Team Dr. Strangelove

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to another team by yours truly! So this has been my go to team for some months, but I believe its definitely out of date now. This team was made when Genesect was originally released into the OU metagame. I had played Dreamworld a fair amount prior to Genesect's release so I knew how it played, specifically I knew everyone and their mother would use its Choice Scarf set. With that in mind I decided to create an offensive team based around abusing the omnipresent Choice Scarf Genesect. The origins of the team also stretch to a core of sweepers I had always wanted to try in OU. Salamence and Keldeo; I wanted to recreate the magic that was 4th Gen Salamence and Suicune. When I laddered with this team before the ladder reset to allow Garchomp in OU, I peaked around Top 5 on my alt Dr. Strangelove(hence the name). I've also used it, or variations of it in a lot of my tournament matches. Posting this now because of the cool new RMT of the Week being hosted by Jirachi, great idea! Onto the team!

PS. I used this team to win the Pass The Trash II Tournament.

Team Preview

The Willpower Pokemon

Azelf @
(Focus Sash)
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Explosion
- U-turn

Overview:
While there is no "Lead Metagame" like there has been in prior generations, I still find offensive teams to work best when they have a Pokemon who leads off the battle, and provides optimum support and momentum. This spot has been filled with many 'mons including, Mew, Terrakion, Aerodactyl and Deoxys-D. But throughout those trials I always ended up back with reliable Azelf. This set should not be hard to understand for any veteran of a Pokemon battle. Azelf's game plan is, the majority of the time, lay Stealth Rock, use Explosion, and it does a wonderful job at that. I chose Azelf because of the rise of SR-Taunt Terrakion. Both Salamence and Thundurus-T are much scarier when Stealth Rock is not on the field, plus having my own allows my sweepers to do even more damage. U-Turn is there for when I suspect a Deoxys-D to have Magic Coat. Azelf tends to, more often than not, leave me in a good position early game.

The Colt Pokemon

Keldeo-Resolution @
(Leftovers)
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Overview:
The criminally underused Keldeo makes its way onto my team. One of the main reasons I made this team was to try out the core of Keldeo/Salamence. In 4th Gen one of my favorite cores was Offensive CM Suicune and MixMence and with Keldeo released I saw an opportunity to recreate that old core for the better! Keldeo finds many chances to set up in the OU metagame, and once it has the opponent's team is in for a world of hurt. Rain teams in particular are man handled by Keldeo once threats such as Tornadus-T and Lati@s are properly taken care of. I chose HP Ice over HP Ghost for Ice's better Super Effective coverage. HP Ice allows Keldeo to OHKO Breloom, Dragonite, Salamence, and heavily damage others like Amoonguss. I have flip flopped to HP Ghost before though due to how annoying Jellicent can become to this team.

How it abuses Scarf Genesect:
Keldeo sets up on many of Scarf Genesect's choiced moves, such as Ice Beam, Flamethrower, and Bug Buzz. Also due to the nature of Calm Mind Keldeo can quickly become hard for Genesect to revenge even with Super Effective moves like Thunderbolt and Giga Drain. Lures Thunderbolts for Thundurus-T to set up on, and Giga Drains for many others.​

The Dragon Pokemon

Salamence (F) @
(Lum Berry)
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower

Overview:
One of the, in my opinion, best sweepers in the current metagame! DD-Moxie-Outrage Salamence was hyped a lot in the days prior to BW2's release but since then the only other person I've seen use it is Taylor. Salamence finds many free turns, due to everyone expecting it to be Choice Scarfed. All it takes is one turn to transform Salamence into a killing machine. At +1 Outrage does sweet damage and the opponent better pray they don't death fodder something to this because once the ball starts rolling its near impossible to stop. The beauty of this beast was that in this team's hay day the only Choice Scarfer people ran was Genesect, and Genesect ain't stoppin' this dragon. Flamethrower was chosen over Fire Blast to guarantee the KO on Genesect; what's the point in out speeding it if Fire Blast can just miss and allow it to finish you.

How it abuses Scarf Genesect:
It sets up on many of Scarfed Genesect's moves, such as Flamethrower, Bug Buzz, and Giga Drain. Plus as I mentioned before, Genesect can't revenge it once Salamence is at +1. Lures Ice Beams to allow Keldeo and Lucario to set up.​

The Aura Pokemon

Lucario (F) @
(Life Orb)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Bullet Punch

Overview:
It seems everyone's forgotten about Lucario is the jump to BW2 but its still proving itself by sweeping people 6-0. Everyone knows how threatening Lucario is at +2 so I won't go into that, the reason I chose Lucario over other, probably better, 'mons was because of it's typing. I had Breloom originally in this slot but I found its Ice-type weakness led to too many problems for the team as a whole, so I went to the similar Lucario. Lucario is still very threatening, but it needs a lot more support than it used to. The main culprit is, unfortunately Genesect, as it resists Lucario's priority, along with other Pokemon like Landorus-T. But due to my team's nature of abusing Genesect I found Lucario to fit in quite well. Bullet Punch was chosen over Crunch because of Gengar and Terrakion checking Lucario otherwise. While again this makes me weaker to a well played Jellicent I believe, due to the metagame's hyper offensive nature, the ability to better handle offensive Pokemon better trumps the ability to handle defensive Pokemon.

