move 2: SolarBeam
move 3: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 4: Will-O-Wisp / Toxic / Protect
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
ability: Drought
nature: Modest
evs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 108 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>At first glance, Sunny Day on Drought Ninetales seems completely redundant. I mean, why would you use Sunny Day on a Pokemon that can already summon permanent sunlight just by switching in? What appears to be a useless gimmick on the surface actually conceals an innovation that shook up the metagame, for this simple, yet deceptive move, can turn the tides of a weather war. While Ninetales normally has no business staying in on either Tyranitar or Politoed, a well-timed Sunny Day can actually force them out! Not only is the opponent's attempt to change the weather negated, but SolarBeam no longer has a charge-up period. Should the opponent be foolish enough to keep their weather inducer in, their cold-blooded creature will be instantly vaporized by a super effective SolarBeam. With sufficient entry hazard support, Ninetales can back the opposing weather inducer into a tight corner. Either stay in and eat a SolarBeam, or switch out and take massive damage. With status, Stealth Rock, and Spikes damage racking up, the Ninetales user could easily win the weather war without invoking specialized Pokemon such as Dugtrio. Sunny Day Ninetales is, without a doubt, a huge asset to any sun team.</p>

<p>Sunny Day Ninetales has more offensive presence than the standard Defensive variant, but isn't a ticking time bomb like the Nasty Plot variant either. This goes a long way when engaged in a weather war. Moreover, many sun sweepers such as Venusaur and Sawsbuck absolutely need sun to function, and Sunny Day Ninetales ensures that sun is up for a majority of the match. In most instances, Tyranitar and Politoed tend to dominate the weather war, as they have decisive stat and typing advantages. However, Ninetales can easily reverse this situation, as a well predicted Sunny Day can intstantly shift the momentum of the match. While this set is, without a doubt, the best option for weather wars, it is a liability against opposing sun and non-weather teams. However, the possibility of turning the tides of a weather war makes this risk well worth it.</p>

<p>Because this set is so effective at maintaining weather control, Fire Blast is an appealing option to deal massive damage. If Fire Blast's accuracy issues are unappealing, Flamethrower can be used instead. Will-O-Wisp is the preferred move in the last slot, as it can cripple powerful physical attackers that would otherwise threaten it. This is especially important for dealing with Choice Scarf Tyranitar, who doesn't mind sandstorm being negated and can play mind games with Ninetales with Stone Edge and Pursuit. If Ninetales can hand Choice Scarf Tyranitar a burn on the switch-in, it can safely switch out without taking too much damage from Pursuit. Ninetales's Will-O-Wisp also builds up passive damage on opposing weather inducers so Ninetales can go for the inevitable KO with SolarBeam. Similarly, Toxic can be used to wear down opposing weather inducers more quickly, although this leaves Ninetales more vulnerable to Choice Scarf Tyranitar. Finally, Protect can be used to build up Leftovers recovery, as well as scout the opponent's moves. The latter point is especially important when dealing with Choiced variants of Tyranitar.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given Speed EVs allow Ninetales to outspeed all non-Scarfed variants of Politoed and Tyranitar, and proceed to fire off a deadly SolarBeam. A Modest nature and maximum Special Attack investment give Fire Blast, and more importantly, SolarBeam, some much needed power. The HP EVs give Ninetales an HP stat of 319, which is exactly one away from being divisible by 16. Although this means Ninetales misses out on a Leftovers number, it also means Ninetales takes minimum damage from entry hazards, damaging weather, poison, Leech Seed, and maybe even Life Orb recoil. Considering how vulnerable Ninetales is to passive damage, as well as how important Ninetales is to a sun team, one must take as many precautions as possible to minimize passive damage. The remaining EVs are dumped into Special Defense, so Ninetales has an easier time taking sun nerfed water attacks. Alternatively, a Specially Defensive spread, with 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD EVs and a Calm nature, can be used for maximum special bulk. Unfortunately, the power of SolarBeam, which is the main draw of this set, is significantly gimped.</p>

<p>Leftovers is the preferred item to give Ninetales maximal survivability; because this set is so effective for weather wars, it would be in one's best interest to keep Ninetales alive. However, the HP stat is also perfect for using a Life Orb. 319 is exactly one away from being divisible by 10, meaning Ninetales also takes minimum Life Orb recoil. Life Orb allows Ninetales to KO more healthy Tyranitar or Politoed, although Ninetales's lifespan is greatly shortened.</p>

<p>Heat Rock can be used to increase the length of Sunny Day. However, this is inadvisable and inefficient. The main point of Sunny Day is to force out the opposing weather inducer, as it really is a one-turn utility move. Ninetales can simply get up permanent sun later by switching in, and the loss of Leftovers or Life Orb normally isn't worth the 3 extra turns of sun. Alternatively, a ChestoRest set can be used with Rest filling the last moveslot. Rest, in conjunction with Chesto Berry, gives Ninetales a one-time recovery from all damage and status. However, losing out on a useful support move, such as Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, or Protect could hurt in the long run. If Sunny Day Ninetales has significant entry hazard support, Roar can be used in the last slot to phaze out troublesome switch-ins, such as Tyranitar and Heatran. However, Sunny Day is generally enough to serve as a pphazing move. In most cases, Ninetales will only be concerned with weather inducer switch-ins, and because Roar cannot cancel out the weather change, it is usually an inferior option. Hidden Power Ground can be used to hit Heatran, whereas Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit Dragons, since both wall standard Sunny Day Ninetales cold. Unfortunately, Ninetales would miss out on some very useful support moves.</p>

