Jumpluff (BW2 Analysis) (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

Jumpluff is strongth

Skeleton:
[Overview]
  • He may seem like a mediocre choice when looking at his stats.
  • However, Jumpluff possesses key traits to be used over others; in particular, Chlorophyll
  • It also has a lot of cool support moves such as Leech Seed, Encore, and Sleep Powder.
  • It can even catch it's usual counters off-guard with a Swords Dance Set.
  • However, it is extremely frail, has terrible stats, and faces competition with a majority of Sun abusers, having a slight niche over each one.
  • What it has going for it is the fastest Sleep move in the game, acrobatics, and a strong defensive typing for the current meta; resisting Water, Ground, and Fighting.
  • However, Jumpluff can still apply strong support or offensive presence on a sun team.

[SET]
name: Acrobatics
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Sleep Powder
move 3: Acrobatics
move 4: Seed Bomb
item: Flying Gem
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]

• Although it seems like an odd option with it's pathetic looking base 55 attack, it hits hard thanks to Swords Dance and the massive power of a Flying-Gem boosted Acrobatics.
  • With the sun, it outspeeds every single relevant pokemon in the metagame.
  • It can also offer useful support being the fastest sleep move available.
  • To run any damage, the first thing we need is Swords Dance to boost its attack to a decent level.
  • To get the boost, Sleep Powder is used.
  • Acrobatics boosted by Flying gem is strong. Seed Bomb for coverage.
  • Jumpluff can really give you a good matchup against opposing sun teams as Chlorophyll sweepers, Volcarona, and even Infernape are wrecked by Acrobatics.

[Additional Comments]
  • It can opt to run Encore over Sleep Powder or Seed Bomb to get other ways of getting setup.
  • It may drop the entire Swords Dance idea and turn it to a SubSeeding set with Acrobatics to wreck Grass-Types. You would use Substitute and Leech Seed over Seed Bomb and Swords Dance.
  • It can run a mono-attacking set with Substitute or Encore for more utility.
    *]Ninetales is nearly obligatory support to let Jumpluff outspeed everything and it eliminates most Steels. Variants should have enough speed to outspeed Mamoswine.
  • Anything that gets rid of Steels and/or spins is good for it.
  • Examples of this would be Forretress, Dugtrio, and Volcarona.
  • Forretress is the premier spinner which really helps if you run Volcarona on your team as well, as you stack a dual SR weakness.
  • Dugtrio helps you win the weather war and disposes of steel-types such as Heatran and Jirachi.
  • ScarfTran works really well as it can also surprise kill Mamoswine and deal with Scizor

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Sleep Powder
move 2: Encore
move 3: Memento
move 4: U-Turn
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Jumpluff also has a lot of support options, while being the fastest pokemon in the game after a boost in the sun.
  • It can be the epitome of annoyance when used properly.
  • Fastest Encore in the game really helps.
  • Helps in sun offensive teams get good setup opportunities for Pokemon such as Volcarona.
  • It helps against Pokemon such as Rock Polish Landorus as it resists it's main STAB and is resistant to Focus Blast, encoring these pokemon to get momentum over them.
  • Sleep Powder is used to nullify the opposition.
  • Encore can stop set-up mons in their tracks while abusing Jumpluff's speed and resistances.
  • Memento is used to also give you good set-up opportunities.
  • U-Turn carries out momentum on the team.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Max Speed lets you outspeed base 110's in the sun carrying an Hidden power with 30 Spe IVs (Fire/Fighting) and speed tie to those without. The rest is dumped into bulk.
  • The rest is dumped into optimal bulk. It helps you not being 2HKOed by Landorus' Focus Blast after SR and even live an Outrage from Salamence.
  • Stun Spore is another option you can run over U-Turn. U-Turn doesn't offer the strong momentum and requires a decent chunk of more prediction, but it may save you against pokemon such as Dragon Dance Salamence when the sleep clause is gone. It can be your saving grace multiple times allowing you to cripple more pokemon.
  • Toxic can also cripple some opponents.
  • Sun is mandatory.
  • Jumpluff can support pokemon such as Volcarona, giving them set-up opportunities, you pretty much need a spinner with that though.
  • U-Turn to Gothitelle or Dugtrio is cool, as you lure fire types or Grass-types who expect Leech Seed.