How it Abuses Scarf Genesect:
It can set up on the weakened Bug- and Ice-type moves, such as Bug Buzz and Ice Beam. It also "abuses" Genesect by forcing it to lock itself into a Choiced move to revenge kill it. This move can then by used by my other team members to set up. Lures Flamethrowers to allow Keldeo and Salamence to set up.​

The Bolt Strike Pokemon

Thundurus-Therian (M) @
(Life Orb)
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Overview:
Double Dance Thundurus-T! I know Aldaron's been hyping it in the OU subforum so I'm glad I'm not the only one loving this set! It's so powerful and mixes the best of everything Thundurus has to offer. At first I simply ran NP Thundurus-T but quickly found it not carrying its weight. It destroyed any defensive team, but when you only saw one defensive team for every ten offensive teams it didn't matter. So I tried Agility over Focus Blast and never looked back. One of the best parts of Thundurus-T is its Electric-type immunity. Usually against Deoxys-D I'll U-Turn from Azelf into this beast. Having something that can guarantee set up on Thunder Wave Deoxys-D is huge for an offensive team. I can't count how many teams I've managed to get +2, +2 on, simply because no one sees it coming. Once thats happened its very hard to recover. Again, there are many times when Focus Blast is missed but in the end of the say I believe this move set works best.

Sets up on locked moves such as Thunderbolt, Bug Buzz and Giga Drain. If it can get off an Agility, Genesect can no longer properly revenge. Lures Ice Beams for Keldeo and Lucario to set up.​

The Paleozoic Pokemon

Genesect @
(Life Orb)
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

Overview:
Rock Polish Genesect is, again in my opinion, the best sweeper in the current metagame. While it may be countered hard by Heatran, with the right support this Steel creature pulls off more 6-0s than any other. Genesect was chosen because it's Genesect and everyone should probably be running a Genesect :D The moveset is pretty standard, though when I was laddering with this team no one expected Giga Drain. Life Orb was also chosen over Expert Belt because of the extra damage really mattering one more than one occasion. Expert Belt is fun and being able to bluff the Choice Scarf all game is great but with my team I never needed to bluff more than once, so Life Orb took the cake.​

Sets up on weak Choice locked moves like Bug Buzz and Thunderbolt, and even Ice Beams every now and then. After a Rock Polish, a Choice Scarfed Genesect can only hope to revenge; though its funny how many times people brought one in because they thought I didn't carry Flamethrower. It also lures Choice locked Flamethrowers for Salamence and Keldeo to set up on.​

Final Look

So that's my team, it was built to abuse opposing Scarf Genesect's to the fullest and during its prime time I believe it did just that. With the introduction of Garchomp and Kyurem-B though this team hasn't been performing like it used to, I think its because people no longer solely rely on Choice Scarf Genesect to do their revenging. While this team is strong, no questions it still has its troubles. The two big ones are Tornadus-T and Jellicent. I never really understood why this team wasn't absolutely destroyed by the former but regardless. Jellicent can also be a major downer as it hard walls two of my sweepers.

Importable:
Azelf @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Explosion
- U-turn

Keldeo-Resolution @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Salamence (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower

Lucario (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Bullet Punch

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Genesect @ Life Orb
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

~Will rate for Luvdiscs~

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Hey!

This looks like a pretty solid team. The only thing I see wrong are that, unless you can get a RP / Agility up, scarfers will easily pick members of you're team. For this reason, I suggest you go with Scarf Salamence, so you can still maintain it's power, only you have a solid revenge killer and you can actually maintain an offensive speed tier. Also, I would go with lead Aerodactyl over Azelf here. I know I suggested it to the last team I rated, however, it fits really nicely here because TTar doesn't fuck it, which basically means that it won't get SR up and Mence can come in as much as he wants. On Keldeo, I don't see how HP Ice is superior to Icy Wind at all. The power difference is never noticeable, and the lowered speed on things like Dragonite is really worth the replacement.

It isn't much, but the speed tier is very important since things like Scarf Latios shit on you, and Scarf Keldeo, and Scarf Terrakion, and even Chloro sweepers. My changes should help with these problems, and also guarantee rocks on TTar (as you'l want to taunt it, but fear CB Crunch using Azelf). GL

Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 160 Atk / 164 SAtk / 144 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast

The lack of power in max attack isn't noticeable since it doesn't hit anything noticeable, and hitting Genesect is well worth it!

