Salamence (Moxie-based Lure)

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve done this. Feels good.

QC Approvals (3/3): (Straw Hat Luffy) (Pocket) (Bloo)
GP Approvals (2/2): (sirndpt) (SkullCandy)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to kill you all. I swear.

[SET]
name: Lure (Moxie)
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Dragon Claw
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Earthquake / Brick Break
item: Expert Belt / Lum Berry
ability: Moxie
nature: Naive / Naughty
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Moxie Salamence is such a threat in the OU metagame that many players have to cautiously prepare their teams with switch-ins to take the resisted or ineffective attacks from the Choice Scarf set; this common scenario can be exploited by utilizing items other than Life Orb or a Choice item. Thanks to the lack of HP modification in Leftovers recovery or Life Orb recoil, as well as the absence of Intimidate, the opponent will likely expect Salamence to be using a Choice Band or Choice Scarf set, and send in an "appropriate" check or counter. However, with this set, Salamence can retaliate with an appropriate coverage move and deal massive damage to the presumed "safe" switch-in. Thanks to Salamence's high offensive stats, it almost always achieves at least one kill, receives an Attack boost thanks to Moxie, and becomes a fearful sweeper. This set, however, should be used early-game to lure and eliminate as many foes as possible; do not be overzealous with switching Salamence in constantly if you can't afford it.</p>

<p>All attacks from the Choice Scarf set are still applicable due to this set's ability to lure in checks and counters to the aforementioned set. In order to successfully attract these threats, Outrage must be used only in case of bulky threats that cannot be KOed in any other way. Otherwise, Salamence will be locked in for a couple of turns, which creates an easy opportunity for the opponent to send in a surefire counter. Dragon Claw should be used first to scout potential switch-ins, especially Steel-types, who can then be hit super effectively with Fire Blast, Earthquake, or Brick Break. After these Steel-types are eliminated, Salamence is virtually free to go all-out with its STAB moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum Attack and Speed EVs are a given because of this set's offensive nature. However, unlike other sets, a Naive nature is preferred to outrun as many Pokemon as possible, which amplifies this set's ability to bluff a Choice set. Additionally, Salamence is likely to obtain Attack boosts with Moxie, which makes up for the power lost from using the Naive nature. A Naughty nature is a viable option as well, as the extra Attack points can come in handy on a Pokemon with little to no item boosts.<p>

<p>Salamence has many items to choose from. The boost provided by Expert Belt helps especially against bulky Pokemon, as it allows Salamence to always OHKO common variants of Jirachi, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Ninetales, and even physically defensive Latias, without an Attack boost. While Lum Berry doesn't provide any boosts necessary to OHKO such threats, it gives Salamence more flexibility against bulky status users, especially Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Chansey; it can also heal Outrage-induced confusion. There are other fairly gimmicky but usable items that Salamence can use. For instance, if you are not too concerned about the loss of power against Rock- and Steel-types, Draco Plate can be used to boost the power of Dragon Claw and Outrage. Going further down the list of situational items, Haban Berry enables Salamence to survive unboosted attacks from Dragon-type revenge killers, such as Latios's Dragon Pulse and opposing Salamence's Outrage, and retaliate with its own Dragon-type move. Yache Berry similarly weakens Ice-type attacks, especially those from Mamoswine, Abomasnow, Landorus, and bulky Water-types. Finally, Fire, Fighting, or Ground Gems can be used to ensure OHKOs against specific Steel-types if Salamence cannot afford to only 2HKO them. Fire Gem is especially recommended as it enables Salamence to deal massive damage to Ferrothorn and Skarmory, even in rain.</p>

