, but I never got around to trying it. I don't think it really matters what the other two moves are on Garchomp.

Butterfree @ Leftovers
Hasty
EVs - 252 SA / 252 Speed / 4 Defense

Sleep Powder
Substitute
Bug Buzz
Dream Eater

Very effective poke. Can easily 3-0 teams with 97.5% accurate sleep and Substitute. Bug Buzz can do decent amounts of damage and Dream Eater for Super Effective hits, or just to heal. Leftovers to make sure I don't run out of subs. 4x Grass and Fighting resistance with Ground immunity are helpful

Salamence @ Choice Specs
Timid
EVs - 252 SA / 252 Speed / 4 HP

Draco Meteor
Hydro Pump
Fire Blast
Dragon Pulse

Hits things hard and can cripple sweepers with intimidate. Works with Mawile.

Mawile @ Shuca Berry
Impish
EVs - 252 HP / 176 Defense / 80 Attack

Ice Fang
Sucker Punch
Iron Head
Swords Dance

Intimidate and steel typing makes this thing VERY bulky. Resists all of Salamence's weaknesses and vice versa.

I lost on battle 53 to a Weavile that got 5 critical hits in a row.

actual team record 79

252spd./252att/4hp
jolly weavile choice band
-ice shard <--hope it had ice punch :/
-night slash
-brick break
-aerial ace

Hit with your best shoot the first pokemon of your opponent an pray for it to die, if weavile gets killed go to gengar.

252att/252spd/4hp
adamant garchomp lefties
-swords dance
-substitute
-dragon claw
-earthquake

Sub has proven great on chomp, saved me from a lot of spore, hypnosis, stun spore, etc...
try to sub in something that doesnt do anything to you then sword dance and sweep, amazing poke.

252sp.att/252spd/4hp
timid Gengar focus sash
-thunderbolt
-shadow ball
-hypnosis
-destiny bond

Usually enter after weavile, kills the first weakened poke or the second, then tries to kill the 2nd or 3rd, and at the end destiny bond (AI its sooo stoopid sometimes) and can block OHKO moves.

I died to a Grasswhistle leafeon, i should have sub but instead i went for a sword dance, he used whistle, tail whip, sand attack and last resort for the kill...damn chomp didnt wake up for 4 turns >_>
That defeat pissed me off

Died Battle 62

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly (+Speed, -Sp.Atk)
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance
- Night Slash

The focus sash guaranteed getting off a swords dance, and running jolly allowed for weavile to be faster than just about everything that he faced without a substantial power loss because of SD.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance

Although swords dance coupled with outrage seems pointless, it saved me a few times. I decided to run yache instead of choice scarf because everything seems to carry some type of ice attack and if I'm down to just Garchomp and they have two pokes left, I don't need him dying when he shouldn't. It also allows for a more powerful outrage by allowing him to stay in on something that would otherwise kill him and getting off outrage afterwards which crushes buildings after a dance.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Sp.Atk
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Surf
- Ice Beam

CMcune is an absolute beast. If there is one poke that you can set up on, it's game over. Palmer's Cresselia and Milotic both allowed him to CM up, and I faced a stallrein that tore through my team until Cune outstalled him (<3 pressure).

I was just rolling over teams until i faced a trick room bronzong. I knew Weavile was screwed from the start so i decided to try and dent him as much as possible with a SD night slash. I switched to chomp and tried to finish him off with a fire blast that missed, and he used trick room then promptly exploded. I didn't have fire fang on chomp yet because he was just freshly bred and I slapped Blast on him right before I went into battle tower. Cune was finished off by a Machamp after TR was up, imagine that, using Champ w/ a trick room poke. Oh well, I hadn't expected to go as far as I did, I started out just for BP but decided to see how far I could go. I'll probably try again after tweaking the team some.

On a cool thing that happened in Doubles recently, Team Rocket Elite got to 414 wins. I'm not going to post anything more, I don't want to *Completely* steal his thunder.