<p>Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce support is an absolute necessity to alleviate Ninetales's vulnerability to all forms of entry hazards, especially its Stealth Rock weakness. Rapid Spin support is preferred, as Magic Bounce is largely dependent on prediction. Wish support is also highly recommended to ensure Ninetales doesn't eventually succumb to entry hazard or status damage. If opting to run a Life Orb, Wish support is not optional. Ninetales gets worn down very quickly due to Life Orb recoil and a lack of recovery, which could jeopardize its ability to win a weather war. Xatu, while uncommon, is an excellent teammate for the sunlight Kyuubi. It is immune to Ground-type attacks aimed at Ninetales, and can provide both Wish and Magic Bounce support. Latias and Jirachi are also excellent options, since both provide useful Wish support; the former can temporarily check rain teams should one fail to predict a Politoed switch-in, while the latter can take Rock-type moves aimed at Ninetales and other common sun abusers. Be aware that Jirachi will easily fall to a sun-boosted Fire-type move, so you may want Flash Fire support as well.</p>

<p>As alluded to earlier, Ninetales greatly appreciates entry hazard support, especially Spikes. This helps wear down opposing weather summoners until Ninetales can go for the KO with SolarBeam. Toxic Spikes support is useful for the same reason, and can potentially open up a moveslot for Protect, Rest, Roar, or a coverage move. The game's premier hazard master, Forretress, is an especially great teammate; it can utilize every entry hazard in the game, as well as Rapid Spin. Unlike most Steel-types, Forretress doesn't mind the sunlight, as it was never going to survive a Fire move anyways. Rock and Ground resists are also helpful. Both Claydol and Donphan can provide Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin support, as well as a plethora of useful resistances. Finally, a cleric can prove useful for healing status effects, especially if Ninetales is running ChestoRest. The pink blob duo, Chansey and Blissey, can either act as clerics or pass massive Wishes, while at the same time, checking Pokemon that threaten Ninetales, such as Latias and Latios. Chansey, Blissey, Heatran, and Chandelure all wall this set all day long. Choice Scarf Tyranitar can also prove problematic, as it can OHKO Ninetales with Stone Edge before Ninetales can respond with SolarBeam. Dugtrio, while somewhat redundant due to the Ninetales's ability to single-handedly win a weather war, can trap and eliminate all the aforementioned threats.</p>

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can you post logs? Knowing you around the DST forums, you're the kind of guy who know what he's doing, but I'm not entirely sure what business Ninetales has using Sunny Day in front of Pokemon that have super effective moves against it. Sure, Protect / Will-O-Wisp remedies this, but I think ScarfToed's still a problem. Some part of me is saying this is a one-trick pony.

Again, post logs. I, and most likely a few others, are ambiguous.

P.S. Unbold the set titles.

This is other options material and a good surprise. But this set isn't really good or different enough to be a staple Ninetales set. You have to PREDICT a Tyranitar / Politoed switch-in for it to work and that still does not rule out Scarf Tyranitar / Scarf Toed or Specs Toad if you mispredict.

Hmm, interesting. I have faced this in battle a few times and it is pretty good. Is it worth en entirely new set? Honestly I think it should just get an AC mention on the speciall defensive set, perhaps even a slash on the last moveslot.

Although it seems like you are pushing for a more offensive set, perhaps you could make this an offensive ninetails set with sunny day in the last slot? The current offensive set is a bit outdated, could this be an update? Either way, sunny day shouln't be the main focus of the set.

I have been using this set for all my Sun teams so far, and it works great! This set is pretty much like the Nasty Plot set on-site by luring in weather inducers and IMO this set is just that much better since it can beat Scarf variants, unlike the Nasty Plot set. Hence, if the Nasty Plot set deserves to be on-site, I agree this should be on site.

it doesn't seem like this accomplishes much. I get that you use sunny day on the switch (which in itself has like a 50% chance to fail) and then switch out, but you don't really beat Tyranitar. Seems like this is use mid-late game so Ninetales is going to have taken at least like 25% or more with rocks and whatnot, then a switch is pretty predictable from ttars standpoint so it can use pursuit and dish out damage which I'm guessing is around 50% and so with rocks you can't switch in anymore and only have 4 turns of sunlight for the rest of the battle.

And don't give me none of that rapid spin nonsense since this set is designed to have hazard support so I'm assuming the opponent can at least have rocks or get some damage on you by the time Ninetales gets in.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I use a set alot like this on one of my sun teams. Although i invest more heavily in bulk(EVs: 252 HP / 96 SDef / 160 Spd). typical scenario:

they lead wit politoed i lead wit ninetales
rain is up
i sunny day and they scald/ hydro pump and do about 20% and 46% respectively and with lefties a scald can b healed off pretty easily

honestly this set is great and i love to use it, lets ur sun team work so much better

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This set is deceptively great, you can't hurt Tyranitar or defensive Politoeds that hard anyways, Sunny Day forces them to switch. I see this all the time on the ladder, it's definitely a viable competitive option.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I love this set, and would recommend making WoW a main option if possible over protect. I usually wow first to hurt the tar / toed switch ins, switch out to determine if choiced, and then the next time switch back in and probably ko with solarbeam with burn damage + hazards + residual damage piling up.

