Cresselia (Gen 4, Psycho Shift OU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/cresselia

With Cresselia’s recent fall into UU, I wanted to post this analysis for a Cresselia set that I’ve been using in OU for a while now. It works quite well and plays to Cresselia’s strength. Any edits or help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------

[SET]
name: Psycho Shift (OU)
move 1: Psycho Shift
move 2: Rest
move 3: Sleep Talk
move 4: Psychic / Ice Beam
item: Flame Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 60 SpD / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Two of Cresselia’s biggest problems have always been her lack of reliable recovery and her Pursuit weakness. This set attempts to remedy both problems while turning Cresselia into a sturdy RestTalker that passes status afflictions onto the opponent’s team.</p>

<p>Psycho Shift is the crux of the set and it offers Cresselia a unique kind of attack that can be used offensively or defensively, depending on the situation at hand. The idea is to switch into something that will likely be forced out in the face of Cresselia’s powerful defenses. Upon switching into battle, her Flame Orb will activate, letting Cresselia use Psycho Shift to inflict a burn status on the opposing Pokémon. This will make it extremely difficult for Pursuit users like Tyranitar and Scizor to defeat Cresselia the old fashioned way.</p>

<p>Despite the fact that the OU metagame is dominated by physical attackers, your opponent could just as easily switch in a special attacker and try to defeat Cresselia that way. This is where Rest and Sleep Talk play a very important role on this set. While sleeping under the effects of Rest, Cresselia will use Sleep Talk and have a one in three chance of selecting Psycho Shift. If this should occur and Cresselia selects Psycho Shift while asleep, her sleep affliction will be transferred to the opponent’s Pokémon, thus waking her and allowing you to switch to a proper counter or send out a set up sweeper.</p>

<p>Cresselia’s fourth and final move isn’t nearly as important as the rest of the set. It does, however, still deserve careful consideration. There are two viable options for the last move: Psychic and Ice Beam, both of which have their merits. Psychic seems to be the slightly better choice, offering a reliable STAB that hits Pokémon like Infernape, Heracross, and Machamp for super effective damage. It’s also worth noting that all of the aforementioned Pokémon have the potential to not worry about receiving a status ailment from Psycho Shift. Ice Beam on the other hand, has good Base Power and excellent offensive typing that will hit Dragon-types like Salamence and Flygon for super effective damage.</p>

<p>This particular Cresselia is best used on a defensive or more stall-oriented team, and as such, requires adequate team support to function as its best. One of the biggest threats to this set are Pokémon utilizing Taunt. Expert Belt Jirachi makes a great partner to Cresselia, since two of the most notable users of Taunt, Gyarados and Gliscor, will both fall to Thunderbolt and Ice Punch, respectively. This set can also run into problems against Pokémon using Substitute. Heatran gets a special mention since it resists both Psychic and Ice Beam, and is immune to being burned. For these reasons, it can be extremely useful to have a bulky phazer on your team. Suicune and Vaporeon make great Heatran counters and both can utilize Roar to get rid of troublesome Substitute users.</p>

<p>The EVs given are to ensure maximum bulk while outspeeding a few key threats. 252 HP EVs let Cresselia soak up hits from both sides of the spectrum. The 196 Speed EVs along with a Timid nature make you faster than the standard Taunt wielding Gyarados and Skarmory, but most importantly, you outspeed Adamant Lucario by a single point. The remaining EVs are poured into Special Defense to help Cresselia take some weaker special attacks better, like Celebi’s Grass Knot and Vaporeon’s Surf. Alternatively, if the rest of your team is relatively fast or you don’t feel the need to outspeed threats like Taunt Gyarados and Adamant Lucario, then a bulkier EV spread, 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD with a Calm nature, can be used. The HP and Defense EVs assure that you take little damage from Pokemon like Choice Scarf Flygon and bulky variants of Gyarados. Without Choice Specs, a Calm nature and 148 Special Defense EVs make it impossible for many powerful special attackers like Heatran, Latias, and Salamence to 2HKO Cresselia, factoring in Stealth Rock and a turn of damage from Flame Orb.</p>

This has already been mentioned in Other Options and I don't think that's the correct EV spread.

