We Are Fun. A Dual Screen Sand Team (Peaked #15)

We Are Fun.

Greetings everyone. My name is Victory Flowers. I am also known as PocketAudio in PO and in other forums. This is my first successful team that was able peaked me to rank #15 in PO.

I'm quite new with Competitive Pokemon Battling, having been introduced to this side of Pokemon just last year. After absorbing how EVs, IVs, Stat Boosts, STAB, Entry Hazards, (and all that technical knowledge) work, and researching on the current metagame, I got hooked with Pokemon in a whole new way. I then decided to create my own original team. I wanted to have a team that was simply fun to use and at the same exceptional in competitive battling. After weeks of testing, I have finally established this "fun" team. It is still far from being perfect, and that is why I have made this RMT to further improve it through the help of all of you on Smogon. Without further ado, here is my team.

Team Building Process

This is it how it all started. As you can already see, these 2 guys cover their weaknesses pretty nicely. My Sub SD Terrakion can take those dark attacks aimed at Reuniclus to get that +1 attack and proceed to set up and attempt a sweep. My max Def Trick Flame Orb Reuniclus can tank those nasty Fighting moves and retaliate by giving them a "present" (which burns them) with Trick and proceed to set up with Calm Mind. It can also counter anything bulky that can harm Terrakion with status by giving them his Flame Orb and usually receive Leftovers in the exchange which benefits Reuniclus and harms the receiver of the Flame Orb or tank them out with Calm Mind and Recover.

I wanted to compliment both Reuniclus and Terrakion with a Sandstorm Inducer because Sandstorm doubles Terrakion's S.Def and it also prevents attacking moves that are complimented by Sun or Rain from badly hurting Reuniclus. For those reasons, I added a max SDef Stealth Rock Tyranitar in the team. I chose to make my Tyranitar Specially Defensive with max HP EV's so that it can survive long weather wars. Tyranitar also supports Reuniclus by being a second receiver of Dark attacks. He also helps Reuniclus by taking those strong SpA. moves when Reuniclus is not properly set up to take them. Reuniclus also supports Tyranitar by taking fighting moves aimed at him and Trick them Flame Orb if possible.

The trio however, is very vulnerable to one very common threat, and that is Scizor. Genesect can also prove to be an annoyance to the trio if Terrakion is too weakened to handle him. So I then decided to add a max SDef Heatran to the team. Heatran laughs at the Bullet Punches from Scizor that were aimed at Terrakion or Tyranitar and hinder the switch with Toxic. Heatran also checks Genesect's attacks with ease. I used Taunt over Earth Power since I wouldn't be fighting opposing Heatran with my Heatran since there is a possibility that an opposing Heatran can have Air Balloon or be faster that my Heatran and Taunt proved more useful than Earth Power. Taunt allows Heatran to shut down annoying Pranksters like Sableye and Whimsicott and prevent entry hazards from piling up.

My team needed Dual Screen Support so it would be easier for Terrakion and Reuniclus to set up. Thus, Xatu was added to the team. This bird not can not only put up Screens since it has this new magical ability called Magic Bounce. With Magic Bounce, I can deflect any type of Entry Hazard and deflect Status like ThunderWaves aimed at Heatran or Toxics and Will-O-Wisps aimed at Tyranitar or Terrakion. Xatu can also deflect Spores from opposing Brelooms and Amoonguss' if I predict accordingly. This Xatu has Roost to heal off damage and a slow U-Turn to effectively switch into Terrakion or Reuniclus to initiate sweeping after Xatu has set up his screens.

My team was still weak against Rain Teams. Threats like Keldeo, Breloom, Gyrados, and Thundurus seem very common in today's metagame, so I added the Amoonguss to the team. Now this mushroom saved my ass too many times from those threats. I ran a max SDef Clear Smog Amoongus since Clear Smog proved more useful than Stun Spore for those sweepers with Lum Berries like Gyrados and Salamence. Amoonguss' ability Regenerator is just swell. After being worn down and torn up from constant abuse, all this mushroom has to do is switch out to recover. A 100% accurate sleep inducer and has proved invaluable to the team. It allows Terrakion and Reuniclus to switch in and set up or shut down threats to the team.

