[D&D] Philosopher's Stone War II - Game Over! ICB Wins!

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Lightwolf

The city was abandoned. More than half of the combatants had been killed, while others had fled for their life. All that remained was the Norse god Tyr, the Chinese princess Sun Shang Xiang, and the wizards that had summoned them. Four dead handmaidens surround the one armed knight. He had dispatched Sun Shang Xiang's servants, but from a distance her arrows were wearing him down.

Gelu and Yu Ji, Tyr and Sun Shang Xiang's masters respectively, mustered the last magical reserves they could. They both had the same idea; fire. The weakened champions were knocked out, but not dead. Both wizards stopped for a moment to catch their breath. It was only a matter of time before one champion bled to death, ending the tournament. Yu Ji struggled to produce the spark of magic once more, but his reserves had emptied.

Suddenly, Gelu stood up and dashed towards his opponent. He struck the old man right in the face. However, his opponent was not so weak as he had thought. Yu Ji fought back, driving his younger opponent away. The finest competition of magical prowess had now descended to fisticuffs. Punched in the gut, Gelu reeled backwards and tripped over his own champion's leg. As Yu Ji came in to finish him, he picked up Tyr's shield and slammed it across the old wizard's head, knocking him out.

Gelu got up, grabbed a sword from one of the handmaidens, and finished off Sun Shang Xiang. With this he won Philosopher's Stone War and was granted half of the stone by Nicholas Flamel, to be used as he sees fit.

That was 10 years ago.

From all walks of life. From all over the world. But most importantly, hidden. You are a Mage. You have toiled in secret your whole life to master an art and science long forgotten. Amesbury, Wiltshire, England. June, 2021. Flamel." You receive this message, vague to an outsider, but something hundreds of Magi yearn for their whole life. You have been chosen to participate in the ritual to create a new Philosopher's Stone. You know that this is not a bloodless ritual. You will fight seven other Magi, and only one will come out alive. However, the stone grants unlimited wealth and immortality. But for most Magi, the allure is in using the most powerful summoning magic in existence, the summoning of heroic champions.

As I said before, knowledge of pathfinder or the D20 system is not a requirement to play this game. All you need is creative problem solving skills.

Rules said:
The Philosopher's Stone War is a battle royale between eight players, borrowing mechanical rules from the game Pathfinder (links below). If you've played or watched Fate/Stay Night, you know the basic rules already.

- Every player starts the game as a 10th level Wizard.
- Every player gets a heroic champion, from one of eight randomly assigned classes. The player and the DM (me) will design a 20th level character based on this class, using the identify of a figure from history, myth, or select fiction (ie. The Oddysey, Lords of the Rings).
- A player is removed from the game when either his character or his champion are killed.
- Every player has three Order Spells. These are trump cards, which allow their champions to perform impossible feats. These can be vital for saving the player's life, or for securing victory.

This is a game of stealth and intrigue. Game strategy can pan around building defensive structures, discovering the identity (and powers) of the enemy champions, forming tense alliances, and attacking your enemy before they see you coming. Because this is Pathfinder, your options are limited only by your creative problem solving ability.

This is a roleplaying game. Half the fun is roleplaying as badass legendary heroes, accompanied of course by a wizard with whatever personality you wish. You are allowed to talk with other players about the game in character when contact is made. Otherwise, you are not. This is not a balance rule, it’s to immerse you in this isolated and dangerous world where another player could be lurking around the next dark corner, not “a pm away”.

Some flexibility is required in when you can play this game. On some days you can send in a game plan and be unimpeded. But sooner or later, players will meet up and these interactions must be run in real time with the DM as arbiter. These encounters should be swift (average an hour) and ran as soon as possible. An IRC channel will be set up to help the game run smoothly.

As noted, there are 8 Classes of Heroic Champion;

The Knight, a physically defensive martial class. The Knight excels at taking hits, while still able to physically threaten other classes. The Knight specializes in protecting her summoner, lending it to a playstyle where the player is never directly in harms way. The Knight can be literal, but soldier legends with strong discipline or duty can be considered as well.

The Warrior, a physically offensive martial class. The Warrior excels at direct combat above all others. The Warrior specializes in being able to reliably pressure any other heroic champion without fail. The Warrior is an exceptionally versatile class when it comes to choosing a legend, but are generally less honor bound and more brutal than the Knight.