EDIT: Oh and I have to ask, did you like Inheritance? :o

Stone RG

Megas are broke
That is what i call generic Hyper Offense, with the exception of Deoxys D of course, SR +5 sweepers seem to work hell incredible in the current meta, but anyways onto the rate.

I find the team quite good, with only 1 defensive threat standing up, and that is SubProtect Gliscor, not that it isnt a bitch for every team out there, but Salamence and Lucario is just begging to be set-up for Gliscor, as long as you dont have at least 1 DD/SD up (i dont know, a double switch or a double down, im probably exaggerating). For that reason im reccomending a minor change, on Genesect: changing Life Orb for Expert Belt, that way youre not getting LO stalled, and that moveset has good SE coverage on most teams, and switching the EV spread to 252 SpA/136 HP/120 Spd, you outrun Scarf Latios and can take an LO hurricane from nadus after rocks damage.

Hope i helped :]

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey there,

Just want to start by saying that I would keep Life Orb on Genesect. Life Orb really helps with power, as Giga Drain is kinda weak, and it can also be somewhat offset by Giga Drain's healing. It also helps immensely with Genesects wall breaking power. Now like you mentioned, Tornadus-T in the rain is incredibly deadly as it can come in and spam Hurricanes with little fear. I would recommend making Keldeo a Choice Scarf spread to help with this. In BW2 offensive teams need all the speed they can get, and a Scarf Keldeo will help with your lack of it. Scarf Keldeo gives you a lot of revenge killing capabilities as well, being one of the fastest scarfers in the metagame. Hope these suggestions are helpful, GL!

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hydro Pump

You should probably have something to deal with LO Tornadus-T, which wrecks 5 of your 6 mons. If you switch in Genesect, their special wall will come in, and your rock polish will be rather meaningless, particularly if you get an attack boost, as Genesect is rather weak then. But yeah, LO Tornadus-T under rain absolutely demolishes 5 of 6 members of this team. 6 of 6 really, but it probably wouldn't stay in against Genesect, as it would expect scarf.

Also, Mamoswine. Always trouble for teams that expect to just put powerful Pokemon together and expect to win. I too enjoy that style of just "hey, what's powerful, let's put 6 of them," but then you run into those OU Metagame checks and get owned. So, if you're okay with that, don't change the team. Otherwise, good job. :)

Hey man ! This team is amazing ! I really love it !

It's funny to use and very effective ! The only change that i do is Expert Belt over Life Orb on Genesect because he have a good movepool that can abuse that item, fakes a Choice set and don't risk to get down due to recoil.
Then about the scarf problem, i see that most teams carry pretty much always only one scarf mon and you have always a resistor of the choiced attack, so you can switch with a bit of predict or sacking the actual mon in play. Other then that, you have 3 pokemons that can boost their speed (and two can boost to insane levels after a turn of setup) so if you can setup with one of them, your problems are pratically solved and you can pretty much always setup thanks to the resistances and types of the mons.

Seriously, this team is fantastic ! Luvdisc'd ;D

Hi Man, Gr8 team

Not much to say here because the team is really good and changing much would mess it up but i would like to second the Scarf Salamence suggestion given by Shrutugal as it acts as a solid revenge killer. Surprises people who think you're running the standard moxie set and acts as a great late game sweeper. After a single KO you have successfully got a DD boost anywayz without running the risk of trying to get a DD boost without working about somebody faster KO'ing you

Thats it :)

I'm guessing you leaned to stop worrying and love the bomb? XD

The main problem I see here is that most of your team requires setting up to do its job. What happens if the opponent doesn't let you set up with, say, a tornadus-t. This can get dangerous, as it means Scarf poke's have a chance to poke holes in your team. So, having one of your pokes (ether Genesect or Salamence) scarfed will do you a lot of good.

It's also my Birthday today :D (Turning 17).

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Big reply post incoming:

Hey!

This looks like a pretty solid team. The only thing I see wrong are that, unless you can get a RP / Agility up, scarfers will easily pick members of you're team. For this reason, I suggest you go with Scarf Salamence, so you can still maintain it's power, only you have a solid revenge killer and you can actually maintain an offensive speed tier. Also, I would go with lead Aerodactyl over Azelf here. I know I suggested it to the last team I rated, however, it fits really nicely here because TTar doesn't fuck it, which basically means that it won't get SR up and Mence can come in as much as he wants. On Keldeo, I don't see how HP Ice is superior to Icy Wind at all. The power difference is never noticeable, and the lowered speed on things like Dragonite is really worth the replacement.