[Other Options]
  • Aromatherapy
  • Sunny Day
  • Synthesis can give you quick and bountiful recovery.

[Checks And Counters]
  • Swords Dance is weak to priority attacks such as Mamoswine
  • Steel-Types wall it easily.
  • Weather Change + Scarfer
  • It is really frail, so it's easy to kill off.
  • Natural Cure pokemon or Status absorbers can help.
  • Fire, Rock, and Ice-Type attacks.
  • Anything feasibly powerful can kill it.

[Overview]

<p>Jumpluff's stats give you an impression that it is an awful Pokemon to use in the metagame. It doesn't have any decent stat but Speed; which is rather high. However, it has a couple of things going for it. First, it has the ability Chlorophyll which lets it become the fastest Pokemon in the entire game if sunlight is up. Next, it has access to multiple strong support moves such as Leech Seed, Encore, Memento, and Sleep Powder. Lastly, it also has the surprising capability to pose a strong offensive threat thanks to the extremely powerful Acrobatics and the ability to learn Swords Dance, allowing it to clean up weakened teams. On the other hand, Jumpluff is extremely frail and needs to rely on resistances and immunities to switch in or annoy something successfully, especially with a weakness to Stealth Rock. Offensive variants need a Swords Dance boost to properly do any damage and are walled hard by Steel-types. Regardless, Jumpluff is still a great Pokemon whether it is giving support or cleaning up teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Acrobatics
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Sleep Powder
move 3: Acrobatics
move 4: Seed Bomb
item: Flying Gem
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While you might laugh at Jumpluff's base 55 Attack, it will hit rather hard thanks to Swords Dance and the massive power that Acrobatics offers. Jumpluff also has no trouble outspeeding threats thanks to its massive Speed stat in the sun. Jumpluff really helps in the match-up against opposing sun teams as most sun abusers are weak to its Flying-type STAB. Swords Dance lets Jumpluff boost its measly Attack stat to a decent level allowing it to sweep teams. Sleep Powder is the main means of getting that boost; as it will be hard otherwise as Jumpluff is very frail. Sleep Powder also really helps neutralize a threat to your team. Acrobatics is this set's main way of attacking. With a Flying Gem, Acrobatics can reach a massive 165 Base Power before STAB, which mitigates Jumpluff's measly Attack. Seed Bomb is there for extra coverage, while dealing damage to Pokemon such as Rotom-W. It is also your main weapon against opposing weather starters as it can hit every one of them for super-effective damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Jumpluff's EV spread is rather self-explanatory; it uses an Adamant nature over a Jolly one in order to give it a needed boost in its Attack stat. However, Jolly can also be an option to help it outspeed foes such as Terrakion and Keldeo without sunlight, as well as outspeeding +2 Terrakion and +2 Landorus in the sunlight; two massive threats to sun teams. You may use Encore over Sleep Powder to capitalize on Jumpluff's resistances and immunities to set upwhile helping against opposing setup sweepers without having to rely on Sleep Powder's accuracy. You can also ditch the entire idea of Swords Dance and make a SubSeeding set that uses Acrobatics in order to kill Grass-types with a set such as Sleep Powder / Substitute / Leech Seed / Acrobatics. This is the best possible way to abuse Leech Seed on Jumpluff. Such a set can also consider dropping Seed Bomb for Substitute or Encore since Acrobatics is a powerful enough move to be the only attacking move in the set. </p>

