CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Reflections, Opinions, and Closing

Are You Satisfied with how the First "Create A Pokemon" Turned Out?

• Yeah, I felt it was handled really well

Votes: 147 42.5%
  • Well, it was alright, but a few changes need to be made

Votes: 106 30.6%
  • No, I hated it

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • I really liked it, but I think the pokemon is broken, so I'm going to be stupid and say no

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • "Create A Pokemon?"

Votes: 31 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
As long as I believe in my client there's no way that I can lose! (to Tail Glow)

Read: I'm preparing my case against it.

Sunday

Dam, I'm going to have to take poor Kakashi down if I'm going to win this... But just so you know, this is what you'll look like once I've won!

Now I want that as ym Avatar, but I need a shot where the word "off" is complete...

I AM BETTER THA N BOTH OF YOU END DEBATE.

this looks pretty good, looking forward to meybe testing it out.

Sunday

I have rediscovered Youtube. How much Phoenix related crap is on there anyway?

iirc the proper EV investment is zero.

I really do think that Tail GLow would be quite broken. Remember it can still run Mountaineer with Tail Glow. In fact, you could just run the mix set with Tail Glow in the final moveslot, Mountaineer and Ice Beam > Blizzard and call it a day for just about anything that doesn't outspeed it.

This. What Tail Glow does is remove the necessity to choose from either Compoundeyes and Mountaineer. You can now bring Syclant somewhat safely, and Tail Glow for a much higher power than no Tail Glow Compoundeyes Blizzard. That's asking for brokenness, in my book.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
got to say cooper tail glow is a VERY bad idea, it will slaughter teams no problam.

syclant@LO/lum(for T wave bliss)/F sash
max sp.attack/speed
mild/rash
tail glow
blizzard
bug B
super power

who can swich in to this after a TG is up?

I still don't understand. People said Syclant was a beast before, and all Tail Glow does is give it the potential as a mixed stat-upper. If anything, Tail Glow only makes Syclant more broken because it gives it another set option.

You all have yet to address my point about stat-uppers being dangerous after they boost in general.

I'm gonna assume the best Tail Glow set is something like this:
Tail Glow
Bug Buzz
Blizzard
Superpower

This is with Compoundeyes. If Mountaineer, then Ice Beam. Tentacruel immediately jumps to mind, as does Bronzong, Metagross, and others that have good resists and not bad defenses. Anything with Bullet Punch is gonna hurt as well. Anything faster can exploit its poor defenses to come in for a revenge kill if need be. At most this thing will have 1 physical attack, because only having one special attack is, in general, not worth it with Tail Glow. This means anything with decent special tanking ability can come in as well. Spiritomb, even, can take any of the hits. This is all assuming that Syclant hasn't Tail Glow'd yet.

If it has, on the other hand, then it's completely broken. I mean, look at Medicham. If Medicham gets a Belly Drum passed, it can OHKO everything except maybe some Groudon's. The assumption that Syclant will get in Tail Glow is flawed. Syclant doesn't have the defenses to be able to take the hit on the turn it Tail Glows. The only 'brokenness' I could see in this is the possibility that your opponent won't be able to tell what set Syclant is using, which applies to anything. As I've said, imagine a SD set with Compoundeyes. Blizzard, SD, Stone Edge and any other physical move. As soon as it gets in a SD, it can do almost exactly as much damage as Bug Buzz and Blizzard, outside of STAB.

If Tail Glow is broken, SD is too. And SD isn't broken. If Syclant had 125+ base attacks, then I would object to Tail Glow, because it would be much more of a threat. As it is, there is no brokenness.

I don't see Tail Glow being broken any more than Nasty Plot on Azelf. It's slower, but packs a significantly harder punch. Sure, Psychic is a horrible STAB, but it also gets access to Flamethrower, Grass Knot, and Thunderbolt. Azelf doesn't have that nasty 50% SR weak to contend with either, and even has an immunity to come in on.

Now, I know some of you are going to say, "Syclant has Superpower!". Guess what? Unless he hits Blissey on the switchin, she can just T-Wave him and then Softboiled stall him. If he decides to go for more TGs, just bring in something that can KO it, which isn't a difficult task, especially with the Ant being paralyzed.

What makes this any different from Infernape and his NP? I don't see anyone complaining about how that's broken.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't see Tail Glow being broken any more than Nasty Plot on Azelf. It's slower, but packs a significantly harder punch. Sure, Psychic is a horrible STAB, but it also gets access to Flamethrower, Grass Knot, and Thunderbolt. Azelf doesn't have that nasty 50% SR weak to contend with either, and even has an immunity to come in on.

Now, I know some of you are going to say, "Syclant has Superpower!". Guess what? Unless he hits Blissey on the switchin, she can just T-Wave him and then Softboiled stall him. If he decides to go for more TGs, just bring in something that can KO it, which isn't a difficult task, especially with the Ant being paralyzed.

What makes this any different from Infernape and his NP? I don't see anyone complaining about how that's broken.
And while we're at it, lets spit on all the people who contributed to Syclant because clearly their collective decisions wern't good enough.

It isn't enough it has 555 Base stats. It isn't enough it has CompoundEyes and an ability that Neutralizes Stealth Rock. It isn't enough that it has Swords Dance and Superpower, and can 2HKO Bronzong with Bug Buzz.

