Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (CAP Edition) - Mark II (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Old thread got large, and was irrelevant and erroneous in places, with all the changes that have come to CAP since it was started.

Numel by Wyverii

Like most other forums, simple questions come up all the time. Please ask them here, rather than making new threads.

This is NOT a discussion thread.
  • Please consult the sticky threads and the CAP Website (specifically, the Newcomers Guide) before posting a question here. Most basic information is contained in them.
  • Do not ask non-CAP related questions in this thread. For general Pokémon help, see the Simple Question / Simple Answer thread in Stark Mountain.
  • Do not start discussions in this thread. This is for simple questions that are expected to have a simple answer. If your question is an open-ended discussion-starter, it will be moderated.
  • Do not continue discussions in this thread. Provide a simple answer to a posted simple question, or do not post at all. Do not go "back-and-forth" with posts. However, feel free to answer follow-up questions if they are also simple in nature.
  • This is not a place to post your ideas/concerns/problems/issues with the CAP project, simply because you "can't find any other place to post". If that is your reason for posting here, your post is almost certainly inappropriate here and will be moderated.
  • Do not ask "When is <X> going to start?", "When is <X> going to happen?" or any other questions related to future project occurences. The CAP project does not follow any set timelines, so don't ask questions about it. If you are asking about the overall future project direction, the answer is in the stickies, or it isn't a simple question. Either way, don't ask that stuff here.
  • Do not ask about EVO, or any other side projects that could come out of CAP.
  • No, you cannot submit new ideas for Pokemon. Check out the Newcomers Guide for more info.
  • All CAP Pokemon are "OU", no matter what usage they get in the CAP Metagame. The reason for this is that CAP Pokemon are designed for the OU metagame. Everything is tailored for the "CAP" in a vacuum. Thus, the usage in the full CAP Metagame is meaningless to our purpose.
This thread is for simple questions, and simple answers. It's very.... uh.... Numel-esque.

Common Questions:

Where do I find the sprites?

-Here: http://www.smogon.com/cap/server/connection_guide

Will CAPs be ported to the 5th gen?/What's going to happen with the 5th gen?

-We don't know. It all depends on how much the metagame changes.

What is the effect of Stratagem's Paleo Wave and has any other move been created and if not is there a chance this might happen again?

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Fuzznip said:
There are only two new moves that have been made, they are the following:

ShadowStrike - 80 base power / Ghost / 95 Acc / 10 PP / Physical / 50% chance to lower opponent's Defense by one stage.

Paleo Wave - 85 base power / Rock / 100 Acc / 15 PP / Special / 20% chance to lower opponent's Attack by one stage.
I'm not entirely clear on how the decision to make a new move is made, but there I am sure that there may be more in the future.

A new move is created when it is deemed that the pokemon's concept cannot be fulfilled without it. in Stratagem's case, a Rock-type special sweeper needed a solid STAB move, and Power Gem (a measly base 70 power) didn't fit the bill. Kitsunoh's case was similar (Shadow Claw is 70 base power) with a 50% defense drop to provoke switches, effectively scouting.

for example, if our next concept is "fire-typed scizor" (yes, I know it's a terrible concept) then we can safely assume that we will need to create a fire-type bullet punch.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's cool if people think he or she did a good enough job the first time. Someone attempting to run again will be under even more scrutiny though.

I have Mac OS X Leopard and I've been trying to get the CAP sprites. I tried all of the methods listed for downloading them (excluding the first one because there's no actual "Java" application listed on Macs), and nothing was successful. My quesion is, does anyone know of any alternate methods of installing them or is anyone aware of anything I might need to do first in order to get the sprites? I'm not sure if this was simple enough for this thread but I didn't want to start a whole new thread.

How to do a pokemon sprite?
Hm
Is there a program to do sprites?
These sprites have much details, so it cant be done by hand.
Is there a program you use to do sprites?

How to do a pokemon sprite?
Hm
Is there a program to do sprites?
These sprites have much details, so it cant be done by hand.
Is there a program you use to do sprites?
I hope that you want to know because you're an aspiring spriter for CAP >_>
Use paint to make sprites.