<p>When it comes to partners, Ninetales is mandatory as sun is the only reason you would use Jumpluff in the first place; sun allows Jumpluff to outspeed every single relevant Pokemon in the metagame. When you run Jumpluff in the sun, it is recommended that your Ninetales has enough speed investment to outspeed Mamoswine in order to cripple him with Will-O-Wisp or KO him with SolarBeam. Sun's common assets; such as Dugtrio and Volcarona; work well with Jumpluff as they help deal with Steel-types. Rapid Spin support and entry hazard support are very helpful to Jumpluff as it helps Jumpluff turn some 2HKOs into OHKOs as well as letting it switch in more times. Forretress fits in very well as it can also check Mamoswine. A very interesting Pokemon to run is Choice Scarf Heatran, as it can deal with most Steel-types and surprise-kill Mamoswine.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Sleep Powder
move 2: Encore
move 3: Memento
move 4: U-Turn
item: Leftovers
nature: Jolly
evs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Jumpluff has access to multiple support options and is the fastest user of those moves under the sun. It can be an incredible asset to a sun team as having the fastest Encore lets it stop a lot of threats to sun such as Dragonite, Garchomp, and Landorus, as well as Sleep Powder. Jumpluff offers a lot of momentum on sun teams while using it's resistances to be a decent annoying pivot. The main move of this set is Sleep Powder, which lets it speedily neutralize a threat for a majority of the match. Encore can destroy nearly any set-up sweeper and can lock the likes of Keldeo and Landorus into moves that barely do any damage to it, disrupting any momentum that they might have. Memento is also very helpful as it gives sweepers such as Volcarona a chance to set up very easily and can also stop an opposing sweep from time to time. U-turn is the main move that sustains momentum throughout the game, and can work especially well as Jumpluff will force a lot of switches.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum Speed lets Jumpluff outspeed base 110s outside of the sun that carry Hidden Power Fire or Fighting, and speed tie with those without. The rest is to provide it with optimal bulk, which allows it to live some rather powerful attacks, such as Salamence's Outrage, and avoid the 2HKO by Landorus's Focus Blast after Stealth Rock. Stun Spore is another option you can run over U-turn. Stun Spore doesn't offer the strong momentum and requires significantly more prediction, but it may save you against Pokemon such as Dragon Dance Salamence after Sleep Clause has been activiated. Toxic is another option to slowly cripple a Pokemon and slowly whittle it's health down, but Jumpluff won't be staying in for too long, so it's not the greatest option. </p>

<p>Once again, Ninetales support is absolutely mandatory, and a spinner always helps as Jumpluff will be switching in and out annoying opposing Pokemon and providing teammates with setup opportunities. Entry hazard support is good as you can force a lot of switches thanks to Encore and Sleep Powder. This makes Forretress an extremely good partner for Jumpluff. The kind of momentum Jumpluff can offer, as well as Encore support, can also function very well with Gothitelle, who capitalize on Jumpluff's ability to gain momentum with U-turn and Encore while trapping opposing weather starters.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Aromatherapy is a decent option to heal teammates of status, but you really don't want to waste momentum and it doesn't offer as much utility compared to other moves such as Encore or Stun Spore. Sunny Day can help against opposing weathers regaining the upper hand should opponents switch into their weather starter to change the weather after Jumpluff uses Encore or Sleep Powder, but you are usually better of U-turning into Gothitelle or Dugtrio. Synthesis can also work on a support set, keeping Jumpluff alive while alleviating its Stealth Rock weakness, but it loses momentum, so usually it's not the greatest option.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Jumpluff might be annoying, it really isn't hard to stop. Any offensive variant is walled hard by most Steel-types, and can also be beat with priority attacks such as Mamoswine's Ice Shard and Scizor's Bullet Punch. It isn't too hard to deal with if you are able to sacrifice something to Sleep Clause, as it is frail and can't take many attacks unless it has defensive investment. Most super-effective attacks can easily knock it out; a few examples are Heatran's Lava Plume, Terrakion's Stone Edge, and Keldeo's Hidden Power Ice. Finally, any user of Magic Bounce can completely stop all of Jumpluff's support options..</p>