This has already been mentioned in Other Options and I don't think that's the correct EV spread.
This is different than what is suggested in the Other Options. You need to read the analysis. It would also explain why the EVs are as they are.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I must say this isn't written so great and I could point out the million reasons with it. On top of the rather "bleh" EV spread, you have no mentions of Heatran as a potential counter nor any Fire-type of any kind. Also putting it bluntly: why have 1/3 of a chance putting a Pokemon to sleep instead of... using Fissure (if it was legal) for example? Either way, this set doesn't have much merit IMO and MAYBE if someone else that has legitimately used this set.

In a tl;dr sense: closing due to lack of information / gimmicky.

This is different than what is suggested in the Other Options. You need to read the analysis. It would also explain why the EVs are as they are.
"<p>The EVs provided are to help Cresselia take hits from both sides of the spectrum. The EVs can be altered for more defensive bulk on one side, depending on what your team needs Cresselia to wall.</p>"

This is not an explanation. You need to specify what hits it allows you to take.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll reopen this for now, but the first thing I'd like done is a much more effecient EV spread and a mention of how Heatran toys with this set.

My only question is how Psycho Shift works if you're sleeping on the job.

Also, Heatran walls this set and doesn't care about being burnt. In fact, wouldn't it get a Flash Fire Boost from that?

Also, Heatran walls this set and doesn't care about being burnt. In fact, wouldn't it get a Flash Fire Boost from that?
With Sleep Talk, it can select Psycho Shift, which would transfer over the sleep. That would also help in the effectiveness against Heatran, though only 33% of the time.

"<p>The EVs provided are to help Cresselia take hits from both sides of the spectrum. The EVs can be altered for more defensive bulk on one side, depending on what your team needs Cresselia to wall.</p>"

This is not an explanation. You need to specify what hits it allows you to take.
I'll reopen this for now, but the first thing I'd like done is a much more effecient EV spread and a mention of how Heatran toys with this set.
Thanks guys. I added the Heatran threat and changed to a much better EV spread(s).

If Sleep Talk selects Psycho Shift while asleep than your sleep status is transferred onto the opposing Pokemon and you wake up.

He doesn't get burned; but he also doesn't receive a Flash Fire boost.

I have think Sheshi might have meant: When Psycho Shift transfers rest-based sleep, does it also pass on the sleep counter? As in, will the opponent only sleep off your remaining rest turns? Or does it pass a normal 1-4 turn sleep status? The answer to this is key to the viability of this set.

With Sleep Talk, it can select Psycho Shift, which would transfer over the sleep. That would also help in the effectiveness against Heatran, though only 33% of the time.
That's the main reason I omitted Heatran as a threat from my first draft of this analysis. Since Heatran cannot 2HKO without Specs (and even then it's not a guarantee), I felt that any Heatran set lacking Substitute would either be put to sleep or eventually outstalled by RestTalk.

I have think Sheshi might have meant: When Psycho Shift transfers rest-based sleep, does it also pass on the sleep counter? As in, will the opponent only sleep off your remaining rest turns? Or does it pass a normal 1-4 turn sleep status? The answer to this is key to the viability of this set.
I'm not sure that's what he meant. But to answer your question, when transferred, the sleep status passes by in the normal 1-4 turns fashion.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/cresselia

With Cresselia’s recent fall into UU, I wanted to post this analysis for a Cresselia set that I’ve been using in OU for a while now. It works quite well and plays to Cresselia’s strength. Any edits or help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------

[SET]
name: Psycho Shift (OU)
move 1: Psycho Shift
move 2: Rest
move 3: Sleep Talk
move 4: Psychic / Ice Beam
item: Flame Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 60 SpD / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Two of Cresselia’s biggest problems have always been her lack of reliable recovery and her Pursuit weakness. This set attempts to remedy both problems while turning Cresselia into a sturdy RestTalker that passes status afflictions onto the opponent’s team.</p>

<p>Psycho Shift is the crux of this set and it offers Cresselia a unique kind of attack that can be used offensively or defensively, depending on the situation at hand. The idea is to switch Cresselia into a Pokémon that will likely be forced out because of Cresselia’s huge defenses. Upon switching into battle, her Flame Orb will activate, letting Cresselia use Psycho Shift to inflict burn status on the opposing Pokémon. This will make it extremely difficult for Pursuit users like Tyranitar and Scizor to defeat Cresselia the old fashioned way.</p>