<p>As this set easily lures in and eliminates certain Pokemon, it should be paired with Pokemon that benefit from the removal of such threats. It performs particularly well on teams with multiple offensive Dragon-type Pokemon, as it can easily remove Steel-types while bluffing a Choice Scarf. Meanwhile, Salamence can pose an offensive threat all by itself, so it isn't completely reliant on the offensive support of its teammates. All in all, Salamence is a great fit for teams that have problems against specific defensive Pokemon, such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Of course, as this set lacks a method of boosting its Speed, faster Pokemon are Salamence's bane. Once Salamence's bluff has disappeared, the opponent will be eager to revenge kill it with faster threats, such as Terrakion, Latios, Jolteon, and opposing Choice Scarf Salamence. Salamence appreciates Steel-type teammates for this matter, as they resist the super effective Ice-, Rock-, and Dragon-type moves aimed at it. Rapid Spin support is also recommended as it extends Salamence's longevity by removing Stealth Rock from the field. Donphan and Forretress are bulky enough to Rapid Spin effectively, and can both set up entry hazards themselves. For a more offensive approach, Starmie is an excellent choice thanks to its impeccable power, Speed, and coverage. Magic Bounce Espeon is also a viable teammate, as it can deflect Stealth Rock immediately while setting up defensive screens for Salamence and its teammates.</p>

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
seems like a really interesting and effective lure in this current meta. I cant wait to go and try this set out :P

AccidentalGreed

No comment on the set, but you might want to add Moxie as ability :P
Way ahead of ya...

...if five hours is any indication of me getting to my mistakes in a short period of time. :P

I also added a tl;dr and additional set details, so you guys can go kill it now.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
This set is very, very effective. I have tried this out and It really helps to bluff a choice item. IMO, Lum Berry is the preferred Item to take random status, but Expert Belt can help I guess to buff up Fire blast and EQ. Still really potent set that really just screws up people

Hmmmmmm, if I was playing against a Salamence I wouldn't assume that if it was carrying a Scarf immediatly due to the possibility of being a DD set with Lum Berry. But anyway I don't know if you should add Lum Berry because it means you have to stays hands off from Outrage which would be unfavorable in some situations.

This is a pretty cool idea and really similar to the way EBelt Landorus works. The only I would add is mentioning Spikes / Stealth Rock support, as it guarantees an OHKO on Ferrothorn and makes sure you at least 2HKO Blissey (as opposed to a 2-3HKO), so it's probably worth mentioning. Of course this doesn't factor in boosts or anything, and it's not like they'll be switching in on Salamence with impunity, but it helps avoid Thunder Wave and other annoying stuff.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
QC APPROVED (1/3)

Approving this, but only because moxie mence with a scarf is really popular. Seriously, EVERYONE is using that set, so the ability to wreck its checks is pretty damn cool.

Definitely will have to try this set out as everyone uses Scarf Mence just like Straw Hat Luffy said and it will more than likely throw off a ton of people.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
this is a pretty meta set - nice find, AccidentalGreed. I personally don't think you need to stress the +Spe nature, since almost all Pokemon with a base Speed under 100 goes for the +Atk or +SpA nature. Rather than slashing Hasty, I personally would slash Naughty as the secondary nature instead. The extra 10% in attack can come in handy on a Pokemon with only Expert Belt to boost its offense.

Dragon Fang may be a usable AC item to pump its two dragon STAB moves.

QC Approved (2/3)

AccidentalGreed

Okay, so as a little bump-up, what do you guys think of slashing in a coverage move along with Outrage? In my experiences when playing with this set, Outrage was pretty much my least-used move, since Salamence can't really afford to lock itself in early. Dragon Claw, instead, is the main attack because it's STAB, and it allows it to scout for checks. Replacing Outrage with Brick Break or Earthquake proved to be useful in many instances, but, of course, Salamence loses out on some key KOes without Outrage (I know Bulky Volcarona and Rotom-W would certainly agree :/).

This is what the modified set would look like:

move 1: Dragon Claw
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Outrage / Brick Break

Thoughts?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm wondering how gems would work. Especially the Fire / Fighting / Ground gems... since it's meant to lure in and destroy shit. It only needs that one chance to blast the crap out of a steel switch-in. Lum Berry can give the gig up by comparison, and Expert Belt doesn't boost it's Dragon moves (which will destroy all enemy Dragon's except Multi Scale Dragonite anyway).

Also, this set is begging to be used with Double Dragon. Any other offensive Dragon would probably make a great teammate to sweep after Salamence lures and kills something.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
To me a powerful STAB Outrage would personally be an overall better choice than a weak Brick Break, especially if the purpose is to break walls. As mentioned in my previous post, there is always Dragon Fang to boost its dragon STAB moves even against neutral foes for a better chance at a KO. I would leave the set as is and AC mention Brick Break > Outrage.

