Gen4 CAP Pre-Evolution Rules & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Hello and welcome! As many of you read in this thread, we are going to officialize the generation 4 CAP pre-evolutions as a community. In order to do so, I figured it would be wise to have a place to create them; thus, this subforum was created. It used to be the Analysis Workshop subforum, but we seldom used it. Now that it's refurbished into the CAP Pre-Evolution Workshop subforum, we can get to work.

To preface how this will function, I'd like to lay down a few ground rules:

• Flavor is the only priority when it comes to creating these pre-evolutions. We need to make sure that literally everything we do is done with the purpose of creating plausible and believable Pokemon. We absolutely do not want to mess with the Gen4 CAPs in any way, so we need to make sure our flavor choices are accurate in terms of what we'd expect from a real Pokemon. I cannot emphasize how important this is, really. We won't stand for pre-evolutions that are drastically different from what should be expected of a typical Pokemon. Changing more than one ability, creating clashing movepool with the fully evolved CAP, and changing more than one typing will be strictly prohibited, to name a few no-nos.

Going hand in hand with this point, we need to understand that viability in the Little Cup metagame does not matter. If fact, I am hoping that we form our pre-evolutions to cover a wide spectrum of viability. For example, some pre-evolutions should be probably perform poorly in the LC metagame, while others should do quite well. How viable they are does not matter; flavor is our top and only priority. Where they fall in Little Cup is not our concern in the slightest.

• We must be historically accurate. Through this process, we're going to do a lot of perusing through the CAP Process Archive to learn as much as we possibly can about what exists on the Gen4 pre-evolutions. We will also be referring to it frequently to make our flavor portions as accurate as possible by looking at the process of each Gen4 CAP. I'd recommend getting acquainted with this subforum; we're going to be using it a lot.

Another point to consider historically is that the current Pre-Evo Process didn't exist in Gen4. Rather, designs were submitted and proposed in a much looser fashion. Breezi and Voodoom, for example, were largely designed by a single artist (Cartoons! and DougJustDoug respectively) simply as an extra flavor add-on. Others, like Collosshale, was created as more of a community effort. Regardless of their origin, these designs have become integrated into the community's mindset and widely accepted. For that reason, there won't be any editing or changing of their artistic designs. Rather, we'll be focusing on what isn't set in stone (movepool, Pokedex, ability, etc) for the duration of this project.

• Everything will be done as a community. These pre-evolutions are going to be run much like a typical CAP, process and all. However, there are already puzzle pieces filled in for us; they all have sprites, artwork, and names! What we'll be doing as a community is widely dependent on what isn't currently decided upon (remember that CAP ASB holds no water with this project). It will be publicly announced what is and what isn't completed for each CAP pre-evo at the start of its officializing so that everyone is on the same page. Then, it will be the community's job to discuss and vote on the missing puzzle pieces to create our final product.

That's about all I have for now. Each process will be run by a Topic Leader of sorts; their responsibilities will include posting topics in the process and selecting slates. I'll be heading up the first process with Syclar, the pre-evolution to Syclant. If you want to get a head start, Syclant's process started here, so I'd recommend reading up if you have the time. The purpose of this thread is to ask me and the other CAP moderators about any questions you have about this pre-evolution officializing process. If you have any suggestions or thoughts, feel free to post them here. Thanks for your time; I can't wait to get started on this!

That they need stats is obviously, but do they need BOTH Gen4 AND a Gen5 movepool/abilitypool or only the Gen5 ones???

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I can't say with 100% certainty what the plan is, but since the CAPs themselves, with the exception of their sprites, were never updated to gen 5, I would assume that, other than sprites, everything we do will be 4th gen only, at least for now.

Do they all have artwork? I've only seen sprites...

Anyways, I've been lurking for a while now, and since this is flavor-centered, it may be easier to start contributing.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
That they need stats is obviously, but do they need BOTH Gen4 AND a Gen5 movepool/abilitypool or only the Gen5 ones???
jas61292 is absolutely correct; these pre-evolutions will be created for Gen4 for the time being. I know there have been discussions of updating 4th Gen CAPs to the new generation. However, that isn't our concern with this project. Again, or goal is to create believable and realistic Gen4 CAP pre-evolutions, from utilizing a Gen4 movepool to making D/P/P style Pokedex entries. Sorry for the confusion.

Do they all have artwork? I've only seen sprites...

Anyways, I've been lurking for a while now, and since this is flavor-centered, it may be easier to start contributing.
Most do indeed have artwork. If they don't have artwork, then we can draw up some supplementary art if we feel like it to compliment the sprite. We'll take it step by step as the project goes. For Syclar, there is definitely artwork; check it out:

And I'm glad that you'll be joining us! This project is open to all users, so I am hoping we'll see plenty of new faces throughout these processes. Make sure to PM a CAP moderator (or check out this thread) if you have further questions. Welcome aboard!

Should we just post ideas we have for the pre-evos here? Like that Syclar should evolve into Syclant at level 37 or 14 or whatever?

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Should we just post ideas we have for the pre-evos here? Like that Syclar should evolve into Syclant at level 37 or 14 or whatever?
More detailed threads on the specific parts of the prevos will be upcoming shortly, so you can wait until those are up and post your ideas in the appropriate threads. This thread itself is more for questions or comments on the pre-evo making process itself.

First of all, let me say: I love Nocturine. Awesome-weird little creature.

Second, do we have stat rules about the prevos? Like, are we never going to make a prevolution that is much faster than its evolved form, or something? I can think of a few examples of that one in the official game (Anorith, maybe Numel).