I dunno about the Swords Dance set, assuming that you're talking about something similar to the NU variant and not something completely different. Flying and Grass have pretty mediocre coverage, and if Jumpluff uses Acrobatics and the Flying Gem, its attacks become pitifully weak, even at +2 and an Adamant nature. Basically every Steel type in OU can wall it forever, while offensive teams don't have many problems tanking a hit and returning a KO. For example, Offensive Latios can't be 2HKOed at +2 without a Flying Gem, while it can easily OHKO back. And then there's the whole thing about being weak to SR, being about as frail as Lucario, being reliant on Sleep Powder to actually grab a boost... I just think that Jumpluff isn't worth it as a sweeper. Venusaur and Lilligant do the whole sweeper with Sleep Powder thing much, much better.
A support set is much more viable, as Jumpluff does have a good movepool for it, what with Encore, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, etc. It does face some competition with Whimsicott, though, so be sure to give it a mention.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The only set I will approve is the SD AcroGem set >:| Don't bother writing up Leech Seed!

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah Leech Seed is almost totally outclassed by Whimsicott (which itself isn't even very good) and Venusaur.

I think SD is very questionable too (I mean, it has 55 base attack lol), but I'm happy to give it a chance. SD Flying gem acrobatics should still be very powerful, jumpluff is very fast, and jumpluff can set up easily using its support moves.

tehy

Banned deucer.
As I recall, SD jumpluff is surprisingly strong for the base 55 atk. Even if it epically fails, Sleep Powder is still getting a "kill", and it outspeeds everything under sunlight. Plus, you can argue that steels aren't hard to deal with under sunlight anyhow. (On the flip side, my useless skarmory now has a use against sun teams, and a way to set hazards! Ditto for any forries or even ferros.) And it can sleep tran for a teammate, i suppose (needs to force something out to accomplish that though).

Also, how much does unboosted Flying Gem/without gem acro do to Volca? That would be a cool sun team check/RKer for volcarona, who would want sun up anyhow.

Eh, I don't know about one of the most threatening... sounds good on paper, but the opponent can easily check it with someone carrying a lum berry... :/

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was also theorymoning a support set for Jumpluff, which MIGHT work, but I haven't tested it yet:

Jumpluff @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 188 Def / 68 SpD / 252 Spe (play around with the EVs to how you seen fit)
Nature: Timid / Jolly
- Sleep Powder
- Encore
- Memento
- Stun Spore / U-turn

You're outspeeding pretty much everything, so on a good day, you might be to Encore some set up sweeper, Sleep whatever came in, paralyse whatever else switched after sleep, and then later, Memento yourself a sweep. If not, you should be able to pull off at least one of these things... hopefully.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Eh, I don't know about one of the most threatening... sounds good on paper, but the opponent can easily check it with someone carrying a lum berry... :/
This logic pretty much applies to anything having a sleep-inducing move; if Breloom, Amoonguss, and Smeargle are most willing to take the risk, then so is Jumpluff. Also, Lum Berry checks are shaky at best due to the player being able to switch in Jumpluff whenever desired, and previously they can't switch in because Jumpluff can just use Powder again the following turn.

I'm relatively neutral in the current state this analysis is in. I will, however, test out the Swords Dance set, since I have had several odd experiences playing against it. I might also give Shrang's set a go on a weatherless team, though I have to ask why I would actually use it.

if anyone wants teams to test this guy out for yourself (particularly the SD set) just shoot me a PM i'll send you.. will write up the SD Set (since it seems the most controversial) in an hour or so

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I might also give Shrang's set a go on a weatherless team, though I have to ask why I would actually use it.
Can I suggest that you test it in the sun? There is very little point to using Jumpluff out of sun, lol.