<p>Despite the fact that the OU metagame is dominated by physical attackers, your opponent could just as easily switch in a special attacker and try to defeat Cresselia that way. This is where Rest and Sleep Talk play a very important role on this set. While sleeping under the effects of Rest, Cresselia will use Sleep Talk and have a one in three chance of selecting Psycho Shift. If this should occur and Cresselia selects Psycho Shift while asleep, her sleep affliction will be transferred to the opponent’s Pokémon, thus awakening her and allowing you to switch to a proper counter or set up a sweeper of your own.</p>

<p>Cresselia’s fourth and final move isn’t nearly as important as the rest of the set. It does, however, still deserve careful consideration. There are two viable options for the last move: Psychic and Ice Beam, both of which have their merits. Psychic seems to be the slightly better choice, offering a reliable STAB boost that hits Pokémon like Infernape, Heracross, and Machamp for super effective damage. It’s also worth noting that all of the aforementioned Pokémon have the potential to not worry about receiving a status ailment from Psycho Shift. Ice Beam, on the other hand, has good Base Power and excellent offensive typing that will hit Dragon-types like Salamence and Flygon for super effective damage.</p>

<p>This particular Cresselia is best used on a defensive or more stall-oriented team, and as such, requires adequate team support to function as its best. One of the biggest threats to this set are Pokémon utilizing Taunt. Expert Belt Jirachi makes a great partner to Cresselia, since two of the most notable users of Taunt, Gyarados and Gliscor, will both fall to Thunderbolt and Ice Punch, respectively. This set can also run into problems against Pokémon using Substitute. Heatran gets a special mention since it resists both Psychic and Ice Beam, and is immune to being burned. For these reasons, it can be extremely useful to have a bulky phazer on your team. Suicune and Vaporeon make great Heatran counters and both can utilize Roar to get rid of troublesome Substitute users.</p>

<p>The EVs given are to ensure maximum bulk while outspeeding a few key threats. 252 HP EVs let Cresselia soak up hits from both sides of the spectrum. The 196 Speed EVs along with a Timid nature make you faster than the standard Taunt wielding Gyarados and Skarmory, but most importantly, you outspeed Adamant Lucario by a single point. The remaining EVs are poured into Special Defense to help Cresselia take some weaker special attacks better, like Celebi’s Grass Knot and Vaporeon’s Surf. Alternatively, if the rest of your team is relatively fast or you don’t feel the need to outspeed threats like Taunt Gyarados and Adamant Lucario, then a bulkier EV spread, 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD with a Calm nature, can be used. The HP and Defense EVs assure that you take little damage from Pokemon like Choice Scarf Flygon and bulky variants of Gyarados. Without Choice Specs, a Calm nature and 148 Special Defense EVs make it impossible for many powerful special attackers like Heatran, Latias, and Salamence to 2HKO Cresselia, factoring in Stealth Rock and a turn of damage from Flame Orb.</p>
Cool stuff. :)

Trick should be an option alongside Sleep Talk. Having the Flame Orb forever certainly does not help in the walling. If your ballzy, Rest can be slashed with Moonlight also.

Cool stuff. :)
I added most of your suggestions. Thanks for the edits; it helped a lot, especially in the last paragraph.

Trick should be an option alongside Sleep Talk. Having the Flame Orb forever certainly does not help in the walling. If your ballzy, Rest can be slashed with Moonlight also.
Trick isn't an option on this set because there's simply no room for it. By giving Cresselia Trick over Sleep Talk, it becomes helpless while it sleeps. Not only that, it becomes completely unable to pass its sleep status during Rest. Finally using Trick on something like Cresselia who relies on using support moves and not offensive power means that it will practically useless should it receive a Choice Item. Even something wielding a Choice Band like T-tar (who would be hindered by a Flame Orb) can still Pursuit Cresselia while it's locked into Trick. The point I'm trying to make is that having Psycho Shift and Trick on the same set (and in particular, this set) is a massive waste of Cresselia's potential.