Ignoring the nonsense that happened in this thread...this is actually a really good set. Sunny Day on Ninetales is a great idea and consistently viable enough to be a main option set.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sunny Day ninetales is amazing. Like really amazing. I've used it to great success myself and it should totally be on-site

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah this set is great, much better then the Special Attacker and NP sets curently on site imo (although they play a bit differently). This set can get you easy weather war wins against Politoed if you have any kind of hazard support. Tyranitar is a bit tricky, but one you burn it it's not a problem. The drop of Scarftoeds (Exca ban) makes this set even more viable. Maybe it's worth a mention that leading agaisnt Politoed is useful to see of it's Scarfed or not.

What does Life Orb do for this set? Is it getting any key KOs? While testing this I found Leftovers to be much more effective since you'll have to take hits from Politoed and since you're stopping sandstorms residual damage you can heal up a lot easier. Also, maybe an alternate spread of 128 HP / 252 SpA / 92 SpD / 36 Spe could be used if you don't fear Timid Specs Politoed. It still outspeeds all other weather inducers, but with a bit more bulk.

Edit: you should probably mention that without Roar this set is set up fodder for Sub-CM Latias, CM Reuiclus and Chestorest Volcarona.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I personally use Leftovers over Life Orb most of the time. However, Life Orb does allow Ninetails to go for the killing blow against Tyranitar and Politoed a lot earlier. Maybe I should put this as alternative options and add a blurb that Life Orb should never be used without Wish support.

Rest and chesto berry can be an option on the last slot, its just a filler anyways and it will keep ninetales healthy for a second shot if needed. (Wow is pretty much obrigatory though ;s).

And this set is amazing.

edit: nvm didint saw it on ac lol

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
I approve (1/3)
At the very least mention Hidden Power Ground in the AC for Heatran, it's probably better than Protect tbh

Amateur gp check additions in bold omissions in italics
[SET]
name: Sunny Day
move 1: Sunny Day
move 2: Fire Blast/ Flamethrower
move 3: SolarBeam
move 4: Will-o-Wisp/ Toxic/ Protect
item: Leftovers/ Life Orb
evs: 128 HP/ 252 SpA/ 20 SpD/ 108 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>At first glance, Sunny Day on Drought Ninetales seems completely redundant. I mean, why would you use Sunny Day on a Pokemon that can already summon permanent sun sunlight just by switching in? What appears to be a useless gimmick on the surface actually conceals one of the greatest innovations in BW OU history. For this simple, yet deceptive move can turn the tides of a weather war.</p>

- While Sunny Day+Drought seems gimmicky, Ninetales can use it to make the opponent's attempt to change weather irrelevant
- Tailor made to win weather wars without resorting to Dugtrio
- Ninetales normally has no business staying in against Politoed/ Tyranitar, but by using Sunny Day on the switchspace in here (I can't bold a space.)in, it can force them out while keeping sun up
- Can be used to pseudo phaze opposing weather inducers, great when used in conjunction with hazards
- Ensures that SolarBeam retains its power and has no chargeup to hit Politoed/ Tyranitar/ Hippowdon
- Has more offensive presence than most Ninetales sets, but isn't frail either
- Most sun abusers NEED sun to function, and this set ensures that sun is up as often as possible
- Nearly half of all teams run sand or rain, so Sunny Day is not situational, but rather a great anti-metagame move
- Speed EVs allow Ninetales to outspeed all non Scarf Politoed/ Tyranitar to fire off SolarBeam
- Special Attack EVs for maximum power
- HP EVs give Ninetales 319 HpP, this is exactly 1 HP away from being divisible by 16,which means it takes minimum damage from entry hazards/ status/ weather/ l Leech sSeed
- Remaining EVs dumped into Special Defense
- Leftovers is the preferred item to give Ninetales maximum survivability
- HP also perfect for using Life Orb, as this is exactly 1 HP away from being divisible by 10, meaning which means Ninetales takes minimum LO recoil
- Sunny Day is the crux of the set, allowing Ninetails to nullify the opponent`s attempt to change the weather and ensure SolarBeam takes no charge up. Forcinges opposing weather inducers out
- Fire Blast for maximum power, although Flamethrower is an option for better accuracy but with lower power
- SolarBeam to KO a weakened Tyranitar/ Politoed if Ninetales managed to use Sunny Day on the switchin
- Will-o-Wisp/ Toxic also viable for spreading status, especially against Ttar and Politoed, and helps rack up the passive damage. Protect is a viable option to scout for super effective moves and whoring HP recovery if running Leftovers

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

- Chesto Berry can be used with Rest filling the last slot
- Roar can be used in last slot if running a lot of entry hazard support
- HP Ground can be used to hit Heatran
- While this set is without a doubt the best option for weather wars, is a liability against opposing sun teams and non-weather, risk vs reward
- Rapid Spin/ Magic Bounce support is pretty much a must to alleviate Ninetales Stealth Rock weakness/ vulnerability to Spikes/ Toxic Spikes
- Wish support to ensure Ninetales doesn't fall to status/ hazards. If running Life Orb, Wish is a must. Latias and Jirachi are great options because they can take water/ ground/ rock moves aimed at Ninetales. Xatu is especially great for Wish+Magic Bounce support
- Ninetales appreciates entry hazard support, especially Spikes and Toxic Spikes, to beat down Tyranitar/ Politoed throughout the course of a match, and eventually finish them off with SolarBeam. Forretress is especially great for hazards+Rapid Spin support
- Rock and Ground resists are helpful. Donphan can provide the Rock resist as well as Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock support
-A cleric can be used to heal status effects, and if Ninetales is running Cchestorest, can be used to wake it up
- Ninetales wants as many sun abusers as possible (obviously)
- Chansey/ Blissey can take its hits all day long
- Heatran/ Chandelure wall this set to kingdom come
- Dragons get free setup bar Will-o-Wisp/ Toxic
- Dugtrio can trap and OHKO

Edit: I'm a little confused over this issue: Is 'sun' right or should we use 'sunlight','intense sunlight' or 'drought'.
Edit 2:How does Jirachi take ground attacks if you mean we should use Air Balloon I think you should specifically mention that. Maybe you should mention what HP range Politoed or Tyranitar should be in to finish them off.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Heh. Nice to see someone who isn't afraid of writing more than they need to.