Also, Chou Toshio's Gem suggestion is also pretty cool, it fits perfectly with the lure and wall-breaking strategy of this set. Obviously Dragon Gem would not work, since it would immediately remove the guise of a Scarf Mence, but the gems boosting its coverage moves certainly would cripple / KO more of the monsters that this set is luring in. Fire, Ground, Fighting gems are worth an AC mention, imo.

peng

policy goblin
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've been using Fire Gem Flamethrower MoxieMence alongside DDKingdra and it works really, really well. I originally had EBelt Fire Blast, but the biggest issue was Fire Blast's shaky accuracy, and the fact that Fire Blast was pretty much the only move that was getting boosted by Expert Belt in the first place. Fire Gem Flamethrower is about as powerful as EBelt Fire Blast on the first hit, maintains your ability to bluff Choice Scarf since 95% of the time you just switch it in and Dragon Claw off the bat anyway, but has 100% accuracy which ends up being really important. If the point of this set is to lure in Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Forretress etc so something else can sweep then Fire Gem Flamethrower is far more efficient than Expert Belt.

Maybe a /Hydro pump for Gliscor ? Gliscor is not that scared of Scarfmence so he can set-up a sub pretty easily and strat to be annoying as hell, thing like Rakion benefits from both Skarm's and Gliscor's death so it can be useful.

Like PenguinX said, a gem can be nice too, to be sure of the kill, but if you play both Hpump and Fire move expert belt is the way to go..

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Leave the set as-is and if you'd like, mention the other ideas brought up in this thread in AC. Other than that, there's not much to say here. I like this sets ability to lure things in and open up holes for other Pokemon, so consider this approved.

AccidentalGreed

>Insert message on how I'm finally done with this thing after a few weeks of deliberately putting it off, and that GP people can start there magic on this now.

Sigh.

Cereza

Tastes Like Candy
am check! n.n

•add
•omit
•comments

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Ever since its release, Moxie Salamence has imposed a great impact upon is such a threat in the OU metagame; so much, in fact, that many players have to cautiously prepared their teams with safe switch-ins to take on the resisted or ineffective attacks from the Choice Scarf set. This common scenario, however, can be exploited by utilizing items other than Life Orb or a Choice item. Due Thanks to the lack of HP modification (via lLeftovers recovery or Life Orb recoil), as well as the absence of Intimidate, the opponent will likely expect the Dragon Pokemon Salamence to be using a its cChoice Band or Choice Scarf sets, and send in the an "appropriate" check or counter. However, with this set Salamence can then retaliate with the aappropriate coverage move, and causing dealmassive damage to its the presumed "safe" switch-in. Thanks to Salamence's high offensive stats, it will most likely almost always achieves at least one kill, receives an Attack boost (via thanks to Moxie), and becomes a fearful sweeper. This set, however, should be used early-game to lure and eliminate as many foes as possible. Do not be overzealous with switching Salamence in constantly if you can't afford it to.</p>

<p>All attacks from the Choice Scarf set are still applicable due to this set's ability to lure in checks counters to the aforementioned set. In order to successfully attract these threats, Outrage must be used only in case of bulky threats that cannot be KOed in any other way otherwise. Otherwise, Salamence will be locked in for a couple of turns, creating an easy opportunity for the opponent to send in a counter. Using Dragon Claw should be used first is recommended to scout potential switch-ins, especially Steel-types, most of which are subsequently hit super effectively by the incoming by Fire Blast, Earthquake, or Brick Break for super effective damage. After these Steel-types are eliminated, Salamence is virtually free to go all-out with its STAB moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximumized Attack and Speed EVs are a givens due to because of this set's offensive nature. However, unlike other sets, the a Naive nature is preferred to outrun as much many Pokemon as possible, amplifying this set's ability to bluff a Choice sets. Additionally, Salamence will is likely to attain obtainAttack boosts with Moxie, which makes up for the power lost from using the Naive nature. Naughty nature is a Salamence, however, still a considerable option, since as the extra Attack points can come in handy on a Pokemon with little to no item boosts.<p>