Also, in regards to Moonlight, that may be an option if Cresselia was on a Sunny Day team. But generally, those teams are much more offensive (due to the 5-8 turns of Sun) and this particular Cresselia wouldn't fit well on such a team, and it takes away from RestTalk offering her a reliable form of recovery. Plus, without Rest, Flame Orb would continue to chip away as Cresselia's health. Not to mention, once again, it would be unable to pass its sleep status onto the opposing Pokemon.

Helpless? That's why you have a cleric to support her.

I used to use this set in D/P, it really does not work as well now since a lot of the metagame is hyper offensive. A Flame Orb Trickster is really rare and it also counters silly Trick Choice users with allowing a chance to mess up something else by possibly Tricking it back. Tricking the Flame Orb to Clerics like Blissey or Celebi makes it easier for the rest of your team to handle them. If you need proof of Trick's effectiveness just ask.

The EVs may have her outrun some things, but really you're not maximizing her amazing 120/120/130 Defenses. I'd go with a Bold or (more preferably) a Calm spread.

Besides Stalk Psycho Shift can break Sleep Clause in cartridge v. cartridge play, so... Yeah.

Helpless? That's why you have a cleric to support her.

I used to use this set in D/P, it really does not work as well now since a lot of the metagame is hyper offensive. A Flame Orb Trickster is really rare and it also counters silly Trick Choice users with allowing a chance to mess up something else by possibly Tricking it back. Tricking the Flame Orb to Clerics like Blissey or Celebi makes it easier for the rest of your team to handle them. If you need proof of Trick's effectiveness just ask.
Not really, Blissey and Celebi both have Natural Cure so a Flame Orb isn't that hindering. And a cleric isn't needed with this Cresselia since it uses Sleep Talk while asleep.

Finally, today's metagame leans way more towards Bulky Offense and Semi-Stall, not Hyper Offense.

The EVs may have her outrun some things, but really you're not maximizing her amazing 120/120/130 Defenses. I'd go with a Bold or (more preferably) a Calm spread.
Why? You didn't give any reasons for such a nature or even an offer an EV spread.

Taking 12.5% after the first turn each time they're in hurts, especially without Lefties recovery. Natural Cure doesn't stop them from getting burnt each time they come in. It hinders their walling ability a lot.

I'm doubting this set still. No smart player would ever switch a physical attacker into a burned cresselia. Does it REALLY need it's own set? I think just OO is fine, unless you want to prove me wrong with some logs

I'm doubting this set still. No smart player would ever switch a physical attacker into a burned cresselia. Does it REALLY need it's own set? I think just OO is fine, unless you want to prove me wrong with some logs
I think that's kind of the point. Nobody would want to switch their Scizor or Tyranitar into a burnt Cresselia unless they want to get smacked with burn status. This kind of Cresselia can really punish its counters. I've used it many times and it really isn't as bad as you may think.

As requested, here are some battle logs:

This one shows how durable and versatile Cresselia can be.