Bumping to say (hope this isn't old) that the Lati twins apparently CAN show up in battles; the Battle Tower moveset says that they won't show up. I was in the 56th room, which was a stall room consisting of Regigigas, Cresselia, and Latias. Regigigas became the first Pokemon to barely survive a full-powered Specs Draco Meteor from a Modest Latios. I set up four Curses on Cresselia and 2KOed with Body Slam.

I was shocked to see Latias come out, but I OHKOed her with Body Slam as well. Three of the four sets listed in that guide carry Psychic, so I can't tell which one it was. I dropped Crunch for Earthquake a long time ago on Snorlax since Heracross dropped her EQ for Night Slash coverage.

By the way, I had the most amusing battle against Infernape in round 54. I hit with Draco Meteor. He hits back with Flare Blitz, doing 54% damage (and this was resisted!) and killing himself with the recoil. All I hae to say is thank god because he would have otherwise killed Heracross with FB and Snorlax with Close Combat.

DougJustDoug

Bumping to say (hope this isn't old) that the Lati twins apparently CAN show up in battles; the Battle Tower moveset says that they won't show up.
What guide are you referring to? All the "Threat Lists" I have seen have four movesets each for both Latis. I faced them both a LOT. The Battle Tower AI LOVES to send out Lati@s. I don't know where you heard different, but it's a lie.

DougJustDoug

^It's posted in the "Battle Tower Records" thread. And it's every bit as awesome as you would think, based on that incredibly high number of wins. Check it out.

I got to 104 today with Standard Bulkydos, Standard Expert belt Physical Electivire and Spec P-Z with Adapt.

Surprisingly bulkydos makes an awesome lead in BT being able to taunt, waterfall and ice fang for coverage. Only poke I had trouble with was the Lati@s twins and only Calm Mind variations.

I got to battle #42 with this team in June...:

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Night Slash
Ice Punch
Brick Break
Swords Dance

Alakazam @ Choice Specs
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Trick

Machamp @ Leftovers
Dynamicpunch
Stone Edge
Rest
Sleep Talk

...then picked it up again last week and reset the game without saving because the battle animations were turned off. All that data, gone...

To be honest i'm stumped as to why people don't run White Herb over Choice Specs on SpecsMence. I thought (and have found) that switching in the Battle Tower can often cost you the match.

Draco Meteor is just so powerful that it can OHKO many if not most pokemon in the tower without CSpecs. Even if it only does 70-80%, the White herb restores that dropped SpA allowing you to use Dragon Pulse (assuming you didn't get killed). Then you are free to Draco Meteor the next pokemon out of the ball.

with this team i reached 105 and stopped since there's no point in continuing after you get the 100 win streak lolz

metagross @ choice band
clear body
adamant - 252 hp/ 252 atk/ 6 spd
meteor mash
earthquake
thunder punch
bullet punch

lead with this guy it OHKO's and 2HKO's a lot of things and can take a lot of hits... should be able the take 2 unSTABed earthquakes... use bullet punch on faster pokes like weavile and aerodactyl or to kill off weaken pokes... if you go up against something that uses earthquake switch to one of the following two pokes:

gengar @ choice specs
levitate
timid - 6 hp/ 252 sp atk/ 252 spd
shadow ball
thunderbolt
hidden power ice 70
focus blast

levitate makes it immune to earthquake.... choice specs lets it OHKO/2HKO many pokes as well... it has great type coverage and hits a lot of pokes super effective

salamence @ life orb
intimidate
adamant - 118 hp/ 252 atk/ 140 spd
dragon claw
earthquake
fire fang
dragon dance

you can switch in this guy if the opponent uses earthquake or a fire pokemon since it's immune to ground and resists fire making it a great partner for metagross... you can also switch it in on a grass type if you want and i advise you should since it resists grass too, giving you a chance to set up with dragon dance... after one dragon dance it'll outspeed everything and with life orb it can OHKO most of the pokes in the battle tower

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)