<p>Speaking of which, Salamence has many item choices to choose from. The boost provided by Expert Belt helps especially against bulky Pokemon, as it allowsing Salamence to always OHKO common variants of Jirachi, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Ninetales, and even physically defensive Latias, without an Attack boost. While Lum Berry doesn't provide any boosts necessary to OHKO such threats, it instead gives Salamence more flexibility to fight against bulky status users, especially Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Chansey. If the Lum Berry is preserved, it also heals Outrage-induced confusion. From here on, tThere are other fairly gimmick niche, but usable items that Salamence can use. For instance, if you are not too concerned about the loss of damage against Rock- or Steel-types, Draco Plate can be used to boost the power of Dragon Claw and Outrage. Going further down the list of situational items, the Haban Berry allows Salamence to survive unboosted attacks from Dragon-type revenge killers, such as Latios's Dragon Pulse and opposing Salamence's Outrage, and retaliate with its own Dragon-type move. The Yache Berry can does the same for random Ice-type attacks, especially those from Mamoswine, Abomasnow, Landorus, and bulky Water-types. Finally, the Fire, Fighting, or Ground Gems can be used to ensure OHKOes against specific Steel-types, if Salamence cannot afford a 2HKO against them. The Fire Gem is especially recommended, since as it allows Salamence to deal massive damage to Ferrothorn and Skarmory, even in rain.</p>

<p>Since As this Salamence set can easily lures in and eliminates certain Pokemon, it should be paired with Pokemon that benefit from the removal of such threats. Particularly, it performs well on teams with multiple offensive Dragon-type Pokemon, since as it can easily remove Steel-types while bluffing its aChoice Scarf set. All in all, Salamence is a great fit if your team happens to have problems against specific Pokemon, such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Of course, since as this set Salamence lacks any method of boosting its sSpeed, faster Pokemon<give examples> will be are Salamence's bane. Once Salamence's bluff has disappeared, the opponent will be eager to revenge kill it the Dragon Pokemon. Salamence appreciates With a Steel-type teammates as they resist the super effective, however, Ice-, Rock-, and Dragon-type moves aimed at Salamence can be easily sponged. Stealth Rock removal Rapin Spin support is also recommended as it extends so Salamence's longevity by removing Stealth Rock out of the field can more easily switch into resisted attacks and stay in service for as long as possible.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Moxie Salamence is such a threat in the OU metagame, that many players have to cautiously prepare their teams with switch-ins to take the resisted or ineffective attacks from the Choice Scarf set. This common scenario, however, can be exploited by utilizing items other than Life Orb or a Choice item<I don't get the true meaning of this sentence ._.>. Thanks to the lack of HP modification —Leftovers recovery or Life Orb recoil— as well as the absence of Intimidate, the opponent will likely expect Salamence to be using a Choice Band or Choice Scarf set, and send in an "appropriate" check or counter. However, with this set Salamence can retaliate with an appropriate coverage move, and deal massive damage to the presumed "safe" switch-in. Thanks to Salamence's high offensive stats, it almost always achieves at least one kill, receives an Attack boost —thanks to Moxie—, and becomes a fearful sweeper. This set, however, should be used early-game to lure and eliminate as many foes as possible. Do not be overzealous with switching Salamence in constantly if you can't afford it.</p>

<p>All attacks from the Choice Scarf set are still applicable due to this set's ability to lure in checks counters to the aforementioned set. In order to successfully attract these threats, Outrage must be used only in case of bulky threats that cannot be KOed in any other way otherwise. Otherwise, Salamence will be locked in for a couple of turns, creating an easy opportunity for the opponent to send in a counter. Using Dragon Claw should be used first is recommended to scout potential switch-ins, especially Steel-types, most of which are subsequently hit super effectively by the incoming by Fire Blast, Earthquake, or Brick Break for super effective damage. After these Steel-types are eliminated, Salamence is virtually free to go all-out with its STAB moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum Attack and Speed EVs are a given because of this set's offensive nature. However, unlike other sets, a Naive nature is preferred to outrun as many Pokemon as possible, amplifying this set's ability to bluff a Choice set. Additionally, Salamence is likely to obtain Attack boosts with Moxie, which makes up for the power lost from using the Naive nature. Naughty nature is a considerable option, as the extra Attack points can come in handy on a Pokemon with little to no item boosts.<p>