Code:
Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Soul Dew Clause
Megatrumpetdude. sent out Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).
Senzairu sent out Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert ?).
Senzairu switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!
Azelf used Taunt.
Tyranitar fell for the taunt!
The sandstorm rages.
Azelf is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Azelf lost 6% of its health.
---
Azelf used Reflect.
A barrier was formed!
Tyranitar used Crunch.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Azelf lost 94% of its health.
Megatrumpetdude.'s Azelf fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Megatrumpetdude. switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Senzairu switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Scizor's attack!
Scizor used Swords Dance.
Scizor's attack was sharply raised.
The sandstorm rages.
Salamence is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Salamence lost 6% of its health.
---
Scizor used Bullet Punch.
Salamence lost 89% of its health.
Scizor lost 10% of its health.
Salamence used Fire Blast.
It's super effective!
Scizor lost 90% of its health.
Megatrumpetdude.'s Scizor fainted.
Salamence lost 5% of its health.
Senzairu's Salamence fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Megatrumpetdude.: Stupid crit.
Megatrumpetdude.: I didn't get Stealth Rock up because of it.
Megatrumpetdude.: =(
Megatrumpetdude. switched in Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Senzairu switched in Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
Gyarados's intimidate cut Jirachi's attack!
Jirachi used Thunderpunch.
It's super effective!
Gyarados lost 40% of its health.
Gyarados used Dragon Dance.
Gyarados's attack was raised.
Gyarados's speed was raised.
The sandstorm rages.
Gyarados is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Gyarados lost 6% of its health.
---
Senzairu switched in Cresselia (lvl 100 Cresselia ?).
Cresselia makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Gyarados used Earthquake.
Gyarados's attack missed!
The sandstorm rages.
Cresselia is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Cresselia lost 6% of its health.
Cresselia was burned!
---
Gyarados used Waterfall.
Cresselia lost 47% of its health.
Gyarados lost 10% of its health.
Cresselia used Psycho Shift.
Gyarados was burned!
The sandstorm rages.
Gyarados was hurt by its burn!
Gyarados lost 12% of its health.
Cresselia was burned!
---
Gyarados used Waterfall.
Cresselia lost 23% of its health.
Gyarados lost 10% of its health.
Cresselia used Rest.
Cresselia fell asleep!
Cresselia restored 82% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Gyarados was hurt by its burn!
Gyarados lost 4% of its health.
Megatrumpetdude.'s Gyarados fainted.
---
Megatrumpetdude. switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Tyranitar used Dragon Dance.
Tyranitar's attack was raised.
Tyranitar's speed was raised.
Cresselia is fast asleep!
Cresselia used Sleep Talk.
Cresselia used Ice Beam.
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.
Tyranitar's reflect wore off!
The sandstorm rages.
---
Tyranitar used Dragon Dance.
Tyranitar's attack was raised.
Tyranitar's speed was raised.
Tyranitar fell asleep!
The sandstorm rages.
Cresselia was burned!
---
Senzairu switched in Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert ?).
Tyranitar is fast asleep!
The sandstorm rages.
---
Tyranitar is fast asleep!
Swampert used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 70% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Tyranitar woke up!
Tyranitar used Crunch.
Swampert lost 52% of its health.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 18% of its health.
Megatrumpetdude.'s Tyranitar fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
Swampert's leftovers restored its health a little!
Swampert restored 6% of its health.
---
Megatrumpetdude. switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Swampert's attack!
Salamence used Outrage.
Salamence went on a rampage!
Swampert lost 51% of its health.
Salamence lost 10% of its health.
Swampert used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Salamence lost 90% of its health.
Megatrumpetdude.'s Salamence fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Megatrumpetdude. switched in Lucario (lvl 100 Lucario ?).
Lucario used Crunch.
Swampert lost 9% of its health.
Senzairu's Swampert fainted.
Lucario lost 10% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Megatrumpetdude.: gg
Lucario used Swords Dance.
Lucario's attack was sharply raised.
Lucario was burned!
The sandstorm rages.
Lucario was hurt by its burn!
Lucario lost 12% of its health.
Cresselia was burned!
---
Senzairu: gg
Cresselia used Ice Beam.
It's not very effective...
A critical hit!
Lucario lost 30% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Lucario lost 12% of its health.
Cresselia was hurt by its burn!
Cresselia lost 12% of its health.
---
Lucario used Crunch.
It's super effective!
Cresselia lost 50% of its health.
Cresselia used Ice Beam.
Lucario lost 15% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Lucario lost 11% of its health.
Megatrumpetdude.'s Lucario fainted.
Senzairu wins!
Megatrumpetdude.: Man that thing is durable.
This one is a bit shorter since my opponent left early, but it still shows Cresselia's effectiveness. Plus, it shows off the merit of this set's surprise value.