Remember that you can't nickname your own sets though. So it should be "Sunny Day", not "Sunlight Kyuubi"

Oh and get rid of "one of the greatest innovations in BW OU history" - nothing wrong with it but there's patting yourself on the back and then there's taking the cake...

QC Check: Delta 2777, PK Gaming, Seven Deadly Sins

[SET]
name: Sunlight Kyuubi
move 2: Solarbeam

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>At first glance, Sunny Day on Drought Ninetales seems completely redundant. I mean, why would you use Sunny Day on a Pokemon that can already summon permanent sunlight just by switching in? What appears to be a useless gimmick on the surface actually conceals one of the greatest innovations in BW OU history. For this simple, yet deceptive move can turn the tides of a weather war. While Ninetales normally has no business staying in on Tyranitar or Politoed, a well timed Sunny Day can actually force them out!(I don't see the need for an exclamation point). Not only is the opponent's attempt to change the weather negated, but Solarbeam no longer has a charge-up period. Should the opponent be foolish enough to keep their weather inducer in, their cold blooded creature will be instantly vaporized by a super effective SolarBeam. With sufficient entry hazard support, Ninetales can back the opposing weather inducer into a no-win situation. Either stay in and eat a SolarBeam, or switch out and take massive damage. With status, Stealth Rock, and Spikes damage racking up, the Ninetales user could easily win a weather war without invoking specialized Pokemon such as Dugtrio. Sunlight Kyuubi, or Sunny Day Ninetales, is without a doubt a huge asset to any sun team.</p>

<p>Sunlight Kyuubi has more offensive presence than the standard Defensive variant, but isn't a ticking time bomb like the Nasty Plot variant either. This goes a long way when engaged in a weather war. Moreover, many sun sweepers such as Venusaur and Sawsbuck absolutely need sun to function, and Sunny Day Ninetales ensures that sun is up for a majority of the match. In most instances, Tyranitar and Politoed tend to dominate the weather war, as they have a decisive stat and typing advantages. However, Ninetales can easily reverse this situation, as a well predicted Sunny Day can easily shift the momentum of the match. While(this) set is without a doubt the best option for weather wars, it is a liability against opposing sun and non-weather teams. However, the possibility of turning the tides of a weather war makes this risk well worth it.</p>

<p>Sunny Day is, of course, the crux of this set(, as) it allows Ninetales to nullify the opposing weather summoner's attempt to change the weather. As mentioned before, Ninetales can back the opponent into a corner with well timed Sunny Day. Should they keep their weather inducer in, they risk eating a super effective SolarBeam, but if they opt to switch out, they risk entry hazard damage building up. SolarBeam fits Sunlight Kyuubi like a Remoraid fits a Mantine. SolarBeam hits every weather inducer bar Abomasnow, who gets dispatched by a Fire STAB anyways, for super effective damage. Sunny Day also ensures that SolarBeam takes no charge up, and as long as the opposing weather inducer is sufficiently weakened, Ninetales can proceed to KO and win the weather war. SolarBeam also allows Ninetales to dispose of bulky waters, who wall the standard set.</p>

<p>Because this set is so effective at maintaining weather control, Fire Blast is an appealing option to deal massive damage. If Fire Blast's accuracy issues are unappealing, Flamethrower can be used instead. Will-o-Wisp is the preferred move in the last slot, as it can cripple powerful physical attackers that would otherwise threaten it. This is especially imporant for dealing with Choice Scarf Tyranitar, who doesn't mind sandstorm being negated, and can play mindgames with Ninetales between Stone Edge and Pursuit. If Ninetales can hand Choice Scarf Tyranitar a burn on the switch-in, it can safely switch out without taking too much damage from Pursuit. Ninetales Will-O-Wisp also builds up passive damage on opposing weather inducers so Ninetales can go for the inevitable KO with Solarbeam. Similarly, Toxic can be used to wear down opposing weather inducers more quickly, although this may leave Ninetales vulnerable to Choice Scarf Tyranitar. Finally, Protect can be used to build up Leftovers recovery, as well as scout the opponent's moves. The latter point is especially important when dealing with Choiced variants of Tyranitar.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given Speed EVs allow Ninetales to outspeed all non-Scarfed variants of Politoed and Tyranitar, and proceed to fire off a deadly Solarbeam. A Modest nature and maximum Special Attack investment give Fire Blast, and more importantly, SolarBeam, some much needed power. The HP EVs give Ninetales an HP stat of 319, which is exactly one away from being divisible by 16. Although this means Ninetales misses out on a Leftovers number, it also means Ninetales takes minimum damage from entry hazards, damaging weather, Poison, Leech Seed, and maybe even Life Orb recoil. Considering how vulnerable Ninetales is to passive damage, as well as how important Ninetales is to a sun team, one must take as many precautions as possible to minimize passive damage. The remaining EVs are dumped into Special Defense, so Ninetales has an easier time taking sun nerfed water attacks. Alternatively, a Specially Defensive spread, with 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def EVs and a Calm nature, can be used for maximum Special bulk. Unfortunately, the power of Solarbeam, which is the main draw of this set, is significantly gimped.</p>