Also, I'm pretty sure that most of QC have rejected the Leech Seed set. It's pretty bad. Remove it please.

On the SD set, I'd just go with max Speed instead of 248. The extra 4 HP EVs do nothing special, while max speed allows you to outspeed base 110s with HP Fire, which is pretty important. I'd also slash Jolly in so you can outspeed +2 Timid Landorus-I, which is really problematic to sun teams, and nothing will satisfy you more than to put that fucker to sleep, set up SD on it, then kill it.

I dont have access to a computer right now and i have some thoughts on what you mentioned. Ill edit the post for more details soon but to give a little bit of last hope for the leech seed set you can check out Leftiez's RMT threat under sun. If i sound really dumb now sorry im rushing it. They have it in ubers so i just assumed i should put it. I have some slight chamges to shrangs set that i might make an analysis of

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
O.K

QC had a discussion on jumpluff, and we all reject the SubSeed Staller set. It legit breaks my heart to get rid of jumpluffs flagship set but far 2 much beats it these days. For instance, Xatu and Espeon will laugh at you and Ferrothorn, Breloom, Celebi and Venusaur all absorb Leech Seed (HP Fire hurts but then you drop Sleep Powder). Speaking of Venusaur, it actually does the set better with better bulk and power (the only thing you miss out on is speed but cloro sorta negates this) and yes, its got Sleep Powder just like jumpluff. I just don't see a place for it in the metagame im sorry :(

On a lighter note, QC has approved the SD set, so jumpluff actually will get a BW2 analysis. The sets good, shrangs shown us that its still successful, and a few other battlers have used it to certain degrees of success so please keep it.

Lastly, I have taken one for the team, and tested out Support Jumpluff with QC member shrang and user jumpluff observing (read: ghosting) and I am honestly unexpectedly surprised at the results. I had low expectations and while the set wasn't drop dead outstanding, jumpluff did actually provide a fair bit of support, or example, it always managed to put something to sleep, it would often score a set up opportunity via Encore, it nearly always managed to survive long enough for me to throw off a memento for a free set up opportunity, and all the while it managed to preserve momentum via U-Turn. Its also just so darn cute!

Anyway I used shrangs set and EVs cos I was lazy and wanted to throw something together, but after testing Stun Spore I found that jumpluff would often LOSE momentium after encoring something, since I would be forced out into a blind switch. It was also a pain against something like Celebi which would just laugh :/ U-Turn gets around this by letting me use Encore and Sleep Powder, and then earn the better matchup with U-Turn. If they stay in, they are encored into a move I know and can set up, when if they switch I get the better position. U-Turn was also successful at scouting the switch (ie against Xatu / Espeon) and it was really nice with Dugtrio support, since i would often manage to catch a Heatran or Tyranitar (popping the formers balloon) and go to Dugtrio for the trap and kill. It was really just a nice set with a good amount of utility, no more than that, and no less.

I personally don't see the problem with it getting an analysis, but I advice the author to seek more opinions on QC since im just 1 player and you potentially want a few more opinions before giving it the go ahead.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I am ok with the SD set, as it is a menace for sun teams, has a fast Sleep Poweder, and can clean decently offensive teams if given the chance (priority and scarfers are dead or put to sleep).

I don't have a problem with the support set, but my question is why would i use it on a team? Which role would it fill? Is it meant to be a momentum grabber for offensive teams? 'Cause if this is the case, we all know that this didn't work out for Whimsicott very well. Jumpluff may have Sleep Poweder over Whimsi, but it is SR weak, can be outsped when using non-attacking moves (that priority Encore is so swet), and has way more bulk due to Whimsi's ability to invest in HP and defenses.

So what is the role that support Jumpluff fills, and in what teams i would use it?

