Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (CAP Edition) - Mark II (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How do I become a topic leader? I have an idea for a new pokemon in OU gameplay.
There were topic leader nominations a little while ago, but usually only respected senior members are chosen. Anyway the topic leaders don't make the pokemon by themselves, the community votes on polls.

Is there any plans for CAPs to be made that are meant for the Ubers/UU/Little Cup environment in the future?

I don't expect them soon or anything, I'm just curious if it's been considered before.

we aren't really considering that at all. (that's not to say you can't use the current CAPs in ubers; kitsunoh in particular is quite viable)

also i bet fuzznip tries to post right after me but he's too slow 8)

Is there any plans for CAPs to be made that are meant for the Ubers/UU/Little Cup environment in the future?

I don't expect them soon or anything, I'm just curious if it's been considered before.
Nope.

The CAP project is for us to learn more about the OU metagame, rather than the ones you have mentioned.

EDIT: Beaten by Dan, but my answer is better! ;D

The weight for the pokemon in the CaPDex is in pounds, which is a problem, since the weight chart for Grass Knot (and Low Kick) is in KB... Maybe it should be changed to match, since that's the foremost reason that people will even look at weight.

tl;dr: Can we make it easier to check weight classes for CaPs for Grass Knot?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The weight for the pokemon in the CaPDex is in pounds, which is a problem, since the weight chart for Grass Knot (and Low Kick) is in KB... Maybe it should be changed to match, since that's the foremost reason that people will even look at weight.

tl;dr: Can we make it easier to check weight classes for CaPs for Grass Knot?
If you could quickly convert them I can easily add them on-site, just use google to do it.

Scylant: 52.1 kg
Revenankh: 43.9 kg
Pyroak: 167.8 kg
Fidgit: 52.9 kg
Scylant: 44.9 kg
Arghonaut: 151 kg
Kitsunoh: 50.8 kg
Cyclohm: 58.7 kg

I hope I didn't mess those up, but there we go. All the decimals are rounded down, but I don't think it should make a difference.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Thanks Xaquais. I'll need doug to make a small change in the website but its a minor fix (he needs to change a line of code from pounds to kgs). After that we can fix them.

I decided I wanted to try out the CAP server again since it's been a while since I've actually played there (the release of Arghonaut), so I went to update the sprites and such with the patch in the newcomer topic. However, I only got up to Kitsunoh. Cyclohm was not included when I downloaded the patch. Is there another patch somewhere that does include him?

I decided I wanted to try out the CAP server again since it's been a while since I've actually played there (the release of Arghonaut), so I went to update the sprites and such with the patch in the newcomer topic. However, I only got up to Kitsunoh. Cyclohm was not included when I downloaded the patch. Is there another patch somewhere that does include him?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1067808&postcount=2

Try that one?

In X-Act's Base Stat rating formula, how is the Speed Factor determined from the base speed?
i haven't looked at the formula myself, but from what i noticed it seems to be based on speed tiers. it also has the odd fact that after 151 speed, increasing the speed won't effect your BSR anymore allowing for a spread with 255 speed that has the same BSR as the exact same spread but with 151 speed.

any irc client will work. the "standard" one that most smogoners use is mirc. xchat and pidgin are also okay. if you have firefox, you can get an extension called chatzilla. the opera browser comes with an irc client built in. most of these are free and easy to find via google.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
whenever I see people show pictures of x-acts bsr calculator, their boxes where you enter the stats are much larger than mine. I have a mac, and i'm not sure how to resize the box.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have a mac, too, and I have the same problem. I also believe that there is nothing you or I can do about it other than asking X-Act to reprogram the box sizes, which is probably going to be a low-priority action. I don't think it's too much of a problem, though.

All CAP Pokemon are "OU", no matter what usage they get in the CAP Metagame. The reason for this is that CAP Pokemon are designed for the OU metagame. Everything is tailored for the "CAP" in a vacuum. Thus, the usage in the full CAP Metagame is meaningless to our purpose.
I'm new to CAP, and I just want to make sure I fully understand the concept of CAP. Each CAP pokemon is made for usage in OU without mention of any other CAP. Say Tyranitar was a CAP. When the building process leads up to the counters, one should not mention Arghonaut because it's another CAP? This would also mean that the full CAP metagame, where all CAPs are used, isn't as ballanced as the playtesting CAP metagame where only one CAP is used? I don't want to start a discussion, so 2 simple yes/nos will do. Thanks in advance.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm new to CAP, and I just want to make sure I fully understand the concept of CAP. Each CAP pokemon is made for usage in OU without mention of any other CAP. Say Tyranitar was a CAP. When the building process leads up to the counters, one should not mention Arghonaut because it's another CAP?
Yes, that is correct. We do not consider previous CAP pokemon when building a new CAP pokemon. We treat each new CAP as a singular addition to the OU metagame that is current at that time.

This would also mean that the full CAP metagame, where all CAPs are used, isn't as ballanced as the playtesting CAP metagame where only one CAP is used?
Yes, that is correct. The full CAP metagame, which is played on the server in between playtesting periods, is not necessarily balanced.

The purpose of the "full CAP metagame" is to provide an interesting diversion from OU, for players that frequent the CAP server. But the full CAP metagame is not something that we consider to be a primary part of the overall educational goal of the CAP project. We are not trying to build a new balanced metagame with multiple new pokemon. That would require considerably more work, planning, and processes than we can reasonably manage. The full CAP metagame is simply the byproduct that results from creating several individual CAP pokemon.

However, since there is a large number of server regulars that enjoy playing the full CAP metagame, you may see articles on the CAP website and threads in the forum that pertain to the CAP metagame. Also, we sometimes alter previous CAP pokemon to suit the desires of the server community. Sometimes changes are made to accommodate metagame changes, like HGSS. Other times we alter pokemon to make them more or less powerful in conjunction with other CAP pokemon. We call this the "CAP Revision Process". There are no rigid rules regarding revisions, since an overall balanced CAP metagame is not the focus of the CAP project. Revisions are normally conducted on an ad hoc basis, at the request of the CAP server community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)