I was just reading the Arghonaut analysis and I was wondering, why is Bulk Up illegal with Recover?
They are egg moves both that can't come from the same parents. People thought the Bulk Up + Recover combo would be broken, so X-Act fixed this by making Bulk Up an egg move only.

This loosely qualifies as a "when does this start" in all likelihood, but how long does it usually take to transition from the start of a CAP into the actual concept submission?

This loosely qualifies as a "when does this start" in all likelihood, but how long does it usually take to transition from the start of a CAP into the actual concept submission?
Concept Submissions will begin once the PRC Team and the Topic Leader is chosen. So, I'd suggest waiting about a week or less until the thread is posted.

I have two more questions regarding the dexes on the CAP site...

Firstly, why do the Shiny Sprites for Syclant have a completely different pose to the non-shinies?
http://www.smogon.com/cap/pokemon/syclant

Secondly, Stratagem's Egg group is listed as "Genderless" which isn't actually an egg group at all. Should it be "No Eggs" or should it be in the Mineral Group or something, like Metagross (who also has no gender but can still breed with Ditto)?

I have two more questions regarding the dexes on the CAP site...

Firstly, why do the Shiny Sprites for Syclant have a completely different pose to the non-shinies?
http://www.smogon.com/cap/pokemon/syclant
I don't really know this, but I think it was done as a special something for the first CAP made.

Secondly, Stratagem's Egg group is listed as "Genderless" which isn't actually an egg group at all. Should it be "No Eggs" or should it be in the Mineral Group or something, like Metagross (who also has no gender but can still breed with Ditto)?
Maybe it is meant to be Mineral Group, instead of Genderless.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I understand that the Create-A-Pokemon process begins with choosing a Topic leader. The question is, who is qualified to be a topic leader? Does it have to be an official or anyone willing to lead the project and take full responsibility for the process thereof?

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DougJustDoug said:
Topic leaders should have the following qualifications:
  • Deep knowledge of the game of Pokemon
  • Familiarity with competitive Pokemon concepts, strategy and philosophy, as practiced within Smogon
  • Willing to voice opinions and lead others
  • Open-minded to new ideas
  • Creative, "outside-of-the-box" thinker
  • Good writing skills
  • Level-headed when resolving disputes
  • Liked and respected by the CAP community

Mmkay, yeah, this falls under the "too lazy to look through a crapload of past posts" category, but what were the 'concepts' each CAP was built around? I know a few already (Ultimate Scout for Kit, Break the Mold for Strata), but what about the other 6 past CAPs?

(just so I don't manage to repost an already-used concept when submission time comes)

Mmkay, yeah, this falls under the "too lazy to look through a crapload of past posts" category, but what were the 'concepts' each CAP was built around? I know a few already (Ultimate Scout for Kit, Break the Mold for Strata), but what about the other 6 past CAPs?

(just so I don't manage to repost an already-used concept when submission time comes)
You can find them all right here.

Just click Pokedex instead of Analysis, it will give you the information you're looking for. Syclant/Revenankh/Pyroak are the ones that didn't necessarily have concepts.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)

Because I was kinda interested as well, and the original concept for the pokemon was missing except the ones you mentioned (oh the irony), I decided to find them:
cap 6
cap 4
As fuzznip said caps 1-3 didn't really have concepts and you know seven and five. I just linked it to random threads from the relevant cap's that have the concept in the op.

About how long is the transition between concept submissions and concept polls?
It is completely up to the TL as to how long it will remain open. Please do not attempt to rush the TL while he guides us through the process, especially because this rendition of the process will be very different from previous ones.

I'm not sure this question belongs here but I know someone here must know the answer.

How do I give sprites a clear backround in Paint?

I'm not sure this question belongs here but I know someone here must know the answer.

How do I give sprites a clear backround in Paint?
The question doesn't generally belong here, but I'm going to assume you are going to use this knowledge to submit sprites to CAP. You can't do this with MS Paint, but you can with Photoshop or free alternatives such as Paint.NET and IrfanView.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)