<p>Salamence has many item choices to choose from. The boost provided by Expert Belt helps especially against bulky Pokemon, as it allows Salamence to always OHKO common variants of Jirachi, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Ninetales, and even physically defensive Latias, without an Attack boost. While Lum Berry doesn't provide any boosts necessary to OHKO such threats, it gives Salamence more flexibility to fight against bulky status users, especially Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Chansey. If the Lum Berry is preserved, it also heals Outrage-induced confusion. There are other fairly gimmick, but usable items that Salamence can use. For instance, if you are not too concerned about the loss of damage against Rock- or Steel-types, Draco Plate can be used to boost the power of Dragon Claw and Outrage. Haban Berry allows Salamence to survive unboosted attacks from Dragon-type revenge killers, such as Latios's Dragon Pulse and opposing Salamence's Outrage, and retaliate with its own Dragon-type move. Yache Berry does the same, but for random Ice-type attacks, especially those from Mamoswine, Abomasnow, Landorus, and bulky Water-types. Finally, Fire, Fighting, or Ground Gems can be used to ensure OHKOes against specific Steel-types if Salamence cannot afford a 2HKO against them. Fire Gem is especially recommended, as it allows Salamence to deal massive damage to Ferrothorn and Skarmory, even in rain.</p>

<p>As this set easily lures in and eliminates certain Pokemon, it should be paired with Pokemon that benefit from the removal of such threats. Particularly, it performs well on teams with multiple offensive Dragon-type Pokemon, as it can easily remove Steel-types while bluffing a Choice Scarf. All in all, Salamence is a great fit if your team happens to have problems against Pokemon, such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Of course, as this set lacks a method of boosting its Speed, faster Pokemon<give examples> are Salamence's bane. Once Salamence's bluff has disappeared, the opponent will be eager to revenge kill it. Salamence appreciates Steel-type teammates, as they resist the super effective Ice-, Rock-, and Dragon-type moves aimed at it. Rapin Spin support is also recommended as it extends Salamence's longevity by removing Stealth Rock out of the field.</p>

implemented cereza's changes

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Moxie Salamence is such a threat in the OU metagame, that many players have to cautiously prepare their teams with switch-ins to take the resisted or ineffective attacks from the Choice Scarf set; this common scenario, however, can be exploited by utilizing items other than Life Orb or a Choice item. Thanks to the lack of HP modification in Leftovers recovery or Life Orb recoil , as well as the absence of Intimidate, the opponent will likely expect Salamence to be using a Choice Band or Choice Scarf set, and send in an "appropriate" check or counter. However, with this set, Salamence can retaliate with an appropriate coverage move, and deal massive damage to the presumed "safe" switch-in. Thanks to Salamence's high offensive stats, it almost always achieves at least one kill, receives an Attack boost thanks to Moxie, and becomes a fearful sweeper. This set, however, should be used early-game to lure and eliminate as many foes as possible; do not be overzealous with switching Salamence in constantly if you can't afford it.</p>

<p>All attacks from the Choice Scarf set are still applicable due to this set's ability to lure in checks counters (checks and counters? or did you only mean to pick one) to the aforementioned set. In order to successfully attract these threats, Outrage must be used only in case of bulky threats that cannot be KOed in any other way otherwise. Otherwise, Salamence will be locked in for a couple of turns, creating which creates an easy opportunity for the opponent to send in a surefire counter. Using Dragon Claw should be used first is recommended to scout potential switch-ins, especially Steel-types, most of which are subsequently who can then be hit super effectively by the incoming by with Fire Blast, Earthquake, or Brick Break for super effective damage. After these Steel-types are eliminated, Salamence is virtually free to go all-out with its STAB moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum Attack and Speed EVs are a given because of this set's offensive nature. However, unlike other sets, a Naive nature is preferred to outrun as many Pokemon as possible, amplifying which amplifies this set's ability to bluff a Choice set. Additionally, Salamence is likely to obtain Attack boosts with Moxie, which makes up for the power lost from using the Naive nature. A Naughty nature is a considerable viable option as well, as the extra Attack points can come in handy on a Pokemon with little to no item boosts.<p>