Code:
Rules: Evasion Clause, Extended Game, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Sleep Clause, Soul Dew Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Timed Battle
George Lopez7 sent out Smeargle (lvl 100 Smeargle ?).
Smeargle used Spore.
Cresselia fell asleep!
---
George Lopez7 switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Scizor fell asleep!
Cresselia was burned!
---
George Lopez7: lol wtf?
George Lopez7: Didn't see that coming.
George Lopez7: So wait, now I'm sleeping?
Senzairu: Yeah.
George Lopez7 switched in Smeargle (lvl 100 Smeargle ?).
Cresselia used Ice Beam.
Smeargle lost 39% of its health.
---
Smeargle used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Cresselia used Ice Beam.
Smeargle lost 40% of its health.
---
Smeargle used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
Cresselia used Ice Beam.
Smeargle lost 20% of its health.
George Lopez7's Smeargle fainted.
---
George Lopez7 switched in Rotom-h (lvl 100 Rotom-h).
A sandstorm brewed!
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar was hurt by Spikes!
Rotom-h used Trick.
Rotom-h obtained Choice Band!
Tyranitar obtained Choice Scarf!
The sandstorm rages.
Rotom-h is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Rotom-h lost 6% of its health.
---
George Lopez7: :(
Tyranitar used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
Rotom-h lost 94% of its health.
George Lopez7's Rotom-h fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
George Lopez7 switched in Lucario (lvl 100 Lucario ?).
Pointed stones dug into Cresselia.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Pointed stones dug into Jirachi.
Jirachi lost 6% of its health.
Jirachi was hurt by Spikes!
Jirachi lost 12% of its health.
Lucario used Extremespeed.
Jirachi lost 33% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
George Lopez7: Crud.
Lucario used Extremespeed.
Jirachi lost 36% of its health.
Jirachi used Fire Punch.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Lucario lost 80% of its health.
George Lopez7's Lucario fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Senzairu: No Crunch?
George Lopez7: No, Stone Edge.
Senzairu: Ah
George Lopez7: gg
George Lopez7 has left the room.
Senzairu wins!
One of my most early trial runs with PsychoCress. And she was clearly the MVP of the battle.

Code:
Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Soul Dew Clause
Mewthe sent out Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
A sandstorm brewed!
Mewthe switched in Flygon (lvl 100 Flygon ?).
Flygon makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Swampert's attack missed!
The sandstorm rages.
---
Flygon used Toxic.
Swampert was badly poisoned!
Swampert used Stealth Rock.
The sandstorm rages.
Swampert is hurt by poison!
Swampert lost 6% of its health.
---
Flygon used Earthquake.
Swampert lost 20% of its health.
Swampert used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Flygon lost 82% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Flygon's leftovers restored its health a little!
Flygon restored 6% of its health.
Swampert lost 12% of its health.
---
Mewthe switched in Empoleon (lvl 100 Empoleon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Empoleon.
Empoleon lost 6% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Cresselia was burned!
Empoleon's leftovers restored its health a little!
Empoleon restored 6% of its health.
---
Empoleon used Roar.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Empoleon was burned!
Empoleon used Roar.
Senzairu switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
The sandstorm rages.
Empoleon was hurt by its burn!
Empoleon lost 12% of its health.
---
Scizor used Superpower.
It's super effective!
Empoleon lost 84% of its health.
Scizor's attack was lowered.
Scizor's defence was lowered.
Empoleon used Surf.
Scizor lost 64% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Empoleon's leftovers restored its health a little!
Empoleon restored 6% of its health.
Empoleon was hurt by its burn!
Empoleon lost 10% of its health.
Mewthe's Empoleon fainted.
---
Mewthe switched in Hippowdon (lvl 100 Hippowdon ?).
Hippowdon's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Pointed stones dug into Hippowdon.
Hippowdon lost 6% of its health.
Scizor used Roost.
Scizor restored 50% of its health.
Hippowdon used Stealth Rock.
The sandstorm rages.
Hippowdon's leftovers restored its health a little!
Hippowdon restored 6% of its health.
---
Cresselia makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Hippowdon used Earthquake.
Hippowdon's attack missed!
The sandstorm rages.
Cresselia was burned!
---
Hippowdon was burned!
Hippowdon used Roar.
Pointed stones dug into Scizor.
Scizor lost 12% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Hippowdon was hurt by its burn!
Hippowdon lost 12% of its health.
---
Scizor used Roost.
Scizor restored 26% of its health.
Hippowdon used Earthquake.
Scizor lost 25% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Hippowdon used Slack Off.
Hippowdon restored 19% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Scizor used Bullet Punch.
Hippowdon lost 49% of its health.
Hippowdon used Roar.
Salamence's intimidate cut Hippowdon's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Salamence.
Salamence lost 25% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Salamence used Roost.
Salamence restored 31% of its health.
Hippowdon used Slack Off.
Hippowdon restored 50% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Salamence used Draco Meteor.
Hippowdon lost 76% of its health.
Mewthe's Hippowdon fainted.
Salamence's special attack was harshly lowered.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Mewthe switched in Aerodactyl (lvl 100 Aerodactyl ?).
Aerodactyl is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Aerodactyl.
Aerodactyl lost 25% of its health.
Aerodactyl used Stone Edge.
Jirachi lost 32% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Jirachi used Iron Head.
It's super effective!
Aerodactyl lost 75% of its health.
Mewthe's Aerodactyl fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Mewthe switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Jirachi used Iron Head.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Tyranitar lost 88% of its health.
Mewthe's Tyranitar fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Mewthe: freaking crit
Mewthe switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Pointed stones dug into Metagross.
Metagross lost 6% of its health.
Senzairu: Yeah, because it really would have mattered.
Pointed stones dug into Swampert.
Metagross used Earthquake.
Swampert lost 40% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Mewthe: ttar has mad def
Mewthe: i've never seen jirachi deal more than 60%
Mewthe: and i had a counter ready
Metagross used Earthquake.
A critical hit!
Swampert lost 21% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Senzairu: Plus 60% chance of flinch, and not to mention BP Scizor.
Mewthe: true
Mewthe: but i would've killed jirachi
Pointed stones dug into Flygon.
Flygon lost 6% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Cresselia was burned!
---
Flygon used Roost.
Flygon restored 50% of its health.
Cresselia used Rest.
Cresselia fell asleep!
Cresselia restored 61% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Mewthe switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Pointed stones dug into Metagross.
Metagross lost 6% of its health.
Cresselia used Ice Beam.
Metagross lost 9% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Metagross fell asleep!
Metagross is fast asleep!
The sandstorm rages.
Cresselia was burned!
---
Metagross is fast asleep!
The sandstorm rages.
---
Salamence used Fire Blast.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 79% of its health.
Mewthe's Metagross fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Pointed stones dug into Flygon.
Flygon lost 6% of its health.
Mewthe: that's a pretty neat strat. on cresselia
Senzairu: Thanks, I'm working on an anaylsis for it.
Senzairu: I'm hopinh they put it on the site.
Senzairu: *hoping
Mewthe: lol
Mewthe: i hope they do
Mewthe: because that pretty much beat my tam
Flygon used Toxic.
Salamence was badly poisoned!
Salamence used Draco Meteor.
It's super effective!
Flygon lost 74% of its health.
Mewthe's Flygon fainted.
Senzairu wins!
Mewthe: gg
Senzairu: gg
Cresselia acting as a great team player, sleep absorber, and status inducer.