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So what is the role that support Jumpluff fills, and in what teams i would use it?
You use it on sun, as a utility mon. During the game, you can sleep powder something (something Whimsicott cannot do), while giving set up opportunities for your various sun sweepers. As a bonus, with 700+ speed under sunlight, you can encore pretty much every single set up sweeper into its boosting move (provided they lack priority and that you can get in safely). With Encore and Sleep Powder forcing switches, U-Turn is there to get the advantage, while dissuading Heatran, Terrakion and Tyranitar from easily switching in. Later in the game, when you see the opportunity, drop the memento, crippling somethings offensive prowess, and go for the free set up with something like Volcarona or Venusaur.

Don't underrate Sleep Powder as its really your trump card. Having the ability to basically KO something is massive which is sort of your main draw over Whimsicott. As for teams, again, sun, with a set up sweeper or two that can be really damaing once it sets up should do fine. Jumpluff pretty much finds its home on sun teams since SR isn't so much of a problem (due to sun being pretty heavily reliant on getting SR OFF the field) so you are ok there. Being able to switch into 3/4 of Landorus-I's moveset is also pretty darn cool.

I just tested out the shrang's support Jumpluff set.... It's absolutely amazing. It's basically uses all the good features I liked of the SubSeeding set while magnifying it. I might overhype it a bit there as it still faces competition with Whimsicott (i think it's main advantage there is it's Flying typing; giving it better resistances relevant to the OU meta such as Fighting as well as Sleep Powder) Damn though, i used this thing on Sun in tandem with Volcarona and it really helped given you can get SR off the field. I will write this up as soon as I have time since I am out of town for now. I do wonder which set should be the first set? They both go really strong in their own right. I'll also play around with more of Jumpluff's support options actually. Sorry about the Leech Seed thing being written, I just thought that it being the flagship set for so long warranted an analysis.

So, i wrote the skeleton up. I'm not sure about EV Spreads and stuff so you might correct me on that, but i think this is ready for QC Checks.

stun spore is OO material i think, it's not really doing much to pluff's regular switchins and i'd rather just get out of there with u-turn. other than that looks good. jumpluff is very cute.

qc approved 1/3

shrang

General Kenobi
General note: Speed is abbreviated "Spe" for analyses. So, you should have something like "4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe"

SD set: Just use max Speed for the EVs and slash in a Jolly nature please. I've mentioned this already, because with max Speed and Jolly, you get to outspeed base 110s carrying HP Fire / Fighting (and speed tie those without) outside of sun. The extra 4 EVs in Speed do absolutely nothing for you. Obviously Adamant is preferred because Jumpluff needs all the attack it can get, but Jolly lets you outspeed +2 Timid Lando and Terrakion (another important threat), which is pretty damn important.

Support set: Again, I'd just have Jumpluff run max Speed. You outspeed more stuff outside of sun that way. Also, this set needs a name (namely, Support).

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Intriguing support set - nice find, shrang & ginganinja!

The defensive spread isn't optimal, though. I suggest changing the support spread to 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 Spe. This spread has slightly lower physical bulk for much greater increase in special bulk, resulting in an overall bulkier spread.

Here are some calc for reference:

my pread:
252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 232 HP / 0 SpD Jumpluff: 262-309 (75.07 - 88.53%)
252 Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 232 HP / 24 Def Jumpluff: 262-309 (75.07 - 88.53%)

shrang's spread
252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 68 SpD Jumpluff: 243-286 (83.5 - 98.28%)
252 Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 0 HP / 188 Def Jumpluff: 213-252 (73.19 - 86.59%)

Overview

However, it is extremely frail, has terrible stats, and faces competition with a majority of Sun abusers, having a slight niche over each one; its biggest competition is Whimsicott.
Lol don't mention Whimsicott with such appraisal - Whimsicott is shit in OU. You can instead try to break people's association of Jumpluff with Whimsicott as a shitty disruptor grass mon, by listing some pros, including access to Sleep Powder and it can actually pose an offensive threat with the AcroGem & Chlorophyll set. While Whimsicott is walled hardcore by Grass-types, Jumpluff can check them, including the dangerous Venusaur and Breloom, thanks to its uncontested Chlorophyll + 110 base Speed and a super-effective AcroGem
With this, Jumpluff can be amongst the most threatening pokemon when played right.
cliche nonsense - replace it with something more particular and meaningful.

