Research Group #5 - Yanmega, Slowking, Galvantula

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Hello fellow UUers, it's time for the fifth installment of the Research Group!

#1 | #2 | #3 | #4

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:

• Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Like I said before, feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.

Research Group #5

[pimg]474[/pimg][pimg]199[/pimg][pimg]626[/pimg]
Yanmega | Slowking | Galvantula​

How useful are these Pokemon in UU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #genvuu as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:

• Send me a PM / post here or on IRC with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!

The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who is at the highest rating on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. If you win, you will receive temporary hops on #genvuu, but you may only claim your prize if you actually participated in the discussion!

Current Participants:

Forum Name - Ladder Alt

FastFlygon - Arachnophobia
Ginku - Ginku
Omicron - -bugdom
thawigga - Open Voltage
PsYch071c - King of UU
TSTEF - King Neptune
FlareBlitz - FlareCouldUsePants
NGC-2024 - IC 2118
DestinyUnknown - Destiny_
Godsend - The Enigma
Explorer - TemporaryAlt1
MrGatr - Voyage
RT. - HEA-RT-LESS

Epic!
Alt: Arachnophobia
Using Galvantula for definite, possibly Yanmega as well, I don't like the SR weak but Yanmega has great stats and a solid movepool as well as two exceptional abilities. If I use Slowking which I probably won't, I'm thinking NP + TR shows a lot of promise, possibly ona dedicated TR team IDK.

Galvantula is really good though, Thunder hits really damn hard and between it and Bug Buzz you hit a lot of common UU specially defensive Pokemon super-effectively, which is pretty cool. It has issues with Snorlax like pretty much every other UU special attacker, but other than that its only really prone to revenge killing and residual damage. (IE sand sucks :-( )
I'll probably pair it with another electric type to weaken checks for a lategame sweep, or possibly Yanmega/another Bug to do the same sort of thing.

YES
SLOWKING
actually no it can't move out of RU

whatever, alt Ginku since all my alts are in use except this one for some reason

After some playing, note these aren't final thoughts, I was not impressed with either bugs in in this group. A weakness to stealth rock hurt them both and beings quite frail just makes the issue worse. I found myself troubled to switch in yanmega though he played a good lead with speed boat he has close to no survivability so I chose an all out attacking set
With galvantula there is a lot of difficulty switching in because of its low defensive stats so a choice set didn't seem like a great option. though he can be provided great coverage it is tough to find a time to safely switch him in. He does well for a mid game quick 1-2 KO before he is down the drain. maybe its because I play a bulkier offensive game its my fault but neither were exactly my coup of tea and were tough to fit into the teams.

Slowking in the other hand worked quite well as a trick room wall.
Ran a set that was balanced in special and regular defenses (update spread as soon as I can get to. A PC) but he used trick room toxic rest and seismic toss. He is holding a chesto. This guy works well by spreading poison
if I can get another reliable trucker I. may opt for a yawn as well to force the hazard damage but what can I say I like slow king the best of them all in practice which is odd because I expected to like him the least.

Edit: Galvantula has really good synergy with an offensive swam pert. With galvantula carrying bug buzz and a resistance to grass he can generally switch in well and ohko with the bug buzz. Aldo if the rare flying type comes out to try to out speed him its good to assume its got a scarf. Switch into a steel getting it stuck into a brave bird force the switch and bring galvantula back out. Swampert does a good job of resisting rock and fire types coming in in galvantula like scarfedcanine and others I can't think of. Not to mention swampert can be a suprise and the trapped choicer can be used for easy setup which is an odd choice in Swampert.

Well I'm in again, ill for sure try Slowking but i might get around to all three

alt: King Neptune

gonna mess around and maybe use all of them, but for sure yanmega.

entering on my alt IC 2118, the witch-head nebula ;)

While I havent been participating "officially" I just built a team utilizing yanmega and DAMN! I am in love with the Choice Specs Tinted Lens set. The fact it can 3HKO snorlax(our only special wall in this tier not named umbreon) after rocks. Its not even the fact that teams are yanmega weak its just that when yanmega is in against something it outspeeds, something for sure is gonna die. And whats even more surprsing is its bulk. seriously there's no need to play yanmega like its an alakazam. It can take a couple of hits from walls. Ive made a team called special attacker galore, and just add tons of special attackers and let yanmega take down every special wall in the tier with no resistance back. DAMNIT I LOVE IT!!