<p>Leftovers is the preferred item to give Ninetales maximal survivability; because this set is so effective for weather wars, it would be in one's best interest to keep Ninetales alive. However, the HP stat is also perfect for using a Life Orb. 319 is exactly one away from being divisible by 10, meaning Ninetales also takes minimum Life Orb recoil. Life Orb allows Ninetales to KO more healthy Tyranitar or Politoed, although Ninetales's lifespan is greatly shortened.</p>

<p>Heat Rock can be used to increase the length of Sunny Day. However, this is inadviseable and inefficient. The main point of Sunny Day is to force out the opposing weather inducer, as it really is a one-turn utility move. Ninetales can simply get up permanent sun later by switching in, and the loss of Leftovers or Life Orb normally isn't worth the 3 extra turns of sun. Alternatively, a ChestoRest set can be used with Rest filling the last moveslot. Rest, in conjunction with Chesto Berry, gives Ninetales a one time recovery from all damage and status. However, losing out on useful moves, such as Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, and Protect could hurt in the long run. If Sunlight Kyuubi has significant entry hazard support, Roar can be used in the last slot to phaze out troublesome switch-ins, such as Tyranitar and Heatran. However, Sunny Day is generally enough as a pseudo-phazing move. In most cases, Ninetales will only be concerned with weather inducer switch-ins, and because Roar cannot cancel out the weather change, it is usually an inferior option. Hidden Power Ground can be used to hit Heatran, whereas Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit Dragons, both which wall standard Sunlight Kyuubi cold. Unfortunately, Ninetales misses out on some very useful support moves.</p>

<p>Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce support is an absolute necessity to alleviate Ninetales's vulnerability to all forms of entry hazards, especially its Stealth Rock weakness. Rapid Spin support is preferred, as Magic Bounce is largely dependent on prediction. Wish support is also highly recommended to ensure Ninetales doesn't eventually succumb to entry hazard or status damage. If opting to run a Life Orb, Wish support is not optional. Ninetales gets worn down very quickly due to Life Orb recoil and a lack of recovery, which could jeopardize its ability to win a weather war. Xatu, while uncommon, is an excellent teammate for Sunlight Kyuubi. It is immune to Ground-type attacks aimed at Ninetales, and can provide both Wish and Magic Bounce support. Latias and Jirachi are also excellent options, both provide useful Wish support; the former can temporarily check rain teams should one fail to predict a Politoed switch-in, while the latter can take Rock type moves aimed at Ninetales and other common sun abusers. Be aware that Jirachi will easily fall to a sun boosted fire move, so you may want Flash Fire support as well.</p>

<p>As alluded to earlier, Ninetales greatly appreciates entry hazard support, especially Spikes. This helps wear down opposing weather summoners until Ninetales can go for the KO with SolarBeam. Toxic Spikes support is useful for the same reason, and can potentially open up a moveslot for Protect, Rest, Roar, or a coverage move. The game's premier hazard master, Forretress, is an especialy great teammate; it can utilize every entry hazard in the game, as well as Rapid Spin. Unlike most Steel-types, Forretress doesn't mind the sunlight, as it was never going to survive a Fire move anyways. Rock and Ground resists are also helpful. Both Claydol and Donphan can provide Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin support, as well as a plethora of useful resistances. Finally, a cleric can prove useful for healing status effects, especially if Ninetales is running ChestoRest. The pink blob duo, Chansey and Blissey, can either act as clerics or pass massive Wishes, while at the same time, checking Pokemon that threaten Ninetales, such as Latias and Latios. Chansey, Blissey, Heatran, and Chandelure all wall this set all day long. Choice Scarf Tyranitar can also prove problematic, as it can OHKO Ninetales with Stone Edge before Ninetales can respond with Solarbeam. Dugtrio, while somewhat redundant due to Sunlight Kyuubi's ability to single-handedly win a weather war, can trap and eliminate all the aforementioned threats.</p>
The writing is excellent. I only caught a few mistakes but there could be more because this was an incredibly large analysis. You can make the changes if you please, but I'm not actually on the GP team.

HOLY CRAP NWO

anyways placeholder for GP

WOW COMMATHEW D:

k fine this will be 2/2 after NWO implements it

Add
Remove
Comment

[SET]
name: Sunny Day 'Tales Ninetales (flavor, up to you)

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>At first glance, Sunny Day on Drought Ninetales seems completely redundant. I mean, why would you use Sunny Day on a Pokemon that can already summon permanent sunlight just by switching in? What appears to be a useless gimmick on the surface actually conceals an innovation that shook up the metagame,. (add comma, remove period) for this simple, yet deceptive move, (add comma) can turn the tides of a weather war. While Ninetales normally has no business staying in on either Tyranitar or Politoed, a well-timed Sunny Day can actually force them out! Not only is the opponent's attempt to change the weather negated, but Solarbeam no longer has a charge-up period. Should the opponent be foolish enough to keep their weather inducer in, their cold-blooded creature will be instantly vaporized by a super effective SolarBeam. With sufficient entry hazard support, Ninetales can back the opposing weather inducer into a tight corner no-win situation (subjective, but it sounds better this way imo). Either stay in and eat a SolarBeam, or switch out and take massive damage. With status, Stealth Rock, and Spikes damage racking up, the Ninetales user could easily win the a weather war without invoking specialized Pokemon such as Dugtrio. Sunny Day Ninetales is, (add comma) without a doubt, (add comma) a huge asset to any sun team.</p>