The Cavalier, a physically versatile martial class. The Cavalier is neither specially offensive or defensive, but can fill both roles while bringing more versatility to the table. The Cavalier specializes in mobility, able to easily chase down foes or escape from them. The Cavalier can be any figure with a legendary mount, and in fact a mount is required, but free willed adventurers are also acceptable.

The Archer, a ranged utility class. The Archer prefers to at least mostly battle opponents from a distance. The Archer specializes in perception, allowing them to track down enemies or avoid traps. The Archer can be any legend associated with a bow, but any ranged weapon is also permissible.

The Rogue, a stealth utility class. The Rogue inflicts devastating blows before combat begins, greatly evening the odds in any fight. The Rogue specializes in stealth, allowing them to scout and ambush easily. The Rogue can be any legendary thief, assassin, or trickster.

The Monk, a versatile utility class. The Monk fights in an unpredictable style, reversing opponent's attacks, chaining combos, and using mystical powers. The Monk specializes in awareness, their meditative perception detecting magic throughout the combat zone. The Monk can be any legendary monk or martial artist.

The Sorcerer, an offensive magic class. The Wizard uses arcane magic to devastate her foes. The Sorcerer specializes in the same magic the player does but to a higher degree, allowing for more spell oriented strategy. The Sorcerer can be any mythical wizard or witch, but may also be a legendary scientist or alchemist.

The Shaman, a defensive magic class. The Shaman uses divine magic to heal and survive. The Shaman specializes in outliving her foes and being frustratingly hard to finish off. The Shaman may be any mythical shaman, druid, or priest, but may also be any legendary healer.

Pathfinder Database
Character Creation
WIZARD!
Magic in General
Combat Guide (You don’t need to understand ALL of this, it’s just the mechanics behind what happens when you tell me to have your champion clobber the enemy over the head).

Big note: IRC is super required. Being in the IRC channel on a regular basis means that events can be run super fast if both players involved are in the channel. In fact, when you sign up please hop on over to #Flamel so I can confirm your ability to use IRC.

A spell list and magic, combat, order spell guide will be posted below.

This is an 8 player game.
I welcome players from the last game, but I'd also like some new faces.

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In

Also just because I won the last game I'm not any better than other players, all I won because of was luck a lot of freaking luck:
-My Bard survived his ecounter with 2 health left
-I only survived against Agape and AG because ginga showed up in time to save my ass, I wouldn't even have been able to off Agape if he didn't come
-I managed to avoid battles till late in the game, and even then they were battles without my main party
-People never went for my champ first, and my champ's power protected my mage
-I got lucky picking the best feat in game(Leadership) which is now banned
-My Knight got never pushed back by the Force Field of Agape, due to rolling great

So yeah, I'm not good, just extremly lucky(and a good ally, ALLY WITH ME)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
In the last postgame I said I'd be rebalancing some things and I did. As a result, the feat leadership is banned. I don't think it is broken, but it allows players to circumvent my balance changes and since ever player should probably take Leadership, it would get very annoying for everyone.

Second, I have made my own spell list. It takes spells from the Core Rulebook, Advanced Players Guide, Ultimate Combat, and Ultimate Magic. Compare the following list against the Pathfinder Spell List, and do note that some spells are removed, while others have been nerfed (mentioned under each spell).

Players from the first game may notice no spell founts. These have been removed, as has all mana.

Each Wizard follows one spell school. This gives him one bonus spell from Level 1 to 5 in his spell school, plus some special abilities. However, each Wizard also has two opposition schools. Spells from an opposition school require two spell slots.

Universal is not really a spell type, but has a few general spells. Taking the Universalist spell school gives you the ability to use metamagic to enhance spells even when unprepared, which alone makes it a good spell school. Universalists don't get bonus spells, but don't require opposition schools either and so have the best diversity when it comes to planning spells.

0 - Arcane Mark
0 - Prestidigitation

5 - Permanency
Permanent See Invisible and Invisibility, are banned.

Abjuration is a very single minded school composed of almost entirely defensive abilities, and some of the best ones. Wizards of the Abjuration school resist almost all types of magic damage, Banishment wizards counter summoned creatures, and Counterspell wizards can easily cancel opponent's spells.