Hello,

These Research Weeks are fun (not specifically the UU ones, in general), and I'd like to participate in this one. However, I do not know how to "make a fresh alt." Can somebody explain how to so I can participate?

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
It's really simple, you just pick a new name on the teambuilder and access the server like that.

Oh, thank you kokoloko.

In that case, I will play only with Yanmega on TemporaryAlt1. However, I'd love to hear what others have to say about the other two!!!

Most people seem to like using special Yanmega, but I've find a physical LO Speed Boost variant to be a fairly good revenge killer. Along with that, I've found Hariyama and Arcanine to be great partners for Yanmega, covering weaknesses and benefiting from the presence of Yanmega's counters (use Yanmega as a Fire-type lure, switch to Arcanine, activate Flash Fire, use a STAB move).

New question: I started laddering on the Pokemon Online server--do I need to switch to the Smogon server?

kokoloko

Yes, you do.

Also, please stop double posting. This is the third time you do it. I sent you a VM yesterday telling you how to edit new information into your previous posts.

Most people seem to like using special Yanmega, but I've find a physical LO Speed Boost variant to be a fairly good revenge killer. Along with that, I've found Hariyama and Arcanine to be great partners for Yanmega, covering weaknesses and benefiting from the presence of Yanmega's counters (use Yanmega as a Fire-type lure, switch to Arcanine, activate Flash Fire, use a STAB move).
So im curious why your using physical moves on yanmega? Its special attack is way higher than its physical attack and on top of that its physical moves are weaker than its special moves. Its strongest physical move is U-turn and if you decide to stay in its strongest Base power move is 60 + STAB. And thats coming from a 76 Attack base power move. And there's no real surprise factor coming from yanmega being physical as they wont even do as much damage to special walls. So what benefits are there to using the physical sets over the special sets?

While I havent been participating "officially" I just built a team utilizing yanmega and DAMN! I am in love with the Choice Specs Tinted Lens set. The fact it can 3HKO snorlax(our only special wall in this tier not named umbreon) after rocks. Its not even the fact that teams are yanmega weak its just that when yanmega is in against something it outspeeds, something for sure is gonna die. And whats even more surprsing is its bulk. seriously there's no need to play yanmega like its an alakazam. It can take a couple of hits from walls. Ive made a team called special attacker galore, and just add tons of special attackers and let yanmega take down every special wall in the tier with no resistance back. DAMNIT I LOVE IT!!
I agree, Specs Lens is just too good, and there are plenty of switch in opportunities with a quad resist to grass and fighting. I like to put Sleep Talk on the choice sets since you get perfect coverage with Bug Buzz/ Air Slash anyways, and having a sleep absorber can win you games.

There are three main advantages to physical sets:

1. Most people think Yanmega will be Tinted Lens and Specs.
2. Life Orb/Focus Sash + Reversal
3. U-turn for switches and momentum, helpful for teams that heavily employ entry hazards

kokoloko

Nah, you're good.

There's still a couple more days left in this RG, guys. VM me with suggestions for the next one if you'd like!

Nas

Banned deucer.
Current thoughts on Yanmega: not much has changed since I last played it in Gen IV UU before it was banned, except now there's no Chansey. Specs tinted lens is definately the way to go, it tears teams apart.

3. U-turn for switches and momentum, helpful for teams that heavily employ entry hazards
So what if people expect tinted lens Yanmega? I laddered for a couple hours yesterday and nobody was prepared for it, even teams with Registeel/Snorlax didn't expect to get 3HKOed by Bug Buzz. I also ran into a few other teams using Yanmega, and all were speed boost variants. Using a focus Sash and Reversal is a joke, priority and sand teams are everywhere and Yanmega isn't getting past any walls with a physical set.

1. So what if they expect tinted lens specs or even speed boost. As long as yanmega is using special attacks its hitting harder than any of its physical moves.

2. Life orb reversal thats a big LOL. what are u really gonna hit with that? And yanmega isnt the type of poke who ends up with low hp. With SR, sand and previous hits.

3. Yanmega can add uturn to any of its special sets with the same result. And Life orb + uturn. On a poke like yanmega is not advisable cause of SR and Lo recoil. U limited urself to only two switch ins

Okay, okay, physical Yanmega is gimmicky, you guys win.

I made two teams with a physical LO Yanmega, I may post them, and may make a third team with Specs Tinted Lens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)