Tyranitar proved to be too unreliable since it lacked instant recovery and Reuniclus can only handle so much Fighting attacks aimed at him. I also need a bulky phazer, and after researching a bit, Hippowdon seemed to compliment my needs. So I replaced Tyranitar with the Sand Hippo. With Hippowdon, my weather wars seemed easier to win. With Slack Off, I can easily recover damage which Tyranitar could not. Hippowdon also proved to be a better phazer than Tyranitar.

The Team

Totoro (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sandstream
EVs : 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature (+SDef, - S.Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Roar

Totoro plays three very important roles in my team. To Summon Sandstorm, set up Steath Rock, and phaze out sweepers. The reason why I chose Hippowdon over the more popular Tyranitar was because of durability. Slack Off was the selling point of Hippowdon. With Slack Off, weather wars seemed easier to win. I also needed a reliable phazer. I used to run a Ice Fang over Roar, but Roar proved to be more useful than Ice Fang because this team gets wrecked by Baton Pass teams and Smash Passers. I made him Specially Defensive since he can handle physical attacks rather nicely without the EVs and Nature into Def and Totoro needs that extra S.Def to take those heavy Special Attacks.

Scarab @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Protect​

Scarab is my best answer to Scizor, Genesect, and Sun Teams. This team would fall apart without him because of those two threats. Lava Plume is there for a reliable way to OHKO Scizor, Genesect, (under neutral weather) and to damage other Steel and grass types. In any case I mispredict, the Burn chance can nab some of my counter's health while I stall with protect. I use Taunt over Earth Power since the only time I use it is against an opposing Heatran, which I easily handle with Reuniclus or Terrakion. Taunt shuts down Pranksters, Hazard Planters, and Baton Pass Teams which makes my battles a lot easier

Dr.Fetus @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Trick
- Recover

Despite Dr.Fetus' unimposing appearance, (Being an aborted baby in jello,) he is quite the sweeper and the crippler. Dr. Fetus' primary objective is to Trick his Flame Orb to threats like Genesect and Scizor to half their attack and slowly kill them with the residual damage. If a Genesect is holding a Choice Scarf, I simply Trick again since most players would just U-Turn out without expecting their counter to get crippled with Choice Scarf. (Unless the switch was Scarfed) Thanks to its Flame Orb, Dr. Fetus cannot be harmed by Paralysis or Sleep if the orb was activated. If there are no threats from the opposing team, Dr.Fetus can proceed to set up with Calm Mind and Recover then attempt a sweep. Dr. Fetus also tanks Fighting attacks aimed at Heatran and Terrakion and Trick them Flame Orb to cripple them if possible and set up or straight out attack depending on the situation.

FunkyFungi @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog / Stun Spore
- Hidden Power (Ice)​

Since Rain Teams are becoming even more popular in today's metagame, I needed a guy to make take out prominent sweepers of the Rain like Keldeo. Other common sweepers like Breloom and Terrakion threaten my team, and a reliable counter to all of them is this mushroom. With its unique typing, this mushroom just laughs at Water, Grass, and Fighting attacks. Spore is amazing. Taking out a threat without a chance of missing is stellar. Should my opponent decide to wait out the sleep, I can switch in to Reuniclus or Terrakion to set up, or switch in to Hippowdon to Roar it out to reset the sleep counter. I chose Clear Smog over Stun Spore for those Lum Berry users like Kingdra and Gyrados, but I use Stun Spore from time to time. Hidden Power Ice is there to nail Dragon types like Salamence and Dragonite for heavy damage. After getting damaged by checking threats, Regenerator will gradually put FunkyFungi back into the fray.

Sentaro @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the great, and terrifying, Sentaro. Its dual stabs brutally slaughter anything that cannot resist them, and after an SD, Sentaro decimates anything slower than him, or without priority moves like Bullet Punch and Aqua Jet. If it has a Sub and an SD under its belt however, that's a different story. Scizor and Azumarill will die before even touching this beast. There are 2 notable counters to Sentaro, them being Gliscor and Slowbro, but they will have to think twice since Stone Edge can effectively 2HKO most sets of Slowbro and Gliscor after an SD boost. There are 3 obscure threats that put Terrakion's sweep into a full stop, and those 3 are Nidoqueen, Claydol, and Golurk. Fortunately, these 3 threats are very uncommon. Even though they were present in a battle, they still would be badly hurt from an SD boosted Stone Edge or from a Close Combat. I run Rock Slide sometimes, usually when I feel unlucky, since a miss could turn the tables of an entire match, and that's no fun. But that lack of power disallows me to OHKO some notable threats like Gyrados without SD.