0 - Resistance

1 - Adjuring Step
1 - Alarm
1 - Endure Elements
1 - Hold Portal
1 - Peacebond
1 - Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law
1 - Shield
1 - Shock Shield

2 - Arcane Lock
2 - Bullet Shield
2 - Endure Elements, Communal
2 - Miserable Pity
2 - Obscure Object
2 - Protection from Arrows
2 - Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law, Communal
2 - Resist Energy
2 - Warding Weapon

3 - Cloak of Winds
3 - Dispel Magic
50% more likely to work than before.
3 - Explosive Runes
3 - Magic Circle against Chaos/Evil/Good/Law
3 - Nondetection
3 - Protection from Arrows, Communal
3 - Protection from Energy
3 - Resist Energy, Communal

4 - Dimensional Anchor
4 - Fire Trap
4 - Glove of Invulnerability, Lesser
4 - Nondetection, Communal
4 - Protection from Energy, Communal
4 - Remove Curse
4 - Stoneskin
Damage reduction reduced to DR 5/adamantine when used on champion.
4 - True Form

5 - Break Enchantment
5 - Dismissal
5 - Life Bubble
5 - Mage's Private Sanctum
5 - Stoneskin, Communal
5 - Wreath of Blades

Conjuration is best known for summoning monsters and escape spells, with some damage spells and minor control spells. It's also best for players planning on crafting. Conjuration wizards improve summon monster spells, Creation wizards craft with ease, while Teleportation wizards gain extra escape abilities.

0 - Acid Splash

1 - Abundant Ammunition
1 - Air Bubble
1 - Corrosive Touch
1 - Grease
1 - Icicle Dagger
1 - Mage Armor
1 - Mount
1 - Obscuring Mist
1 - Stumble Gap
1 - Summon Minor Monster
1 - Summon Monster I
All Summon Monster spells have been buffed.
1 - Unseen Servant

2 - Acid Arrow
2 - Create Pit
2 - Cushioning Bands
2 - Dust of Twilight
2 - Fiery Shuriken
Each deals 1d4 damage.
2 - Fog Cloud
2 - Glitterdust
2 - Mount, Communal
2 - Reloading Hands
3 - Returning Weapon
2 - Slipstream
2 - Stone Call
2 - Summoner Monster II
2 - Summon Swarm
2 - Web
2 - Web Shelter

3 - Ablative Barrier
3 - Aqueous Orb
3 - Ash Storm
3 - Mad Monkeys
3 - Pellet Blast
5d6 damage.
3 - Phantom Driver
3 - Phantom Steed
3 - Rain of Frogs
3 - Returning Weapon, Communal
3 - Sepia Snake Sygil
3 - Sleet Storm
3 - Spiked Put
3 - Stinking Cloud
3 - Summon Monster III

4 - Acid Pit
4 - Black Tentacles
4 - Dimension Door
4 - Fleshworm Infestation
4 - Minor Creation
4 - Phantom Chariot
4 - Phantom Steed, Communal
4 - Secure Shelter
4 - Solid Fog
4 - Summon Monster IV
4 - Touch of Slime

5 - Acidic Spray
Maximum damage of 6d6, with 3d6 acid burn.
5 - Cloudkill
5 - Corrosive Consumption
All damage halved.
5 - Geyser
5 - Hostile Juxtaposition
5 - Hungry Pit
5 - Mage's Faithful Hound
5 - Major Creation
5 - Planar Binding, Lesser
5 - Secret Chest
5 - Summon Monster V
5 - Teleport
5 - Wall of Stone

Divination is a great spell type for this game because it is focused all around discovering more about your opponents and spying on them. Divination wizards cannot be surprised and improve their scrying, Foresight wizards gain extra bonuses to their luck, and Scrying wizards gain an additional scrying sensor.