<p>Sunny Day Ninetales has more offensive presence than the standard Defensive variant, but isn't a ticking time bomb like the Nasty Plot variant either. This goes a long way when engaged in a weather war. Moreover, many sun sweepers such as Venusaur and Sawsbuck absolutely need sun to function, and Sunny Day Ninetales ensures that sun is up for a majority of the match. In most instances, Tyranitar and Politoed tend to dominate the weather war, as they have decisive stat and typing advantages. However, Ninetales can easily reverse this situation, as a well predicted Sunny Day can instantly easily (you already said easily in this sentence) shift the momentum of the match. While this set is, (add comma) without a doubt, (add comma) the best option for weather wars, it is a liability against opposing sun and non-weather teams. However, the possibility of turning the tides of a weather war makes this risk well worth it.</p>

<p>Sunny Day is, of course, the crux of this set—it allows Ninetales to nullify the opposing weather summoner's attempt to change the weather. As mentioned before, Ninetales can back the opponent into a corner with a well-timed Sunny Day. Should they keep their weather inducer in, they risk eating a super effective SolarBeam, but if they opt to switch out, they risk entry hazard damage building up (kinda redundant...). SolarBeam fits Sunny Day Ninetales like a Remoraid fits a Mantine. SolarBeam hits every weather inducer for super effective damage bar Abomasnow, who is gets dispatched by Fire Blast or Flamethrower anyways. Sunny Day also ensures that SolarBeam doesn't need the takes no charge-up turn (add hyphen), and as long as the opposing weather inducer is sufficiently weakened, Ninetales can proceed to KO and win the weather war. SolarBeam also allows Ninetales to dispose of bulky Water-types, who wall the standard set.</p>

<p>Because this set is so effective at maintaining weather control, Fire Blast is an appealing option to deal massive damage. If Fire Blast's accuracy issues are unappealing, Flamethrower can be used instead. Will-O-Wisp is the preferred move in the last slot, as it can cripple powerful physical attackers that would otherwise threaten it. This is especially important for dealing with Choice Scarf Tyranitar, who doesn't mind sandstorm being negated and can play mind games with Ninetales by using with Stone Edge and Pursuit. If Ninetales can hand Choice Scarf Tyranitar a burn on the switch-in, it can safely switch out without taking too much damage from Pursuit. Ninetales's Will-O-Wisp also builds up passive damage on opposing weather inducers so Ninetales can go for the inevitable KO with Solarbeam. Similarly, Toxic can be used to wear down opposing weather inducers more quickly, although this may leaves Ninetales more vulnerable to Choice Scarf Tyranitar. Finally, Protect can be used to build up Leftovers recovery, as well as scout the opponent's moves. The latter point is especially important when dealing with Choiced variants of Tyranitar.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given Speed EVs allow Ninetales to outspeed all non-Scarfed variants of Politoed and Tyranitar, and proceed to fire off a deadly Solarbeam. A Modest nature and maximum Special Attack investment give Fire Blast, and more importantly, SolarBeam, some much needed power. The HP EVs give Ninetales an HP stat of 319, which is exactly one away from being divisible by 16. Although this means Ninetales misses out on a Leftovers number, it also means Ninetales takes minimum damage from entry hazards, damaging weather, Poison, Leech Seed, and maybe even Life Orb recoil. Considering how vulnerable Ninetales is to passive damage, as well as how important Ninetales is to a sun team, one must take as many precautions as possible to minimize passive damage. The remaining EVs are dumped into Special Defense, so Ninetales has an easier time taking sun nerfed water attacks. Alternatively, a Specially Defensive spread, with 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def EVs and a Calm nature, can be used for maximum special bulk. Unfortunately, the power of Solarbeam, which is the main draw of this set, is significantly gimped.</p>

<p>Heat Rock can be used to increase the length of Sunny Day. However, this is inadvisable and inefficient. The main point of Sunny Day is to force out the opposing weather inducer, as it really is a one-turn utility move. Ninetales can simply get up permanent sun later by switching in, and the loss of Leftovers or Life Orb normally isn't worth the 3 extra turns of sun. Alternatively, a ChestoRest set can be used with Rest filling the last moveslot. Rest, in conjunction with Chesto Berry, gives Ninetales a one-time recovery from all damage and status. However, losing out on a useful support move, such as Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, or Protect could hurt in the long run. If Sunny Day Ninetales has significant entry hazard support, Roar can be used in the last slot to phaze out troublesome switch-ins, such as Tyranitar and Heatran. However, Sunny Day is generally enough to serve as a pseudo-phazing move. In most cases, Ninetales will only be concerned with weather inducer switch-ins, and because Roar cannot cancel out the weather change, it is usually an inferior option. Hidden Power Ground can be used to hit Heatran, whereas Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit Dragons, since both wall standard Sunny Day Ninetales cold. Unfortunately, Ninetales would miss out on some very useful support moves.</p>