Code:
noobiess sent out Smeargle (lvl 100 Smeargle ?).
Smeargle used Spore.
Cresselia fell asleep!
---
noobiess switched in Gengar (lvl 100 Gengar ?).
Cresselia used Ice Beam.
Gengar lost 38% of its health.
---
A sandstorm brewed!
Gengar used Shadow Ball.
Tyranitar lost 11% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Gengar is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Gengar lost 6% of its health.
---
Gengar used Focus Blast.
Gengar's attack missed!
Tyranitar used Crunch.
It's super effective!
Gengar lost 56% of its health.
noobiess's Gengar fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
noobiess switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
The sandstorm rages.
---
Scizor used Night Slash.
Swampert lost 32% of its health.
Swampert used Stealth Rock.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Scizor used Night Slash.
Swampert lost 35% of its health.
Swampert used Roar.
noobiess switched in Blissey (lvl 100 Blissey ?).
Pointed stones dug into Blissey.
Blissey lost 12% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Blissey is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Blissey lost 6% of its health.
Blissey's leftovers restored its health a little!
Blissey restored 6% of its health.
---
Blissey used Stealth Rock.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Cresselia woke up!
But it failed!
The sandstorm rages.
Cresselia was burned!
Scizor's leftovers restored its health a little!
Scizor restored 6% of its health.
---
Scizor was burned!
The sandstorm rages.
Cresselia was burned!
Scizor was hurt by its burn!
---
Pointed stones dug into Swampert.
Scizor used Night Slash.
A critical hit!
Swampert lost 34% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Scizor used Night Slash.
Swampert lost 12% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Jirachi used Fire Punch.
Blissey lost 22% of its health.
Blissey was burned!
The sandstorm rages.
Blissey was hurt by its burn!
---
Blissey used Softboiled.
Blissey restored 50% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Tyranitar used Pursuit.
Blissey lost 33% of its health.
Blissey used Counter.
Tyranitar lost 77% of its health.
Senzairu's Tyranitar fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Salamence's intimidate cut Blissey's attack!
noobiess switched in Tentacruel (lvl 100 Tentacruel ?).
Pointed stones dug into Tentacruel.
Tentacruel lost 12% of its health.
Salamence used Brick Break.
Tentacruel lost 26% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Tentacruel is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Tentacruel lost 6% of its health.
---
Tentacruel used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Salamence lost 59% of its health.
Senzairu's Salamence fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
A critical hit!
Scizor lost 31% of its health.
Scizor used U-turn.
Tentacruel lost 36% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Jirachi lost 12% of its health.
Jirachi used Iron Head.
Tentacruel lost 7% of its health.
noobiess's Tentacruel fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
noobiess switched in Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).
Pointed stones dug into Starmie.
Starmie lost 12% of its health.
Starmie used Surf.
Scizor lost 45% of its health.
Senzairu's Scizor fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
Starmie is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Starmie lost 6% of its health.
---
It's super effective!
Starmie lost 82% of its health.
noobiess's Starmie fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Blissey lost 20% of its health.
noobiess's Blissey fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
noobiess switched in Smeargle (lvl 100 Smeargle ?).
Pointed stones dug into Smeargle.
Smeargle lost 12% of its health.
Smeargle used Spore.
But it failed!
The sandstorm rages.
Smeargle is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Smeargle lost 6% of its health.
---
Smeargle used Agility.
Smeargle's speed was sharply raised.
Cresselia used Ice Beam.
Smeargle lost 71% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Smeargle is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Smeargle lost 6% of its health.
---
Smeargle used Endeavor.
Cresselia lost 30% of its health.
Cresselia used Ice Beam.
Smeargle lost 4% of its health.
noobiess's Smeargle fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
Cresselia lost 2% of its health.
Senzairu's Cresselia fainted.
---
Jirachi used Fire Punch.
It's super effective!
Scizor lost 62% of its health.
noobiess's Scizor fainted.
Senzairu wins!
noobiess: gg
noobiess has left the room.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Battle logs (generally) are 10 matches back-to-back, not handpicked (aka Find Match, save log, Find Match, repeat).