0 - Detect Magic
0 - Detect Poison
0 - Read Magic

1 - Anticipate Peril
1 - Comprehend Languages
1 - Detect Secret Doors
1 - Detect Undead
1 - Identify
1 - See Alignment
1 - True Strike

2 - Detect Thoughts
2 - Elemental Speech
2 - Locate Object
2 - See Invisibility
2 - Share Language
2 - Share Memory

3 - Arcane Sight
3 - Blood Biography
3 - Clairaudience/Clairvoyance
3 - Locate Weakness
3 - Seek Thoughts
3 - Share Language, Communal
3 - Tongues

4 - Arcane Eye
4 - Detect Scrying
4 - Locate Creature
4 - Named Bullet
4 - Scrying
4 - Share Senses
4 - Symbol of Revelation
4 - Tongues, Communal

5 - Contact Other Plane
5 - Prying Eyes
5 - Symbol of Scrying
5 - Telepathic Bond

Enchantment is the most control spell oriented type of magic. Enchantment wizards give penalties to all enemies around them, Controller wizards can dominate the minds of civilians, and Manipulator wizards can charm others into becoming allies.

0 - Daze

1 - Bungle
1 - Charm Person
1 - Delusional Pride
1 - Hypnotism
1 - Lock Gaze
1 - Memory Lapse
1 - Sleep
1 - Unprepared Combatant

2 - Bestow Weapon Proficiency
2 - Compassionate Ally
2 - Daze Monster
2 - Delay Pain
2 - Hideous Laughter
2 - Oppressive Boredom
2 - Qualm
2 - Ricochet Shot
2 - Tactical Acumen
2 - Touch of Idiocy
2 - Unnatural Lust

3 - Deep Slumber
3 - Heroism
3 - Hold Person
3 - Rage
3 - Reckless Infatuation
3 - Suggestion
3 - Unadulterated Loathing

4 - Charm Monster
4 - Confusion
4 - Control Summoned Creature
4 - Crushing Despair
4 - Daze, Mass
4 - Geas, Lesser
4 - Malicious Spite
4 - Moonstruck
4 - Overwhelming Grief
4 - Terrible Remorse
Will save fully negates.

5 - Dominate Person
5 - Feeblemind
Now lasts one hour.
5 - Mind Fog
5 - Smug Narcissism
5 - Symbol of Sleep

Evocation as a spell type is dedicated to dealing damage, and has been nerfed heavily. Evocation wizards power up spells and gain some free damage spells, Admixture wizards change the elemental damage of spells, and Generation wizards extend the damaging duration of spells.

0 - Dancing Lights
0 - Flare
0 - Light
0 - Spark
0 - Ray of Frost

1 - Burning Hands
1 - Ear Piercing Scream
Maximum damage of 2d6.
1 - Flare Burst
1 - Floating Disk
1 - Hydraulic Push
1 - Magic Missile
1 - Shocking Grasp

2 - Burning Gaze
2 - Continual Flame
2 - Darkness
2 - Defensive Shock
2 - Elemental Touch
2 - Fire Breath
2 - Flaming Sphere
2 - Frigid Touch
2 - Frost Fall
2 - Gust of Wind
2 - Pilfering Hand
2 - Protective Penumbra
2 - Scorching Ray
Maximum of one ray.
2 - Shatter
2 - Spontaneous Immolation

3 - Campfire Wall
3 - Chain of Perdition
3 - Daylight
3 - Distracting Cacophony
3 - Draconic Reservoir
3 - Elemental Aura
3 - Fireball
Maximum damage of 5d6.
3 - Force Punch
3 - Lightning Bolt
Maximum damage of 5d6.
3 - Pain Strike
3 - Tiny Hut
3 - Twilight Knife
3 - Wind Wall

4 - Agonize
4 - Ball Lightning
4 - Detonate
Maximum damage of 8d8.
4 - Dragon's Breath
Maximum damage of 6d6.
4 - Fire Shield
4 - Ice Storm
4 - Resilient Sphere
4 - River of Wind
4 - Shout
4 - Telekinetic Charge
4 - Vitriolic Mist
4 - Volcanic Storm
4 - Wall of Fire
4 - Wall of Ice

5 - Cone of Cold
Maximum damage of 8d6.
5 - Fire Snake
Maximum damage of 8d6.
5 - Interposing Hand
5 - Icy Prison
5 - Lightning Arc
Maximum damage of 8d6.
5 - Pain Strike, Mass
5 - Sending
5 - Sonic Thrust
5 - Wall of Force
5 - Wall of Sound

If Divination is a good spell type, Illusion is good because it counters it. Illusion allows you to hide from and fool opponents. Illusion wizards gain extra invisibility, Phantasm wizards attack opponent's minds, and Shadow wizards travel through shadows.