<p>Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce support is an absolute necessity to alleviate Ninetales's vulnerability to all forms of entry hazards, especially its Stealth Rock weakness. Rapid Spin support is preferred, as Magic Bounce is largely dependent on prediction. Wish support is also highly recommended to ensure Ninetales doesn't eventually succumb early to entry hazard or status damage. If opting to run a Life Orb, Wish support is not optional. Ninetales gets worn down very quickly due to Life Orb recoil and a lack of recovery, which could jeopardize its ability to win a weather war. Xatu, while uncommon, is an excellent teammate for the sunlight Kyuubi. It is immune to Ground-type attacks aimed at Ninetales, and can provide both Wish and Magic Bounce support. Latias and Jirachi are also excellent options, since both provide useful Wish support; the former can temporarily check rain teams should one fail to predict a Politoed switch-in, while the latter can take Rock-type moves aimed at Ninetales and other common sun abusers. Be aware that Jirachi will easily fall to a sun boosted Fire-type move, so you may want Flash Fire support as well.</p>

<p>As alluded to earlier, Ninetales greatly appreciates entry hazard support, especially Spikes. This helps wear down opposing weather summoners until Ninetales can go for the KO with SolarBeam. Toxic Spikes support is useful for the same reason, and can potentially open up a moveslot for Protect, Rest, Roar, or a coverage move. The game's premier hazard master, Forretress, is an especially great teammate; it can utilize every entry hazard in the game, as well as Rapid Spin. Unlike most Steel-types, Forretress doesn't mind the sunlight, as it won't ever was never going to survive a Fire-type move anyways. Rock and Ground resists are also helpful. Both Claydol and Donphan can provide Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin support, as well as a plethora of useful resistances. Finally, a cleric can prove useful for healing status effects, especially if Ninetales is running ChestoRest. The pink blob duo, Chansey and Blissey, can either act as clerics or pass massive Wishes, while at the same time, checking Pokemon that threaten Ninetales, such as Latias and Latios. Chansey, Blissey, Heatran, and Chandelure all wall this set all day long. Choice Scarf Tyranitar can also prove problematic, as it can OHKO Ninetales with Stone Edge before Ninetales can respond with Solarbeam. Dugtrio, while somewhat redundant due to the Ninetales's ability to single-handedly win a weather war, can trap and eliminate all the aforementioned threats.</p>

Excellent job.

GP 2/2

EDIT: WHOOPS DID NOT SEE OMICRON'S POST!!!

Additions
Deletions
Comments

[SET]
name: Sunlight Kyuubi

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>At first glance, Sunny Day on Drought Ninetales seems completely redundant. I mean, why would you use Sunny Day on a Pokemon that can already summon permanent sunlight just by switching in? What appears to be a useless gimmick on the surface actually conceals one of the greatest innovations in BW OU history, for . For this simple, yet deceptive move can turn the tides of a weather war. While Ninetales normally has no business staying in on Tyranitar or Politoed, a well timed Sunny Day can actually force them out! Not only is the opponent's attempt to change the weather negated, but Solarbeam no longer has a charge-up period. Should the opponent be foolish enough to keep their weather inducer in, their cold-(hyphen)blooded creature will be instantly vaporized by a super effective SolarBeam. With sufficient entry hazard support, Ninetales can back the opposing weather inducer into a no-win situation. Either stay in and eat a SolarBeam, or switch out and take massive damage. With status, Stealth Rock, and Spikes damage racking up, the Ninetales user could easily win a weather war without invoking specialized Pokemon such as Dugtrio. Sunlight Kyuubi, or Sunny Day Ninetales, is without a doubt a huge asset to any sun team.</p>

<p>Sunlight Kyuubi has more offensive presence than the standard Defensive variant, but isn't a ticking time bomb like the Nasty Plot variant either. This goes a long way when engaged in a weather war. Moreover, many sun sweepers such as Venusaur and Sawsbuck absolutely need sun to function, and Sunny Day Ninetales ensures that sun is up for a majority of the match. In most instances, Tyranitar and Politoed tend to dominate the weather war, as they have a decisive stat and typing advantages. However, Ninetales can easily reverse this situation, as a well predicted Sunny Day can easily shift the momentum of the match. While this set is without a doubt the best option for weather wars, it is a liability against opposing sun and non-weather teams. However, the possibility of turning the tides of a weather war makes this risk well worth it.</p>

<p>Sunny Day is, of course, the crux of this set ; it allows Ninetales to nullify the opposing weather summoner's attempt to change the weather. As mentioned before, Ninetales can back the opponent into a corner with a well-timed well timed Sunny Day. Should they keep their weather inducer in, they risk eating a super effective SolarBeam, but if they opt to switch out, they risk entry hazard damage building up. SolarBeam fits Sunlight Kyuubi like a Remoraid fits a Mantine. SolarBeam hits every weather inducer bar Abomasnow, who gets dispatched by Fire Blast or Flamethrower a Fire STAB anyways, for supereffective damage. Sunny Day also ensures that SolarBeam takes no charge up, and as long as the opposing weather inducer is sufficiently weakened, Ninetales can proceed to KO and win the weather war. SolarBeam also allows Ninetales to dispose of bulky waters, who wall the standard set.</p>