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I would assume that is down to how people want the stats to look. As you say there are a few examples of Pokémon getting slower after they evolve. Most CaPs seem to be the sort of Pokémon who would get faster when they evolve.

We kinda want to keep "LC" considerations out... But people will try for them anyway.

Is there anything a non-artistic, CAP lover such as myself can do? Even the smallest of things I would love to try and help with this project :D
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, please feel free to delete this post if need be...

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Is there anything a non-artistic, CAP lover such as myself can do? Even the smallest of things I would love to try and help with this project :D
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, please feel free to delete this post if need be...
heck yes! We need movepools, stats, typings, dex entries, i might even be missing some other things too. Stay tuned!

Is there anything a non-artistic, CAP lover such as myself can do? Even the smallest of things I would love to try and help with this project
^this. Flavor is one of my favorite things about CAP. I'd love to creat Dex entries or something lke that if you need someone.
EDIT: Ninja'd

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So I've spent most of the day trying to find/tidy up stuff that I had found before on the rest of the CaP Prevolutions. This has taken me a fair amount of time to track down, and there is a lot of segmented/broken up information that I haven't been able to find or even source from anywhere.

Breezi - Typing Poison/Flying (I think) (Breezie/Breezee/Breezy)
Images
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1408156&postcount=185

Ability Ideas – Own Tempo -> Vital Spirit
Unburden (into Persistant)/Run Away/Oblivious/Unaware/Early Bird

Evolution Ideas - Evolution at Level 26 (X-Act), Evolve Via Level Up holding Iron Ball

Basic Movepool by X-Act
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1408731&postcount=66
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1409075&postcount=80

Rebble & Boulderdash (?)

Images

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1594710&postcount=11

Seems to be all I can find on these two little critters. Just the single image. The rest is from the sprites below, but I would assume they also have the single Rock typing that Stratagem has.

Privatyke

This is literally the only thing I could find for Privatyke. I assume Cartoons! Might have some sketches somewhere but where I have no idea.

Nohface

Nohface’s design was voted by the community in this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3457785

Monohm and Duohm (Duclohm)

I have seen many different spelling of Duohm's name. I am certain at some point it has been corrupted and broken down and now there are several variants of the name in use.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1961089&postcount=126

Mix of CyberZero and Kensinkae’s work came out to be the prevo designs for Cyclohm.

These two sprites are from Wyverii’s CaPmon sprite revamping thread, no idea if they are up to date, but they are certainly nicely done.

Colosshale

Cartoons! Again came up with this sprite for Collosoil’s prevo. I believe the typing is supposed to be Dark/Water or something similar, there are also a fair few arguments for “Yellow Submarines” to be used as shiny sprites!

http://www.smogon.com/forums/group.php?&do=discuss&groupid=19&discussionid=&gmid=1311#gmessage1311 seems to have been a fair amount of discussion here. There are some suggestions for stats spreads and artwork for 2 prevo’s, I have no idea when it was decided to be just one. I can't seem to find any evidence as to when it was decided that one prevo would be all Collosoil gets.

Krillowatt’s prevo

As far as I am aware, there are *many* different sprites/designs and names having been put forward for this particular line. I do not think *anything* has been super defined and voted on for a solid design. Many of the designs and names are in Wyverii’s Sprite update thread.

This is the image that Wyverii has, but I do not know if this is 100% official or not. Protowatt, Attowatt, Plicowatt etc have all been suggested as names.

EDIT: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3456401 found a name/design poll but the winning poll option art link is dead...

Voodoll

I assume Doug may have some other artwork around. I can't find much past this sprite which was done my Sgt.Woodsy.

EDIT: Thanks Menshay, good find on the Voodoll artwork!

And then thus post by DougJustDoug: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2844719&postcount=504

Birkal, if anything here is wrong feel free to update it, but this should give us some idea on what to work from. the amount of information is fairly small I know, but it's the best I could do.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
I couldn't find a shiny for Privatyke. Idk if I'm not looking in the right places or not, but regardless I made one.

I like pink. Vitalimar would be proud. The beak seems way too bright for some reason. Ah well, I tried.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Wyverii's made a Monohm front sprite animation, I just found out.

I believe pre-evos without a complete set of sprites will have those to be created and voted upon, so hold onto your shinies!

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
We're making these Pokemon one-at-a-time (or two-at-a-time if the CAP has two pre-evolutions), one step at a time. The current Pre-Evolution going on is Malaconda's pre-evolution (currently unnamed) and that process is currently ongoing in the main CAP forum. We're currently submitting names and sprites for that Pokemon, so if you feel like jumping right in you can think up a name or if you're artistically inclined you can submit/critique some sprites!

I'm leading those processes, so if you have any logistical questions go ahead and ask!

Is there a collection or something where all of these pre-evos are listed, or is it only here? On the official reference in the main page, there are only the 5th Gen CAPs.
Also, will these ever be implemented in the game, or are they just for show?

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
These are just for show, they're not going to be implemented into Pokemon Showdown or the like. This is the only place the prevos are listed IIRC.

Something I noticed in the Pre-EnCAPlopedia that was probably just forgotten but... Neither Scratchet nor Necturine have a set method of evolution. All the other completed Pre-evos have their methods, but these two seem to have been forgotten. Will that be fixed, maybe in a quick one day poll, or simply someone making an executive decision on a level to evolve them at, or will they just remain without any set means of evolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)