It isn't much, but the speed tier is very important since things like Scarf Latios shit on you, and Scarf Keldeo, and Scarf Terrakion, and even Chloro sweepers. My changes should help with these problems, and also guarantee rocks on TTar (as you'l want to taunt it, but fear CB Crunch using Azelf). GL

Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 160 Atk / 164 SAtk / 144 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast

The lack of power in max attack isn't noticeable since it doesn't hit anything noticeable, and hitting Genesect is well worth it!

EDIT: Oh and I have to ask, did you like Inheritance? :o
Hey Shurtugal! While scarfers look very threatening, they are actually seen as a good thing for this team. When a scarfer locks themselves into a move they allow another of my pokemon to set up.

The Aerodactyl idea is actually growing on me a lot. I kinda wanna experiment with a psuedo-suicide lead Aero. By that I mean it would be a suicide lead most times, but if I saw a Tornadus-T in the opponents team I could use it to combat that. If it gives me more Torn coverage I'm down. I seriously don't get how this team wasn't weaker to Torn xD

I LOVED Inheritance!! I'd also love to hear what you thought of it :) I'll send you a vm or something, the ending was so cool :D

Stone RG said:
That is what i call generic Hyper Offense, with the exception of Deoxys D of course, SR +5 sweepers seem to work hell incredible in the current meta, but anyways onto the rate.

I find the team quite good, with only 1 defensive threat standing up, and that is SubProtect Gliscor, not that it isnt a bitch for every team out there, but Salamence and Lucario is just begging to be set-up for Gliscor, as long as you dont have at least 1 DD/SD up (i dont know, a double switch or a double down, im probably exaggerating). For that reason im reccomending a minor change, on Genesect: changing Life Orb for Expert Belt, that way youre not getting LO stalled, and that moveset has good SE coverage on most teams, and switching the EV spread to 252 SpA/136 HP/120 Spd, you outrun Scarf Latios and can take an LO hurricane from nadus after rocks damage.

Hope i helped :]
Eh, I went back and forth on Expert Belt, Life orb and found Life Orb always ended up winning. But thank you, also that EV spread is great! I'm definitely gunna use it :) If it helps with Torn, its a winner in my book. Thanks!

dragonuser said:
Hey there,

Just want to start by saying that I would keep Life Orb on Genesect. Life Orb really helps with power, as Giga Drain is kinda weak, and it can also be somewhat offset by Giga Drain's healing. It also helps immensely with Genesects wall breaking power. Now like you mentioned, Tornadus-T in the rain is incredibly deadly as it can come in and spam Hurricanes with little fear. I would recommend making Keldeo a Choice Scarf spread to help with this. In BW2 offensive teams need all the speed they can get, and a Scarf Keldeo will help with your lack of it. Scarf Keldeo gives you a lot of revenge killing capabilities as well, being one of the fastest scarfers in the metagame. Hope these suggestions are helpful, GL!
I've actually taken this rate to heart, Scarf Keldeo is now on the team thats kind of evolved from this team :) I decided I kinda needed a scarfer in the end of the day and Keldeo was the best bet. The problem with it was that it was the only set up sweeper who didn't boost Speed or pack priority. Plus Tornadus-T could just come in and wreck face :) Scarf Keldeo is amazing, thank you dragonuser!

To everyone else :) Thank you for leaving a comment, it means a lot when people find a team of mine to be good :D Remember, while a team like this may appear to Choice Scarfed Pokemon at first glance, its style of play is about sacking the right Pokemon at the right time, allowing others to set up and attempt to sweep.

Also Happy Late Birthday Aquasition

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Joeyboy, nice team!

This team is overall very solid, so I only have one very small suggestion. You may want to try moving the 4 remaining EVs into Special Defense on all your pokemon. This is primarily to help against Rock Polish Genesect, who can sweep your entire team at +2 when it has a Special Attack boost. Now, this may seem a bit ridiculous considering Genesect will be very, very hard pressed to find a set-up oppurtunity on your team, but you never know when you could be tricked a Choice item, be encored by Wobuffet, have to switch out etc. This can also be helpful, because usually when you lead with Azelf and your opponent leads with Genesect, it's likely they'll just U-Turn and take you down to sash, but you absolutely have to Taunt on the off chance that they're the Rock Polish variant. This means if they do indeed U-Turn, you won't get to use Stealth Rock, and they can just go out to something that outspeeds Azelf, or a sand / hail inducer and finish you off, meaning Azelf will have done absolutely nothing and the score will be 5-6. From now on you can just go straight for Stealth Rock, with the knowledge that if it's the worst case scenario and they are the Rock Polish variant, you can Explode, then go out to Thundurus-T or Keldeo, survive an unboosted Thunderbolt / Ice Beam and finish Genesect off.

Anyway, I hope this tiny rate helped and GL with the team! Luvdisc'd :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)