<p>Because this set is so effective at maintaining weather control, Fire Blast is an appealing option to deal massive damage. If Fire Blast's accuracy issues are unappealing, Flamethrower can be used instead. Will-O-Wisp is the preferred move in the last slot, as it can cripple powerful physical attackers that would otherwise threaten it. This is especially imporant for dealing with Choice Scarf Tyranitar, who doesn't mind sandstorm being negated, and can play mind (space) games with Ninetales with between Stone Edge and Pursuit. If Ninetales can hand Choice Scarf Tyranitar a burn on the switch-in, it can safely switch out without taking too much damage from Pursuit. Ninetales' (apostrophe) Will-O-Wisp also builds up passive damage on opposing weather inducers so Ninetales can go for the inevitable KO with Solarbeam. Similarly, Toxic can be used to wear down opposing weather inducers more quickly, although this may leave Ninetales vulnerable to Choice Scarf Tyranitar. Finally, Protect can be used to build up Leftovers recovery, as well as scout the opponent's moves. The latter point is especially important when dealing with Choiced variants of Tyranitar.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given Speed EVs allow Ninetales to outspeed all non-Scarfed variants of Politoed and Tyranitar, and proceed to fire off a deadly Solarbeam. A Modest nature and maximum Special Attack investment give Fire Blast, and more importantly, SolarBeam, some much needed power. The HP EVs give Ninetales an HP stat of 319, which is exactly one away from being divisible by 16. Although this means Ninetales misses out on a Leftovers number, it also means Ninetales takes minimum damage from entry hazards, damaging weather, Poison, Leech Seed, and maybe even Life Orb recoil. Considering how vulnerable Ninetales is to passive damage, as well as how important Ninetales is to a sun team, one must take as many precautions as possible to minimize passive damage. The remaining EVs are dumped into Special Defense, so Ninetales has an easier time taking sun-nerfed Water-type water attacks. Alternatively, a Specially Defensive spread, with 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def EVs and a Calm nature, can be used for maximum specialbulk. Unfortunately, the power of Solarbeam, which is the main draw of this set, is significantly gimped.</p>

<p>Leftovers is the preferred item to give Ninetales maximal survivability; because this set is so effective for weather wars, it would be in one's best interest to keep Ninetales alive. However, the HP stat is also perfect for using a Life Orb. 319 is exactly one away from being divisible by 10, meaning Ninetales also takes minimum Life Orb recoil. Life Orb allows Ninetales to KO more healthy Tyranitar and or Politoed, although Ninetales's lifespan is greatly shortened.</p>

<p>Heat Rock can be used to increase the length of Sunny Day. However, this is inadviseable and inefficient. The main point of Sunny Day is to force out the opposing weather inducer, as it really is a one-turn utility move. Ninetales can simply get up permanent sun later by switching in, and the loss of Leftovers or Life Orb normally isn't worth the 3 extra turns of sun. Alternatively, a ChestoRest set can be used with Rest filling the last moveslot. Rest, in conjunction with Chesto Berry, gives Ninetales a one-time recovery from all damage and status. However, losing out on a useful move, such as Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, or and Protect could hurt in the long run. If Sunlight Kyuubi has significant entry hazard support, Roar can be used in the last slot to phaze out troublesome switch-ins, such as Tyranitar and Heatran. However, Sunny Day is generally enough as a pseudo-phazing move. In most cases, Ninetales will only be concerned with weather inducer switch-ins, and because Roar cannot cancel out the weather change, it is usually an inferior option. Hidden Power Ground can be used to hit Heatran, whereas Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit Dragons, since both which wall the standard Sunlight Kyuubi cold. Unfortunately, Ninetales would miss misses out on some very useful support moves.</p>

<p>Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce support is an absolute necessity to alleviate Ninetales's vulnerability to all forms of entry hazards, especially its Stealth Rock weakness. Rapid Spin support is preferred, as Magic Bounce is largely dependent on prediction. Wish support is also highly recommended to ensure Ninetales doesn't eventually succumb to entry hazard or status damage. If opting to run a Life Orb, Wish support is not optional. Ninetales gets worn down very quickly due to Life Orb recoil and a lack of recovery, which could jeopardize its ability to win a weather war. Xatu, while uncommon, is an excellent teammate for Sunlight Kyuubi. It is immune to Ground-type attacks aimed at Ninetales, and can provide both Wish and Magic Bounce support. Latias and Jirachi are also excellent options, since both provide useful Wish support; the former can temporarily check rain teams should one fail to predict a Politoed switch-in, while the latter can take Rock-type moves aimed at Ninetales and other common sun abusers. Be aware that Jirachi will easily fall to a sun boosted Fire-type fire move, so you may want Flash Fire support as well.</p>

<p>As alluded to earlier, Ninetales greatly appreciates entry hazard support, especially Spikes. This helps wear down opposing weather summoners until Ninetales can go for the KO with SolarBeam. Toxic Spikes support is useful for the same reason, and can potentially open up a moveslot for Protect, Rest, Roar, or a coverage move. The game's premier hazard master, Forretress, is an especialy great teammate; it can utilize every entry hazard in the game, as well as Rapid Spin. Unlike most Steel-types, Forretress doesn't mind the sunlight, as it was never going to survive a Fire-type move anyways. Rock and Ground resists are also helpful. Both Claydol and Donphan can provide Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin support, as well as a plethora of useful resistances. Finally, a cleric can prove useful for healing status effects, especially if Ninetales is running ChestoRest. The pink blob duo, Chansey and Blissey, can either act as clerics or pass massive Wishes, while at the same time, checking Pokemon that threaten Ninetales, such as Latias and Latios. Chansey, Blissey, Heatran, and Chandelure all wall this set all day long. Choice Scarf Tyranitar can also prove problematic, as it can OHKO Ninetales with Stone Edge before Ninetales can respond with Solarbeam. Dugtrio, while somewhat redundant due to Sunlight Kyuubi's ability to single-handedly win a weather war, can trap and eliminate all the aforementioned threats.</p>

Maybe I just got lazy but you did a good job on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)