<p>Salamence has many item choices items to choose from. The boost provided by Expert Belt helps especially against bulky Pokemon, as it allows Salamence to always OHKO common variants of Jirachi, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Ninetales, and even physically defensive Latias, without an Attack boost. While Lum Berry doesn't provide any boosts necessary to OHKO such threats, it gives Salamence more flexibility to fight against bulky status users, especially Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Chansey; If the Lum Berry is preserved, it can also heals Outrage-induced confusion. There are other fairly gimmicky, but usable items that Salamence can use. For instance, if you are not too concerned about the loss of damage power against Rock- or and Steel-types, Draco Plate can be used to boost the power of Dragon Claw and Outrage. Going further down the list of situational items, Haban Berry allows Salamence to survive unboosted attacks from Dragon-type revenge killers, such as Latios's Dragon Pulse and opposing Salamence's Outrage, and retaliate with its own Dragon-type move. Yache Berry does the same, but for similarly weakens random Ice-type attacks, especially those from Mamoswine, Abomasnow, Landorus, and bulky Water-types. Finally, Fire, Fighting, or Ground Gems can be used to ensure OHKOes against specific Steel-types if Salamence cannot afford a 2HKO against to only 2HKO them. Fire Gem is especially recommended, as it allows Salamence to deal massive damage to Ferrothorn and Skarmory, even in rain.</p>

<p>As this set easily lures in and eliminates certain Pokemon, it should be paired with Pokemon that benefit from the removal of such threats. Particularly, it performs It performs particularly well on teams with multiple offensive Dragon-type Pokemon, as it can easily remove Steel-types while bluffing a Choice Scarf. All in all, Salamence is a great fit if your team happens to for teams that have problems against specific defensive Pokemon, such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Of course, as this set lacks a method of boosting its Speed, faster Pokemon are Salamence's bane. Once Salamence's bluff has disappeared, the opponent will be eager to revenge kill it (using pokemon such as?). Salamence appreciates Steel-type teammates, as they resist the super effective Ice-, Rock-, and Dragon-type moves aimed at it. Rapid Spin support is also recommended as it extends Salamence's longevity by removing Stealth Rock out of the field from the field (recommend some specific spinners).</p>
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Moxie Salamence is such a threat in the OU metagame that many players have to cautiously prepare their teams with switch-ins to take the resisted or ineffective attacks from the Choice Scarf set; this common scenario can be exploited by utilizing items other than Life Orb or a Choice item. Thanks to the lack of HP modification in Leftovers recovery or Life Orb recoil, as well as the absence of Intimidate, the opponent will likely expect Salamence to be using a Choice Band or Choice Scarf set, and send in an "appropriate" check or counter. However, with this set, Salamence can retaliate with an appropriate coverage move and deal massive damage to the presumed "safe" switch-in. Thanks to Salamence's high offensive stats, it almost always achieves at least one kill, receives an Attack boost thanks to Moxie, and becomes a fearful sweeper. This set, however, should be used early-game to lure and eliminate as many foes as possible; do not be overzealous with switching Salamence in constantly if you can't afford it.</p>

<p>All attacks from the Choice Scarf set are still applicable due to this set's ability to lure in checks counters (checks and counters? or did you only mean to pick one) to the aforementioned set. In order to successfully attract these threats, Outrage must be used only in case of bulky threats that cannot be KOed in any other way. Otherwise, Salamence will be locked in for a couple of turns, which creates an easy opportunity for the opponent to send in a surefire counter. Dragon Claw should be used first to scout potential switch-ins, especially Steel-types, who can then be hit super effectively with Fire Blast, Earthquake, or Brick Break. After these Steel-types are eliminated, Salamence is virtually free to go all-out with its STAB moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum Attack and Speed EVs are a given because of this set's offensive nature. However, unlike other sets, a Naive nature is preferred to outrun as many Pokemon as possible, which amplifies this set's ability to bluff a Choice set. Additionally, Salamence is likely to obtain Attack boosts with Moxie, which makes up for the power lost from using the Naive nature. A Naughty nature is a viable option as well, as the extra Attack points can come in handy on a Pokemon with little to no item boosts.<p>