Swords Dance
Although it seems like an odd option with it's pathetic looking base 55 attack, it hits rather hard after a Swords Dance boost.
It hits not necessarily because of the SD boost, but because the enormous base power of Acrobatics (especially the first one boosted by Flying Gem) often compensates for Jumpluff's measly Attack.
With the sun, it outspeeds every single relevant pokemon in the metagame.
It can also offer useful support being the fastest sleep move available.
You should mention how this set destroys every Chlorophyll user, providing a formidable defense against opposing Sun teams!

~ If there's any set where Jumpluff can actually run Leech Seed successfully, it's this set, thanks to STAB Acrobatics eliminating any Grass-types that attempt to block Leech Seed. Leech Seed can be run over Seed Bomb or even be coupled with Sub for SubSeed tactic (Sub over Swords Dance)

Support

~ You seriously need to emphasize the incredible utility that is fast Encore. On a Sun team where resources are limited, Encore can be used to shut down dangerous set up mons. Landorus-I just Rock Polished? No worries as you bring in Jumpluff on the turn it Rock Polish, outrun a +2 Lando to lock it into Rock Polish, forcing it to either retreat or rendering it set-up bait for dangerous Fire or Chlorophyll mons.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Definitely go with Pocket's spread, which also avoids the 2HKO from Timid Landorus's Focus Blast after SR, meaning that even if Sleep Powder has already been used, Jumpluff can come into Focus Blast, Encore it and then live the next one, and then use Memento, allowing Venusaur or TR Victini to sweep.

Also Stun Spore should go to the AC, as Memento is too good to pass up and one of support Jumpluff's main points. Use Sleep Powder, throw a couple of Encores and when the timing is right use Memento to provide a set-up opportunity. Maybe Stun Spore should even go to OO as i can't think of situations where i would want to use it. After putting something to sleep i would rather get momentum with U-turn, after succesfully Encoring something i would rather get momentum with U-turn than paralyze something and then lose momentum, and when facing dangerous sweepers Memento and Encore are almost always better (Encore the setup move or use Memento if they attacked as you came in, providing a set-up chance to a teammate). Don't forget that when facing a dangerous offensive threat, both Stun Spore and Memento equal to a dead Jumpluff, assuming the opponent didn't use a set-up move when Jumpluff came in and opted to attack. So what is more useful for the Pokemon you want to bring in, a paralyzed opponent that will still hit hard but will fail to move 25% of the time, or an opponent that hits half as hard?

Pocket

You also need to add in your Overview how AcroGem Jumpluff serves as a great check to opposing Sun teams (I know you mentioned this on the Swords Dance set).

I personally prefer re-naming the Swords Dance set to "AcroGem"

You need to explain the EVs for each of these sets. AcroGem spread is self-explanatory, but you can elaborate that the support spread optimizes the overall bulk after maxing its Speed. Provide some examples of the moves it can survive (Draco Meteor and Outrage from an unboosted Latios and Salamence, respectively; 2 Timid Focus Blasts from Landorus after SR, as alexwolf has offered).