No, we have to give it yet more options, we have to make it stronger. Heaven forfend a pokemon should have any weaknesses.

Because the 14 polls wern't good enough. We should now appease the "we forgot Tail Glow OH NOES IT WON'T BE ABLE TO SLAUGHTER DUSKNOIR! It NEEDS to slaughter Dusknoir!" crowd.

So again, why not, since we don't give a shit about all the work that went into it, go back and give it Megahorn, Close Combat, and Baton Pass as well. It will be able to Tail Glow Pass!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
And while we're at it, lets spit on all the people who contributed to Syclant because clearly their collective decisions wern't good enough.

It isn't enough it has 555 Base stats. It isn't enough it has CompoundEyes and an ability that Neutralizes Stealth Rock. It isn't enough that it has Swords Dance and Superpower, and can 2HKO Bronzong with Bug Buzz.

No, we have to give it yet more options, we have to make it stronger. Heaven forfend a pokemon should have any weaknesses.

Because the 14 polls wern't good enough. We should now appease the "we forgot Tail Glow OH NOES IT WON'T BE ABLE TO SLAUGHTER DUSKNOIR! It NEEDS to slaughter Dusknoir!" crowd.

So again, why not, since we don't give a shit about all the work that went into it, go back and give it Megahorn, Close Combat, and Baton Pass as well. It will be able to Tail Glow Pass!
(sarcasm)you are sooooooooooo right! i think we should just take its stats and make them 200 across thee board, give him acess to Sketch, AND make mountaineer negate all moves, super-effective or not, for the switch and any turn where Syclant is in play!(/sarcasm) that being said, syclant really doesnt need tail glow. HOWEVER if enough people say they want it, we could do a poll similar to Hyra's first poll where there is no clicky poll and people have to defend their votes.

Tail Glow is broken IMO. It's too powerful move and with Tail Glow only real counter is blissey. There is only few pokemons that can outspeed Syclant. Swellow (rare), Weavile (can't do anything), Crobat (can't switch in), Jolteon (doesn't have chance) and finally Aerodactyl (can't switch in).

I love Syclant, but please drop Tail Glow.
TG + Blizzard w/ life orb to Blissey 50%-59%. It has nice chance to 2HKO. You can always revenge kill, but it can be hard because the nice 121 base speed.

If Tail Glow is allowed then I would use CB Bullet Punch Metagross so I can always kill it.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Syclant can't learn Superpower and Tail Glow, guys. Superpower's only on Pinsir and Tail Glow's only on Volbeat, so yeah... Regardless, this really needs to be tested before we jump to any conclusions. I think once the server is up and running we should test both the Tail Glow one and the non-Tail Glow one, to see if it's really broken. For now, just put a (?) next to it.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tail Glow is broken IMO. It's too powerful move and with Tail Glow only real counter is blissey. There is only few pokemons that can outspeed Syclant. Swellow (rare), Weavile (can't do anything), Crobat (can't switch in), Jolteon (doesn't have chance) and finally Aerodactyl (can't switch in).

I love Syclant, but please drop Tail Glow.
TG + Blizzard w/ life orb to Blissey 50%-59%. It has nice chance to 2HKO. You can always revenge kill, but it can be hard because the nice 121 base speed.

If Tail Glow is allowed then I would use CB Bullet Punch Metagross so I can always kill it.
dam this thing could 2ko bliss with a sp. attack after only 1 turn of setup, dont do it cooper. atlest not till its been tested.

How is it going to get that one turn of Set-up?

Blissey switches in, it Tail Glows.
It hits, Bliss either OHKOs with Flamethrower or paralyzes with Twave.

Blissey proceeds to Softboiled stall or Syclant is dead.

Umm yes it's superpowerful. I would run set like this.

Syclant @ Life Orb
Trait: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
252 SAtk, 252 Spd
- Tail Glow
- Bug Buzz / Subsitute
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power Ground

There isn't real counter when you use this set. After one TG you have over 50% chance 2HKO 252 HP, 252 Def Blissey. Calm max SDef, max HP
Cresselia takes 63%-74% damage after TG. (and nobody uses max SDef, max HP, Calm Cresselia). Buz Buzz has over 50% chance to OHKO Cresselia.

HP Ground Destroy + Blizzard is resist only Bronzong. Max SDef, max HP Calm Bronzong takes 67.16% - 78.99% from Bug Buzz after TG. Max SDef, max HP Careful Dusknoir takes 92.52% - 108.84% after TG.Also max SDef, max HP Milotic takes 54.82% - 64.47% again after TG.

You think its counterable. I don't agree.

btw, how many Blissey uses Flamethrower. + You can always use subsitute to block the thunderwave and then 2HKO. If Blissey don't use Flamethrower or Thunderwave you win it always 'cause Ice Beam or Seismic Toss can't do over 50% damage. There is always CH chance and if CHed Blizzard is OHKO.

eric the espeon

How is it going to get that one turn of Set-up?

Blissey switches in, it Tail Glows.
It hits, Bliss either OHKOs with Flamethrower or paralyzes with Twave.

Blissey proceeds to Softboiled stall or Syclant is dead.
you superpower on the switch to bliss, bliss switches out, you tail glow. nothing can stop you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)