0 - Ghost Sound
0 - Haunted Fey Aspect

1 - Color Spray
1 - Disguise Self
1 - Illusion of Calm
1 - Magic Aura
1 - Negative Reaction
1 - Shadow Weapon
1 - Silent Image
1 - Vanish
1 - Ventriloquism

2 - Blur
2 - Disguise Other
2 - Ghostly Disguise
2 - Haunting Mists
2 - Hypnotic Pattern
2 - Invisibility
2 - Mad Hallucination
2 - Magic Mouth
2 - Mirror Image
2 - Misdirection
2 - Phantom Trap
2 - Symbol of Mirroring

3 - Displacement
Reduced to 25% on champions.
3 - Illusory Script
3 - Invisibility Sphere
3 - Loathsome Veil
3 - Major Image
3 - Vision of Hell

4 - Hallucinatory Terrain
4 - Illusory Wall
4 - Invisibility, Greater
Not usable on champions.
4 - Phantasmal Killer
4 - Rainbow Pattern
4 - Shadow Conjuration
4 - Shadow Step
4 - Shocking Image
4 - Simulacrum, Lesser
4 - Wandering Star Motes

5 - Dream
5 - False Vision
5 - Mirage Arcane
5 - Nightmare
5 - Persistent Image
5 - Phantasmal Web
5 - Seeming
5 - Shadow Evocation
5 - Symbol of Striking

Necromancy was significantly buffed, not just by me, but with the inclusion of many new great spells from beyond the core rulebook. Necromancy is a mixture of raising the undead and some nasty control spells. Necromancy wizards have power over the dead and can sense life, Life wizards offer the only healing wizards have available, and Undead wizards empower their undead army.

0 - Bleed
0 - Disrupt Undead
0 - Touch of Fatigue

1 - Cause Fear
1 - Chill Touch
1 - Decompose Corpse
1 - Interrogation
1 - Ray of Enfeeblement
1 - Ray of Sickening
1 - Restore Corpse
1 - Sculpt Corpse

2 - Blindess/Deafness
Last one day.
2 - Brow Gasher
2 - Command Undead
2 - False Life
2 - Ghoul Touch
2 - Pernicious Poison
2 - Scare
2 - Skinsend
2 - Spectral Hand
2 - Unshakeable Chill

3 - Animate Dead, Lesser
3 - Gentle Repose
3 - Halt Undead
3 - Healing Thief
3 - Howling Agony
3 - Marionette Possession
3 - Ray of Exhaustion
3 - Sands of Time
3 - Toxic Gift
3 - Vampiric Touch

4 - Animate Dead
All undead are buffed.
4 - Bestow Curse
4 - Contagion
4 - Enervation
4 - False Life, Greater
4 - Fear
4 - Shadow Projection

5 - Absorb Toxicity
5 - Astral Projection, Lesser
5 - Blight
5 - Magic Jar
5 - Plague Carrier
5 - Possess Object
5 - Suffocation
5 - Symbol of Pain
5 - Waves of Fatigue

Transmutation is mostly beneficial spells, but it's really a lot of things because as you can see there are a ton of transmutation spells. That reason alone makes it a decent spell school, or at least a bad opposition school. Transmutation wizards change shape, Enhancement wizards improve their ability scores, and Shapechange wizards gain a natural weapon.

0 - Mage Hand
0 - Mending
0 - Message
0 - Open/Close

1 - Alter Winds
1 - Animate Rope
1 - Ant Haul
1 - Break
1 - Crafter's Curse
1 - Crafter's Fortune
1 - Dancing Lantern
1 - Enlarge Person
1 - Erase
1 - Expeditious Excavation
1 - Expeditious Retreat
1 - Feather Fall
1 - Forced Quiet
1 - Gravity Bow
1 - Jump
1 - Liberating Command
1 - Longshot
1 - Magic Weapon
1 - Mirror Strike
1 - Polypurpose Panacea
1 - Reduce Person
1 - Snapdragon Fireworks
1 - Stone Fist
1 - Touch of Gracelessness
1 - Touch of the Sea
1 - Unerring Weapon
1 - Vocal Alteration
1 - Youthful Appearance