shrang

General Kenobi
Don't forget that when facing a dangerous offensive threat, both Stun Spore and Memento equal to a dead Jumpluff, assuming the opponent didn't use a set-up move when Jumpluff came in and opted to attack. So what is more useful for the Pokemon you want to bring in, a paralyzed opponent that will still hit hard but will fail to move 25% of the time, or an opponent that hits half as hard?
I agree that Stun Spore is AC or OO material, but what you presented here really depends on the opposing Pokemon in question, IMO. There are some Pokemon which I would definitely prefer paralysed than just half-powered (which remember, is just a once off fix). I'd much rather paralyse a DD Mence rather than Memento it, say, because if my team is weakened, it could probably sweep me at -1 anyway (just suppose it had one DD up), or it can just switch out and come back later. On the other hand, a paralysed Salamence is completely useless. When you get to Stun Spore in the analysis, I think, it should reflect that it does not allow Jumpluff to capitalise on the momentum gained from Encore or Sleep Powder, instead of talking about how Memento intrinsically does what Stun Spore already does, because it doesn't.

I can vouch for the Sword Dance set being unexpectedly effective. Jumpluff works very well outside of Sun as well, picking up a surprising amount of revenge kills on weakened foes even unboosted (though admittedly, you'll generally lose your Flying Gem), though obviously this is generally for the explicit purpose of clearing the field to get Sun up. Jumpluff is great at taking out or at least checking most varieties of Politoed, which in of itself makes it quite useful. (In fact, he can take care of every single weather inducer with one Swords Dance, none of which can outspeed him even in their own weather.) His Special Defense is also oddly potent; I find he'll generally take about 50% damage from Thunders off Jirachi, and entirely negligible damage from errant Scalds or Hydro Pumps, which can often give you the opening you need. I haven't tried it yet, but theoretically, an investment of 128 in Special Defense would give Jumpluff enough bulk to take a life-orb boosted Thunder off Jolteon, and a max Special Defense Jumpluff can even take an Ice Beam off Politoed if he's running it. This will possibly give you more of a chance to boost up, which can and will more than make up for the drop in Attack if you get off an extra Swords Dance; generally, in Sun, your speed's just so goddamn blindingly fast that nothing can touch you anyway. I'm going to experiment with different setups just to see if more survivability makes Jumpluff more effective.

Ice Shard is insta-death though. It's often a good idea to switch back to Ninetales if you even suspect an Ice Shard. Decent prediction is really the name of the game if you want to get mileage out of Jumpluff.

EDIT: also, the choice between jolly and adamant really comes down to whether or not you're planning on utilizing Jumpluff in weather other than Sun (which can often be unavoidable.) Jolly gives it the speed boost it needs to catch near anything that isn't scarfed, and generally, if you can swords dance up, the drop in power is going to be unnoticable. For teammates other than Ninetales, a Choice Scarf Terrakion does it wonders in being able to reliably counter all Heatran, which you'll otherwise just need to Sleep if you can; You might be able to knock off 30% with Acrobatics, but it's rarely enough. Your other problem is probably going to be Jirachi: most rain variations run Thunder, which, even if it doesn't outright kill, can Paralyze, which spells doom for the little puffball. If you can run some sort of cleric with Aromatherapy or Heal Bell, it can give Jumpluff a second lease on life, but I generally find I'll need the firepower and additional coverage of a couple of Choice Scarf users, which including Ninetales, a couple of sun abusers and some sort of Rapid Spinner, usually means there's just no room available for that sort of support. Theoretically, an Aromatherapy Lilligant could help out, but I've never been able to make it work more effectively than all-out balls to the wall offence.

Cloyster can often provide a bit of a conundrum in my experience as well. If you stay in and try to Seed Bomb it, sometimes it'll Ice Shard you and ruin your sweep, other times, if you predict Ice Shard and switch, it'll just Shell Smash up and ruin your entire game. I used to run a Special Lucario to deal with this specifically, but found that it just didn't happen often enough to warrant a dedicated counter. In this situation, it's often better to try for the Sleep Powder or KO and get knocked out yourself, rather than switch out and have everything fall to pieces.

If I would use a physial set on Jumpluff,then I would use a EV sperad of 252Attack/56HP/200Speed with a Life Orb or an Flying Gem with Seed Bomb/Acrobatics/Sleep Powder/Swords Dance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)