Inkochan (Xatu) (M) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Roost

Inkochan has two main roles to fulfill in this team. Set up Screens and Deflect Hazards and Status. Thanks to Magic Bounce, Inkochan can deflect any Hazard or Status aimed at him. Inkochan counters Breloom and Amoonguss nicely, as all their attacks are tanked by this bird after putting up Reflect or Light Screen. Should they try to Spore one of team members, all I have to do is switch into Inkochan to potentially take them out for a few turns. (Or from the entire battle should I use Scarab to burn them into a crisp or Roar them out with my Totoro to reset the Sleep Counter. By setting up Dual Screens, Dr.Fetus and Sentaro can easily set up and attempt a sweep. Roost heals off damage and a slow U-turn effectively puts Sentaro or Reuniclus into the field without getting hurt. It all seems well and good for Xatu, but his stats are subpar and he can easily be taken out by strong Stab moves even if Dual Screens are up. Sandstorm also hinders his longevity, but he is still viable under it.​

Importable

Totoro (Hippowdon) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Slack Off

Scarab (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
- Taunt

Dr. Fetus (Reuniclus) (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Trick
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Sentaro (Terrakion) @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

FunkyFungi (Amoonguss) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Clear Smog

Inkochan (Xatu) (M) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Roost

Changes That I Considered

Bronzong @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SDef
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

Because of Inkochan's subpar defensive stats, I've considered replacing him with Bronzong. However, Bronzong lacks any means of recovery and requires a Wish Passer to last. By replacing Inkochan, I am Hazard and Status prone. That is why I haven't replace him yet. Can anyone enlighten me on how I should go on about this issue?

Closing Comments

I hope you enjoyed reading this RMT. If you like this team, please give it a Luvdisc. Also, if you have any suggestions, recommendations, or even nitpicks, please provide away.

I do see the merits of the survivability of leftovers, but

Also, the rock gem does 83-98 percent to Slowbro, which is a possible ohko with stealth rock, and if not allows you to simply use Close Combat as a 100 percent accuracy move to finish him off. The previous two statements assume you are +2 by the way.

Hi VictoryFlowers a nice team you got there, the first thing I noticed and that Tornadus-T will play on your team if you have not raised Light Screen so I suggest you change the Heatran for a Jirachi Sp.Def so you have a safe to switch Tornadus-T, so you can resist the Fire your so I suggest you change your Reuniclus by Starmie so you will have a Rapid Spinner Xatu is defeated if I do not know why so many special Pokemon holding the hand I suggest you replace the effort of the Hippowdon to 252 HP/252 Def / 4 Sp.Def.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Careful, 252 HP, 224 SpD, 32 Spe
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
-Stealth Rock

Jirachi enters easily into T-Tornadus without much trouble holding his Hurricane which is his main blow and recover with podende Wish addition to be able to spend the rest of the time

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid, 252 HP, 24 Def, 8 SpA, 224 Spe
- Ice Beam / scald / Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Starmie will work very well absorbed by the Natural Cure status, in addition it has access to Rapid Spin which can take the hazards of their field who can give you a headache if your opponent can place them.

Hope this helps!

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey. I like the structure of your team, and how it focuses around the excellent combo of Reuniclus and Terrakion. However, your team is very weak to opposing Latios that use Life Orb over Choice Specs. Your team gives Latios multiple opportunities to switch in and run through it. To deal with it, I'd recommend replacing Xatu with a Jirachi. You already have multiple means of checking Breloom and Amoonguss, so Xatu is not as needed. Sure Magic Bounce is nice, but having a reliable check to Latios is even nicer. Jirachi can also lay down screens if your team so demands it. Also, to deal with powerful physical attackers, I'd recommend making your Hippowdon a physically defensive variant. This lets you cover threats such as Terrakion and Landorus better. I'd also recommend using Rock Gem over Leftovers on Terrakion, so you can score the OHKO on several notable physical walls, such as Gliscor and Skarmory, with Stone Edge.