2 - Accelerate Poison
2 - Adoration
2 - Alter Self
2 - Animal Aspect
2 - Ant Haul, Communal
2 - Badger's Ferocity
2 - Bear's Endurance
2 - Boiling Blood
2 - Bull's Strength
2 - Cat's Grace
2 - Certain Grip
2 - Darkvision
2 - Disfiguring Touch
2 - Eagle's Splendor
2 - Fox's Cunning
2 - Glide
2 - Kinetic Reverberation
2 - Knock
2 - Levitate
2 - Make Whole
2 - Masterwork Transformation
2 - Owl's Wisdom
2 - Pyrotechnics
2 - Rope Trick
2 - Sculpt Simulacrum
2 - Silk to Steel
2 - Spider Climb
2 - Twisted Space
2 - Whispering Wind

3 - Anthropomorphic Animal
3 - Beast Shape I
3 - Blink
3 - Burrow
3 - Countless Eyes
3 - Darkvision, Communal
3 - Enter Image
3 - Eruptive Pustules
3 - Excruciating Deformation
3 - Flame Arrow
3 - Fly
3 - Gaseous Form
3 - Haste
3 - Hostile Levitation
3 - Keen Edge
3 - Magic Weapon, Greater
3 - Monstrous Physique I
3 - Pup Shape
3 - Resinous Skin
3 - Secret Page
3 - Shifting Sand
3 - Shrink Item
3 - Slow
3 - Spider Climb, Communal
3 - Strangling Hair
3 - Touch Injection
3 - Undead Anatomy I
3 - Versatile Weapon
3 - Water Breathing

4 - Animal Aspect, Greator
4 - Beast Shape II
4 - Calific Touch
4 - Darkvision, Greator
4 - Elemental Body I
4 - Enlarge Person, Mass
4 - Firefall
4 - Monstrous Physique II
4 - Obsidian Flow
4 - Reduce Person, Mass
4 - Ride the Waves
4 - Stone Shape
4 - Symbol of Slowing
4 - Vermin Shape I

5 - Animal Growth
5 - Baleful Polymorph
Lasts one hour.
5 - Beast Shape III
5 - Echolocation
5 - Elemental Body II
5 - Fabricate
5 - Fickle Winds
5 - Monstrous Physique III
5 - Overland Flight
5 - Passwall
5 - Planar Adaptation
5 - Plant Shape I
5 - Polymorph
5 - Telekinesis
5 - Transmute Mud to Rock
5 - Transmute Rock to Mud
5 - Treasure Stitching
5 - Undead Anatomy II
5 - Vermin Shape II

Hey, vonFiedler, maybe (not?) you'll remember that I expressed interest in playing this when you made it, but this game seems to demand very regular activity, and I'm going away for a short while soon. When is this game scheduled to start?

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Due to the fact that some time will be wasted till players get their character description and and stats skills etc together, I'd say being away for a short while at the start is no problem. Up to von though.

Also, you had a non-CORE metamagic feat, Stunning Spell IIRC.
In

Also just because I won the last game I'm not any better than other players, all I won because of was luck a lot of freaking luck:
-My Bard survived his ecounter with 2 health left
-I only survived against Agape and AG because ginga showed up in time to save my ass, I wouldn't even have been able to off Agape if he didn't come
-I managed to avoid battles till late in the game, and even then they were battles without my main party
-People never went for my champ first, and my champ's power protected my mage
-I got lucky picking the best feat in game(Leadership) which is now banned
-My Knight got never pushed back by the Force Field of Agape, due to rolling great

So yeah, I'm not good, just extremly lucky(and a good ally, ALLY WITH ME)
I'm in, too. Second time's the charm?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I've decided on the 8 players. Competition was tight and the last few slots were very hard to pick, so I'm sorry if you didn't get in.

Lightwolf
imperfectluck
Aura Guardian
ginganinja
Agape
jumpluff
Raikage
icecoolblue

Get in #flamel, we need to start building characters. I'll try and have everyone ready to go within the next 48 hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)