<p>Salamence has many items to choose from. The boost provided by Expert Belt helps especially against bulky Pokemon, as it allows Salamence to always OHKO common variants of Jirachi, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Ninetales, and even physically defensive Latias, without an Attack boost. While Lum Berry doesn't provide any boosts necessary to OHKO such threats, it gives Salamence more flexibility against bulky status users, especially Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Chansey; it can also heal Outrage-induced confusion. There are other fairly gimmicky but usable items that Salamence can use. For instance, if you are not too concerned about the loss of power against Rock- and Steel-types, Draco Plate can be used to boost the power of Dragon Claw and Outrage. Going further down the list of situational items, Haban Berry allows Salamence to survive unboosted attacks from Dragon-type revenge killers, such as Latios's Dragon Pulse and opposing Salamence's Outrage, and retaliate with its own Dragon-type move. Yache Berry similarly weakens random Ice-type attacks, especially those from Mamoswine, Abomasnow, Landorus, and bulky Water-types. Finally, Fire, Fighting, or Ground Gems can be used to ensure OHKOs against specific Steel-types if Salamence cannot afford to only 2HKO them. Fire Gem is especially recommended as it allows Salamence to deal massive damage to Ferrothorn and Skarmory, even in rain.</p>

<p>As this set easily lures in and eliminates certain Pokemon, it should be paired with Pokemon that benefit from the removal of such threats. It performs particularly well on teams with multiple offensive Dragon-type Pokemon, as it can easily remove Steel-types while bluffing a Choice Scarf. All in all, Salamence is a great fit for teams that have problems against specific defensive Pokemon, such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Of course, as this set lacks a method of boosting its Speed, faster Pokemon are Salamence's bane. Once Salamence's bluff has disappeared, the opponent will be eager to revenge kill it (using pokemon such as?). Salamence appreciates Steel-type teammates, as they resist the super effective Ice-, Rock-, and Dragon-type moves aimed at it. Rapid Spin support is also recommended as it extends Salamence's longevity by removing Stealth Rock from the field (recommend some specific spinners and perhaps explain why).</p>

AccidentalGreed

Why is it that I always type your name wrong the first time, sirndpt?

*ahem* Anyways, second GP check, go for it.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>All attacks from the Choice Scarf set are still applicable due to this set's ability to lure in checks and counters to the aforementioned set. In order to successfully attract these threats, Outrage must be used only in case of bulky threats that cannot be KOed in any other way. Otherwise, Salamence will be locked in for a couple of turns, which creates an easy opportunity for the opponent to send in a surefire counter. Dragon Claw should be used first to scout potential switch-ins, especially Steel-types, who can then be hit super effectively with Fire Blast, Earthquake, or Brick Break. After these Steel-types are eliminated, Salamence is virtually free to go all-out with its STAB moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Salamence has many items to choose from. The boost provided by Expert Belt helps especially against bulky Pokemon, as it allows Salamence to always OHKO common variants of Jirachi, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Ninetales, and even physically defensive Latias, without an Attack boost. While Lum Berry doesn't provide any boosts necessary to OHKO such threats, it gives Salamence more flexibility against bulky status users, especially Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Chansey; it can also heal Outrage-induced confusion. There are other fairly gimmicky but usable items that Salamence can use. For instance, if you are not too concerned about the loss of power against Rock- and Steel-types, Draco Plate can be used to boost the power of Dragon Claw and Outrage. Going further down the list of situational items, Haban Berry allowenables Salamence to survive unboosted attacks from Dragon-type revenge killers, such as Latios's Dragon Pulse and opposing Salamence's Outrage, and retaliate with its own Dragon-type move. Yache Berry similarly weakens random Ice-type attacks, especially those from Mamoswine, Abomasnow, Landorus, and bulky Water-types. Finally, Fire, Fighting, or Ground Gems can be used to ensure OHKOs against specific Steel-types if Salamence cannot afford to only 2HKO them. Fire Gem is especially recommended as it allowenables Salamence to deal massive damage to Ferrothorn and Skarmory, even in rain.</p>