Sets:

Jirachi @ Leftovers | Serene Grace
Careful Nature | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Iron Head | Body Slam | Wish | U-turn

Jirachi @ Light Clay | Serene Grace
Careful Nature | 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Reflect | Light Screen | Wish | U-turn

Nitpicks:

252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD ----> 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD

Leftovers ----> Rock Gem

I listed out two Jirachi sets: a specially defensive variant, and a Dual Screens variant. Try out the one that you feel will suit your team the most. Of course, feel free to mess around with the EVs of the Dual Screens variant until you feel like they are the best they can be. Wish support from Jirachi can keep your team especially healthy. Nice team, and good luck!

Hello

Since your team was #15 one cant recommend you some big changes. Latios ceratinly is a big threat. However, i think that your heatran can handle the job by changing the structure of his moveset. I would suggest you to use Lava Plume,Roar,Toxic,Protect/HP ice. That would help you a lot in handling your threats. Also you should change your Hippowdon to a defensive wall.
Now as many others recommended you should at least test the rock gem. However, you have to be careful when using it since you only have one chance
One more thing, you can also try Espeon instead of Xatu.Espeon has the Magic bounce it can set the Screens while being a batter damage dealer and it can have an advantage because of its speed. IMO it is worth trying.

Summary:
-Defensive Hippowdon
-New Heatran moveset
-Rock gem
-Espeon

Hey! Man you have a nice team there but i cant help but notice that you team is very weak to almost any set of Heracross. Even you reniculus will be OHKO by a megahorn. If you trick a flame orb on a Heracross....gg :( The best way you can counter this is by replacing Reniculus with Cofagrigus. That way you can have a little more bulk, a spin blocker and still have great synergy with terrakion. I would recommend running this set:

Cofagrigus
Bold
252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 Spe
Item: Leftovers

Hex
Hidden Power Fighting
Calm Mind
Will-o-Wisp

(This way you can still have a nasty suprise burn for sweepers)

Having cofagrigus means that you can keep Xatu instead of Brozong because cofagrigus offers the bulk that Xatu lacks.

This is just my opinion not yours

Good Luck!

Hey. I like the structure of your team, and how it focuses around the excellent combo of Reuniclus and Terrakion. However, your team is very weak to opposing Latios that use Life Orb over Choice Specs. Your team gives Latios multiple opportunities to switch in and run through it. To deal with it, I'd recommend replacing Xatu with a Jirachi. You already have multiple means of checking Breloom and Amoonguss, so Xatu is not as needed. Sure Magic Bounce is nice, but having a reliable check to Latios is even nicer. Jirachi can also lay down screens if your team so demands it. Also, to deal with powerful physical attackers, I'd recommend making your Hippowdon a physically defensive variant. This lets you cover threats such as Terrakion and Landorus better. I'd also recommend using Rock Gem over Leftovers on Terrakion, so you can score the OHKO on several notable physical walls, such as Gliscor and Skarmory, with Stone Edge.

Sets:

Jirachi @ Leftovers | Serene Grace
Careful Nature | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Iron Head | Body Slam | Wish | U-turn

Jirachi @ Light Clay | Serene Grace
Careful Nature | 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Reflect | Light Screen | Wish | U-turn

Nitpicks:

252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD ----> 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD

Leftovers ----> Rock Gem

I listed out two Jirachi sets: a specially defensive variant, and a Dual Screens variant. Try out the one that you feel will suit your team the most. Of course, feel free to mess around with the EVs of the Dual Screens variant until you feel like they are the best they can be. Wish support from Jirachi can keep your team especially healthy. Nice team, and good luck!
I've tried having my Terrakion run Rock Gem and holy shit... I've caught so many guys off guard with it! Now I can kiss those sweep breakers goodbye! Latios does wreck my team, and the only way I could beat it was with my Heatan, so I've added a Dual Screen Jirachi and it did pretty well. Wish support really helps out my team. I've been getting a lot of Wish passes to my Heatran which was exactly what I needed. I'm going to retire Xatu now. He'll be missed. T-T Hazards aren't really a problem, since the only trouble I have with them is when they rack up, but my Terrakion or Reuniclus would already be set up and ready to sweep after that. And plus, my Amoonguss can absorb those pesky Toxic Spikes which hurts my Terrakion and Hippowdon. I also tried making Hippowdon physically defensive and now I could check Landorus and Terrakion without much problems. Much better than my Specially defensive now. Thanks a lot Trinitrotoluene! I'll edit the RMT now.

Btw, I tried using your team "Deep Sea of Mare". Loved it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)