Battle logs (generally) are 10 matches back-to-back, not handpicked (aka Find Match, save log, Find Match, repeat).
That wasn't in the rules. But I really don't think it matters anyways, especially in the case of an analysis. This is because an analysis is meant to show how effective a set is, and how to use it, while also listing the drawbacks.

However, a shoddy battle situation distracts from the analysis perspective that should be used here. The reason is because this type of analysis is meant for a single Pokemon, and a single moveset. You could do what you said and have ten matches in a row, but if you get horribly outplayed, haxed, or the opponent has a superior overall team, than all of these things distract from the analysis of the moveset. In-battle skill, luck, and to a lesser extent overall team building, too easily distracts from what should be an objective overview of a Pokemon's moveset.

except it's hard to determine whether getting "outplayed" or having a "team disadvantage" was caused by the fact that you're using this set, which is why C&C logs for this purpose should *never* be hand-picked. let's say you decide to use a really bad set, like substitute + three attack blissey. you play 100 matches and blissey is complete deadweight in 95 of them because the set is atrocious. then you catch people off-guard in the other 5 matches by focus punching a tyranitar or something -- your logs sound sweet (walled xyz and killed tyranitar!) but the set still sucks because it did nothing in 95% of your battles (yes I know even a sub 3 attack blissey is likely to wall special attackers more than 5% of the time but let's just assume it didn't for the sake of argument okay).

edit: why isn't trick slashed with rest talk... mti used that for what, over a year now? and god knows he loves this set and has probably used it more than anyone else who plays competitive pokemon. (which means that modified set is definitely viable and possibly better than the current version)

Um, this set might work now, but once Sleep Clause gets updated, its utility will drop significantly. Basically, after you put a Pokemon to sleep, if you use Sleep Talk again, you will have a 1/3 chance of instantly losing the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)