<p>As this set easily lures in and eliminates certain Pokemon, it should be paired with Pokemon that benefit from the removal of such threats. It performs particularly well on teams with multiple offensive Dragon-type Pokemon, as it can easily remove Steel-types while bluffing a Choice Scarf. Meanwhile, Salamence can pose an offensive threat all by itself, so it isn't completely reliant on the offensive support of its teammates. All in all, Salamence is a great fit for teams that have problems against specific defensive Pokemon, such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Of course, as this set lacks a method of boosting its Speed, faster Pokemon are Salamence's bane. Once Salamence's bluff has disappeared, the opponent will be eager to revenge kill it with faster threats, such as Terrakion, Latios, Jolteon, and opposing Choice Scarf Salamence. Salamence appreciates Steel-type teammates for this matter, as they resist the super effective Ice-, Rock-, and Dragon-type moves aimed at it. Rapid Spin support is also recommended as it extends Salamence's longevity by removing Stealth Rock from the field. Some Rapid Spin users include Donphan and Forretress, who can also provide both defensive and entry hazards support. For a more offensive approach, you may consider Starmie forDonphan and Forretress are bulky enough to Rapid Spin effectively, and can both set up entry hazards themselves. For a more offensive approach, Starmie is an excellent choice thanks to its impeccable power, sSpeed, and coverage. Magic Bounce Espeon is also a viable teammate, as it can deflect Stealth Rock immediately while setting up defensive screens for Salamence and its teammates.</p>
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Salamence has many items to choose from. The boost provided by Expert Belt helps especially against bulky Pokemon, as it allows Salamence to always OHKO common variants of Jirachi, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Ninetales, and even physically defensive Latias, without an Attack boost. While Lum Berry doesn't provide any boosts necessary to OHKO such threats, it gives Salamence more flexibility against bulky status users, especially Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Chansey; it can also heal Outrage-induced confusion. There are other fairly gimmicky but usable items that Salamence can use. For instance, if you are not too concerned about the loss of power against Rock- and Steel-types, Draco Plate can be used to boost the power of Dragon Claw and Outrage. Going further down the list of situational items, Haban Berry enables Salamence to survive unboosted attacks from Dragon-type revenge killers, such as Latios's Dragon Pulse and opposing Salamence's Outrage, and retaliate with its own Dragon-type move. Yache Berry similarly weakens Ice-type attacks, especially those from Mamoswine, Abomasnow, Landorus, and bulky Water-types. Finally, Fire, Fighting, or Ground Gems can be used to ensure OHKOs against specific Steel-types if Salamence cannot afford to only 2HKO them. Fire Gem is especially recommended as it enables Salamence to deal massive damage to Ferrothorn and Skarmory, even in rain.</p>

<p>As this set easily lures in and eliminates certain Pokemon, it should be paired with Pokemon that benefit from the removal of such threats. It performs particularly well on teams with multiple offensive Dragon-type Pokemon, as it can easily remove Steel-types while bluffing a Choice Scarf. Meanwhile, Salamence can pose an offensive threat all by itself, so it isn't completely reliant on the offensive support of its teammates. All in all, Salamence is a great fit for teams that have problems against specific defensive Pokemon, such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Of course, as this set lacks a method of boosting its Speed, faster Pokemon are Salamence's bane. Once Salamence's bluff has disappeared, the opponent will be eager to revenge kill it with faster threats, such as Terrakion, Latios, Jolteon, and opposing Choice Scarf Salamence. Salamence appreciates Steel-type teammates for this matter, as they resist the super effective Ice-, Rock-, and Dragon-type moves aimed at it. Rapid Spin support is also recommended as it extends Salamence's longevity by removing Stealth Rock from the field. Donphan and Forretress are bulky enough to Rapid Spin effectively, and can both set up entry hazards themselves. For a more offensive approach, Starmie is an excellent choice thanks to its impeccable power, Speed, and coverage. Magic Bounce Espeon is also a viable teammate, as it can deflect Stealth Rock immediately while setting up defensive screens for Salamence and its teammates.</p>

I love when I only have to make tiny changes :)

GP approved 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)